BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Premier League Happenings

Stuart

Am I the only one who has a completely 'couldn't give a sh*t' attitude towards the premiership now? I mean we NEED it's wealth but to be quite honest I'm enjoying the championship more even when we aren't playing so well.

I find the football in the Championship appalling. Having watched the Rovers fall from grace in the 1960s and suffered a quarter of a century in the wilderness before Jack came along, I really can't say that I have enjoyed anything about this season. It is simply going back to what we were - a small town club struggling in the second/third level of English football. The longer we stay at this level the lower the gates and the poorer the standard of player we can afford. Football in this country has changed forever with the Premiership and that is the League to be in. The Football League is simply second rate in every way. I can honestly say that I haven't really enjoyed one game this season - and I have suffered them all. At least in the Premiership even if you were losing you could appreciate the football played by the opposition.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

But Parson (I'm only 21 and please don't take this as a dig. Not intended that way), how many players from the years in the wilderness are revered by our older fans? LOADS of them. My old man often says he'd prefer to remember great players from a naff league than average players in the top league.

I rather like the idea we have something to aim for now, rather then merely something to avoid.

We aimed to upset some of the best teams around in the Premier League on a regular basis.

We got to see our players up against the likes of Henry, Gerrard, Ronaldo and Drogba rather than Blackstock, Marney, Carey and El-Abd.

Our ground was almost full of excited fans, instead of a half empty morgue unenthusiastically waiting for the full time whistle for the poor football to finish.

We have gone from giving the likes of United a real game, full of passion and energy to damp squibs against poor opponents.

We have proved we can compete on a regular basis if managed correctly.

And "the very best" is mid table in the Premier League at absolute most with no chance of ever bridging the gap to the top teams or ever achieving anything remotely noteworthy?

It would appear that by your standards, the "best" is distinctly average.

If dining at the top table and competing with them every week is "distinctly average" how would you describe the rubbish we are having to endure at the moment ? Everyone knows only a few teams can win the PL and a relegation battle most season is not alot of fun but I loved us being part of it all and being seen as one of the elite in the most popular and most-watched league in the world. If you enjoy the Championship that is your prerogative but as far as I am concerned there is nothing enjoyable about being in this division.

But Parson (I'm only 21 and please don't take this as a dig. Not intended that way), how many players from the years in the wilderness are revered by our older fans? LOADS of them. My old man often says he'd prefer to remember great players from a naff league than average players in the top league.

I rather like the idea we have something to aim for now, rather then merely something to avoid.

We actually became use to playing in lower League football and as such our expectations were low. Winning the Third Division Championship was great but times change. We have had the majority of the past 20 years dining at the top table and shaking up more than one of the "big" clubs. We are now back in lower League football scratching around in mid-table with a squad that is depressingly short of quality. League wise, our season is over and yet we still have a couple of months football left to play. There is nothing to revere about being mediocre it's just something you eventually become accustomed to over many years. However, if you are asking me if I would prefer to watch the likes of Simon Garner, Derek Fazackerley, Ian Miller etc over Tugay, Benni McCarthy, Ryan Nelsen, Chris Samba etc, I can tell you that it would be the Premier League players every time. The likes of Garner, Faz, Keeley, Parkes etc were held in affection by the fans because they mixed with them after games and during the week. Apart from Dunny, the present squad don't come anywhere near Blackburn except when they are required to turn up to play matches so the type of connection we had with the players during the "wilderness" period is never going to happen again.

ok salgado, fulham runners up in the europe league a few years ago, now midtable at best

boro, europe league runners up, now in the championship

liverpool, champions league winners once and runner up once, uefa cup winners in 2001, now struggling for 7th place

chelsea, champions league holders, sat in 3rd place, way behind man utd or man city

arsenal got past the group stage even though their league form is wretched

spurs in 4th, made to the champions league quarters, beaten by some real madrid cheating in the first leg

What's your point? That a lot of English clubs have declined in recent years? I'll give you that all day long.

Watch Man City vs Dortmund or Athletico Madrid vs Chelsea again......then tell me the English league has the best teams in Europe.....barring Man United and the occasional good season from the rest.

"Real Madrid cheating".....I swear it was 5-0 on aggregate?......the Crouch sending off? Easily two yellows.

Arsenal? Finished ahead of Olympiacos and a now-pretty shocking Montpelier.....were outplayed at home to Schalke from what I saw (had one eye on a stream whilst watching Dortmund vs Madrid I think), didn't see the away leg.

They'll be lucky if Bayern only win 3-1 in Germany imo.......would you be surprised if Bayern beat them 4 or 5-0?.....I genuinely wouldn't.

