BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburn v Millwall 24th November, 2012

Nate

I’ll always have a soft spot for Millwall. There! I’ve said it. "Why?" you might ask. Well, my first ever game of football I watched was Millwall v Norwich City in 1989 - as seen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULOOheC5sgQ I was only ten years old at the time and had come home from my school fete, settled in front of the television and started to watch what I think may have been Match of the Day, or some other similar round up program.

Millwall were at home at Cold Blow Lane and I was enthralled by what I was watching. For a young Australian, I had never seen anything like it. The fencing around the ground, the fans rushing down the terraces when Millwall scored and the atmosphere was electric. The chants from the Millwall fans when they fell behind made me sit up and take notice. Ultimately, they lost the game 2-3, but I was hooked. Hooked on football.

Fast forward to 28 December, 1999. I make my first trip overseas, purely to watch football. My first live game was Millwall v Brentford. Millwall had moved to a new ground and were playing in the old Division Two. Millwall won the game 3-2 with two late goals to Paul Shaw and David Livermore, if memory serves me correct. The place went mental! Seats got ripped up and thrown in the air; the burly chap next to me was hugging me and even kissed me on the cheek! It was an amazing experience and the pretty good way to lose your virginity to live English football.

In 2008 I moved to London and ironically, not far away from the The Den, in Greenwich. But my love for Rovers had started not long after watching my first football game back in 1989. Rewind back to 1989. The start of my infatuation with Rovers is nothing inspiring, or even interesting. I was ten years old at the time and had just played a game for my school team, St. Bernadine's against Blackstone Utd; a game we ultimately lost to fierce rivals. As we pulled up home in my mother’s old Datsun 120Y, I opened the glove box. Inside the glove box were some fixtures for games that had already been played. They were left there by my late grandfather who liked a bit of a bet on the football pools. The one fixture that stood out was a game involving Blackburn. My grandfather had circled them for a win. So just on a whim, I started following them.

To do that in Australia at the time was nigh on impossible. The only way I could was in Monday's newspaper with all the results and tables from the UK, also another newspaper publication called British Soccer Weekly or something. So with the advent of the EPL, Internet and Pay-TV in Australia a few years later, following Rovers was made a lot easier.

I have only made the trip to Ewood once, in 2000 when we played Wolves at home with Kidd in charge. I think it ended 1-1 with a Dunn penalty being saved after English born, Australian raised, Kevin Muscat saw red for a deliberate handball in the box.

So, enough of me reminiscing, but this clash just reminds me of how I was brought in to the football world and how my love of the game transpired. Rest assured, I am definatley a Rover!

After notching up his first win at Peterborough on the weekend, Berg will have a tough time trying to overcome the Lions, who have been in fine form in recent times after an ordinary start. Before their game against Leeds, Millwall have gone nine games unbeaten, which has seen them surge up to 11th in the Championship League table. (Now 10 games unbeaten and 9th on the table, 2 points behind Rovers). Rovers has steadied recently, with Jordon Rhodes hitting a hat-trick against the happless Posh. He has proved an inspiring purchase, something we as Rovers fans have not had the luxury of saying for quite some time.

Whilst both clubs have a long history in the game, they have only met on 32 occasions in the league and cup, with results being as follows:

Blackburn games won:

Milwall games won:

Games drawn:

I’ve met some great Millwall fans over the years and unfortunately, their reputation precedes them. Dean is a Greenwich local, who I met at the Richard I Alehouse. When I lived over in London I would talk to anybody who would listen to me about football. I think being Australian with a reasonable knowledge of football surprised the locals and they listened to me. Anyway, Dean was kind enough to answer some questions for www.brfcs.com.

Q: Some great young talent has come out of Millwall over the years, such as notable ex-Rovers players Lucas Neill and Steven Reid to Tim Cahill, Chris Armstrong, and Mark Kennedy etc. What attributes to this and would Millwall have been a more successful club if they had of been able to keep hold of this talent?

