BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Steve Kean Thread (Poll reset after Stoke game)

Glenn

958 members have voted

1. 1. Should Steve Kean be sacked

The heartening thing about that table posted by the ex member formerly known as TGM is the position of the teams below us, all of them at the bottom whereas we sit above halfway.

It would take some swing for them to catch us now but I actually expect a QPR win tomorrow to start it for them

I just checked our points average/form since the draw at Liverpool... pretty impressive.

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been saying for a long time that if Steve Kean wants to prove us wrong by winning games then that's fine by me.

After all, he won't have been deliberately losing matches in the first place you know. There seems to be a feeling amongst some fans that Kean and Venkys are part of some conspiracy to doom Rovers to lower league football and perhaps even destruction altogether. You've got to realise that its in neither Kean's nor Venkys' interests for Rovers to go down.

I must say, I do feel as though Kean's been learning from his mistakes. Early in the season we frequently went 1-0 maybe 2-0 up by half time and then he'd put 11 men behind the ball for 45 minutes and let the opposition play and we'd concede 2 maybe 3 goals and either draw or lose. This was my main issue with Kean, it exasperated me how we could go from a winning position to lose points so regularly.

Recently though, perhaps due to a stroke of luck and a few points giving confidence and allowing Kean space to experiment, perhaps since the new Assistant Managers come in, who knows? I've noticed Kean's tactical decisions have made a lot more sense and have been fruitful in terms of points.

If Kean keeps us up relatively comfortably as looks promising, keeps the side playing as they're playing and if he can either keep Hoilett or replace him at the end of the season if he goes, then i'd really give him another season. I really think that the progression he's making under the pressure and in fact hostility as a manager has deserved it. I think the players seem to be responding to him too and we're looking more like a team than we have for a long long time. Whereas from his appointment until December 2011, i would've hit 'sack him now!' i now really want to give him more time and for now, my support.

Let's have it right, two relegation battles in 15 months is not a sign of a good manager.

However, it's time for us all to be realistic, he is probably in the strongest position of anybody at BRFC, so, if we do survive, we haven't much choice than to hope he does improve.

What our crowds will fall to in order to facilitate the Steve Kean trainee scheme is anyones guess, though.

So let me get this straight, Steve Kean is now a good manager because he's managed to beat an awful Wolves and a Sunderland team that have forgotten how to play football?

This happened last year, we started picking up results in the last 10 games and suddenly Rovers fans were 'wrong' top bash Kean and Venky's 'right' for 'sticking with their man'. But what about the first 30 games of the season that puts us in the relegation zone in the first place?

Lots of Revisionism going on! Lets get saved from Relegation. Lets also get to the final of the FA Youth Cup.

This week might be the best week of the whole Season!!

At last this is BRFCS with the emphasis on the S. The lowest point of this fantastic MessageBoard was the "Who is not buying a Season-Ticket?"

thread and the continuous agression to optimists like Hughesy,RoversMum and latterly the loquacious Braddock.

BarmyArmy,Never felt more like singing the Blues, COYB and Thursday's No Nay Never. Got your ticket for Thursday evening yet?

Tony Gale's Mic here, as many of you will know I was one of the most vehemently opposed to Kean ever since he was appointed. However fair is fair and for the first time in his reign I feel he's stitched together enough of a run over enough games to get the fans off his back for now.

Previously he'd get a good run over four games, and even then the defence would still look decidedly dodgy but we'd scrape wins together. Now the good run has lasted a lot longer than four games and we actually look like we're improving at the back.

I'm still of the opinion he most likely isn't the right man for the job, you can't just ignore the shocking record that came before, much like when Sam went on an extended poor run resultswise you couldnt ignore his previous good record. However for the first time I can say if we (hypothetically) sacked him tomorrow I wouldnt support it.

Hypothetically again (because we know this wont happen) if we brought in a new manager over the summer with more of a proven track record I would support it but if things carry on this way until the end of the season I wouldnt be that upset if we persisted with Kean. I do worry about when we lose Junior Hoilett though and with our financial problems I can't see the Samba money being spent.

Still, since December 31st this is the form table in the league:

20i7zp3.png

Only two points less than O'Neill has done and better than the likes of Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea. Swansea have been phenomenal.

Welcome back TGM - you've been missed by some.

Totally agree with his record since 31 Dec., however, he's still strongly disliked and, unfortunately, for him, always will be at Ewood.

Good result last night, when exactly did Black join?

It seems to me it was right about the time we started improving.

We need him to stay to the summer in a big way.

As for kean........I was delighted with the result and really enjoyed watching the highlights until his interview.

Never forgive and never forget!

Well creit where credits due, Kean has managed to get back to back wins and the team have managed to keep 2 clean sheets, so well done Steve Kean things are looking up, you should be very proud.....

But sadly that doesn’t detract from the real issue here, you’re not good enough to manage Blackburn Rovers, the last 15 months have proven that beyond a doubt, your record is truely awful.

You’re also an unsavoury individual who will stop at nothing to ‘feather his own nest’ and if that means conducting a smear campaign against your own fans then so be it.

The sooner you’re hounded out of this club the better and take Barry Chuckle with you.

Credit to the manager and backroom staff for the overall performance last night. There is one point i would like to make, Kean got ever so slightly lucky with the subbing of Mauro. That needed to be done 10 minutes earlier, he was dead on his feet and the impressive Mclean was making constant inroads down our right. The luck came in the form of the Ji missing an open goal after McLean tore down our right again. Bradley Orr helped Lowe out with his fresh legs and stifled them to a greater deal after the sub. You could say it's a minor detail, but it so nearly cost us the win.

