BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

Nicholas Cage is crap, I cannot say I have seen a decent acting job of his that involves him as the main character, unless he has great supporting actors or people to share his limelight he is woeful.

He was brilliant in Raising Arizona, Wild at Heart and Matchstick Men. And he was solid in The Weatherman. Everything else he was in he is horrible....Ghost Rider looks like he's back to his crappy self...

And for anyone who likes Chan-Wook Park, the guy who did Oldboy, I saw his newest movie, I'm a Cyborg, And That's OK. It was quite strange and nothing like his earlier endeavors. It's not released here in North America, so I'm not sure if Europe gets it either, but it's worth a view. Not in the same class as Oldboy, but worth a watch.

Absolutly nothing on tv last night so l had a sift thru the old dvd collection. Ended up watching The Holy Grail, how good is that film !!! :tu: Forgot what an absolute classic it was. Life of Brian tonight for me.

God Bless Python :D

Absolutly nothing on tv last night so l had a sift thru the old dvd collection. Ended up watching The Holy Grail, how good is that film !!! :tu: Forgot what an absolute classic it was. Life of Brian tonight for me.

Always good to pick up a film that you havent seen in a while. Watched fight club again the other night - awsome

I love the deleted scenes from Life of Brian.

"'All of these men will live in infamy. Like that guy. And him."'

Just watched 24 Hour Party People. Class movie. I wasn't too sure what to expect seeing Alan Partridge (I'll always see Coogan as Alan Partridge...A-Ha) on my screen doing a mock TV report when opening a movie about the Manchester punk turned dance scene. I figured it out eventually, but it had me doing a doubletake. I'm sure many of you have seen it already, but I am glad I FINALLY saw it. Taught me a few things about the scene, that's for sure...

Just watched 24 Hour Party People. Class movie. I wasn't too sure what to expect seeing Alan Partridge (I'll always see Coogan as Alan Partridge...A-Ha) on my screen doing a mock TV report when opening a movie about the Manchester punk turned dance scene. I figured it out eventually, but it had me doing a doubletake. I'm sure many of you have seen it already, but I am glad I FINALLY saw it. Taught me a few things about the scene, that's for sure...

and look where the director is from.

After watching Pan's Labyrinth a couple of months ago and being thoroughly impressed, upon pay day this month I decided to invest in the Guillermo Del Toro Box Set which had Pan's Labyrinth, The Devils Backbone and Cronos in it.

The Devils Backbone is another superb Spanish Civil War based horror/thriller and I would highly reccommend purchasing this set for around £20.

Haven't got round to watching Cronos yet, which apparently is one of his earlier creations and is also very, very good.

Flopsy - can you give me a vague idea what it's about? Ienjoyed Sin City and I'm told it's by the same guy.

Bourne Ultimatum is out this year. I was very disappointed by the last one (Bourne Supremacy). None are following the plotlines of the books which is a damn shame.

You must be one of the few who doesn't like the Bourne films. They are truly superb.

300 is based on graphic novelist Frank Miller's take on the battle of Thermopylae, so it's far from historically accurate. While it's true that only 300 Spartan soldiers fought there, the size of the opposition Persian army is unlikely to have been a million as suggested in the book and film. Saying that it was a vastly superior force. And they kicked ass quite frankly.

I do like the Bourne movies on their own, but using the names of the books is a bit deceitful. The books are far superior and would have made great movies (they did a TV miniseries of the first one in the late 80s which I vaguely remember being good).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094791/

Wolverine - stylised remake of the Graphic Novel (at times almost perfect translation from page to screen)

Involves the Persian King/God Emperor wanting to invade Ancient Greece (at the time a nation of allied City States) with a massive hoard.

Leonardis, King of Sparta, realises that they need to stop the invasion and can use a mountain pass to negate the Persian's superior numbers.

Some Politicking takes place which means that the Spartan army can not march and Leonardis then takes 300 hand picked troops to the "Gates of Fire" to stop or at least delay the Persian advance.

In reality, 300 spartans went out and fought, along with household slaves and ancilleries, but that doesnt make such artistic prose.

The battle gave time for the City States to mobilise and then fight a battle the following year which allowed Western Civilisation to continue on its path.

Some Trailers

Its a silly film, but I really enjoyed it

Sounds interesting - maybe the next time me and the missus are off I will take her and pretend it is a chick flick!

For the record, I really like the Bourne Identity, but was let down by the sequal. As American said - the books plotlines are better...

Flopsy - can you give me a vague idea what it's about? Ienjoyed Sin City and I'm told it's by the same guy.

Read 'Persian Fire' by Tom Holland. It is one of the best history books I've read, and it will give a good account of how the war started, the importance of Thermopylae and so on. The book also describes Spartans of both genders as 'anally proficient'. Fruity.