BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers vs Tottenham Hotspur preview

Blackburn Rovers v Tottenham Hotspurs

After a dismal run for the start of the season where our worst recorded start since 1888 was narrowly avoided with the draw at Fulham, we find ourselves up against a team to which we don't exactly have a promising history with...

2686244668-02022011213038.jpg

A quick glance at our past six encounters with Spurs isn't encouraging:

02/02/11 Blackburn 0 – 1 Tottenham

13/11/10 Tottenham 4 – 2 Blackburn

13/03/10 Tottenham 3 – 1 Blackburn

19/12/09 Blackburn 0 – 2 Tottenham

04/04/09 Blackburn 2 – 1 Tottenham

23/11/08 Tottenham 1 – 0 Blackburn

Just the one win and five losses, however our one win was at home so perhaps the boys will produce the goods to keep that good record going! :blush:

I'd now like to introduce Dear Mr Levy, a Tottenham Hotspurs fans blog that's featured in Four Four Two magazine, he was kind enough to answer a few questions and give us his prediction for this fixture:

Q&A with Nick from http://www.dearmrlevy.com/

How has your season gone so far, what is your final position prediction?

So far so good. Amazing considering the spankings we got off the two Manc sides. That's what you get for playing Niko in alongside Modric in midfield. Once the two new chaps started (Parker and Ade) and with King at the back, we've won 4 on the trot and look every bit the side we know we are. We just have to retain the momentum now. We've got a great home record (well, apart from sometimes dropping points to lowly teams) and we're very decent away and what with Arsenal looking flaky, you just have to aim for 4th. Would be rude not too. With Parker we have that much needed work ethic in midfield and with Ade we have cutting edge. So yeah, 4th. Have to believe.

Where do you see Rovers finishing this season?

It's a tricky one. Don't think your gaffer has a hold on the side and the longer the poor form continues then the more likely you'll spend the season trying to fight your way out of the bottom three. Got to be honest and say usually, every season I can more or less pick out three teams that will probably really struggle. I think Bolton are in a false position (thanks to their fixture list thus far). Wigan are probably contenders along with Swansea. Perhaps Wolves and Norwich. But at the minute (sorry) I have to group you in with them. The infamous managerial change over might kick-start your season.

What Spurs player do you see giving us the most problems on Sunday?

Adebayor if fit. Modric will hopefully dictate the midfield. That's not to say I've already sat back and lit up a cigar in celebration. I'm always cautious of games/teams that we are expected to beat. I'll be disappointed if we don't come away with the points, again, based on current form. But we both know how crazy the Prem can be at times. I think we need to be physical to then be able to play with quality.

Which Rovers player do you see causing you the most problems?

Samba from set pieces. We were linked to him so it wouldn't surprise me if he scored. I'm still haunted by that last gasp winner he scored at the Lane.

Unsung hero of your club?

BAE. He still gets stick from some, but I love him. He plays, he gets on with it, he went from a very erratic left back to being a rock in that position. The reason some of our fans still give him stick is that he makes so few errors when he does people tend to (unfairly) pick up on them. He's very much the anti-modern day footballer. And he has fantastic hair.

First thing you think of when someone says Blackburn Rovers?

Painful. As in 'painful away trip'. Been up there a few times. Remember one 0-0 a few seasons back on a cold cold night. We drove up there, so you can imagine the distance travelled from London. Also I guess 'chicken' is another thing that comes to mind. I do remember your title winning side and watching the game against Liverpool. Seems so long ago now. Must be strange for you having seen that but had no luck building on it.

Prediction for this fixture?

I'll have to go with a Spurs win. Possibly and uncomfortable one. 2-1. I'd say good luck but then deep down, I wouldn't really mean it.

;)

I believe this match is going to have some crucial battles within it which will dictate the final result.

Samba vs Adebayor

Emmanuel-Adebayor-Tottenham_2650156.jpg

Samba is really going to need to be on top form for this game, with the Togo striker in top form since his loan move from City. He's known to be a little inconsistent and to sometimes drift out of games, so if we can nullify this threat that will do us the world of good.

Hoilett vs Assou-Ekotto/Walker

David-Hoilett-celebrates-for-Blackburn2_2554505.jpg

This will be interesting to watch, as although you'd expect him to do better against Assou-Ekotto, he'll have help from Bale whereas Walker is usually left on the right side on his own (from what I've watched).

N'Zonzi vs Modric

Modric-001.jpg

The Croatian playmaker still isn't playing in the same form as he was last season, whether it be due to his injury or the transfer talk over his head. Make no mistake though, he's still able to pull strings in that central role. I've singled out N'Zonzi but in truth it will require both central midfielders and, more than likely, one of the centre backs. They'll need to impose on the player, try and cut supply to him or at least close him down quickly so he can only play short passes.

My final prediction:

Unfortunately due to our current form, a draw is probably the best we can hope for, however where's the fun in predicting that?

