BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] KEAN OUT - MIKE NEWELL IN

Where Rovers are concerned it wouldn't matter who we have as manager. They would still be hampered by the dictates of the owners. Get venkys out first, then we can talk about replacing kean. Once Venkys go, Kean goes automatically.

There's nobody more honest though, is there? Doesn't that count for anything, even accounting for the way we've suffered because of gross dishonesty on countless fronts? It should do.

It's really sad to me that some Rovers fans would rather stay on the dishonest, sick, football treadmill, greasing agent's palms (more than greasing, just handing over millions of our hard-earned cash for doing nothing) rather than do what should be done, indeed what NEEDS to be done. Somebody has to start cleaning things up. Why not us? If appointing an honest manager means that greedy players and even greedier agents don't want to deal with us ... fantastic, they can get lost and we can employ the right people for the right reasons - there will be enough out there, and we will able to cheer them on and mean it.

But if even WE, that's us, you and I, ROVERS, all of us, part of a club on the brink of ruin because of the way football has gone with the greed and dishonesty involved, aren't even prepared to give a true guy like Newell a job (even when he's an excellent Rovers figure, much underrated at that, as both player and manager) then what sort of football hell have we arrived at?

Everyone else involved in football had the same opportunity to tell the truth like Mike Newell did. But they didn't.

Just because every other potential manager out there, including all those seen by some as "better", has remained as part of the corrupt way of doing things, does that really mean we don't want Newell because he can see the likes of Anderson for what he is and has paid a heavy price for it? What hope is there in football anymore? It's finished, just not worth following any longer. Frankly, we would deserve everything that is coming to us.

If we ever recover from this disaster which has overtaken us, and I had a material say on the matter, Newell would definitely be my number one choice.

Come on lads and lasses, let's take a stand. Mike in, Kean Out, Venky's Out, Anderson/SEM/Kentaro out (for EVER.)

Great post! I don't honestly think Newell would ever get the job or even be considered for it! There was a time when he was at Luton though when he was a leading candidate to take over from Hughes! At that point his achievements in football management certainly exceeded those of Ince and Kean and even pre-Rovers Hughes. How telling that his star has suddenly fallen since his comments about agents.

www.rovertaken.co.uk

Where Rovers are concerned it wouldn't matter who we have as manager. They would still be hampered by the dictates of the owners. Get venkys out first, then we can talk about replacing kean. Once Venkys go, Kean goes automatically.

100% correct.

I doubt with Venkys as owners you could attract many established managers anyway, unless they happened to be represented by a certain agent.

Fact is Venkys out almost certainly means Kean Out too.

Great post! I don't honestly think Newell would ever get the job or even be considered for it! There was a time when he was at Luton though when he was a leading candidate to take over from Hughes! At that point his achievements in football management certainly exceeded those of Ince and Kean and even pre-Rovers Hughes. How telling that his star has suddenly fallen since his comments about agents.

www.rovertaken.co.uk

I think that's more because of the rumours surrounding his behaviour at Grimsby and Luton. It's also quite a few years since his success, so there's no indication that he would even be interested.

Mike Newell would be an interesting choice, but weren't there rumours of him being involved in a heavy drinking culture at Luton and Grimsby? I might be wrong but if true it would put me off him.

Kendall and Clough drank for fun. Allardyce too reportedly was no methodist. ;) It might not do em any good in later life but it didn't affect their managerial ability.

I don't know how Newell could function to todays shark pool of agents and money men but if it were possible I'd love to see him in charge. He shouldn't cost much either. It'd be like christ v the anti-christ. One embroiled imo in all sorts of nefarious financial skullduggery and the other riding in like a knight in shining armour to slay the evil one(s).

Its difficult to judge Newell by his short managerial career - half of the time he seems to be a young, promising manager, but the other half he looks completely clueless, useless and with attitudes belonging back in the stone age (threatening people/female linesman).

Yeah, let's just give Mike the job because he once kicked off about agents. It doesn't matter that his managerial record was very indifferent, has strange non-pc outbursts, been out of the job a few years and apparently likes to drink and fall out with his bosses :wacko:

I can think of countless people better qualified to manage us.

Yeah, let's just give Mike the job because he once kicked off about agents. It doesn't matter that his managerial record was very indifferent, has strange non-pc outbursts, been out of the job a few years and apparently likes to drink and fall out with his bosses :wacko:

I can think of countless people better qualified to manage us.

Really Pedro? I can think of many who wouldn't touch us with a bargepole. Also any you'd like we prob can't afford anymore. Plus if we do manage to unearth a gem like Rodgers of Lambert (out of the thousands of Keans out there) they'll be off to the first bigger club that picks up the phone. Those old enough will have witnessed us here before remember. Those who aren't old enough....Sorry lads, it's really sh1tty down amongst the dead men.

