BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Next manager

Next Rovers Manager (multiple choice allowed)  

484 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you WANT as the next manager?

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other
  2. 2. Who do you EXPECT as the next manager

• Ole Gunnar Solskjaer
    • Tim Sherwood
    • Eric Black
    • Roy Keane
    • Alan Shearer
    • Mick McCarthy
    • Jurgen Klinsmann
    • Stuart McCall
    • Berndt Schuster
    • Henrik Larsson
    • Keith Hill
    • Ian Holloway
    • Ottmar Hitzfeld
    • Sven Goran Eriksson
    • Karl Robinson
    • Other

A bit like us then, only difference I can see is we have more games to play with

I think it's the opposite - we have a good squad in a poor league.

A half-rate manager would get us promoted this season. Even Kean might have been able to do it, had his jelly-like spine not finally collapsed.

What our squad needs is somebody to come in, bang some heads together and get them fit.

Most combinations of our squad should beat most teams in this division if they are fit.

I think he's got the right attributes to become a good manager, but time will tell.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it didn't - but look at what he was working with.

Taking over a relegation-bound, demoralised squad for the last 8 games of the season - some of them genuinely tricky ties.

He was on a hiding to nothing and Sir Alex probably wouldn't have kept them up either.

You sound like his mother.

Stop making sloppy-ass excuses for the guy just because he was a club legend.

You sound like his mother.

Stop making sloppy-ass excuses for the guy just because he was a club legend.

Who would have succeeded in keeping Newcastle up that season?

They'd had an absolutely awful season, underperforming and in-fighting...they were as good as down before he even agreed to do the job.

I feel it's unfair to judge anyone on 8 matches, particularly in the circumstances he did it in.

They'd had an absolutely awful season, underperforming and in-fighting...they were as good as down before he even agreed to do the job.

I feel it's unfair to judge anyone on 8 matches, particularly in the circumstances he did it in.

Shebby has stated it is one of the points, not previously relegated, pity he did not go the whole hog and say unless it is planned

If Shearer had even an ounce of the motivational or tactical acumen that you claim, Newcastle would've gone down fighting at least. Heck, sometimes that doesn't even matter. Just having a new face in charge (particularly a footballing legend such as he) can be enough to galvanize an ailing team. Instead, Shearer had absolutely NO impact on the side at all and they slumped into the Championship.

Even if you're taking his time at Newcastle OUT of the equation, what basis is there then for him to manage us?

I'm waiting.

Even if you're taking his time at Newcastle OUT of the equation, what basis is there then for him to manage us?

I'm waiting.

You cannot ignore the factor that he has strong ties with the club and was by far the best player to have pulled on the shirt, certainly in my generation.

Does this have relevance to his potential managerial ability? No.

But your question was what basis is there for him to manage us and this certainly puts Shearer above candidates like Black or Ali in my opinion.

He has always been a leader, is quite clearly strong minded and even from his recent comments 'there would have to be changes', he knows what direction we need to go in.

Above all else, we need somebody strong to get the squad in order and somebody to bring the fans back onside.

As I've said earlier, quality-wise our squad should be getting promotion this season and any manager with a crumb of ability would be able to achieve that this season.

It's an easy job with the players we have and this is why we've attracted so many applicants.

If Shearer was advised/helped by somebody experienced (Dalglish?), then I'd much, much prefer that to the likes of McCarthy, Keane or anyone else who has the ability to do well in the Championship but fails when making the step up.

Its Tombo / West Sussex Rover getting all childish because he's jealous that Glen Mullan gets the scoop from Shebby.

I got the impression he pulling somebody up, as they was saying somebody told a fib to vital about the irish manager applying for the rovers job. When there was an article saying, he had not.

Shebby has stated it is one of the points, not previously relegated, pity he did not go the whole hog and say unless it is planned

Maybe this is the story that was supposed to break and why coco has done a bunk and not been heard of or seen since!

If Shearer had even an ounce of the motivational or tactical acumen that you claim, Newcastle would've gone down fighting at least. Heck, sometimes that doesn't even matter. Just having a new face in charge (particularly a footballing legend such as he) can be enough to galvanize an ailing team. Instead, Shearer had absolutely NO impact on the side at all and they slumped into the Championship.

I'm waiting.

mark hughes used alot more than 8 games to turn things around @ qpr, it all went down to the last day if they were staying up or going down, is he a bad manager now?

mark hughes used alot more than 8 games to turn things around @ qpr, it all went down to the last day if they were staying up or going down, is he a bad manager now?

No, would have him back in a heart beat

If Shearer is wanting to get involved in management. Then I would not mind him being at rovers in some capacity - maybe assistant. But under an experienced manager so as to learn the ropes and gain experience first. But as Rovers have been down the inexperienced route before and failed. This is not the time to do it again with Shearer or any other inexperienced manager.

I'm not sure quite why they are closing down their options when choosing a manager. It's really simple, the best options for me are.

Out of work, experienced: Rafa Benitez

In work, inexperienced: Ole Gunnar Solskaer (requires compensation)

In work, experienced: Ian Holloway (requires compensation)

Sadly none of the above managers fit the bizarre criteria they have created.

maybe shearer is not the answer, but won't write him off based on the newcastle spell. I don't know enough about him to have an opinion really, but if he is interested he should talk with shebby/venkys and presents his ideas, how he wants a team to play, transfer policy, training etc etc.