A: Definitely. But a club our size will always be a selling club. Especially when players get ambitious when there is talk about a “bigger” club interested. During the mid-nineties when we lost to Derby in the playoff final, it whet the appetite of a lot of the player’s ambitions. Especially because we sky dived after that.

Q: Do you think this is why Millwall seem to be a club that yo-yo’s between first and second division?

A: For sure… plus other factors. We are a small club in a city where the competition is fierce. And if you’re not a successful, fashionable club, then success is hard to come by. We don’t have an exorbitant amount of money to spend and attracting major sponsors has always been an issue.

Q: Millwall this season started off terribly, but are now in a rich vein of form. How do you see the season panning out for the club?

A: The Championship is such a tough league; you only have to look at the table to see that. I would be surprised if we were anywhere near the top, especially after the start to the season we had. There are plenty of teams bigger and stronger than us. So I would imagine a mid-table finish for us. And the less said about that other South London team on top, the better!

Q: Is Kenny Jacket the man to get you to the Premier League?

A: In a word, no. Although I wish that if anybody could it would be him. He has just had his 5 year anniversary at the club in the game against Leeds. In that time he has had us close, but we are too small a club to make it – unless we get a billionaire owner to back us. Yeah right!

Q: We all know what has been happening at Blackburn Rovers since the Venky’s takeover. What are your opinions on this?

A: Most football fans only know what they see on mainstream media, but with you being in my ear for almost 2 years I can see how badly the club has been run. I think the appointment of Berg may not have been the right one considering the other options that were available. But so far he seems to have steadied the ship for you guys and you look more settled, if that is the word.

Q: Well I had to bitch about it to somebody. Rather you than my poor fiance.

A: She's a Blade so she deserves it!

Q: Blackburn team strengths/weaknesses. What do you think they are?

A: The whole squad! Seriously, the squad is too good for this league! But I’d have to say Jordan Rhodes. I thought he would struggle at Championship level and even more so when he went to you guys. His hat-trick the other day has not put me at ease. Also Pedersen on his day can do damage.

As for weaknesses, as with us at the start of the season it would have to be defence. So it could be quite an attack minded game.

Q: Any chance of a guess of the score?

A: An entertaining 2-2 draw – only because you are at home. Looks like we will be bringing up 1200-1500, so hoping for a great atmosphere. No one likes us!

From my own point of view, I think we will be in for an exciting game. Millwall have some great attacking options with Wood, Henderson and Trotter with the team scoring 30 goals so far this season as opposed to our 26. The Lions achillies heel at the begining of the season was their defence, which has been sorted out in recent times only 5 goals scored against them in the last six games, with three of those coming in a thrilling 3-3 with Birmingham City. Rovers have been miserly in front of goal, but my heart always skips a few beats when our defence is under attack, but hopefully Berg and Co. have sorted this.

So for those of you going to the game, please enjoy on my behalf! I'm hoping the game will be on Setanta over here in Oz!

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good read, thanks.

Got to be looking for a win in this to get a bit of momentum going but you never know. They are in good form. Unbeaten in ten, 4 wins and a draw out of the last 5, only conceding 2. Will be hard to break down. Looking at it that way a draw wouldn't be a disaster.

Still, prediction 2-0 Rovers.

Important to get three points from this one, start of a potentially tough few fixtures, Millwall, Bolton, Burnley and Cardiff within just over a fortnight

Exactly Gally. We must make Ewood into a fortress and start recording consistent victories aagain and claiming the points. Tough looking fixtures ahead. Rovers 2-0. COYB.

Oh the memories of a 4-1 away success at Millwall many many moons ago with Garner in impeccable form and Rovers running riot in London. Is it really that long ago ????

Still cant make this game as my knee isnt up to it yet (hoping to make Bolton).

I remember my mum, YES MY MUM, taking me to a Rovers v Millwall game eons ago, it was a cup game played on a night match and it was freezing. Rovers were expecting the F Troop morons in their thousands top take on the Northerners. None appeared and we won the game 1-0 (iirc).