Blackburn Rovers 3 – 2 Tottenham Hotspurs

C.O.Y.B. :brfcsmilie:

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really interesting preview, bennyboy; although I suppose it's now so long enough ago that we can't really mention the League Cup win in Cardiff. The only thing which made being stuck on the "M4 Car park" after that game worthwhile was listening to Spurs' fans whingeing on "6-0-6" because we hadn't rolled over!

Coming back to this match, I fear another crucial battle, which you've not high-lighted, benny; and wonder if anyone has any influence with the League Against Cruel Sports? They might need to get involved if it's Bale v. Salgado.

With the best will in the world, I can't see us getting anything from this game. I hope I'm wrong, as we need the points in the here-and-now.

In the medium- to long-term, however, . . .

Nice preview and a good read.

Every credit to Mr Levy for open responses.

For me I see nothing but a Rovers defeat and it could be a heavy one. It depends on who scores first. Now spuds have lost Crouch it elaves the door open for a player I would have loved to see at Ewood, Jermaine Defoe. He is a quality player.

The midfield battle is a no joke area, Modric and whoever will easily dominate the Rovers central pairing.

I see Rovers adopting the usual 4-5-1 no idea formation with Roberts plowing the ruts and rolling the pitch. There are going to be soem heated scenes at Ewood this Sunday.

3-0 Spurs I am sorry to say. The end of any hope Rovers have for a Premiership future.

KEAN OUT

I dread to think about Salgado up against Lennon/Bale, hopefully Kean won't be as stupid as to play Salgado in this match, or if he does he needs to move the team about to offer him the support he's going to need.

Given that we're not that far from the pantomime season, allow me a "Oh, yes he will!" :wacko:

Ok - I'll put down first opinion of best team for this match :-

Robinson

Salgado - Samba - Dann - Givet

Lowe - Nzonzi - Grella - Olsson

Hoilett

Yak

Tactics - Olsson to provide extra cover for Lennon - and Lowe for Bale.

Gotta give Hoillet a free reign - with no defensive duties - to make up for what is a largely defensive set up.

Don't think this is the right match for Simon / Rochina or Formica - save them for Newcastle in mid-week :rover:

Brill preview :)

Now they've moved this to the Sunday I can't go because I've got tickets to watch the Bears at Wembley, but cannot say I am sad to be missing it, just not bothered! We'll get beat 3-1 I think.

Hope the protest goes well though!

Salgado against Bale. Modric, Van Der Vaart and Parker against N'Zonzi, Petrovic and Lowe. :(

Would it be crazy to consider playing Olsson at right back? Kean did put him there against West Brom when Jerome Thomas was tearing Salgado a new one. With Emerton gone we don't have a pacey option at right back any more. I wouldn't like the idea of putting Lowe there, a poor game could knock him back just as his confidence is starting to grow.

I'm not sure I'd want us to do that, but it did help against West Brom, and I can't think of many other options. I imagine Kean will play Salgado though.

Salgado against Bale. Modric, Van Der Vaart and Parker against N'Zonzi, Petrovic and Lowe. :(

Would it be crazy to consider playing Olsson at right back? Kean did put him there against West Brom when Jerome Thomas was tearing Salgado a new one. With Emerton gone we don't have a pacey option at right back any more. I wouldn't like the idea of putting Lowe there, a poor game could knock him back just as his confidence is starting to grow.

I'm not sure I'd want us to do that, but it did help against West Brom, and I can't think of many other options. I imagine Kean will play Salgado though.

Olsson at right back (or right midfield) isn't a bad shout. Being left footed he would be more vulnerable to getting beat down the flank - but we have plenty of height to cope with crosses (he says optmistically) - what worries me about Bale is how he can cut in - a left footer may be able to cope better with this.

Have no fear, I will single handedly save us...I have a cunning plan that's doing fine after one game. I opened an online betting account on Saturday, chucked a tenner on QPR to win and... da daaa... a point, away from home. On the back of this completely scientific eveidence, I will continue to do this until we lose. So, if we get in Champs league this year, you know who to thank! ;)

Have no fear, I will single handedly save us...I have a cunning plan that's doing fine after one game. I opened an online betting account on Saturday, chucked a tenner on QPR to win and... da daaa... a point, away from home. On the back of this completely scientific eveidence, I will continue to do this until we lose. So, if we get in Champs league this year, you know who to thank! ;)

And, presumably, you'll be paying for us to go to all the away games?! ;)

Ok - I'll put down first opinion of best team for this match :-

Robinson

Salgado - Samba - Dann - Givet

Lowe - Nzonzi - Grella - Olsson

Hoilett

Yak

Tactics - Olsson to provide extra cover for Lennon - and Lowe for Bale.

Gotta give Hoillet a free reign - with no defensive duties - to make up for what is a largely defensive set up.

