BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Walter Smith

What does people think about, lets say Kean totally out and then Walter Smith as a manager? Wouldnt it be better than Kean?

Not a lot.

Walter did okay in the two team Scottish League but you will find many Evertonians loathed him and that's probably due to a very mediocre track record there.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want Kean out. Is that too much to ask for? These people have shown they are not afraid to sack at a moments notice, yet Kean has delivered nothing in 10 months and still hangs on in there. I'm beginning to come round to the notion that Kean's continued presence at the club is because he knows things that Venky's cannot allow out into the public domain. I think that bringing in a Director of Football would be a step in the right direction, it certainly couldn't make things any worse (other than giving Kean more time). However, sooner rather than later Kean needs to go, and I don't care how much the players like him. If Kean was to remain I just cannot see how it would work with say a Walter Smith at the club. Smith is old school and is used to being the boss. I doubt he would take too kindly to being ordered around by Steve Kean (lets remember Smith is one of the greatest Scottish managers of all time). A DoF might work if the DoF was the boss and told the coach what to do e.g. which team to play, but how can it work if the coach is the boss? He can just ignore the DoF if he wants to.

Lets just say that things could become very uncomfortable indeed on Sunday for Venky's & Kean if we see a repeat of the City game. A poor performance, combined with losing the game will likely result in mass demonstrations during and after the match. Whilst Kean can probably shirk it off by blaming misforune and coming along with his usual line of excuses, Venky's won't know what has hit them if they are exposed to the full force of supporters' anger.

I think it might be a little more uncomfortable than Balaji being exposed to the wrath of the Pune 9 and their intense questioning whilst on their holiday last week.

I know now that I won't enjoy the game on Sunday. Aside from the second half against Arsenal I haven't enjoyed a game all season. Watching Kean and Venky's squirm under a torrent of abuse goes a small way to compensating me for what has been 12 months of complete and utter rubbish.

Not a lot.

Walter did okay in the two team Scottish League but you will find many Evertonians loathed him and that's probably due to a very mediocre track record there.

Walter Smith did a decent job at Everton in trying circumstances. Just as many Everton supporters know and appreciate that as those who apparently "loathe" him.

He is worshipped by Rangers fans who hold him in the same esteem as Bill Struth, John Grieg, Jock Wallace and Jim Baxter. He ended Celtic's dominance under Martin O'Neill after doing an admirable job for the national side.

Much as I despise Alex Ferguson he thought enough of Smith to have him as his right hand man at Manyoo and his judgement of a football man is far, far more sound than that of the doom merchants, Suicidal Syds and Mob Members on here.

Smith is a winner who knows how to win, full stop.

He would be perfect for Rovers.

He was right that McClaren sitution at Forest. was spot on when he said McClaren gone. Couple of hours after McClaren had gone.

It was on Sky sports news that he was in talks with the owners hours before the news broke he'd been sacked.....

Not a lot.

If you look at Moyes record at Everton thats even more mediocre, not won a bean but loved by the fans.

Smith isn't the solution to our troubles, but I'd have him as manager now if it meant us getting rid of Kean. I've supported this man, argued his case on here many times, but I absolutely detest him as both the manager of our football club and as a man. He’s an extremely unpleasant individual and cannot remain at the club as far as I’m concerned. By all means demote him for starters, but then just get rid.

If you look at Moyes record at Everton thats even more mediocre

Are you kidding? The highest position Smith finished with Everton was 13th.

Moyes' league placings over the last few years read: 4th, 11th, 6th, 5th, 5th, 8th, 7th.

It's an astonishing level of consistency. At least you giving Sam such a hard time makes a bit more sense now - you're a hard man to please if you consider those finishes mediocre!

Moyes' league placings over the last few years read: 4th, 11th, 6th, 5th, 5th, 8th, 7th.

It's an astonishing level of consistency. At least you giving Sam such a hard time makes a bit more sense now - you're a hard man to please if you consider those finishes mediocre!

