BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers vs Tottenham Hotspur preview

To quote a mate of mine in NZ, referring the World Cup Final, 'Bit close last night but as a talkback caller said: "Better an ugly win than a glorious loss'

When did we ever have an ugly win? Probably when Sam was managing us? [And I'm one who held no brief for the style of Sam's football; but who was grateful for the fact that he kept us in the top tier of English football beyond when we had any right to expect him to, given the financial constraints under which he worked.]

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

when rovers scored, i just sat in my seat for a minute before deciding to get up and clap, half-heartedly, i didnt cheer or shout with joy, i cant bring myself to cheer when rovers score at the moment, whenever we get a goal, a little more of me dies inside.

Sorry but in my opinion, whatever your views on the manager that's a disgrace

Sorry but in my opinion, whatever your views on the manager that's a disgrace

I must admit that when Rovers scored, when Formica scored, I didnt really feel anything. Ive always loved the feeling of a goal, when Rovers score, thats one of the most fantastic feelings in my life. But its not the same anymore, and I feel very uncomfortable with it! :(

You can call me a disgrace all day long, if that makes you feel better, but I dont feel any less of a supporter than anyone else. Yeah, I might be from Norway, I dont have the local connection to Rovers as most on here does, but Ive followed Rovers since I was a boy and I will untill the day I die, but at the moment I cant really recognise the footballfan in me. Its confusing.

I am sick, but I know the cure: KEAN OUT!! :tu:

Basically to beat Rovers at the moment all you need to do is this.

Attack our fullbacks at every opportunity and give your most creative midfielder a free role between our back 4 and midfield. It's that simple.

Chances are we'll concede at least two, and then we've got to hope that Yakubu or Roberts can remember where the goal is to have a chance of any points. Either that or we predictably launch long throws, free kicks and corners at Samba in the box.

• Backroom

sorry tom, just the way i feel, not against the players or the club, cant bare to see that big cheesey grin on baldy's face, i feel totally apathetic towards the whole mess right now, i hate feeling this way but i just do!!

Thanks for explaining, maybe I reacted harshly, I want Kean out as much as the next man but during a game I want us to win and nothing else (although Wednesday can be sacrificed IMO - yeah I'm a hypocrite)

• Backroom

I can see where roverandout is coming from tbf. I don't think any of us want Rovers as a club to suffer but the hatred for Kean runs so deep that it's difficult to celebrate anything he's involved in.

I have been in the Kean out camp for a long time now. I'm still up for a change. Yet when I look at the performances we've put in of late, if we were starting from here and ignoring history, it would be difficult to say why he should go. The players are playing for him and the football was exciting, well certainly against Spurs. Clement is I suspect having an effect given that the football has picked

up since here arrived and nothing else has changed. Clement is a Kean choice by the way.

Starting now then it's tough to see why I should be shouting for him to go. Looking at the history though it becomes blindingly obvious, 20% win ratio, relegation struggles for two seasons, dodgy personality etc. etc.

The reality of the situation though is that Venkys are not able to get (cannot afford) a proper manager so nothing is going to change on that front. Shouting at him on the ground will change nothing and can only have a negative effect of the players (you'd have to argue that it was welcomed by the players to counter that statement, and they say it's not).

So if we are improving, the owners aren't for changing him and hurling abuse is counterproductive to the players then what's the point of the protests? Even if he was to go who would replace him - a rhetorical question as none of the names on the list would come anywhere near at the current time. We would have to make do and mend which probably means promoting Clement, a coach, to tide us over until the close season. So again what's the point, that's where we are right now with a coach in charge, it would just be a Piric victory.

If one of the big boys was to come in as manager next week I'd dance naked in the centre circle, but we all know it's just a pipe dream, not going to happen. As overjoyed as I'd be to see a change I think that given where we are right now we have to move on from whipping ourselves up into an anti Kean frenzy before each and every match. Let's give him all the rope he needs to hang himself. People win the lottery every week, who knows Kean may become a good manager and get points on the board.

Time to put all this to bed and keep the vocal stuff for cheering on the lads on the park before, during and after the match.

Just my opinion, don't kill me.

Sorry, this is the worst post I've seen on here for a long time. Anyone who asks that question...

"If Kean goes, who are we going to get?" IS A COMPLETE MORON.

Conference MANAGERS are more deserving of this role than this disgusting piece of work.

Pease go and get some sense, your in need of it.

Sorry, this is the worst post I've seen on here for a long time. <NO IT'S NOT> Anyone who asks that question...

