BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Rovers Fanzone, Ronnie Clayton Blackburn End

I take it the Raos won't be partaking in this Fanzone - as hindus I presume real ale and hog roast won't exactly be their cup of tea.

Neither should be a problem.

Sorry Tom, hold up my hands if I'm wrong. I was just basing it on the few hindus that I went to school with (back in Simon Garner era!) who wouldn't eat any meat and didn't drink, either. I've made a very sweeping generalisation, I apologise if it's wrong and wouldn't mind anyone filling me in on hindu culture.

They might have been vegetarians and I guess would have more likely originated from the South rather than the North.

Sorry Tom, hold up my hands if I'm wrong. I was just basing it on the few hindus that I went to school with (back in Simon Garner era!) who wouldn't eat any meat and didn't drink, either. I've made a very sweeping generalisation, I apologise if it's wrong and wouldn't mind anyone filling me in on hindu culture.

From what I know, different families have different traditions in Hinduism based on the specific God they "worship" (use that term very loosely) and also their caste. Often the lower castes will eat meat, but the higher castes will be vegetarian. I'm not aware of any religious or cultural restrictions to drinking alcohol, but most Hindu parents will probably be more strict with their children in regards to alcohol consumption compared to Western parents (especially if they're not very religious families). It will just depend on whether or not they see alcohol as a negative thing or not.

The pork thing is actually really strange, I know people that refuse to eat pork, but will eat chicken. It's possible that this was just culturally adopted by some Hindus from the Muslim population of India?

Putting aside the timing of the launch of this fans zone thing, was it any good. Apart from a big tv screen, what else did they have on. Is it just for the last two matches or something they hope to do next season. Just curious.

How many times did the guy on the mike at the fanzone thing keep saying "we really need you to get behind STEVE KEAN an the boy's today, its really important that you get behind STEVE KEAN an the boy's today" ! Knowing the fact that several hundred people have just walked up the road chanting anti Kean stuff ! A bit dumb and totally orchestrated in my opinion to counter act the protesters and nothing more.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the fanzone announced by the club before news of the community march filtered out? Without wishing to drag this thread into the community march thread, why would the club want to counter act a protest of 500 people when they have happened on numerous occasions previously?

The people at the fanzone wouldn't have been on the community march anyway, otherwise they would have (if that makes sense), so for people to say that the club have organised this to counter act a protest/march is somewhat wide of the mark, IMO of course.

I have to say the Thwaites 95 ale they'd done specially for it was surprisingly good. The Bee, the music, the bouncy castle, the freestylers and the burger van were really my kind of thing, but fair play for trying.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the fanzone announced by the club before news of the community march filtered out? Without wishing to drag this thread into the community march thread, why would the club want to counter act a protest of 500 people when they have happened on numerous occasions previously?

The people at the fanzone wouldn't have been on the community march anyway, otherwise they would have (if that makes sense), so for people to say that the club have organised this to counter act a protest/march is somewhat wide of the mark, IMO of course.

The club was aware of the community March, 5 weeks ago, just because it was not in the public domain, does not mean it was not planned,

However, the plan is to have the beer tent outside a lot next season, as the club think it went down really well

Credit where its due, I thought that the fanzone was good. Was a good atmosphere down there with lots of Norwich fans round there too, obviously lots had arrived early after a long journey. At rugby games you get a lot more out-the-ground beer tents/food etc which add to the occasion.

The club was aware of the community March, 5 weeks ago, just because it was not in the public domain, does not mean it was not planned,

However, the plan is to have the beer tent outside a lot next season, as the club think it went down really well

Fair comment Glen, however stand by my original point that the fanzone wasn't to counter act the effect of the community march.

Is this an attempt to make up for the loss of the Fernhurst for away fans to go to have a pint etc?, say one at the Darwen End and one at the Blackburn End. If so its a good idea, bring in a bit of revenue when the bigger supported clubs come to town, like the Sheffield clubs etc

Is this an attempt to make up for the loss of the Fernhurst for away fans to go to have a pint etc?, say one at the Darwen End and one at the Blackburn End. If so its a good idea, bring in a bit of revenue when the bigger supported clubs come to town, like the Sheffield clubs etc

That my understanding exactly

I thought the fanzone was really good yesterday.

Also think it is a good idea to have beer tents and areas around the ground.

it generate more money for the club and should have been done years ago.

thought the beer was good aswell.

Agreed, I've always felt that modern Ewood was unfortunately designed and built a few years too early and as a result lacked a bit of thought about the match day experience off the pitch, features which are now built into modern stadia.

I saw a glimpse of what Man City where upto when Rovers played earlier this season, and it looked pretty impressive. Seems they have some good ideas in place here, most of which i'd welcome at Ewood.

Great to see Rovers giving something like this a try out, it certainly enhanced the experience for my young cousins first live match and maybe could make coming to Ewood a little more tempting to the x-box generation!

I have to say the Thwaites 95 ale they'd done specially for it was surprisingly good. The Bee, the music, the bouncy castle, the freestylers and the burger van were really my kind of thing, but fair play for trying.

Do you know if the ale was just a one off - or one they are going to continue with

Do you know if the ale was just a one off - or one they are going to continue with

I think it may be around for a while. They've replaced the Wainwrights with 95 in the Blues bar. I've got to say I prefer the Wainwrights, but the 95 isn't bad.

Last I heard about the Fenhurst was they didn't want any supporters in - they want it for family afternoons or something like that. Used to do nice speckled hen in there - weaker version sadly now.

I think it may be around for a while. They've replaced the Wainwrights with 95 in the Blues bar. I've got to say I prefer the Wainwrights, but the 95 isn't bad.

Thwaites have a newish beer out called fine rain. Thats not too bad.

I don't think I'm breaking any confidences by saying they've been talking to places outside of Ewood about carrying it.

I have to say I'm not normally a fan of Thwaites at all (Wainwright's is the best of a bad bunch) and whilst I wouldn't rave about th 95, it's a colossal improvement on the smooth I normally have to suffer at Ewood.

Actually, lets start a real ale thread in ICBINF

I don't think I'm breaking any confidences by saying they've been talking to places outside of Ewood about carrying it.

I have to say I'm not normally a fan of Thwaites at all (Wainwright's is the best of a bad bunch) and whilst I wouldn't rave about th 95, it's a colossal improvement on the smooth I normally have to suffer at Ewood.

Actually, lets start a real ale thread in ICBINF

Good idea start the thread off.

Archived