BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Post Kean - Next Manager

A bit presumptious - but so many topics to get rid of Kean - personally think the choice of next manager is just as important.

I think we could be limited on who would come.

For me the obvious candidate is Hughes and the taffy squad.

What would everyone think about a Souness and Tugay dream team ?

If our owners read this forum - your chance to put forward suggestions.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely not someone who has never managed in the Premier League before. We can't risk it.

Hughes is the obvious one but I doubt he'd come. Same issue with O'Neill.

I can't see past Alan Curbishley personally. Great record and knows how to work on a limited budget.

A bit presumptious - but so many topics to get rid of Kean - personally think the choice of next manager is just as important.

I think we have to look at managers who are currently out of work. Venkys will not want to pay compensation to another club.

anybody who is better than Kean has to be a candidate.

Mark Hughes would be my first choice.

Somebody on another thread mentioned Curbishley. Well he would be better than Kean, so yes I'd except him

Souness / tugay? Souness would be better than Kean, but sure I would be happy with him. He was saved from the sack last time thanks to newcastle. - Tugay, brilliant player, but too early for management imo

You can rule out Gus Poyet. Though he would be good at Rovers. His style of footbal is also good - But he will not want to leave Brighton.

Dave Jones - no linked to Kentario.

So for me it has to be either Hughes or Curbishley, especially as they are both not currently with a club.

That's strange, I seem to remember that Souness was quite unpopular with the fans towards the end of his tenure and the rumour mill was rife that he was in line for the sack anyway. Why would any manager want to come to Rovers when they see what is going on at the moment. I don't particulaly like Kean or hate him but he appears to have the confidence of the players and we would soon hear if there was widespread disatisfaction with him in the dressing room. He needs a chance and, using the old adage, a house divided against itself will fall. I didn't like Allardyce or his football but he still had my support while he was manager. I think that this will get loads of red buttons but some of you don't want to hear anything other than Kean out and some fans shout down and insult anyone who says anything against that.

Souness and Tugay now were talking.

As for Curbishley,please no,he may be a nice bloke but he's done nothing but struggle in the Premiership,a bit of a loser.

If Hughes did come back he'd be looking over his shoulder all of the time at the first more attractive opportunity.

Souness and Tuguy yeeee haaaaaaaa.

My choices would be:-

1st choice:- Mark Hughes. He was great manager when he was here. He massive over achieved 1st time! was the best manager since King Kenny.

2nd choice :- Claudio Ranieri. He has Proven PL experience and play very good football. He tactically very good. Has a Plan B. Kean doesn't.

3rd choice :- Alan Curbishley. He has Proven PL experience and can work on a very tight budget. Knows how to keep a side up in the PL on a tight budget.

4th choice :- Bernd Schuster. Played very good attacking football and produce results. very good tactical.

5th choice :- Karl Robinson. Risky choice but has produce good football and results at Mk dons. Has been a manager at MK Dons for 16 months now. Most of the players know him and heard players really like his coaching.

Shearer or Tugay or Nelsen I would be happy with also along as they bought in a excellent experience number 2 then I would take it compare to Kean!!!

I'd take Souey back in a shot, if he fancied it.

Yes, he lost the plot towards the end of his tenure here, but it doesn't detract from the fact that he's still 2nd only to King Kenny in terms of bringing modern-day success to the club.

My choices would be:-

1st choice:- Mark Hughes. He was great manager when he was here. He massive over achieved 1st time! was the best manager since King Kenny.

2nd choice :- Claudio Ranieri. He has Proven PL experience and play very good football. He tactically very good. Has a Plan B. Kean doesn't.

3rd choice :- Alan Curbishley. He has Proven PL experience and can work on a very tight budget. Knows how to keep a side up in the PL on a tight budget.

4th choice :- Bernd Schuster. Played very good attacking football and produce results. very good tactical.

5th choice :- Karl Robinson. Risky choice but has produce good football and results at Mk dons. Has been a manager at MK Dons for 16 months now. Most of the players know him and heard players really like his coaching.

Shearer or Tugay or Nelsen I would be happy with also along as they bought in a excellent experience number 2 then I would take it compare to Kean!!!

