BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Guantanamo Bay in the Darwen End

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wrote to John Newsham this morning, after I recieved a number of messages from concerned supporters regarding the stewarding procedure at the Villa game. I brought up one or two incidents which had been told to me, and also my own personal experience from sitting in that stand.

Mr Newsham took exception to the email and stated that no extra stewards had been used, they had just been deployed differently, he also stated that the reasoning for this was due to a banner coming out during the QPR, game which he holds the organisers of protest responsible despite the individual who got the banner out not being part of the Action group.

He stated under no certain terms the following in reply to

"Just thought i'd write a quick note regarding this weeks events, We have had numerous complaints regarding the clubs heavy handed approach to the security this weekend, especially as this was not uniformed throughout Ewood Park. It was evident that extra security in the Darwen End section of the ground was deployed, both in and outside the ground. The security presence was very itimidating, and the only explanation I can draw is that it was done due lots of the protestors being housed in that area of the ground.

Due to the fact there has been no arrest etc prior to this fixture, I was very surprised by this, as the other stands, which were much more highly populated had very little visual security. I witnessed children visually shook up in the concourse area, which in turn questions the family day out experience at Rovers.

" Please do not try and tell me how to do my job. I find your remarks very insulting."

I asked John to give me a call but he emailed back and said NO

I'm aware of a number of complaints which have been sent to the club this morning regarding this issue

Please post his full reply if you could - seeing only one remark doesn't give the full picture.

Sounds an arrogant fecker in any case.

What a bunch of wimps.

It is Fathers, Grandfathers, and Mothers making these complaints I find your comment out of context with their feelings. As a father myself I can fully understand their frustrations, although the checks personally did not bother me, It obviously bothered them to the lengths that they felt the need to not only mention it, but write to the club.

I'm sure the FF as Ste B has said will bring this issue up, as its within their remit

Please post his full reply if you could - seeing only one remark doesn't give the full picture.

Sounds an arrogant fecker in any case.

Its a public forum, and one which i'm lead to believe does not welcome personal emails, there was not much more in the email tbh, I have put my email in full bar future protest plans, and have generalised Mr Newshams response and included 1 quote, hope this helps?

Stuwilky

It's not the fact it was done but the manner it which it was done. Along with the intimidating stewarding from the moment you arrived at the turnstiles to leaving at the end. And to answer a question earlier this wa implied by one of the external security officers within the DE. They got the blame of the club for the banner at the QPR game and were told to ensure it never happens again. But directed where to stand by the club along, etc. even they said we were being treat like convicts.

I remember John Newsham telling me I'd be arrested if I was caught taking pictures inside Gençlerbirliği stadium on our visit to Turkey some years back. I told him to mind his own ******* business, which he took exception to but did just that. After the recent stabbings of the Leeds fans in Turkey you’d have thought he’d have had something better to have been doing than warm me over taking pictures.

Jobs worth in my book.

What a bunch of wimps.

Great comment but I think you'll find most of us complaining aren't scared or upset by the treatment, we're angry and object to being treated like hooligans despite showing no behaviour that we are anything of the sort.

As for Newsham's reply, I'm almost impressed by how childish and ignorant he can be about complaints from the people who effectively pay his wages. Makes me wonder if Venkys appalling attitude to our support is spreading into people who were at the club before they arrived.

Stuwilky

It's not the fact it was done but the manner it which it was done. Along with the intimidating stewarding from the moment you arrived at the turnstiles to leaving at the end. And to answer a question earlier this wa implied by one of the external security officers within the DE. They got the blame of the club for the banner at the QPR game and were told to ensure it never happens again. But directed where to stand by the club along, etc. even they said we were being treat like convicts.

My comment applies to everything you have added.

I stand by my "bigger fish to fry" comment.

I would like to know the name of the person who frisked the 9 year old, I would also like to know from the club if all Stewards are CRB checked, if not, not only is frisking a 9 year old illegal it probably constitutes assault!

I will ask my son when he arrives home, Gumboots will obviously know, I dont think even Schoolteachers are allowed to frisk their students any more!

