BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Movie Discussion

If it's a Japanese film you want try 'Spirited Away' (Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi) by Hayao Miyazaki. It's animated but not just a kids film and is a classic.

It's rated 51st best film of all time at IMDB...very high for a foreign film - Spirited Away.

As for something like Constant Gardener...The Tailor of Panama is another Le Carre adaptation and although not has good is still an interesting film.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

I finally got to see Borat last weekend. TBH I was disappointed and I don't really see what all the fuss was about. Yes there were some wonderfully funny moments, I have friends who would be quite disgusted and po faced that I laughed loudly at some of the cringingly funny jokes, but hey that's life. It's in no worse taste than some of the "Ipswich" jokes doing the rounds. Overall the film is not especially funny, I had expected almost a laugh a minute, but does do an excellent job of pointing a finger at many aspects of our society, and not just America.

I belong to a film club, we meet monthly, and I won't be making Borat my choice to show people in February as two of the members would be quite appalled. In fact one lady would probably walk out!!!!! I don't mind stimulating conversatioon but I won't insult a close friend.

The group meets monthly, each person hosting the evening in turn, we watch the movie have a drink and discuss the film, bit like a book club. The last two films have been The Constant Gardner and a 90 minute Japanese cartoon I've forgotten the name of. Any suggestions out there for something which will be both enjoyable and stimulating ~ we don't need James Bond or the latest shoot 'em up from Hollywood

Kurosawa's Ran is great, as is Hitchcock's Rear Window. I really must recommend the latter, it is amazing.

Edited by Rovermatt

Not to keep harping on about it but it truly is a masterpiece. The tension that Hitchcock evokes from a story in which a bored guy sits idly in his room is incredible. Without giving anything away, there is a supreme sense of security and ease at the beginning at of the film only for the whole atmosphere to change gradually as the plot unfolds. If you see no other film for the rest of your days make sure it's this one.

I went to see Flags Of Our Fathers last night. It's a very different take on the genre. I would recommend it.

I'm told Howls Moving Castle is superior to Spirited Away - but that kind of thing isn't my cup of tea so I can't vouch for that personally.

You were told wrong I'd suggest (although it isn't my favouite of his) but each to their own. They aren't that easy to get into for the normal viewer I'd think but they are a bit special.

As for another kind of Asian film...try Oldboy, a brilliant South Korean gangster film. Might be a bit violent though so I'll echo Matt's suggestion of 'Ran' even though it isn't Kurosawa's best...that would be 'Shichinin no samurai' (The Seven Samurai) which may well be the greatest film ever. Seriously...if you watch it and don't like it then you are thick.* Usually I hate when people say things like that but...meh, in this case it is warranted. :P

* - Actually that might sound worse than I meant it to...but (hey!) we do have our own favourite movies to defend.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Just finished watching Rocky Balboa (very slow day at work) and it was actually very entertaining. I recommend it for anyone that liked the original films.

I really enjoyed it. It felt like bumping into an old mate you haven't seen in years and taking them for a pint.

A genuine rosy glow after watching it.

Brill :tu:

On the airplane a few weeks back I had the pleasure of seeing "Little Miss Sunshine." One of the best films I've seen in years. I laughed, I cried. Very quirky and cute, with some great characters and great actors.

The Fantastic Four sucked but could this redeem it?

If they get Galactus right, then maybe.

Although, I thought the first one was alright. Sure, it had its faults but not bad for a first go I suppose. Alba looked fantastic, they got the Torch working (good fire/flame effects) and Ben Grimm kinda worked. Mr. Fantastic needs some work though and they managed to screw up Dr. Doom.

The Surfer looks great though and this could work...if they get Galactus right.

ITS GREAT HAVING YOUR G/F DAUGHTER WORK AT THE CINEMA HEE HEE..went and watched deja vu.....going onto one of phls points if you could go back in time and kill hitler and bin laden before threy got going ,how many lives could be saved.