Your first four are ideal.. or a German OR anyone linked away from Jerome anderson

Souness and Tugay now were talking.

As for Curbishley,please no,he may be a nice bloke but he's done nothing but struggle in the Premiership,a bit of a loser.

Charlton under curbs in prem,

2000-01 - 9th (first season after promotion)

2001-02 - 14th

2002-03 - 12th

2003-04 - 7th

2004-05 - 11th

2005-06 - 13th

Guess what happened to charlton the season after he left???

2006-07 - 19th

So yeah he definitely is a loser isn't he! :wstu:

Personally I would prefer curbs over hughes, as I think he would probably stay with us, rather than jump ship after a sniff of success.

The sort-of rule: "Never re-appoint once they've left" would rule out Souness and [sadly] Hughes, although I doubt that the latter would want to come back, anyway - he's surely more ambitious; he'd see through the BS of "Champions' League in 4 years". I also couldn't see him flying to Pune every month or so to hear his masters' voice.

For me, that appears to leave three categories of candidate:

1. currently unemployed managers;
  2. managers of other Premier League teams;
  3. bright young things managing clubs in lower divisions.

1] I don't fancy Curbishley as manager; I know Wham fans who blame him for either weakening, or not strengthening sufficiently [not quite the same thing], their squad before he was sacked. Plus, I think he's been out of management for too long and I've always had the impression that he's one of those players/managers who doesn't fancy living outside the M25.

I wouldn't want O'Neill because, although I don't doubt he'd turn things round more or less straightaway, I do doubt he'd be with us for long enough to stabilize us and I doubt that our owners would be any more obliging to him in the long run than Randy Lerner was at Villa. Also, like Hughes [and Ancelotti or Ranieri], I don't think we'd figure on his radar these days. Maybe if Uncle Jack were still alive. . ,

Not Benitez. Please God, not Benitez!! :o

David Jones, I wouldn't dismiss out of hand. I think he's quite a good manager who'd stabilise us, although I doubt whether he has the "spark" to take us to the next level the owners envisage.

2] Accepting what PAFELL says about Venky's reluctance to pay compensation to another club, there are three current Premier League managers whom I rate who might just be tempted to jump their ship in favour of a club which [appears to have] spent as much during the recent window as we did. They are Coyle, Lambert and Moyes.

Even allowing for the fact that it would have been a direct move from the Dingles, which might have tainted him in the eyes of some, I argued with my mates in the pub that we should have gone for Coyle to replace Ince. Reading between the lines, you sometimes get the impression that money's tighter at Bolton than it may be here, so we might appeal to his ambition.

Lambert's still finding his feet at this level so, while I think he's a better manager than Kean [okay, I know; who isn't?!], I wouldn't go for him.

Moyes, on the other hand is an experienced Premier League Manager who's consistently proved successful on a shoestring. I was surprised to read in the programme for the Everton game that he's only 48 [no age for a Premier League manager] - he seems to have been around for ages. Arguably, Everton are a more turbulent club than we are at present and maybe, just maybe, he could be tempted.

3] While Everton appointed directly from PNE with no previous Premier League experience [and accepting that Lambert's was one of the names I threw into the frame when we had a discussion like this last year], I think that our present situation demands a manager with Premier League experience.

On that basis, I'd have Coyle, Moyes and possibly Jones on my short-list when the vacancy's created.

I also like Andy's suggestion of having Nelsen in the managerial team. I was in NZ this summer and spoke to people who'd known him when he was growing up. [One of the consequences of wearing a Rovers sweater in a NZ winter!] They spoke about him having shown leadership qualities from an early age and I'd like us to be able to keep harnessing those qualities. His involvement would also provide some continuity and stability when it's really needed.

Seriously ask yourself if the people you suggest would come. They will know exactly what is going on at Rovers and I can't see many people beating a path to Ewood while we are unsure of

A ) Would they would have money to spend.

B ) Would they would have complete control over transfers.

C ) Could they could bring their backroom team.

D ) Is there a team upstairs able to run the club.

We will just have to hope that Venkys are clever enough to know that if we go down it will kill the club. I am not joking when I say that. It will be the end of Rovers as we know it.

