BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] KEAN OUT - MIKE NEWELL IN

Anyone seen Mike Newell since he said all this stuff?

"A lot of people involved with the agents and doing the deals are taking back-handers"

"Millions of pounds have gone out of the game [to agents] that will not be seen again"

"So many players have come and gone who have been absolutely no good to the game or the clubs who bought them. But the agents will have made money once again and the game in this country will have suffered"

"If George Graham is the only one guilty of taking a bung in the last 10 years, I would be absolutely amazed"

"I've seen the money agents make at Championship level and I can only imagine what they make at the top level"

KEAN OUT!!! NEWELL IN!!!

www.rovertaken.co.uk

Anyone seen Mike Newell since he said all this stuff?

"A lot of people involved with the agents and doing the deals are taking back-handers"

"Millions of pounds have gone out of the game [to agents] that will not be seen again"

"So many players have come and gone who have been absolutely no good to the game or the clubs who bought them. But the agents will have made money once again and the game in this country will have suffered"

"If George Graham is the only one guilty of taking a bung in the last 10 years, I would be absolutely amazed"

"I've seen the money agents make at Championship level and I can only imagine what they make at the top level"

KEAN OUT!!! NEWELL IN!!!

www.rovertaken.co.uk

Our group spoke with Mike last week, its a case of watch this space <_<

Our group spoke with Mike last week, its a case of watch this space <_<

I highly respect his stance, but after his dealings at Luton and Grimsby he may struggle to get back into the game.

Sad things is he spoke out about agents/owners was mainly during his time at Luton, no one listened.. one of his cheif targets at the time was the then owner of Luton namely Bill Tomlins.. did not hear much praise being sent Newells way when they banned Tomlins from any interaction with football for five years and just last year banned him from being any sort of director for the next six years. Luton also got deducted the largest number of points ever in the English game.

Saying that although he did well at Luton and initially at Grimsby his tempremant is pretty extreme and may be one hell of a handful, the biggest critisism I have heard from both luton and Grimsby fans is that he looses focus to easily (with famed rants and fallouts with officials, foreign players, multiple owners....etc) and when he does the football suffers considerably.

• Backroom

Saying that although he did well at Luton and initially at Grimsby his tempremant is pretty extreme and may be one hell of a handful, the biggest critisism I have heard from both luton and Grimsby fans is that he looses focus to easily (with famed rants and fallouts with officials, foreign players, multiple owners....etc) and when he does the football suffers considerably.

Sounds like me when I play FM tbf, minus the football suffering of course ;)

Newell's honesty regarding agents is admirable, but he possibly needed to go about things in a more subtle fashion. Getting blackballed out of the game entirely doesn't do him or the game any good.

Controversial figure is Mike:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/luton_town/6140922.stm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-442553/Newell-sacked-Hatters.html

Newell has embraced controversy since embarking on a one-man crusade to rid football of corruption in the form of crooked agents.

His claims that he had been offered bungs to sign players were largely responsible for the Premier League's decision to emply Lord Stevens to investigate the state of the transfer market - an enquiry which is still ongoing.

Newell sparked another national debate and almost lost his job, last year, after an outburst about female linesman Amy Rayner following a game against QPR.

He claimed the appointment of women referees and assistants was "tokenism for the politically-correct idiots".

Newell later apologised to Rayner but was fined £6,500 by the Football Association and reprimanded by Luton

Newell and Venky's... that's a no go.

And that is the polite way of saying it.. for all of his outbursts though, Newell has a quality that is lacking these days in every area not just football.. extreme honesty. And for that I applaud him.

Still unsure the guy might be a rovers hero but three management jobs and falling out with three boards of directors.. hmm personally think even under new ownership the guy has burnt so many bridges with agents that we would struggle at best to find the players we would need at any level. Says it all for the world of football and feel sorry for him, but he is not the ideal choice for Rovers.

Boy we are in trouble when as rovers fans we are grasping for the polar opposite to what we currently have..