"If Kean goes, who are we going to get?" IS A COMPLETE MORON. <AH, THE WIT AND REPARTEE>

This type of bile is why I visit this board less and less these days. Everyone is allowed an opinion as long as it's yours is that it? The circles you move in may well find it acceptable to express a view in this way but I was brought up in a different era with apparently different values of how to speak and behave towards others. Perhaps I'm just thin skinned but is this really the best reasoned argument you can come up with.

Yes of course we can get another manager from the Championship or lower and if that's the standard you're looking for so be it. Personally I'd prefer a 'top' man in charge but 'they' won't come, that was my point. If you're happy with Clements or taking a punt on another Ince or another 'prospect' untried at the highest level then we may get lucky or we may not. You have your view and I have mine.

There is no argument about the rights and wrongs of Kean being in charge, he should never have been the manager, period, but sometimes the cure is worse than the disease. Simply holding a rabid view is not going to improve matters IMO.

My only interest right now is that Rovers stay in this division. The chances of that are not going to be improved by putting pressure on the players by causing an atmosphere on the ground at each home match.

If Venkys had money and the balls to change the manager for a 'top' one then happy days, but they have no money and they lack the bottle to take the tough decisions so we're stuck with Kean. If nothing is going to change this situation, and we want to stay up, then the best shot we have is creating the best atmosphere we can on the ground (IMO). That was my point.

I realise this is a minority opinion but so what. If you want to insult and brow beat people with different views then you and the board are poorer for it. IMO.

Thing is TJ, if we were getting results on anything like a consistent basis I could see your point.

You talk about improved performances, yet we see an odd decent spell followed by an incoherent mess for the next game.

And a manager from the Championship or lower would be better than this imposter who's never managed anywhere.

• Backroom

And a manager from the Championship or lower would be better than this imposter who's never managed anywhere.

Therein lies the rub. Practically any manager would be better than Kean because they are, actually, a manager... and not a coach pretending to be one.

The problem for me when it comes to the Kean issue is that I actually have fewer problems with his team selections then I ever did with either Ince or Allardyce. Roberts starting has been a mystery for the past 4 years but besides that, I dont see a Stephen Warnock playing in midfield or Keith Andrews/E Diouf getting a game every week. The fact that Kean's record has been appalling clearly shows that something is wrong but I dont think its as simple as he doesnt have a clue what he's doing. I want him to go but the level of hatred aimed towards him does seem extreme.

People refusing to turn up to games because they don't like the manager is a childish reaction in my opinion. We dont decide to just support our team or turn up to games when everything is perfect.

In terms of last weekend, I was moderately impressed by Pedersen's performance. Actually thought he passed the ball quite well for once. Vukcevic looked comfortable and composed in possession which is what we have been missing.

The problem for me when it comes to the Kean issue is that I actually have fewer problems with his team selections then I ever did with either Ince or Allardyce. Roberts starting has been a mystery for the past 4 years but besides that, I dont see a Stephen Warnock playing in midfield or Keith Andrews/E Diouf getting a game every week. The fact that Kean's record has been appalling clearly shows that something is wrong but I dont think its as simple as he doesnt have a clue what he's doing. I want him to go but the level of hatred aimed towards him does seem extreme.

People refusing to turn up to games because they don't like the manager is a childish reaction in my opinion. We dont decide to just support our team or turn up to games when everything is perfect.

In terms of last weekend, I was moderately impressed by Pedersen's performance. Actually thought he passed the ball quite well for once. Vukcevic looked comfortable and composed in possession which is what we have been missing.

Something is wrong and it is as simple as him not knowing what he is doing. His selections are pants eg Roberts was out of the side before Kean came. His subs are rubbish and his transfers in and out were crap.

The idea that there is something wrong but we can't quite put a finger on it is absolutely laughable.

There are fewer risks than picking a man like Kean as we have seen------smarta*se.

Well. Logic would actually say that isn't true. Kean at least had been around a premiership club and knew the players. If you think just picking any manager from any league would be better, i say that isnt true. There are plenty of managers that wouldn't have been able to keep us up last season.

Personally I would rather Kean is replaced by a talented and experienced manager. Whereas you evidently would be happy with anyone.

Be careful what you wish for

Well. Logic would actually say that isn't true. Kean at least had been around a premiership club and knew the players. If you think just picking any manager from any league would be better, i say that isnt true. There are plenty of managers that wouldn't have been able to keep us up last season.

Personally I would rather Kean is replaced by a talented and experienced manager. Whereas you evidently would be happy with anyone.

