BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn Rovers vs Tottenham Hotspur preview

I mentioned this some time back,,, of course I was ridiculed for suggesting it.

Seems more likely -spurs defo had more possession today.

I'd have to seriously disagree with that.

I thought we played better than for some time, I have to disagree with the comment also about spurs being out of sight by halftime are we now USING the MOD highlights to strengthen out arguments. That's funny cos I must have read a million times on here how skewed the highlights are. Last stat I saw was 18 shot to 8 in our favour, oh no wait a minute last stat I saw was 2-1 to them. Still a slight reason for encouragement so I'm taking it. Why oh why does this clown persist with Roberts, although Jason had some nice touches today I'd start Yakubu over him every time. ###### to this fella Kean, he's an idiot. Let's go get Ancelotti.

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He didn't NEED to go. It was a choice the owners made--a very bad one. There was no large desire among the fans for him to go but there was a significant minority who wanted him out before he even came.

The football had not become increasingly bad nor ineffective. How can you say that? We had finished 10th the season before --from being relegation favourites and would have finished similarly.

Given the squad he inherited and the absence of a transfer backing---what more could you reasonably expect?

I'll admit that whether or not he deserved to be relieved of his duties is a matter of (strong) opinion but I really must take issue with people who can describe the football he produced in the latter part of his tenure as anything other than utter rubbish. Yes, there was no transfer backing to speak of (though Kalinic was a waste of a pretty penny) but equally the football noticeably regressed at the tail end of the Allardyce era. Expecting our players to at least pass to each other does not equate to a highfalutin desire to play like Barcelona.

I have to say watching that performance several things need highlighting the 2 goals from Spurs could easily have been avoided why there was no challenge on walker before he entered the box I will never know! :rolleyes:

The 2nd VDV goal our defence/Midfield should have closed him down, but failing that I thought Robbo should have saved it wasn't exactly in the corner.

Between Yak,N'Zonzi,Roberts,Hoilett we created enough chances to win 2 games. How Yakubu could miss 2 glaringly easy opportunities is beyond me, Hoilett should really have kept that early shot down at least tested the keeper. How N'zonzi blasted over when it was easier to score is baffling even Roberts when he headed over could have controlled it turned the keeper and put it in. For me when you have 67% possession 8 shots on target you need to be scoring more than 1 goal & that is the worry in front of goal we need to be more ruthless and to be brutally honest Roberts,Yakubu,Goodwillie, are not ruthless enough we should really have pushed the boat out & signed someone like Defoe,Crouch etc.. or at the very least if we could not have got our targets coco should have swallowed his pride and played our top scorer Kalinic seems like a bad decision to me to let him go.

:rover: the team played hell of a lot better yesterday than the previous home match,and citeh go and whack united 6-1.we just do not seem to be cohesive,we have some decent players but getting them to preform as a team is proving difficult,like it or not kean will be here till he resigns.venkys are the real culprits,kean is just there lap dog :angry::brfcsmilie:

The depressing thing was that today was probably our best performance of the season yet we still managed to lose. Nzonzi was superb in central midfield though, he dominated that area up against Parker & Modric, fair credit to Pedersen also who had his best game in a while. Hard to really call any of the players up on their performances. We just didn't make the best of the chances we had, and it took a world-class strike to beat us. Problem is these sort of performances are a seemingly a rarity, if we play like that against Norwich next week we should win, but we probably won't.

More depressing for me was that both goals virtually mirrored the goals arsenal scored against us and there have been many others, no cover for the full backs, we are too narrow and as soon as Spurs counter, they go wide and both goals came from breaks down the flanks, its not the full backs to blame, we simply dont have enough protection in front of them, not just in this game but almost all the games we play!!!

Wouldn't it be great if the mods rejected any posts which contained BFS, Sam, Allardyce, our previous manager, what Sam would have done etc etc

Fans have their opinions on whether he was a good manager or not, what style of football he played and certainly whether he should have been sacked, but I guess everyone agrees that the choice of replacement we've been saddled with was a huge blunder on the part of our owners.

Our manager is, sad to say, Mr Kean and not Mr Allardyce. It is totally irrelevant what the latter did or would have done. He's gone !!!!!

