BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Post Kean - Next Manager

lee clark is another paul ince situation, i was thinking of him the other day but he doesnt have enough experience yet. how about tempting trapatonni away from ireland, hes got massive experience, only problem is he would put keith andrews straight into the first team as soon as he got back from his loan spell.

• Replies 633
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm assuming Hughes won't come due to pride and Curbishley won't as Blackburn isn't London.

I would try (in order) for:

Moyes

Coyle

Halloway

Ranieri

Grayson

Assuming I couldn't get any of those 5 (7 if I'm wrong about Hughes or Curbishley), I would still fire Kean and appoint Parkes/Nelsen.

I'm not sure why Hughes is being ruled out by so many. He's an ambitious guy and he has quite a high opinion of himself (understandably so). He knows that the next big job wont fall into his lap and that you are quickly forgotten in football. He'd be crazy to not even talk to us and then it would be down to the powers of persuasion of the new young guys at the club. They would need to convince Hughes that the stifling, frustrating days of the Trust are over.

Hughes would work absolute wonders with our current squad. He'd be a brilliant appointment for us but I wouldn't count on him sticking around for too long.

Personally reckon there are plenty of good managers out there currently, just hope Venkys see that.

Like many I would love Hughes to come back even for just the rest of the season.. but not sure that he would even consider that. Of the others Bernd Schuster might be a good call, we often look to a managers record and not just their style of play, and would it fit with the players that we have.

Schuster has the career history (managing the best Real team going with a few of rovers recent targets in it), international credibility, he managed Salgado during what was one of his best seasons, has managed many small teams (e.g. taking Getafe to the point where they are a recognised name over here), has a little black book with some players that would make Venkys happy and his style of play would actually be near perfect for the attacking midfield players that we have.

Bar those two, Ranieri, Curbs et al are all going to be far superior and all come with track records way above what we currently have.

No i do not want Hughes or O'niel .... wat we have is a good blend of european young players ... bring in someone like Micheal Laudrup , Frank Rijkaard , Van Basten , Shuster even the old master Johan Cruyff (He'll be up for a chance in EPL)

Think why would clubs like man city and chelsea are going for these young european .. because of pedigree ... But these days i would take anyone other than kean ...

i was up to give him a chance , hell if no one gave mourinho , AVB and even furgeson a chance , they won't be where they are ... but one thing i failed to realise , all of them had lower league experience or worked as assistant to masters ....

:rover: :rover: :rover:

Hughes, Poyet/Moyes

You can forget Poyet. Unless he has a change of mind as of last week, he is more than happy at Brighton. This I am 100% certain of. Pity though as the football he has his team playing is very good.

Moyes, good shout, but depends on his loyalty to Everton.

Hughes, yes, but I am also conscious that he walked out on Rovers last time. Yet I can understand why he did. Being offered the city job at that time, a lot of managers would have been tempted by it.

Curbishley. Although better than Kean, you have to ask, if he is that good, why has nobody else taken him on.

Chris Houghton, I suggest maybe worth a shout. But having only just started at brum, very doubtful he would leave.

It really is difficult to consider a replacement for Kean and who is available. I just cannot see venky's wanting to pay compo to another team for their manager. So we have to look at those not in work.

A name mentioned to me not long ago was stuart pearce. Even though he has experienced club management before and did not do so well. He has had more experience now having been with the U21's. He certainly know the defence part of the game and has back bone and heart, that he could instill into the club. Not a bad shout in my opinion.

I know Hughes is a long shot, but if he notice all the thousands of fans who want him back, that got to make him feel good about himself tho? If I knew that "all" the fans wanted ME back, I would be flattered and I def would consider it. But then again, why leave Fulham and then just join us again, seems like a step back..

Anyway, until it is ruled out by either him or Venkys, Im still dreaming! :rolleyes:

I know Hughes is a long shot, but if he notice all the thousands of fans who want him back, that got to make him feel good about himself tho? If I knew that "all" the fans wanted ME back, I would be flattered and I def would consider it. But then again, why leave Fulham and then just join us again, seems like a step back..

Anyway, until it is ruled out by either him or Venkys, Im still dreaming! :rolleyes:

I think Hughes would consider it if Rovers gave him a small release clause. Why would he say no if he were free to take up other offers down the road? We acquire points and he gets to see other people( :blush: ), a win-win.

Everyone can bandy any name they like but the V's appointed venkean ! Enough said , oh btw them saying no to rafa your puddled, look at his record!

Your friends were badly advised though, they have since been fired off.

Grant or Rodgers no thanks. Poyet is risky!

I find it quite baffling that some posters would go for the likes of Poyet, Moyes, Curbs, etc before Benitez.

Because some posters know the idea of getting Benitez here is ridiculous. Even Moyes is far fetched.

Look at our appointments in recent history; they're either young, up-and-coming managers with a desire to prove themselves in the Premier League, or they're slightly unfashionable older names who are looking to get back into the game. And that was when we were perceived to be a good club to manage, God knows what our reputation in the game is like now.

Just because some posters are saying Poyet, Curbishley etc, it doesn't mean they believe them to be better managers than the likes of Benitez. They just have a better grasp on the reality of our situation.

Agreed. I find it quite baffling that some posters would go for the likes of Poyet, Moyes, Curbs, etc before Benitez.

He's probably the best manager out there for us yet people set there sights on a Championship manager. blink.gif

I'd prefer Hughes but Benitez would be good. Would he come? I love Rovers with the entire fibre of my being but I'd have to admit that we are a bit of a climb down from Inter and even Liverpool.

Alan Curbishley - Would bore the nuts off me but he's a better bet than Kean.

Dave Jones - Good shout, although connections to Kentaro would open up a can of worms.

Mark Hughes/Martin O'Neil - My first choices. Can't see them coming here. Hughes has set his sights higher and O'Neil had trouble working with Randy Lerner, I doubt Venky's would appeal to him.

Rafa Benitez - Surely Rafa will be holding out for a bigger club?

Gus Poyet - We need an experienced head.

David Moyes - Would easily be first-choice if there was a hope in hell of him coming here.

Archived