I also like Andy's suggestion of having Nelsen in the managerial team. I was in NZ this summer and spoke to people who'd known him when he was growing up. [One of the consequences of wearing a Rovers sweater in a NZ winter!] They spoke about him having shown leadership qualities from an early age and I'd like us to be able to keep harnessing those qualities. His involvement would also provide some continuity and stability when it's really needed.

Keeping these top quality people around is what the top clubs do, whether they do PR work or coach. At Rovers I am not sure there is anyone from the EPL winning side still working there?

Let see who the owners/Rovers appoint as manager???

I guess the club will have ask Pini Zahavi, V.Rao, Paul Hunt and Simon Hunt to come up with a short list just in case they intend to sack him this weekend??? (or at least this is what most clubs do before they sack a manager) :D:rover::brfc:

Mark Hughes would quite rightly be a very popular and probably successful appointment in the short term. Would he come? I think as long as he had final control over footballing matters and wasn't expected to travel to India every 3 weeks he'd accept it. It's hard to think of many bigger or richer clubs offering him a job in the near future given his bizarre departure from Fulham and squandering of millions at Man City. He still lives in the Cheshire region and would be loved by all supporters if he came. Yet Hughes would be a short term fix. Would keep us up and probably get us top 10 next season, but as he has shown in the past would happily jump ship as soon as more money came along.

Martin O'Neill would be my first choice, and it angers me that a manager of his calibre is out there for the taking and we have Steve Kean. He wants to come back to the Premier League, and again as with Hughes, probably won't be getting many top 6 offers anytime soon. If he came it would send out a great message from Venky's as to their ambitions, because O'Neill would expect guarantees as to finances and his control over the club. Both he and Hughes would want to bring their own trusted staff, none of this John Jensen nonsense who had never even met Kean before being appointed his assistant. People criticise O'Neill for walking away from clubs - well he did 5 years at Leicester & Celtic and 4 years at Villa - not many managers do longer than that these days. As far as managers go he has been shown as loyal and successful at every club he's been at.

Alan Curbishley knows the bottom half of the Premier League like the back of his hand, knows what is needed to keep a team in it. Would almost certainly take the job as another one who is looked upon unfavourably despite a fantastic managerial record.

Graeme Souness is a risky one, would take him immediately over Kean but has been out for 5 years and went stale here and at Newcastle. At very least would bring passion and fight back to the club and would not take anything less than 110%, which is where Kean is lacking.

Looking at managers in the football league is a very risky business as we proved with Paul Ince, yet people like Simon Grayson, Gus Poyet, Nigel Adkins or Ian Holloway all would be an improvement on Kean.

Somebody like Benitez would be a big gamble - has been known to throw his toys out of the pram when he doesn't get what he wants and squandered a fortune at Liverpool. Still would welcome him with open arms over Kean.

But finally I think that Eriksson could do a job for us. Vast experience in European football, would at very least keep us up. Knows how to deal with personalities in the dressing room and, more importantly, with agents like Jerome Anderson from his days at Man City. If Venky's are going to persist with agents having such immense power at the club then perhaps Eriksson would be the kind of man who would fit into the structure well.

Some good choices there but remember it's the Venksters we are talking about, let's run through a checklist to dismiss these first

1) Has Mr Anderson got any more son's?

2) Need a list of cousins / nephews of the Venkster's who are aged 18 and over and have watched 1 premier league game over the last three years.

3) Has Jason Roberts been in touch with Venksters since he gave an interview about stepping into management in the near future?

4) After securing promotion with Scunthorpe to div 1 on his copy of Championship manager 94/95 does Bling Venky hold any aspirations to take the job?

5) Will the lure of spicey chicken wings be too much for a dumpy little argy?

6) Does the manager of the highly sucessful Venkys Vietnam operations hold any interest in football?

If we can dismiss all the above would love Hughes or Souness back as there are a few players at the club that need a kick up the arse and these are the men to do it, Tugay as no2 to any of these with a view to taking over in the future would surely be a dream ticket

I am quite surprised no one has mentioned Ray Wilkins as an option at the club.

Great coach, great organiser, very knowledgeable and a man credited with the success behind Chelsea.

Even John Bond, Jimmy Mullen and Brian Potts could do a better job than Kean !!!!

Archived