Imo, as I watch both pretty regularly, the Spanish and English leagues are fairly similar in quality, on the whole that is.....to say the other 18 teams in Spain are average compared to their English equivalents is completely wrong imo.

You're obviously what some people would call the stereotypical English Premier League fan, who thinks Terry is one of the world's best CB's, the EPL is the only real league in Europe, and the national team is one of the best in the world. Not many people outside of England think these things, and there is a reason for that.

We actually became use to playing in lower League football and as such our expectations were low. Winning the Third Division Championship was great but times change. We have had the majority of the past 20 years dining at the top table and shaking up more than one of the "big" clubs. We are now back in lower League football scratching around in mid-table with a squad that is depressingly short of quality. League wise, our season is over and yet we still have a couple of months football left to play. There is nothing to revere about being mediocre it's just something you eventually become accustomed to over many years. However, if you are asking me if I would prefer to watch the likes of Simon Garner, Derek Fazackerley, Ian Miller etc over Tugay, Benni McCarthy, Ryan Nelsen, Chris Samba etc, I can tell you that it would be the Premier League players every time. The likes of Garner, Faz, Keeley, Parkes etc were held in affection by the fans because they mixed with them after games and during the week. Apart from Dunny, the present squad don't come anywhere near Blackburn except when they are required to turn up to play matches so the type of connection we had with the players during the "wilderness" period is never going to happen again.

Whilst I agree that Id much sooner watch our Premier League players, the standard of our current league is significantly less than it was in the 80's, and less than the last time we were in this league. That team of Garner, Faz, Keeley, Sellars, Gennoe, Barker, etc.. Would finish above our current squad now.

No such entity as the "EPL". It's the Premier League, English league or to give it its correct title, the Barclays Premier League.

Yea that's true, I didn't mean to intentionally call it that. It's just I talk to my Scottish cousins on the internet about football and they call it the EPL up there so it's become a bit of a force of habit.

But yea, it's much, much better than the Championship. The best thing about that is you might get promoted and seeing as that's to the Prem, it's obviously not better to be in the C'ship.

Yea that's true, I didn't mean to intentionally call it that. It's just I talk to my Scottish cousins on the internet about football and they call it the EPL up there so it's become a bit of a force of habit.

But yea, it's much, much better than the Championship. The best thing about that is you might get promoted and seeing as that's to the Prem, it's obviously not better to be in the C'ship.

I just didn't want to butt into your conversation I saw earlier but actually, why would "English League" be more proper than English Premier League... and in fact, at the old soccerway.com comments section, fellow, a Scot would use "EPL"... it is SPL for the Scottish PL? Anyway, I'd bet you a dollar to a doughnut you can find common usage of EPL on the web though I've got to say, that usage is probably outside of England.

3 links using EPL and yes, they probably are mostly outside of England, CNN USA certainly is, these websites that give scores?? Well, Goal is sort of Italian but comes out of Switzerland actually I have heard.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/01/sport/football/goal-line-technology-premier-league-football/index.html EPL to introduce goal-line technology next season.

http://www.footballepl.com/ <----- See, EPL but this obviously is from Asia.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/results-standings/64/english-premier-league-epl/matchday Goal, the website... but just because they say it doesn't make it official.

In some ways, it's sort of like the way the Carling Cup is really the League Cup.... but I guess there is no official place it is called the English Premier League. Maybe though.

--------

Speaking of CNN, I see Piers Morgan is in the states and works for them now and he is sharing the Lawro picks this week, sort of interesting and looks good, he picks Arsenal to blow out Tottenham in a tongue and cheek pick I'm sure of 8-0....actually, I'd gather Tottenham can get a draw out of that one.

I just didn't want to butt into your conversation I saw earlier but actually, why would "English League" be more proper than English Premier League... and in fact, at the old soccerway.com comments section, fellow, a Scot would use "EPL"... it is SPL for the Scottish PL? Anyway, I'd bet you a dollar to a doughnut you can find common usage of EPL on the web though I've got to say, that usage is probably outside of England.

3 links using EPL and yes, they probably are mostly outside of England, CNN USA certainly is, these websites that give scores?? Well, Goal is sort of Italian but comes out of Switzerland actually I have heard.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/01/sport/football/goal-line-technology-premier-league-football/index.html EPL to introduce goal-line technology next season.

http://www.footballepl.com/ <----- See, EPL but this obviously is from Asia.

http://www.goal.com/en-us/results-standings/64/english-premier-league-epl/matchday Goal, the website... but just because they say it doesn't make it official.

In some ways, it's sort of like the way the Carling Cup is really the League Cup.... but I guess there is no official place it is called the English Premier League. Maybe though.