You can't even search their bags. You can ask them to empty them but not do it yourself. If kids ever leave anything behind in my classroom I very publicly open them with as many witnesses as possible to the fact that I am not putting anything in or stealing anything, just to find something with a name on it to return it.

As for Newsham's reply, I'm almost impressed by how childish and ignorant he can be about complaints from the people who effectively pay his wages. Makes me wonder if Venkys appalling attitude to our support is spreading into people who were at the club before they arrived.

Had this happened under the old regime I'm sure his response would have been very different! However he probably feels as long as he does what is instructed by Venkys and Kean e.g. no banners etc he is very very safe in his job!

His completely irrational response shocked me too, sounds like a stuck up prick to me

What I find most disgusting is that searches were only carried out on one stand. In France, as I said, it appears to be standard policy to have everyone searched. there is always a female officer to frisk female fans and children are not usually frisked. Everyone knows it is standard and there are therefore no problems with it. This was discriminating against one section of our fans, who would appear never to have caused any bother. And as for the reply from the safety officer - disgraceful. Someone should be telling him how to do his job properly or he'll end up in bother. But then I suppose there is only Kean who carries any power at Ewood nowadays.

Once again the shower of crap who run Rovers blame the fans...''it is regrettable if a small number of supporters have felt this procedure to be inappropriate.''

The BarStewards ''All stewards that are on search duties are SIA licensed, CRB checked and trained in search techniques.'' may still be out of a job next Season. Clouds and Silver linings comes to mind.

Very weak IMO and the searches were illegal and everyone was searched in fact every person was searched

Being asked to be searched by a football steward is not illegal.

Stand Up Sit Down include being search by stewards in some of their literature here (and elsewhere) http://www.fsf.org.uk/media/uploaded/Stand%20Up%20Sit%20Down%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

You can complain to the FA if you are not happy with the response from the club to a formal complaint

The Football Associations head of stadium and security is a bloke by the name of Chris Whalley, I used to have contact details for him but him (or his team) deal with complaints lodged via the FA.

Ah, so it's all about preventing Rovers fans bringing banners into the ground. Something that has happened up and down the country for years. That makes it okay then.

Interestingly the terms and conditions we all sign up to when buying tickets state that we give our "consent to be searched by police OR club stewards". I recommend that everyone who is asked to be search insists that they will only submit to a police search.

It also states that the club is committed to prevent discrimination, and victimisation, amongst other things, yet the chose only the Darwen End fans.

This is supposed to be a safe, family club with a friendly atmosphere. Venkys FC does not need fans. Now it shows they don't want them either.

They can stick their free pies up their ####.

Venkys Out

Kean Out

Newsham Out

Had this happened under the old regime I'm sure his response would have been very different!

Spot on.

But I think Stu’s right, bigger fish to fry.

The Blackburn Rovers PR machine Mr Agnew being one in my eyes, him and Kean are single headedly manipulating the national press and media into believing its the supporters that are at fault in all of this, that for me is criminal and needs to be stamped out. We need the local press to start asking the difficult questions to gain some perspective in all of this, but so far The Telegraph has failed to report any such exchange with Mr Kean and thats just not good enough. Its all well and good saying they don't support Venkys and have 'doubts' about the manager, but Kean needs questioning on the ludicrous statements he keeps coming out with, over to you Mr Cryer, we need your help.

In my opinion it is absolutely ludicrous that banners are not allowed in the ground anyway. Banners appear on lots of grounds. What Newsham is actually saying is that the public are not allowed to have views that he and Kean do not approve of.

In my opinion it is absolutely ludicrous that banners are not allowed in the ground anyway. Banners appear on lots of grounds. What Newsham is actually saying is that the public are not allowed to have views that he and Kean do not approve of.

I know for a fact that Kean and Venkys have told John Newsham they do not want them in the ground. That was said in a meeting just before Christmas.

In fact Kean asked for all protesters to be banned.

I know for a fact that Kean and Venkys have told John Newsham they do not want them in the ground. That was said in a meeting just before Christmas.

In fact Kean asked for all protesters to be banned.

Just remind me, this is a football club, not a dictatorship, right? :wacko:

Archived