Credit where it's due, but i'm going to have to stop listening to Talksport after a Rovers game as some of the complete cretins who call up are starting to make me want to drive into the central reservation.

The clown that was just on, a non Rovers fan funnily enough, was comparing Keans performance to that of Brendan Rodgers. It's unbelievable how clueless some reprobates are.

Well creit where credits due, Kean has managed to get back to back wins and the team have managed to keep 2 clean sheets, so well done Steve Kean things are looking up, you should be very proud.....

But sadly that doesn’t detract from the real issue here, you’re not good enough to manage Blackburn Rovers, the last 15 months have proven that beyond a doubt, your record is truely awful.

You’re also an unsavoury individual who will stop at nothing to ‘feather his own nest’ and if that means conducting a smear campaign against your own fans then so be it.

The sooner you’re hounded out of this club the better and take Barry Chuckle with you.

+1

Lots of Revisionism going on! Lets get saved from Relegation. Lets also get to the final of the FA Youth Cup.

This week might be the best week of the whole Season!!

At last this is BRFCS with the emphasis on the S. The lowest point of this fantastic MessageBoard was the "Who is not buying a Season-Ticket?"

thread and the continuous agression to optimists like Hughesy,RoversMum and latterly the loquacious Braddock.

BarmyArmy,Never felt more like singing the Blues, COYB and Thursday's No Nay Never. Got your ticket for Thursday evening yet?

Thanks for teaching me a new word!

Also thanks for the form guide in another post. Swansea really proved me wrong. I was confident we'd finish ahead of them.

Feels weird that at least one of Bolton or Wigan will go down, and even stranger that if not then it'll be us, from this position. I really hope it's Bolton though, as I like Wigan being in as you can tell it annoys some of the Southerners. ore importantly I couldn't stand to be the first team down from the three who came up in our promotion season. Such a wonderful record that I'd hate to put a stop to. Fulham down next year, complete with our safety.

To me Talksport is akin to Loose Women (and I'm disgusted to having watched/listened to both at some point or other). There's a debate created, usually one that that doesn't need discussing but at other times heavy weight issues which they aren't intelligent enough to debate with depth. One presenter takes one side of the fence, another presenter takes another side of the fence. They don't necessarily believe what they are talking about but they are stimulating discussion and caller participation. A few weeks later the individual presenters will be contradicting themselves on a similar issue, but by then it's all forgotten.

Then you've got Loose Women where they slate men for half an hour, but as soon as they get an attractive male guest they are falling at his feet and worshipping him. On Talksport you've got them encouraging the plucky Northern teams, yet as soon as they get above their stations, or as soon as they get a guest in who supports one of the fallen 'giants' their mood quickly changes.

I don't want to expose myself to such a ridiculous set up and so I don't listen to/watch either.

To me Talksport is akin to Loose Women (and I'm disgusted to having watched/listened to both at some point or other). There's a debate created, usually one that that doesn't need discussing but at other times heavy weight issues which they aren't intelligent enough to debate with depth. One presenter takes one side of the fence, another presenter takes another side of the fence. They don't necessarily believe what they are talking about but they are stimulating discussion and caller participation. A few weeks later the individual presenters will be contradicting themselves on a similar issue, but by then it's all forgotten.

Then you've got Loose Women where they slate men for half an hour, but as soon as they get an attractive male guest they are falling at his feet and worshipping him. On Talksport you've got them encouraging the plucky Northern teams, yet as soon as they get above their stations, or as soon as they get a guest in who supports one of the fallen 'giants' their mood quickly changes.

I don't want to expose myself to such a ridiculous set up and so I don't listen to/watch either.

What's more worrying the drivel on the shaw or the fact 3.2million adults tune in each week.

Although I have to say it's comedy gold at times listening to their reasonings.

Really looking forward to our third consecutive season of flirting with relegation next year under the Scottish Mourinho.

Now now we've got enough of our own thank you that we don't need to bringing Jose into the equation.

Stein

Busby

Ferguson

Shankly

Oh and to quote one:

"Some people say that Scottishness is a matter of life and death. I can assure you that it is much more serious than that."

Yep, we may now have a fighting chance of not being relegated this season, but it has still been a disaster of a season.

We expected an improvement over last season's disastrous second half of the campaign (i.e. the Kean part) but it has, in fact, been worse.

We are quite some way from being safe however. Some seem to be forgetting that, despite the heady heights of 2 wins in a row, we are still only on 28 points...

We are quite some way from being safe however. Some seem to be forgetting that, despite the heady heights of 2 wins in a row, we are still only on 28 points...

It truly shows how bad things have gotten that we're celebrating back to back clean sheets and victories, something Sam achieved within 2 matches (clean sheets) & 6 months for victories.

Seasons far from over and thinking we're safe will only bring ill-tidings.

• Backroom

His win % is still a pathetic 24% and he's still only managed something like 12 wins in 50 games. Granted 2 wins and 2 clean sheets against two terrible teams feels like we've won the lottery, but that just shows how low our expectations now are.

I'll give the coaching team some credit for our recent form - but they'll have to do much, much more to convince me Kean is up to the task of managing the club. I'm happy that we're in a good position to survive, and thankful that this season is one of the few where there are four truly awful teams giving us the opportunity to escape despite our overall atrocious record.

I thought doing it after a match would skew the results?

It would. Hence why I said I'm guessing it's pointless me requesting it. Midweek after the Bolton match? After all, a defeat there will be Armageddon again.

Archived