Check this out that I found:-

Tomlins claimed one agent became so frightened of Newell that he rang the chairman and told him: "Bill, forget it, for 15 grand I ain't ******* gonna have that ? you know, I don't need it." Recalling one row, Tomlins told the FA: "He [Newell] said to one agent, when I was in the room: 'You're a ******* parasite, I'm coming round your house, finding out where you live and I'm gonna rip your ******* head off'."

Ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha! Sounds like Barry Grant off Brookside! Do you reckon Stevie talks to agents like that?

Newell deserves the Rovers job just for that quote alone.

I don't suppose we would get far in the league but I would be a lot more inclined to buy a season ticket than I am now.

www.rovertaken.co.uk

I've always been against Newell as Rovers manager, as quite simply he's never been up to the job.

But now, in the Chumpionship and as an alternative to Kean, he would be a good choice.

considering where kean ranks on my list i'd be ecstatitic just to have one of the very low downs come in, don't even dream about the high ups ever coming here.

He is right though that there would still be a lot of managers preferred to Newell. The likes of Curbishley, Souness, McCarthy, Hughton, Holloway, Grayson, Poyet, Di Canio, Freedman, Karl Robinson etc. Not necessarily "high ups". Almost any manager ever would be preferred to Kean but I don't think if he leaves we should just make sure they are slightly better otherwise we could end up with someone like Tony Adams or Terry Connor.

Sounds like me when I play FM tbf, minus the football suffering of course ;)

Newell's honesty regarding agents is admirable, but he possibly needed to go about things in a more subtle fashion. Getting blackballed out of the game entirely doesn't do him or the game any good.

It is a truly sad indictment that a decent, honest man could be castigated and blackballed for telling the truth, it's about time the weasels got fekked and the good and honest prospered

Newell sparked another national debate and almost lost his job, last year, after an outburst about female linesman Amy Rayner following a game against QPR.

He claimed the appointment of women referees and assistants was "tokenism for the politically-correct idiots".

Newell later apologised to Rayner but was fined £6,500 by the Football Association and reprimanded by Luton[/i]

Fined and ostrasized for speaking the truth as he saw it! :angry2:

Women referees are a n example of tokenism. Tokenism is just about the only reason that I can think of for Uriah Rennie making the Prem list too. It certainly wasn't down to his ability as a referee was it?

He is right though that there would still be a lot of managers preferred to Newell. The likes of Curbishley, Souness, McCarthy, Hughton, Holloway, Grayson, Poyet, Di Canio, Freedman, Karl Robinson etc. Not necessarily "high ups". Almost any manager ever would be preferred to Kean but I don't think if he leaves we should just make sure they are slightly better otherwise we could end up with someone like Tony Adams or Terry Connor.

Newell was only a manager for about five seasons and he got two promotions.

I'm not denying his managerial ability I'm just arguing there are roughly 10 "better" candidates.

There's nobody more honest though, is there? Doesn't that count for anything, even accounting for the way we've suffered because of gross dishonesty on countless fronts? It should do.

It's really sad to me that some Rovers fans would rather stay on the dishonest, sick, football treadmill, greasing agent's palms (more than greasing, just handing over millions of our hard-earned cash for doing nothing) rather than do what should be done, indeed what NEEDS to be done. Somebody has to start cleaning things up. Why not us? If appointing an honest manager means that greedy players and even greedier agents don't want to deal with us ... fantastic, they can get lost and we can employ the right people for the right reasons - there will be enough out there, and we will able to cheer them on and mean it.

But if even WE, that's us, you and I, ROVERS, all of us, part of a club on the brink of ruin because of the way football has gone with the greed and dishonesty involved, aren't even prepared to give a true guy like Newell a job (even when he's an excellent Rovers figure, much underrated at that, as both player and manager) then what sort of football hell have we arrived at?

Everyone else involved in football had the same opportunity to tell the truth like Mike Newell did. But they didn't.

Just because every other potential manager out there, including all those seen by some as "better", has remained as part of the corrupt way of doing things, does that really mean we don't want Newell because he can see the likes of Anderson for what he is and has paid a heavy price for it? What hope is there in football anymore? It's finished, just not worth following any longer. Frankly, we would deserve everything that is coming to us.