Don't think this is the right match for Simon / Rochina or Formica - save them for Newcastle in mid-week :rover:

Spurs have nothing but pace out wide and both our full-backs have suffered massively against it, they will be targeted by spurs. So I wouldn't play them there and Salgado is old so he can have a break to be fresh for Newcastle.

Robbo

Dann Samba Givet Olsson

Grella (if fit) N'zonzi

Vuckevic Hoillet Formica

Rochina

Olsson with licence to bomb on, formica to force the full back narrow when required. Rochina wants to finish moves and has a poor end product, but yet is our top scorer so sod it lets play him where the end product is scoring goals, something he's doing quite well at present.

Hoillets pace in the middle can hopefully be used to exploit tottenhams weakness in that department and him running at them will scare them silly, hopefully. Vuckevic, well not being funny if he's able to do that against 'your lot' :P then he's ready to play in the prem, it makes no sense play him doughnut head.

Grella because despite his insistence on constantly floating his passes he's an old calm head and hopefully he can pick out some of the forward 4 with his passing. A skill we desperately lack.

Yes Dann at right back, Salgado will be suffering concussion he'll be that dizzy against Bale. Yes Lowe could play there but I want him fresh and I worry what Bale might do to him and his confidence. Danns played there he's not quick but no-one else can play here and I'd just really ask him to man mark Bale and hope his defensive talnet wins through. Givet CB he's better there, for about the 1000th time so play him there him and Samba have always looked good together.

That's what I think I'd do, it's a bit of a surprise and can hopefully exploit one or two of tottenhams weaknesses, IE lennon loses possession a lot and lack of pace in the CB positions. The three attacking midfielders means parker will be left running in circles (he'll have to move deeper if 2/3 of them stay centralish) as modric won't help much in that department and consequently hopefully N'zonzi N Grella will have less to do, hopefully.

Spurs have nothing but pace out wide and both our full-backs have suffered massively against it, they will be targeted by spurs. So I wouldn't play them there and Salgado is old so he can have a break to be fresh for Newcastle.

Robbo

Dann Samba Givet Olsson

Grella (if fit) N'zonzi

Vuckevic Hoillet Formica

Rochina

Olsson with licence to bomb on, formica to force the full back narrow when required. Rochina wants to finish moves and has a poor end product, but yet is our top scorer so sod it lets play him where the end product is scoring goals, something he's doing quite well at present.

Hoillets pace in the middle can hopefully be used to exploit tottenhams weakness in that department and him running at them will scare them silly, hopefully. Vuckevic, well not being funny if he's able to do that against 'your lot' :P then he's ready to play in the prem, it makes no sense play him doughnut head.

Grella because despite his insistence on constantly floating his passes he's an old calm head and hopefully he can pick out some of the forward 4 with his passing. A skill we desperately lack.

Yes Dann at right back, Salgado will be suffering concussion he'll be that dizzy against Bale. Yes Lowe could play there but I want him fresh and I worry what Bale might do to him and his confidence. Danns played there he's not quick but no-one else can play here and I'd just really ask him to man mark Bale and hope his defensive talnet wins through. Givet CB he's better there, for about the 1000th time so play him there him and Samba have always looked good together.

That's what I think I'd do, it's a bit of a surprise and can hopefully exploit one or two of tottenhams weaknesses, IE lennon loses possession a lot and lack of pace in the CB positions. The three attacking midfielders means parker will be left running in circles (he'll have to move deeper if 2/3 of them stay centralish) as modric won't help much in that department and consequently hopefully N'zonzi N Grella will have less to do, hopefully.

I like the logic to that, Majiball. All we have to do is stage a coup d'état at Ewood; depose Kean and install Majiball as our new manager before Sunday! :D

Well, here's my selection,

Robbo

Lowe Samba Dann Olson

Hoillet Nzonzi Formica Pedersen

Rochina

Blackman

Blackman chosen cos he can't be worse than any of the other puddings we play there.

We'd be thrashed with that side Majiball. There would be gaps everywhere and Spurs have the mid-fielders to exploit them and the strikers to finish off.

We''ll be beaten whatever side we put out so the bigger the defeat the better chance we have of Kean being sacked.

So on second thoughts--go for it!

We'd be thrashed with that side Majiball. There would be gaps everywhere and Spurs have the mid-fielders to exploit them and the strikers to finish off.

We''ll be beaten whatever side we put out so the bigger the defeat the better chance we have of Kean being sacked.

So on second thoughts--go for it!

You always have a chance in football, always.

I'm a little baffled by your gaps everywhere comment, care to expand as there are gaps in every formation that can be exploited. Spurs play 2 lines of 4 and by putting 3 people in between those two lines we'll force them to change.

We won't get anything sitting back against spurs, so lets have a go and get all of our best players on the pitch. Given the predicement we find ourselves in we need to do this as often as possible, to help the cause.

Archived