BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Guantanamo Bay in the Darwen End

Possibly too inflammatory a title? :) Ah well I'll give it a go.

I'm not sure what the hell was going on outside the Darwen End pre-match yesterday but Rovers/Venkys in their ultimate wisdom seem to have come to the conclusion that the home fans sitting there pose a grave threat to security at Ewood. Was running a bit late and arrived 5-10 mins before kick off to be confronted with a queue that stretched most of the width of the stand. For no apparent reason about 15 stewards and 5 police were guarding the home entrance and searching every man, woman and child that went in through it.

The Villa fans, later found to be armed with multiple banners and (someone mentioned) a smoke bomb, entered with no hassle whatsoever, as I imagine did the rest of the ground. Making me miss the first 5 mins of the game, the blatant discrimination and the extremely dodgy ethics of male stewards searching women and children aside, does anyone have any idea what brought this on? Coco's latest sob story interview about his wildly exaggerated need for security? About the 10th protest of the season that was tamer than most of the others? Or do Venkys just think this is a nice way to welcome paying customers to their establishment now?

They'll have a lot less to search next season if this farce continues, thats for sure.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We were always a friendly club, always felt part of something a 'family club', a rather trite phrase, but it certainly doesn't fit the BRFC of 2012.

A nobody manager who doesn't care a jot for this club, who has a bodyguard, a driver and a fat new contract has tarred the fans with generations of loyal support behind them and who as a result, are now are treated like criminals at their own ground.

All this just makes me feel so very sad.

Women and children being searched? What are they looking for? Banners? Weapons? Disgusting.

This sounds discriminantly targetted at Darwen End fans as there were no searches made at the entrance to the Riverside.

This is not our Rovers any more.

I look forward to reading the write up in the LT about this.

the worse about it was it purely cosmetic, I had gloves in my jacket front pocket and a phone/wallet in one jean pocket, no questions asked as to what either of them where

Women and children being searched? What are they looking for? Banners? Weapons? Disgusting.

Sounds like at Cardiff when everyone got searched. When we asked the stewards what they were looking for he said they'd been instructed by Rovers to search the fans incase they had any Steve Kean Out banners. He said that normally they're searching people for bottles and weapons, but Rovers fans got searched for having pieces of paper!

Can't comment on anyone else's experience, but we arrived at 20 past 2 and at that point there was a female steward searching the women. Also there was no search of the children that were with us.

I also saw Villa fans being searched in the same way as they entered the ground. I didn't question it, so can't be sure, but I assumed that they were trying to reduce the risk of trouble between two sets of fairly disgruntled fans. There was also a larger than normal police presence both before and after the game.

I don't wish to rain on anyone's conspiracy theory or anything, but surely if it was to do with the protests or Kean's safety worries then they would be checking all stands - unless it's only the people that sit in the DE that want Kean/Venkys out??

Personally I think that the DE support is seen as the most obviously anti-unholy trinity and so we are being messed around. I don't think the powers that be at the club have taken a step back to think about it though. We are a good part of the club's loyal support after all and yet it seems that they are trying to drive us away from the club. Strange days down at Ewood that's for sure. Anyway you look at it it is a worsening of the situation.

This tactic has gone on since the Everton home game.

My 12yr daughter has her bag searched every game now. In fact at the QPR game she was asked if she had a banner in their. To which I replied ' no the kean out banner is wrapped round my mid drift' the hired thug laughed and waved us through.

In all the 30 odd years or so of going to Ewood I've never felt so unwanted by my club, the distain which has been shown to me is the real reason why I won't renew for the Darwen End.

If I treated my customers in such a suspicious manner I'd have no business left.

It's a real shame, but hey we are just the paying customers.

Can't comment on anyone else's experience, but we arrived at 20 past 2 and at that point there was a female steward searching the women. Also there was no search of the children that were with us.

I also saw Villa fans being searched in the same way as they entered the ground. I didn't question it, so can't be sure, but I assumed that they were trying to reduce the risk of trouble between two sets of fairly disgruntled fans. There was also a larger than normal police presence both before and after the game.

