BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] JACK WALKER Anniversary

I think our struggles as a club over the last few years have put into context just how lucky we were to have Jack. Plenty of clubs have this inner turmoil, wondering whether there's gonna be any money to spend in the transfer window, wondering if they can trust the owners/manager to do whats best for the club.

Jack took care of all that. He was like the dad of this club, we never had to worry about money, never had to worry about anyone screwing us over and never had to worry that if things started going in the wrong direction that it wouldn't be sorted out.

What always sticks iny my mind is what players have said about how he went into the dressing room before each game to wish them luck and say just do your best. I'd have been honoured to play for a club owned by someone like that and I'm sure they were.

He made Rovers special and brought back the glory days, thats something thats easy to take for granted but ask any Preston/Burnley fans whether they've felt that special over the last few decades. Soccer AM have 4 giant photos/banners above that shooting game this season of all the premier league winners, made me strangely very proud when I saw it last saturday morning eating my cornflakes!

All down to 1 man, absolute legend. RIP Uncle Jack.

My two biggest memories of Jack Walker is him saying "we will have to win it again next year", walking around with the PL cup and then Andy Gray saying Blackburn can dominate the league for year and years to come.

And him crying at Man U when we got relgated in 1999.

Shame he had bad advisers from 1996 to 1999, but 1991 to 1995 was just magic. shame we will never probably see that again in our life time.

Just a shame we couldn't have had a few years of competing for honours after 95'- even Jack would have been blown out the water by the Chelski revolution c2003.

Or at least won the FA Cup- which he desperately wanted. It wasn't to be, but that day at Anfield can never be taken away.

• Backroom

RIP Uncle Jack, so glad you saw the dream realised, for all of us.

Leicster is also one of my first Rovers memories, remember the service stations being crammed with yellow and t shirts saying about 'Loadsa loadsa money' (I still remember the first words on commentary for the game as well 'One last place on the gravy train remains')

Is it my memory playing tricks on me but was he referred to as Big Fat Jack back then until he expressed that he wasn't keen?

Hesfromburn:

Can I ask you why you have -1'ed most of the posts on here?

Mods, is this guy a dingle or what? He seems to have posted a good amount of Rovers related posts but I cannot explain his behaviour in here...

Its days like this that makes me proud to be part of the best supporters in the world,

Everywhere I have looked today, or every supporter I have spoke to has dedicated their day to the memory of Uncle Jack,

Jack would be mighty proud of you all and be looking down blushing at us soppy lot.

Thankyou everyone for continuing his legacy, I'm so glad I came across this site, its great to share each other thoughts, and with supporters like ours the flame that is Blackburn Rovers will burn brightly forever :blush:

Thinking of Jack today and reflecting on the amazing times we were all able to share down to his generosity and love for our club. I met Jack a few times and every time he was a true gent, friendly and had time for myself and my family members.

I'm so so proud of what Jack achieved for Blackburn Rovers and we have to make sure his legacy is never forgotten and is not allowed to be diminished under the new regime.

RIP Jack, it was a true honour to meet you and to be able to be involved in truly magnificent times due to all you did. Remembered with fondness, a huge smile and the kind of respect I afford very few.

Arte et labore

Back in 2004 I had a lengthy conversation with Tim Flower,

The following quote from Tim says a lot about Uncle Jack a Rovers supporter first and owner second.

I cant say I knew him personally. But he was a magnificent man. He attended every game travelling from Jersey home and away, and it wasn’t because of his position at the club, he just came to watch the team. He was a normal bloke but very powerful man. When I joined the club, I called him Mr Walker and he told me, that if I didn’t call him Jack, then I might as well ###### off back to Southampton.

We had some great nights out with him, he had a trick flicking coins into a glass, don’t know how he did it, but he used to bet us, how many he would get into the glass and won every time.

R.I.P. 'Uncle Jack Walker'....you are fondly remembered and sadly missed.

Generations of Rovers fans supported the club through thick and mostly thin and never saw Rovers F.C. win a Toffee Apple.Then came along a man with so much ambition,drive and desire to see his boyhood club return to past glories,he literally blew the opposition away...that man was Jack Walker.

The early 90's were indeed a very special time to be a Rovers fan,as a young lad I used to wish the week days away at work for Saturday 3:00 pm to come around at Ewood.There was an excitement around town at the time,some of you may be familiar with the term 'BOOMTOWN'...that really did sum up our little blue 'n' white part of East Lancashire at the time and Rovers and Jack Walker were the Fulcrum of it all.

They say you should never dwell on the past but I wish sometimes we were back at Wembley for the '92 play off final,just one more chance to ride the Walker roller coaster once more.Jack was indeed a legend and I doubt we will see the likes of him again at Ewood in my lifetime,I and my generation have been very blessed indeed.

UNFORGETTABLE! :rover:

Archived