That's the last time I'll mention you know who :rolleyes:

Caught yet again down the flanks by pace!

Yet again feel as though the opposition could score on every attack.

Yet again Roberts starts.

Yet again we concede goals other teams would not gift us!

Yet again he makes a sub at 70 minutes.

Yet again his signings warm the bench!

He took our most dangerous player and isolated him on the opposite wing! Even hoilett questioned his decision when Rochina came on and his body language changed!

We have gone soft and Ewood is now an easy place to pick up points!

The ground is the most empty I have seen it for years.

Looking at the directors row yesterday in the middle of the JW stand - I didnt know one of them!

Why didn't we double up on bale or man mark Van?

A few times we looked so amateur it was unbelievable - everyone chasing after the ball like a bunch of 7 year olds and leaving massive gaps for them to attack!

We played better than Newcastle away and qpr away but we need to become hard to beat!!!!

I went to the game yesterday and thought we had a decent game and largely kept an excellent Tottenham team at bay. Having just watched motd2 I'd have to say I must have suffered abit of perceptual distortion as Tottenham in reality could have scored a good few more, Robinson made a few very good saves.

We seem to have a real issue with the "cut back" pass, both goals today were of that ilk and Bale had a great chance this way too but played an air shot. I watched VDV on many occasions just wander into the area between midfield and defence with nobody picking him up! We have conceded so many goals this way, I can see it and I'm confident alot of people on here have seen it, I wish somebody within the club could notice it.

I went to the game yesterday and thought we had a decent game and largely kept an excellent Tottenham team at bay. Having just watched motd2 I'd have to say I must have suffered abit of perceptual distortion as Tottenham in reality could have scored a good few more, Robinson made a few very good saves.

We seem to have a real issue with the "cut back" pass, both goals today were of that ilk and Bale had a great chance this way too but played an air shot. I watched VDV on many occasions just wander into the area between midfield and defence with nobody picking him up! We have conceded so many goals this way, I can see it and I'm confident alot of people on here have seen it, I wish somebody within the club could notice it.

I thought we had a decent game too but I have no faith that we will carry that into the next game.

Although a better performance today, the highlights on MOD suggests that many of us are in danger of being brainwashed by Kean without knowing it. We were some way of a point. Could have been all over at half time.

Sorry disagree - for me the MOTD highlights just show how highlights can distort a match.

If that had been the first match of the season - I would be optimistic about the future - there was plenty of good things on show, with better ball retention than for a long time. For long periods we looked the better team - against opposition that on paper is far superior - and cost a lot more to put together.

Can't think of a player that had a bad match - Lowe kept Bale quiet for the majority of the match, Nzonzi must have had one of his best matches, MGP, frustrating at times - but overall one of his best matches for some time. Hoilett again one of our best attackers - but unfortunately no end product from several good positions he created for himself. Simon - thought he looked quite good - obviously needs a little time to adapt - but promising. Roberts - did well to hold up the ball - didn't feel he was a real threat though. Formica - can't make my mind up - did some good things (including the goal) - but looks slow at times. Olsson - again showed what an important player he is for the team. Samba/Givet - very good partnership. Robinson - last but not least - made saves when required of him.

Maybe Clement is already having an impact on the training ground - as we did look far better than for some time. Unfortunately there has been too many false dawns under Kean to make me think this will be anything but a blip in a series of average performances.

One of Kean's big weaknesses is his p1ss poor dealings in the market.

10 summere signings:

Two started today

Five on the bench

One presumably injured

Two nowhere (Anderson & Ribeiro).

This tells me his 'inherited' players are better than his cheap and nasty imports.

Not defending Kean - especially his over the top descriptions of some of the purchases while he has been in charge. But I am not convinced as to how much influence he had on purchases. At the very least he was initially promised a far better budget - and the list of players that Nicko said were initially targetted - were far more impressive (on paper) than what we ended up with.

As I posted earlier, carbon copies of Arsenals goals (and misses) City, Wolves etc.

Something is wrong and its tactics and organisation!

Too little, too late for me. We played very well, hard to argue that. I was on the edge of my seat all game.

All it made me think though was "we could be fantastic under a proper manager", rather than "the future is bright under Kean".