The problems with new managers is that they often start with a certain amount of goodwill. If results and play doesnt improve immidiate people will say "give him more time etc." Ex players usually get more goodwill than someone who has not played at the club etc.

The problem now is that due to youknowwho being in charge here for so long a new manager will start with minimal goodwill and are expected to turn things around instantly. Thats not possible. Eric black got 1 half of a football game and no preparation time before the game for people to write him off.

I think someone like shearer, sherwood or Kenny MAY be the right person to be in charge now because we need someone to unite the fans, unite the club with fans, someone who every rovers fan respect and will do whats best for the club

Hope this is a sign of the times and more ex employees can start to speak out

"The Spaniard spent three years at Ewood Park between 2009-2012, after a glittering spell with Real Madrid, and still holds a lot of affection for the club despite their loss of direction.

Speaking to Sport360°, Salgado conceded there are "a lot of problems" at the club and despite his unhappy end to his time in the North West insists the club will always retain a special place in his heart.

"Everything in Blackburn is crazy," said Salgado. "And has been crazy in the last year or so. From my point of view it t is difficult to know exactly what is going on there now.

"There is a difficult decision at the moment to find the right manager but hopefully they can make the right decision because the fans deserve it."

A host of names have been linked with the vacancy including Rovers legend Alan Shearer, ex-Manchester United striker Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Tim Sherwood.

But Salgado has warned the new man at the helm, whoever it may be, that he will face a tough task turning around the fortunes of a club with deep rooted issues.

"The club have been struggling and so have the players. There are a lot of problems," said Salgado.

"It's an historical club. I love the club. I loved my time there apart from the last six months. I'd like to see Rovers back in the Premier League as soon as possible.""

You cannot ignore the factor that he has strong ties with the club and was by far the best player to have pulled on the shirt, certainly in my generation.

Does this have relevance to his potential managerial ability? No.

These two sentences don't add-up.

You can't ignore he's a club legend? I can when it has no bearing on his credentials - which you ADMIT in the next line down!

But your question was what basis is there for him to manage us and this certainly puts Shearer above candidates like Black or Ali in my opinion.

That's reassuring.

He has always been a leader, is quite clearly strong minded and even from his recent comments 'there would have to be changes', he knows what direction we need to go in.

I don't know about that. His mind never seems that strong on MOTD.

Management entails far more than simply being a "leader". It requires tactical acumen, man-management, player knowledge ("who's Ben Arfa?"), none of which Shearer has displayed be it on the touchline or on the tele.

Above all else, we need somebody strong to get the squad in order and somebody to bring the fans back onside.

No doubt Shearer would get the majority of sheep living in 1995 'onside'. Until they actually watch his side play.

As I've said earlier, quality-wise our squad should be getting promotion this season and any manager with a crumb of ability would be able to achieve that this season.

It's an easy job with the players we have and this is why we've attracted so many applicants.

Then give the job to Eric Black. He had a decent win record at Coventry. He has experience, he knows this division, he has contacts in the game.

Not so easy now, is it?

If Shearer was advised/helped by somebody experienced (Dalglish?), then I'd much, much prefer that to the likes of McCarthy, Keane or anyone else who has the ability to do well in the Championship but fails when making the step up.

Dalglish? Stop living in the past. Kenny's time in the game is spent. Take out his success here, almost twenty years ago with a blank cheque book, he's flopped at both Newcastle & more recently Liverpool. It would be like the blind leading the blind.

Is it so much to ask fans to take off their blue n' white specs and apply some common sense?

Matter of opinion but I think he's lost his touch and his is a career in decline - we should stay well clear.

Difference being that Hughes has been there and done it before.

Would you want Hughes if QPR had been his only job thus far?

Very worrying that Shebby wants a younger manager etc. I am really now starting to worry that we will see someone like Judan Ali appointed as first team manager and Shebby himself getting a prominent role on the playing side of things (Director of Football). This was something that was floated to me last week and I dimissed it out of hand but now I am starting to worry that it could right.

Safe to say that if this did happen then there would be a MASSIVE backlash from fans.

Let's hope that I am totally wrong on this one.

Difference being that Hughes has been there and done it before.

Would you want Hughes if QPR had been his only job thus far?

I'm interested how you see managers taking their first steps into the career? You seem to be dead against giving anyone their first managerial job.

Sky not even trying to hide their pro Kean stance anymore.

"The 45-year-old Scot had been subjected to a long-running hate campaign from a section of the Ewood Park fans."

SEM sports news aren't even worth the time of day. No mention of the deal he was on/had in front of him from the Daily Mail then?

Very worrying that Shebby wants a younger manager etc. I am really now starting to worry that we will see someone like Judan Ali appointed as first team manager and Shebby himself getting a prominent role on the playing side of things (Director of Football). This was something that was floated to me last week and I dimissed it out of hand but now I am starting to worry that it could right.

Safe to say that if this did happen then there would be a MASSIVE backlash from fans.

Let's hope that I am totally wrong on this one.

Surely the brothers would have the sense to overrule him if this is what Shebby proposed?

Archived