SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] A lighter note on protests

J*B

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's your film isn't it booth??

I'm sure I remember talking to you about it on here many many moons ago.

It's Wiggy's original idea, and he made it with "owd Tash" as someone called him above as a laugh when they worked on the railways. I saw Wiggy's various films then ended up meeting him when he came along to help on Bar Stewards (Tash is also in Bar Stewards). I asked a distributor if they'd be interested in the old version for them and they got back to me saying if we remade it, they'd release it, which is quite a bizarre situation. We couldn't not do it, as how often do you get the chance of releasing something you've created in pretty much every retail outlet. The only problem was, we hadn't actually created it... Yet.

Then Wiggy's circumstances changed and I ended up directing it (he's not been in the country very much over the past 18 months - at the moment he's in Gambia). So over a very short period of time we remade it (I'm talking miniscule, we had Tash for only a few hours every day for seven days - sometimes only an hour, I think we had him in total for 24 hours). And on top of that we didn't get any kind of advance, so no one was paid. But we got through it. But then they couldn't release it straight away because retailers work in quarters and Christmas/Autumn/Summer isn't the best time (as you're against Summer blockbusters/Halloween Horror and the Christmas rush). Euro 2012 is just around the corner, so they've held it back till then hoping to break even from the football crowd. So it's out next Spring.

It's not perfect as I don't think anything made in those circumstances would be, but there's some gems in there. Nightmare's on Elm Street is in there, but it doesn't just stop there in this version. He ends up topping it with what he comes out with directly afterwards. Had me in stitches.

Sorry to bore you with the ins and outs of it, but that's how it happened.

Archived