• Backroom

All it made me think though was "we could be fantastic under a proper manager", rather than "the future is bright under Kean".

This is exactly my thoughts and has been for some time. I maintain that our team is NOT that bad and we have some genuinely talented lads in our squad. The issue lies in the way they're being prepared and set up on match day. Yesterday was as much about Tottenham not really turning up as us being good, and even a Tottenham team who didn't really give us a game beat us.

I think this is the first time we've lost this season and I felt absolutely nothing. I expect to lose under Kean, but this week was the first time I can honestly say the result had no effect on my mood at all. I was angry before, during and after the game. When we lost against Everton after dominating the match I was furious and disappointed beyond belief, because we deserved something. We probably deserved something yesterday, but I didn't care. In fact, a part of me was glad because I don't want the parasite that is Steve Kean to have anything to boast about. The man makes me sick to my stomach.

I have been in the Kean out camp for a long time now. I'm still up for a change. Yet when I look at the performances we've put in of late, if we were starting from here and ignoring history, it would be difficult to say why he should go. The players are playing for him and the football was exciting, well certainly against Spurs. Clement is I suspect having an effect given that the football has picked up since here arrived and nothing else has changed. Clement is a Kean choice by the way.

Starting now then it's tough to see why I should be shouting for him to go. Looking at the history though it becomes blindingly obvious, 20% win ratio, relegation struggles for two seasons, dodgy personality etc. etc.

The reality of the situation though is that Venkys are not able to get (cannot afford) a proper manager so nothing is going to change on that front. Shouting at him on the ground will change nothing and can only have a negative effect of the players (you'd have to argue that it was welcomed by the players to counter that statement, and they say it's not).

So if we are improving, the owners aren't for changing him and hurling abuse is counterproductive to the players then what's the point of the protests? Even if he was to go who would replace him - a rhetorical question as none of the names on the list would come anywhere near at the current time. We would have to make do and mend which probably means promoting Clement, a coach, to tide us over until the close season. So again what's the point, that's where we are right now with a coach in charge, it would just be a Piric victory.

If one of the big boys was to come in as manager next week I'd dance naked in the centre circle, but we all know it's just a pipe dream, not going to happen. As overjoyed as I'd be to see a change I think that given where we are right now we have to move on from whipping ourselves up into an anti Kean frenzy before each and every match. Let's give him all the rope he needs to hang himself. People win the lottery every week, who knows Kean may become a good manager and get points on the board.

Time to put all this to bed and keep the vocal stuff for cheering on the lads on the park before, during and after the match.

Just my opinion, don't kill me.

I have been in the Kean out camp for a long time now. I'm still up for a change. Yet when I look at the performances we've put in of late, if we were starting from here and ignoring history, it would be difficult to say why he should go. The players are playing for him and the football was exciting, well certainly against Spurs. Clement is I suspect having an effect given that the football has picked up since here arrived and nothing else has changed. Clement is a Kean choice by the way.

Starting now then it's tough to see why I should be shouting for him to go. Looking at the history though it becomes blindingly obvious, 20% win ratio, relegation struggles for two seasons, dodgy personality etc. etc.

The reality of the situation though is that Venkys are not able to get (cannot afford) a proper manager so nothing is going to change on that front. Shouting at him on the ground will change nothing and can only have a negative effect of the players (you'd have to argue that it was welcomed by the players to counter that statement, and they say it's not).

So if we are improving, the owners aren't for changing him and hurling abuse is counterproductive to the players then what's the point of the protests? Even if he was to go who would replace him - a rhetorical question as none of the names on the list would come anywhere near at the current time. We would have to make do and mend which probably means promoting Clement, a coach, to tide us over until the close season. So again what's the point, that's where we are right now with a coach in charge, it would just be a Piric victory.

If one of the big boys was to come in as manager next week I'd dance naked in the centre circle, but we all know it's just a pipe dream, not going to happen. As overjoyed as I'd be to see a change I think that given where we are right now we have to move on from whipping ourselves up into an anti Kean frenzy before each and every match. Let's give him all the rope he needs to hang himself. People win the lottery every week, who knows Kean may become a good manager and get points on the board.

Time to put all this to bed and keep the vocal stuff for cheering on the lads on the park before, during and after the match.