No I wouldn't be happy with anyone but do think there are plenty of experienced Championship and Div 1 managers who would do a better job than Kean and probably none who would do a worse one.

My only interest right now is that Rovers stay in this division. The chances of that are not going to be improved by putting pressure on the players by causing an atmosphere on the ground at each home match.

Do you seriously believe that under Kean we are going to stay in the PL?

I'm under no delusions, unless there's a change we're going down. We may go down even if there's a change as the damage may have already been done, but at least we might have a chance under someone else. There's no chance with Kean.

As you say his record is appalling.

Kean is a man who knows what he likes to see on a football pitch, but doesn't know how to implement it. Attacking football excites him, but he can't organize the team properly defensively. He's ignoring the fundamentals of setting up a team, in favour of trying to excite the owners, and we're paying dearly for it. Then when he realizes his way isn't working, he reverts to Big Sams tactics. But he's not Big Sam, he's a less experienced substitute so we don't get much joy there either.

Many games later he still hasn't learned by his mistakes, and he hasn't yet picked out his best eleven. Mistakes were made in both transfer windows, whether by him or by the owners, which are also reflecting badly on the pitch.

Overall, bad management is costing us. It's pointless saying he's not clueless because he gets a few things right. That's robbing Peter to pay Paul and as history has shown you need to be on the top of your game in the PL.

Got to say I'm with 47er on this one, even a run of the mill lower league manager could pick a decent side, select the right tactics, and keep his mouth shut (Formica the new Batistuta etc).

As you say his record is appalling.

Kean is a man who knows what he likes to see on a football pitch, but doesn't know how to implement it. Attacking football excites him, but he can't organize the team properly defensively. He's ignoring the fundamentals of setting up a team, in favour of trying to excite the owners, and we're paying dearly for it. Then when he realizes his way isn't working, he reverts to Big Sams tactics. But he's not Big Sam, he's a less experienced substitute so we don't get much joy there either.

Many games later he still hasn't learned by his mistakes, and he hasn't yet picked out his best eleven. Mistakes were made in both transfer windows, whether by him or by the owners, which are also reflecting badly on the pitch.

Overall, bad management is costing us. It's pointless saying he's not clueless because he gets a few things right. That's robbing Peter to pay Paul and as history has shown you need to be on the top of your game in the PL.

I agree. Hughes solidified the defence and then worked forward. Kean is trying too hard to play a brand of football which we're just not good enough at playing. More importantly, we're conceding far too many goals. We're having to score 3 goals in order to come close to winning.

Kean was the wrong appointment in the first place. I genuinely fail to understand how Kean gets more hatred than Venky's when it was Venky's that put him in the position a year ago. It was inevitable that he'd struggle and to jeopardise our premier league safety just out of pure stubbornness and a refusal to admit that they were wrong, is painful to watch.

Do you seriously believe that under Kean we are going to stay in the PL?

I'm under no delusions, unless there's a change we're going down. We may go down even if there's a change as the damage may have already been done, but at least we might have a chance under someone else. There's no chance with Kean.

Booth I agree with you. I'm not expecting you or anyone else to go back through my posts but I was one of the early advocates of giving Kean the bullet. It really is a non brainer for me, he should never ever have got the job in the first place.

Yet ... if you are fighting a battle to win then you have to make the best out of what you have and not out of what you wish you had. We have Kean. I've consistently said that the Venkys would not fire Kean, and they won't. It's basically down to money, as in they haven't got any and Kean is cheap. I know their logic is flawed but there's no arguing with them is there.

Given that Kean is staying put, what gives us the best chance of staying up, vitriol from the terraces every match or giving the best support we can give to the lads who have to take the field to do their best with the line up and instructions decided by this donut?

I'm only reflecting the reality of the situation. We are virtually doomed under Kean but everyone has a punchers chance of landing a haymaker from out of nowhere. As that's the best chance we have (even at a 0.1% probability) then that's what makes the most sense. Turn up, support the team and see what happens. We haven't been knocked out yet so let's get up, square up and get on with it.

I believe that Venkys hold to a traditional indian virtue of loyalty. They also have a desire not to lose face. Venkys have loyalty towards Kean for some misplaced reason and unfortunately for us this will continue. They will not allow themselves to be publically pushed into a corner and be forced into making a decision that would humiliate them. Protests fall into this category. These hate filled bull at gate tactics are totally counter productive IMO.

So we agree about the problem and it's outcomes but we disagree as to what to do about it. Which is fair enough, I respect your view, it's just not for me.

Archived