Best manager for us now would be like the last one..... Top man at his job, respected enormously by the players but carrying enough negative PR baggage so that no other club's board would risk taking him on. It's possible that could easily apply to Newell.

Really Pedro? I can think of many who wouldn't touch us with a bargepole. Also any you'd like we prob can't afford anymore. Plus if we do manage to unearth a gem like Rodgers of Lambert (out of the thousands of Keans out there) they'll be off to the first bigger club that picks up the phone. Those old enough will have witnessed us here before remember. Those who aren't old enough....Sorry lads, it's really sh1tty down amongst the dead men.

Best manager for us now would be like the last one..... Top man at his job, respected enormously by the players but carrying enough negative PR baggage so that no other club's board would risk taking him on. It's possible that could easily apply to Newell.

I don't think that he has proven himself to be any better than countless amounts of managers Gordon. He had some relative success going on a decade ago and has been out of work for about three years. People are making out that he is as honest as the day is long and an ideal successor based on two things. A. He used to play for us. B. He kicked off about agents once.

There are plenty of better managers who have taken clubs up from the Championship on a small budget, many of the very same men are currently available, if we are lucky enough to rid ourselves of Kean then I would start the search with one of them long before I gave Newell a call.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-455153/Exposed-The-Chairman-paid-agents-150-000-bungs.html

Two things stand out for me:

a) Tomlins, who stood down last month, owned up to 13 separate illegal payments to seven named agents, amounting to more than £150,000, and disguised with cheques signed from an account outside the main club finances but not declared to the football authorities.

b.) Tomlins, a former second-hand car dealer, was interviewed in Luton?s boardroom by two investigators from the FA?s Financial Regulation Department in March and his taped confession runs to 37 pages.

At least it couldn't happen to us, eh, god forbid.

My original post was only really meant tongue in cheek but I actually think people are wrong to totally write Newell off as a manager. It wouldn't work under Venky's and I am sure there would be more than just the odd person in football ready to make life really difficult for him but do we just want someone who is willing to bend over and play the game? And who are these other managers people are referring to? Let's see a few examples of managers who would manage our club who have achieved something in their playing career (there aren't many Mourinho's out there by the way!), most of it for our club, and then gone on to achieve something in management (two promotions is achieving something!)

My original post was only really meant tongue in cheek but I actually think people are wrong to totally write Newell off as a manager. It wouldn't work under Venky's and I am sure there would be more than just the odd person in football ready to make life really difficult for him but do we just want someone who is willing to bend over and play the game? And who are these other managers people are referring to? Let's see a few examples of managers who would manage our club who have achieved something in their playing career (there aren't many Mourinho's out there by the way!), most of it for our club, and then gone on to achieve something in management (two promotions is achieving something!)

Anyway, how's the book coming along? You half way through the sequel yet? Book one could end; "Confused....."

The way our club is going, we won't have to worry about not being able to deal with certain agents - in fact, I imagine there are already certain agents our helpful 'friend of the club' won't deal with.

If we are going to have to scratch around for players desperate for a chance or grown our own, I would prefer Newell to Kean everyday of the week.

An ex-Rover, shares my hatred for agents and got a decent bit of nouse. We are so far into uncharted territory at the club, a left-field move for a decent, transparent (proven) manager in place of the current incumbent would be more than welcome - by me any way.

If we are headed for hell in a handcart anyway, I'd like to at least have right on our side and a manager and club I can be proud of, rather than ashamed.

Newell as manager, Parkes as number two. Steady the ship.

Anyway, how's the book coming along? You half way through the sequel yet? Book one could end; "Confused....."

The book is with the publisher now. I will be just out on the originally advertised 22nd June release date but it will definitely out in July. I am obviously not happy about what is going on at Rovers but I am really happy with the finished book. Hopefully a few non-Rovers fans will read it as well. It looks like the sequel could be more of the same but worse so I am happy to let someone else take the baton from here. My head is battered enough as it is.

www.rovertaken.co.uk

No idea whether this article was really tongue in cheek or not. But it does raise the point that the cult of the manager that started in earnest with Cloughie apparently is more than a bit disingenuous. Rodgers and Lambert have both been mentioned but they didn't come from nowhere; they didn't exist in a vacuum. Look at the structure of the clubs they came from. Right place, right time is often all it takes.

• 1 month later...

Saw this a while ago surprised it didn't get more of a response considering what appears to have been proposed.

Very interesting that BRFC action group representatives have admitted talking to Newell presumably about the managerial job. Isn't their takeover proposal (don't get me started on that particular bid) supposed to give all the fans a say on such mattters?

So Rovers have had some disastrous dealings with agents in the last year and half. So the natural response to this would be to go for someone who has generally been ostracised by all agents? Like it or not as the likes of Saint John pointed out they are a fundamental part of football.

Not to mention he's hardly the top, experienced manager BRIST have claimed they would appoint in the event they seize power. Hold on I believe a pig just flew past my window...

Archived