Just my opinion, don't kill me.

If that's the case whether the lads are cheered on or not, we're going down. So we better all get used to that. But does that mean we should go down without kicking out against the owners and the management? Are you willing for them to kick us in the groin repeatedly, as they have done, and not in any way retaliate? Because that's what you seem to be suggesting.

Also, I don't know if you went to the match but the fans supported the team fully throughout the game. It was only outside of the ground beforehand, and after the match had ended when there was any signs of a protest. I thought it was very respectfully done all things considered.

As I posted earlier, carbon copies of Arsenals goals (and misses) City, Wolves etc.

Something is wrong and its tactics and organisation!

I think you can point to full backs again, certainly the first one, Givet had to cover olson who was nowhere to be seen, that created the hole in the middle, where Givet should have been. Second goal, the break down their left wasn't closed down quickly enough as lowe was out of position. But, Olson and Lowe are far better than givet and salgado imo!

I think you can point to full backs again, certainly the first one, Givet had to cover olson who was nowhere to be seen, that created the hole in the middle, where Givet should have been. Second goal, the break down their left wasn't closed down quickly enough as lowe was out of position. But, Olson and Lowe are far better than givet and salgado imo!

A well disciplined and organised side wouldnt allow that to happen, maybe the odd time but we are doing it regularly, however good the full backs are, its pressure and support both in defence and attack, if a full back moves upfield, everyone moves accross one to cover, ie, The centre back to right back, other centre back accross one, left full back in to centre back and left midfield to right back, that keeps your shape, if the ball is switched to the other flank, you all move accross again and the right back then gets back in position, so we still have our shape!

• Moderation Lead

We weren't so bad to be honest IMO, I'm just getting sick of Kean saying 'if we keep playing like that we'll be fine', how long can he say that for?????

Anyone notice Harry Redknapp's comments, criticising the fans- made my blood boil! :angry2:

First and foremost I have to hold my hands up and say Lowe did better than I expected against Bale.

The cover needs to come from midfield if we are too play with two full backs who bomb on with little protection. The middle 2 must be disciplined and help fill the gaps left in defence. When Givet goes out, as he has too, then one of the midfield should just slot into his role and take his position, but they need to be in the right position first.

If we are looking for our front wide players to cut inside etc and for the full backs to provide the width, then our two more defensive minded midfielders have to be mindful of the counter and be ready. A bit more pace in this department would be good as both Jones's were quick and this helped out. It's part of the reason I'd play Grella there, he may not be quick but he is disciplined in his positioning and will tell N'zonzi not to push too far forward and too get back.

Some instruction/guidance from the touchline wouldn't go amiss either as prompting can only help the players remember all that they have too.

This game exposed Rovers current team as to just where are the goals going to come from ?

For the second week on the run yet another set piece inspired goal, surely we cant keep relying on this lone method can we.

when rovers scored, i just sat in my seat for a minute before deciding to get up and clap, half-heartedly, i didnt cheer or shout with joy, i cant bring myself to cheer when rovers score at the moment, whenever we get a goal, a little more of me dies inside.

Personally I thought we did ok yesterday, but I think at times Spurs looked like they could create chances at will. We did a little better in midfield, but created only 1 clear chance for Yakubu near the end. Most of our other chances were crafted from putting lobbed high balls into the area (including the goal). When you get to a point where you are playing relatively well, losing and bemoaning luck - it normally comes down to a lack of quality.

A well disciplined and organised side wouldnt allow that to happen, maybe the odd time but we are doing it regularly, however good the full backs are, its pressure and support both in defence and attack, if a full back moves upfield, everyone moves accross one to cover, ie, The centre back to right back, other centre back accross one, left full back in to centre back and left midfield to right back, that keeps your shape, if the ball is switched to the other flank, you all move accross again and the right back then gets back in position, so we still have our shape!

[/quote

You are quite right, the back four should move as if all tied together with a long piece of rope. The organisation and discipline is sadly missing regardless of who's full back, poor old Givet has had a number of 2 v 1 situations this season. I'm sure Lowe can be coached into being a good full back. If either full backs go forward, the respective midfielder should attempt to cover his position until he has managed to get back.

Archived