--------

English league with a lower case l is correct when referring to the football league of this country but English League with an upper case L is incorrect because that is not its proper name.

They may call it the "EPL" abroad but they are all wrong.

Indeed, if it was better to be in the Championship why would you want you team to get promoted. Surely the perfect finishing place would be 7th.

Because it's no fun getting mullered every week?

Under the Trust, and good management, being in the PL was something to be proud of. Under Venkys it wasn't.

Would they spend the money required to compete if we got there? We'll probably never get to find out.

Why does it matter? It's obviously short for English Premier League - as long as you know this does it really matter whether the acronym is 'official' or not?

It matters because it's wrong. Good luck in your job applications if you have such poor standards.

What's your point? That a lot of English clubs have declined in recent years? I'll give you that all day long.

Watch Man City vs Dortmund or Athletico Madrid vs Chelsea again......then tell me the English league has the best teams in Europe.....barring Man United and the occasional good season from the rest.

"Real Madrid cheating".....I swear it was 5-0 on aggregate?......the Crouch sending off? Easily two yellows.

Arsenal? Finished ahead of Olympiacos and a now-pretty shocking Montpelier.....were outplayed at home to Schalke from what I saw (had one eye on a stream whilst watching Dortmund vs Madrid I think), didn't see the away leg.

They'll be lucky if Bayern only win 3-1 in Germany imo.......would you be surprised if Bayern beat them 4 or 5-0?.....I genuinely wouldn't.

Imo, as I watch both pretty regularly, the Spanish and English leagues are fairly similar in quality, on the whole that is.....to say the other 18 teams in Spain are average compared to their English equivalents is completely wrong imo.

You're obviously what some people would call the stereotypical English Premier League fan, who thinks Terry is one of the world's best CB's, the EPL is the only real league in Europe, and the national team is one of the best in the world. Not many people outside of England think these things, and there is a reason for that.

i never said that compared to english clubs they are average, alot of premier league sides are average too, i just dont believe the spanish league is better, its better technically but not better in terms of quality, there are potentially 3 or 4 english sides that can win the premier league at the beginning of the season, theres only barce and real that can realistically win it in spain, terry is one of the best centrebacks in the world, hes been captain under some of the most successfull managers in the game, what does that tell you? i suppose you think that darren fletcher is world class

Without doubt The Premier League is streets ahead of the competition in terms of interest worldwide.

In bars, restaurants, hotels, in fact everywhere in the Far East as just an example, tv screens constantly show Premier League highlights, re runs or live games 24/7. No mention of La Ligue, Bundesliga etc.

Whenever asked where do you come from and you answer Blackburn, the answer always comes back Rovers.

The financial impacts on the town in general of Rovers not sitting at the top table should not be underestimated.

Venkys take heed!

• Backroom

It matters because it's wrong. Good luck in your job applications if you have such poor standards.

It's a comment on a message board Jim, it's not a submission for a Nobel prize. It does amuse me how wound up you get by people calling it "EPL" though. As soon as that acronym appears, bam, there you are decrying its inaccuracy. Thanks for the good wishes in regards to my job prospects, I don't need it at present though so maybe save it for somebody who requires it.

Because it's no fun getting mullered every week?

Under the Trust, and good management, being in the PL was something to be proud of. Under Venkys it wasn't.

Would they spend the money required to compete if we got there? We'll probably never get to find out.

So, are you saying you don't want us to get promoted this season or any season as long as Venky's are in charge?

So, are you saying you don't want us to get promoted this season or any season as long as Venky's are in charge?

Good question.

I think what I'm saying is that I've fallen out of love with the PL - probably since Hughes' days in truth.

Your post assumes Venkys will never turn us (back) into an ambitious Northern town football club. That being the case, the thought of doing a Bumley or Blackpool and getting into the PL only to be patronised and relegated as the divisions 'plucky' whipping boys doesn't seem that attractive. A necessary evil but not an attractive one.

But it's where they money is and we need that money. It's also the whole point of professional football - to aspire to be the best you can be.

However, saying that maybe, for Rovers, that is now the Championship.

• Backroom

I do see where you're coming from Stuart, but ultimately, for monetary reasons if nothing else we really need to be in the Premier League.

Doesn't look like we can even be competitive in the Championship these days, though.

It's a comment on a message board Jim, it's not a submission for a Nobel prize. It does amuse me how wound up you get by people calling it "EPL" though. As soon as that acronym appears, bam, there you are decrying its inaccuracy. Thanks for the good wishes in regards to my job prospects, I don't need it at present though so maybe save it for somebody who requires it.

Accuracy on a par with your football knowledge then.

Archived