BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Guantanamo Bay in the Darwen End

Point to make here for everyone who was subjected to this abject hypocrisy, and this needs to be answered by Newsham the so called safety director or whatever he wants to call himself.

If a person is subjected to being frisked what training has the steward had, I suspect none, and therefore is illegal, I do health safety and Risk management, training has to take place and you as an individual are entitled to see proof that whoever is doing the frisking has in fact been trained correctly, again Mr Newsham show us the PROOF. :angry2: :angry2:

They do not need training for searching, only stewarding - which may cover both anyway.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They do not need training for searching, only stewarding - which may cover both anyway.

Yes they do need training, don't tell me my job. Are you saying that the security at Manchester or any other airport are just people off the streets, of course not, they are TRAINED end of.

1. This isn't the first match they have done this

2. Yes - saw the female steward - but she refused to search me :lol:

3. If there was risk of trouble between the two sets of fans - why not put them in the upper tier ?

I really don't know what the club are playing at - but personally I am not happy at all - in nearly 30 years have never been treated in such a way.

Anyone like to PM me a mail address so I can write to the club for an explanation ?

Just to answer the part in bold, maybe the club have finally realised that putting away supporters above the home fans isn't the best idea. After being spat on more than a few times in previous seasons, and this season seeing a young lad in front of us hit with a coin, and me and my lad being hit with a bottle of (thankfully) coke, I'm more than happy that they no longer seem to put away fans up there.

I still think that it is do with the proximity of the two sets of fans, and trying to prevent any trouble that may occur. If it was to prevent banners than why not search all fans on their way into the ground? Someone has already said that there were banners in the Blackburn End.

This may seem passive to some of you who prefer to scream and shout about stuff, but that's just the way I feel. I went down to Wembley in the week to watch England and we were searched on the way into the ground. I regularly go to watch Test Matches and ODI's at Headingley and am always searched on my way into the ground. Heck, I was even searched on my way into watch the Eagles at Sheffield Arena a good few years back. I don't recall people screaming and shouting about it then, so don't really see what the problem is here. Yes, it's a new thing to Ewood - but some may say that really it should have been in place before now.

I still think that it is do with the proximity of the two sets of fans, and trying to prevent any trouble that may occur.

Well thats as stupid as it is unnecessary then in my opinion. The fans in the DE who stand up and sing are up against the side of the stand, as far from the away fans as possible. There's never been any trouble between home and away fans in the lower tier in the 3 years Rovers fans have been there. The only trouble comes from away fans being above us and chucking stuff down, which the club has virtually put a stop to by not locating them there whenever possible. Despite being filmed by police for 90 minutes every match, I've never seen Darwen Enders causing trouble with stewards, police or away fans. The only thing these draconian measures will achieve is to create a problem that wasn't there.

The official line is that for H&S reasons they wouldnt allow banners at all because they thought that the would incite potential trouble between home fans with different views. Pathetic I know, but true.

Begs the question, why only the Darwen end?

As a steward & security officer at a football league club a few years ago all I would say is that the stewarding 'training' consisted of a 20 minute chat. There was absolutely no right to search people or to lay hands on members of the public unless in absolute extremis. Bags could be searched but there is no way we would have been allowed to frisk people, I am certain this would have required some form of official permission. I would be highly dubious the Rovers stewards have received whatever that permission might be.

I am commenting from afar but this sounds like disgraceful behaviour towards our club's fans. Another nail in the coffin of the club hammered in from India via our useless Board.

I can confirm after speaking with £2 ph brigade it was all about intimidation and preventing banners entering ground, etc. even they said it was over top. In there was more security in place for home fans in DE than for away fans.

My little lad wasn't searched but was asked to empty his pockets. In addition I witnessed a 9 yr old being searched who later was so scared ended up in tears.

We are now being treat like convicts for not towing the party line and letting Venkys quietly destroy our club. Dictatorship comes to mind.

You have set yourself up as some kind of fans representative and yet it is the use of such terms that I completely and utterly refuse to have you represent me in anyway shape or form. You treat others with no respect ergo, you deserve none yourself.

i was loitering around at the previous home game and Glen was told then at the end of the game by John Newsham that everybody would be searched as he had been promised by protest organisers that no banners would be taken into the ground then half way through the game there were 2 banners unfurled. John took exception to this as he has tried to work alongside Glen and other protest organisers who told him at the end of the game that as he had not stood by what he said that no banners would be taken in everybody going into the stand would be searched

On a more sensible note. Its been said a few times recently that what is the Fans Forum remit. This sort of thing is squarely within its remit, and we can ask tne questions of the club. I didnt see any of this as nothing happened in the Blackburn End, but what we would need is somebody to write the facts of what they experienced without any of the vitriol and anger. We can then put it forward.

I couldn't understand why stewards had been instructed to position themselves in the isles obstructing peoples views and access to and from their seats, I've never seen that before.

Don’t they understand that people will only take so much, it’ll either kick off and people will get hurt or people will stop going simple as that. Paying £25+ to be treated like animals is acceptable when you’re a successful club, but in the current circumstance they’re playing with fire.