If we ever recover from this disaster which has overtaken us, and I had a material say on the matter, Newell would definitely be my number one choice.

Come on lads and lasses, let's take a stand. Mike in, Kean Out, Venky's Out, Anderson/SEM/Kentaro out (for EVER.)

There's nobody more honest though, is there? Doesn't that count for anything, even accounting for the way we've suffered because of gross dishonesty on countless fronts? It should do.

It's really sad to me that some Rovers fans would rather stay on the dishonest, sick, football treadmill, greasing agent's palms (more than greasing, just handing over millions of our hard-earned cash for doing nothing) rather than do what should be done, indeed what NEEDS to be done. Somebody has to start cleaning things up. Why not us? If appointing an honest manager means that greedy players and even greedier agents don't want to deal with us ... fantastic, they can get lost and we can employ the right people for the right reasons - there will be enough out there, and we will able to cheer them on and mean it.

But if even WE, that's us, you and I, ROVERS, all of us, part of a club on the brink of ruin because of the way football has gone with the greed and dishonesty involved, aren't even prepared to give a true guy like Newell a job (even when he's an excellent Rovers figure, much underrated at that, as both player and manager) then what sort of football hell have we arrived at?

Everyone else involved in football had the same opportunity to tell the truth like Mike Newell did. But they didn't.

Just because every other potential manager out there, including all those seen by some as "better", has remained as part of the corrupt way of doing things, does that really mean we don't want Newell because he can see the likes of Anderson for what he is and has paid a heavy price for it? What hope is there in football anymore? It's finished, just not worth following any longer. Frankly, we would deserve everything that is coming to us.

If we ever recover from this disaster which has overtaken us, and I had a material say on the matter, Newell would definitely be my number one choice.

Come on lads and lasses, let's take a stand. Mike in, Kean Out, Venky's Out, Anderson/SEM/Kentaro out (for EVER.)

In an ideal world, yea lets get Newell in and do things the right way from now on.

In the football world: Over 90% of football agents - Who is Blackburn's manager? That Mike Newell who hates agents. Well lets not do business with him then and see how far that gets him.

I hate how much influence agents have in the game. The majority who care about football will feel the same. But they are a necessary evil. I don't agree with the concept of greedy players. It is their job at the end of the day and why shouldn't they be paid more to offer their services at other clubs. Because they should be loyal to a group of fans who will get on their back after 2 bad games in a row? Bearing in mind the majority of these fans would also leave that club for more money. It might have been different back in the day but not anymore.

His managerial record isn't too bad. But there are others who I think would be best suited to returning us to the premier league. That is all I care about. As long as it's done, they can go about doing it in whichever way they want. Souness and Allardyce had dodgy dealings with agents. It is why Man United signed Bebe for over 7 million without Ferguson seeing him play. I don't condone it but I also don't see the point in going against it. We might be able to take the moral high ground but it will get us nowhere.

I would be very happy indeed if Newell became our manager. I would be behind him 100% and from then on would not care at all about whatever potential candidates there were. But my list of preferred candidates is entirely based on who I think has the best chance of getting us promoted and Newell is not in the top 10.

Mike Newell would be an interesting choice, but weren't there rumours of him being involved in a heavy drinking culture at Luton and Grimsby? I might be wrong but if true it would put me off him.

¨The current manager is a drink and driver so it´s no problem. Maybe Mike wouldn´t blame the fans for spiking his drinks.

Agents are a necessary evil in the game (I remember John Williams saying a similar thing) and they are here to stay. My bone of contention is that it is the buying (and sometimes selling) clubs that have to pay for them. They are the players representative and they have been appointed by the player not the club. However it will be brave club that goes out on a limb and refuses to deal with them as they have too much power. Simon Jordan was quite vocal on this subject and he was kind of ostracized by many agents and he ended up losing millions at Palace.

I was reading the Non League paper at week-end and there was a mention of an agent for several players in the Conference North and South who was blatantly trying to move players on. There has always been a clandestine operation to move players which was well known. There is now open touting of players (not just by agents too) and the FA seems to turn a blind eye to it.

Archived