Funny team Millwall under Jacket. They have some half decent players and some who are poor on their day. Rovers have to be on their game and up for it.

2-0 Rovers. The start of the most important run of games this season. As KeanWIT KEAN once said, we are in a number of cup finals that will define our season.

COYB

I wouldn't under-estimate Miilwall - they might be a small club but they are a lot better than Peterborough. They have a decent away record and haven't lost for 10 games, according to the BBC.

This is a game we should win though, if we are to be serious promotion candidates come next May.

Don't think there will be a lot in it so 1-0 or maybe 2-1 to Rovers. We do need to get in a good run of form with our date down the M65 looming large.

COYB.

First time I saw Millwall at Ewood was in the late sixties. The late Frank Lord was making his debut for us at centre forward on a freezing cold day with a bone hard pitch. We won 1-0 with a very late Eammon Rogers goal if my memory serves me well. Millwall were very defensive but we couldn't break them down and I remember their goalie and centre half both having blinders. I seem to recall 'array Cripps and Eamon Dunphy playing for them that day also.

Just checked up- it was on Dec the 3rd 1966, we did indeed win 1-0 courtesy of a Rogers goal. Rovers team that day was.

Barton.

Newton

Clayton

Sharples

Wilson

Connelly

Joyce

Hole

Harrison

Lord

Rogers

With Mike Ferguson as an unused sub ?

I wouldn't mind a couple of those for today's team.

Quite surprised they're bringing 1200-1500 with them, I expected a pretty low following. Lets see if Saturdays performance will attract some more bums on seats for us too, won't hold my breath on that one though!

Really hope we can build on our previous performance on Saturday and also Wednesday in the run up to THAT game the following Sunday. A nice 2-0 would do the trick.

First time I saw Millwall at Ewood was in the late sixties. The late Frank Lord was making his debut for us at centre forward on a freezing cold day with a bone hard pitch. We won 1-0 with a very late Eammon Rogers goal if my memory serves me well. Millwall were very defensive but we couldn't break them down and I remember their goalie and centre half both having blinders. I seem to recall 'array Cripps and Eamon Dunphy playing for them that day also.

Just checked up- it was on Dec the 3rd 1966, we did indeed win 1-0 courtesy of a Rogers goal. Rovers team that day was.

Barton.

Newton

Clayton

Sharples

Wilson

Connelly

Joyce

Hole

Harrison

Lord

Rogers

With Mike Ferguson as an unused sub ?

I wouldn't mind a couple of those for today's team.

Has anyone ever seen a better penalty taker than Harrison ?

Yes, Shearer!!

Don't remember Harrison ever missing.

They were like arrows into the bottom corners every time.

With a heart, this guy could have been top, top class. Unfortunately, if the full back rattled him early on, he tended to fade away, mind you, what full backs did in those days would constitute GBH in today's game !

Has anyone ever seen a better penalty taker than Harrison ?

He was the best I saw take pens for Rovers. He side footed them into the corners like rockets, most players couldn't hit them that hard putting their foot through the ball. As you said, on his day he was un-stoppable, but for a a big, strapping player ( think a taller, faster version of Mark Hughes in physique, he had legs like tree trunks and he could really shift ) he could be roughed up easily. I remember going to a private Rovers practice game, first team attack versus defense, and John Bray really gave him some stick.

Terrific preview, Nate.

I'll never forget being at a game at Millwall's old ground [Cold Blow Lane] which was featured on the following Monday's "Panorama" programme about football hooligans [some time in the late 1970s/very early 1980s?]. The ground was un-segregated and we won 1-0. My mate and I, both being devout and practising pacifists ^_^ , chose not to reveal our loyalty or to celebrate until we were safely locked in his elder brother's [also a Rover, of course] VW "Beetle", driving away to safety.

I think this game will be a proper test of the progress we're making under Henning Berg; I think it'll be a tough one; so it's fingers crossed and I hope we'll win by the odd goal in three.

Archived