I couldn't understand why stewards had been instructed to position themselves in the isles obstructing peoples views and access to and from their seats, I've never seen that before.

Don’t they understand that people will only take so much, it’ll either kick off and people will get hurt or people will stop going simple as that. Paying £25+ to be treated like animals is acceptable when you’re a successful club, but in the current circumstance they’re playing with fire.

This will simply go on the list of reasons why I and many others won't be renewing new year (unless Venkys/Kean/The current Board have gone).

the worse about it was it purely cosmetic, I had gloves in my jacket front pocket and a phone/wallet in one jean pocket, no questions asked as to what either of them where

Exactly. I had a three point plug in my pocket to plug my phone in on the long train journey home, but wasn't asked what it was. I could have maimed someone with that if i was minded to.

One or two of those stewards have provoked us on previous occasions too with smartarsed comments. Very poor and if someone could be bothered taking a discrimination case they would probably win it, for what it's worth.

As someone else said, it doesn't feel like a family club any longer.

As a steward & security officer at a football league club a few years ago all I would say is that the stewarding 'training' consisted of a 20 minute chat. There was absolutely no right to search people or to lay hands on members of the public unless in absolute extremis. Bags could be searched but there is no way we would have been allowed to frisk people, I am certain this would have required some form of official permission. I would be highly dubious the Rovers stewards have received whatever that permission might be.

I am commenting from afar but this sounds like disgraceful behaviour towards our club's fans. Another nail in the coffin of the club hammered in from India via our useless Board.

Thank you sir, I rest my case :rolleyes:

i was loitering around at the previous home game and Glen was told then at the end of the game by John Newsham that everybody would be searched as he had been promised by protest organisers that no banners would be taken into the ground then half way through the game there were 2 banners unfurled. John took exception to this as he has tried to work alongside Glen and other protest organisers who told him at the end of the game that as he had not stood by what he said that no banners would be taken in everybody going into the stand would be searched

Oh so it seems John Newsham is the law now, don't play my way I'll throw a tantrum, again I would suggest way over his remit, his job is the stadium safety manager, not the stadium police, but if the police have said no banners then that's their call not the stadiums safety manager.

Oh so it seems John Newsham is the law now, don't play my way I'll throw a tantrum, again I would suggest way over his remit, his job is the stadium safety manager, not the stadium police, but if the police have said no banners then that's their call not the stadiums safety manager.

He used to be the law when he had a proper job.

I would like to know the name of the person who frisked the 9 year old, I would also like to know from the club if all Stewards are CRB checked, if not, not only is frisking a 9 year old illegal it probably constitutes assault!

I will ask my son when he arrives home, Gumboots will obviously know, I dont think even Schoolteachers are allowed to frisk their students any more!

I wrote to John Newsham this morning, after I recieved a number of messages from concerned supporters regarding the stewarding procedure at the Villa game. I brought up one or two incidents which had been told to me, and also my own personal experience from sitting in that stand.

Mr Newsham took exception to the email and stated that no extra stewards had been used, they had just been deployed differently, he also stated that the reasoning for this was due to a banner coming out during the QPR, game which he holds the organisers of protest responsible despite the individual who got the banner out not being part of the Action group.

He stated under no certain terms the following in reply to

"Just thought i'd write a quick note regarding this weeks events, We have had numerous complaints regarding the clubs heavy handed approach to the security this weekend, especially as this was not uniformed throughout Ewood Park. It was evident that extra security in the Darwen End section of the ground was deployed, both in and outside the ground. The security presence was very itimidating, and the only explanation I can draw is that it was done due lots of the protestors being housed in that area of the ground.

Due to the fact there has been no arrest etc prior to this fixture, I was very surprised by this, as the other stands, which were much more highly populated had very little visual security. I witnessed children visually shook up in the concourse area, which in turn questions the family day out experience at Rovers.

" Please do not try and tell me how to do my job. I find your remarks very insulting."

I asked John to give me a call but he emailed back and said NO

I'm aware of a number of complaints which have been sent to the club this morning regarding this issue

You have set yourself up as some kind of fans representative and yet it is the use of such terms that I completely and utterly refuse to have you represent me in anyway shape or form. You treat others with no respect ergo, you deserve none yourself.

I have been chosen by those who support BRAG to represent them. At no point I have said I represent any other fan nor will I. But I wondered how long it would take for some to have a dig.

It seems when most of us who have had differences in the past have actually stood together on this. There is one who has to try and create an issue or disrespect an individual. There is a bigger picture here not just me but other fans who you might just have time for.

That's you view and your welcome it. If you don't like me or what I stand for then you don't have read or comment on my posts!

John Newsham, did he fail his police exams or what?

Good grief.

Power gone to his head, you can see the remark he made to Glen Mullan about "don't tell me how to do my job", Well Mr Newsham you are totally out of your remit as stadium safety officer (i use that term loosely) and had it been my 9 yr old son who was frisked you would have already got a a call from the local constabulary, as I very much doubt CRM checks have been done on stewards at BRFC. He would never have got away with this in the old regime, in fact would probably been hauled over the coals, and in other companies maybe even sacked.

Archived