I don't wish to rain on anyone's conspiracy theory or anything, but surely if it was to do with the protests or Kean's safety worries then they would be checking all stands - unless it's only the people that sit in the DE that want Kean/Venkys out??

your assumption is WRONG

the reason for the searches was because police intel was that rovers/villa fans were going to have a coordinated protest against both managers.

when I entered (2.30ish) a female steward was there soley to search females.

the home support in the darwen end is being treated not as the 12th man anymore but as enemies/away fans, yesterday stewards were stood all the way up the aisles, supposedly stopping people from blocking them (ironically causing a blockage)

if you want to carry on being passive and allowing OUR club to treat you in this way then good luck to you.

I am not going to condone the use of force as this would give the waiting police armed with their cameras the right to wade in but??? really??? we are HOME FANS/SUPPORTERS!!! and being treated as away fans is only going to escalate any bad feeling already simmering towards the excessive use of police/stewarding in a section that IS focused to supporting the team as vocally as they can.

as for you roversmum... how about clarifying just why you went to suck up to the indians,that went really well eh. :wub:

1. This isn't the first match they have done this

2. Yes - saw the female steward - but she refused to search me :lol:

3. If there was risk of trouble between the two sets of fans - why not put them in the upper tier ?

I really don't know what the club are playing at - but personally I am not happy at all - in nearly 30 years have never been treated in such a way.

Anyone like to PM me a mail address so I can write to the club for an explanation ?

I can confirm after speaking with £2 ph brigade it was all about intimidation and preventing banners entering ground, etc. even they said it was over top. In there was more security in place for home fans in DE than for away fans.

My little lad wasn't searched but was asked to empty his pockets. In addition I witnessed a 9 yr old being searched who later was so scared ended up in tears.

We are now being treat like convicts for not towing the party line and letting Venkys quietly destroy our club. Dictatorship comes to mind.

I can confirm after speaking with £2 ph brigade it was all about intimidation and preventing banners entering ground, etc. even they said it was over top. In there was more security in place for home fans in DE than for away fans.

My little lad wasn't searched but was asked to empty his pockets. In addition I witnessed a 9 yr old being searched who later was so scared ended up in tears.

We are now being treat like convicts for not towing the party line and letting Venkys quietly destroy our club. Dictatorship comes to mind.

Are you saying that you were told directly by a steward that the searches were designed purely to intimidate?

The official line is that for H&S reasons they wouldnt allow banners at all because they thought that the would incite potential trouble between home fans with different views. Pathetic I know, but true.

If someone actually told you differently then I would encourage everyone involved to complain. It cannot go unchallenged.

This outrageous treatment of Rovers fans needs to be highlighted in a Press Release.

Intimidation of fans, kiddies in tears, blocking of the right to protest.....this would look dammed good in print.

The name BRFC is becoming a joke, the management are even worse - they are first order ******!

Working on getting something together for the paper about this. Anyone willing to go on record with their complaints? From a personal point of view, the only time I can remember being searched going into the BBE in recent years was the Burnley game! Drop me an email at daniel.clough@nqnw.co.uk with your number and I'll give you a call. Cheers, Dan.

Personally I'd find it far more acceptable to be frisked by a female than a male with 5 o clock shadow and with a whiff of stale sweat and tobacco.

Point to make here for everyone who was subjected to this abject hypocrisy, and this needs to be answered by Newsham the so called safety director or whatever he wants to call himself.

If a person is subjected to being frisked what training has the steward had, I suspect none, and therefore is illegal, I do health safety and Risk management, training has to take place and you as an individual are entitled to see proof that whoever is doing the frisking has in fact been trained correctly, again Mr Newsham show us the PROOF. :angry2: :angry2:

Sure it was mentioned somewhere, but just for completeness......

so this was to prevent banners and the Villa fans had the same amount of searches etc? How does that tally with an appearance of a 'Mcleish Out' banner near the back of the Villa fans with a few minutes of the game left?

Archived