So Smith finished mid table every season, and Moyes finished slightly higher, what has Moyes won since 2002? nothing, not a sausage, thats very mediocre in my book.

It was on Sky sports news that he was in talks with the owners hours before the news broke he'd been sacked.....

He actually said it before it even broke on SSN. And also McClaren wasn't sacked, he walk away because he didn't get the Financial backing that he was told by the owner when he was offered the Job. The owner actually want him to stay!!!

He actually said it before it even broke on SSN. And also McClaren wasn't sacked, he walk away because he didn't get the Financial backing that he was told by the owner when he was offered the Job. The owner actually want him to stay!!!

Sacked, walked, sky sports news or whatever, lets hope he/she is right :tu:

A broken clock is correct twice a day.

I was listening on 5live and they said he was in a meeting as soon as the final whistle went.

So Smith finished mid table every season, and Moyes finished a but higher, what has Moyes won since 2002? nothing, not a sausage, thats very mediocre in my book.

I'm not even going to carry on with this conversation, it's ridiculous.

Walter Smith did a decent job at Everton in trying circumstances. Just as many Everton supporters know and appreciate that as those who apparently "loathe" him.

He is worshipped by Rangers fans who hold him in the same esteem as Bill Struth, John Grieg, Jock Wallace and Jim Baxter. He ended Celtic's dominance under Martin O'Neill after doing an admirable job for the national side.

Much as I despise Alex Ferguson he thought enough of Smith to have him as his right hand man at Manyoo and his judgement of a football man is far, far more sound than that of the doom merchants, Suicidal Syds and Mob Members on here.

Spot on.

I'm fed up reading that his accomplishments at Rangers mean nothing because he's in a 2 team league. If thats the case why hasn't every manager of the Old Firm teams managed 21 trophies in 10 seasons like Walter did? That includes building a team the second time with absolutely no money to wrest back the title from a dominant and far more wealthy rival.

The lack of respect for a man that has achieved what he has is quite astonishing.

I'm not even going to carry on with this conversation, it's ridiculous.

Oh....ok then.

Spot on.

I'm fed up reading that his accomplishments at Rangers mean nothing because he's in a 2 team league. If thats the case why hasn't every manager of the Old Firm teams managed 21 trophies in 10 seasons like Walter did? That includes building a team the second time with absolutely no money to wrest back the title from a dominant and far more wealthy rival.

The lack of respect for a man that has achieved what he has is quite astonishing.

:tu:

They try to bring MH and MO'N in as DoF. Both want to be managers not DoF.

Why has Walter Smith not come in as DoF then???

and why oh why haven`t we hired Hughes ot be manager if that is what he wants, and shifted Kean !

I rarely agree with DGS but I agree with the above. Walter Smith is a qualified, competent, experienced and respected manager.

We would be lucky to get him. Even luckier if we got Smith while at the same time getting rid of Kean.

Smith is almost 64 and whilst he would be an improvement on Kean, who wouldn't, there would have to be a question mark against his hunger, desire and motivation.

It's quite some time ago that SAF contemplated Smith as his No2.

Smith is almost 64 and whilst he would be an improvement on Kean, who wouldn't, there would have to be a question mark against his hunger, desire and motivation.

It's quite some time ago that SAF contemplated Smith as his No2.

An 18 or 30 month contract would see us ok, though. Smith could keep us up and keep us safe for a couple of years. That's the best we can hope for bearing in mind what's happened since we sacked Allardyce. Unfortunately, I think the Anti-Sam lot would be on his back almost immediately...

a huge factor in smith's defence is everton had been in decline for a good few years.managers generally struggled. mike walker, end of joe royales time and then kendall.

smith only had 3 seasons at everton.. and his record is pretty similar to moyes' 1st 3 seasons he finished in 15th and 17th place too (so quite similar).

of course moyes finished a superb 4th in between. ;)

you could argue -the everton board have shown patience in moyes.. again something they didnt give smith.

Archived