134 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support a safe standing area at Ewood

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2h4yzrn.jpg

This is the Kop at Dortmund, which if I remember rightly holds over 20,000 people in just one end, and they fill it almost every game. I'm not saying every ground should have one as big as this, but if the Germans can get it right for this many people, surely English clubs can cater for 4-5000 hardcore 'stander-uppers'...

It has lowered the price of German football as well, it is 187-225euros for a season ticket in this end, watching one of Germany's biggest clubs.

Edit: That price is only for 17 league fixtures, but they chuck in CL group games too.

After the Hillsborough disaster, standing in grounds should never be an option. Would be a kick in the teeth after we have come so far since the 90's.

That's just misinformed rubbish though. Why shouldn't it be an option?

SAFE is the key word, and just because some fans stand up doesn't mean we are 'back to the 90's' - there is no potential for a crush or anything of the sort under the proposed arrangement.

I stand at every home/away game virtually, but it'd be much safer in a designated area. Also means that fans who sit down don't have to worry about annoying people stood in front of them (not that I do that), whilst also contributing to a much improved atmosphere.

The fact is, all seater stadiums have helped with the death of terrace atmosphere in England. All we have to do is compare it to the far more atmospheric German league, which is also thriving and is ahead of the English league in pretty much every department.

I have the upmost respect for the Hillsbrough campaign and the JFT96 group but they shouldn't have any influence on safe standing, as their opinion is clouded by a lack of knowledge on the subject and very understandable emotion.

I don't understand why people would be against safe standing, if people choose to. It's quite a normal thing to do at other events - I go to rugby where I can quite easily stand, I go watching non-league footy where I can quite easily stand, I go to gigs where I can stand. In fact we've been to a couple of away games this year which only had terracing.

Of course we'd never have a stand like the Kop at Dortmund (just to have 27,000 people at all in Ewood ever again will be some kind of minor miracle!!) but I don't see how a standing section to one side of the Blackburn End would hurt anyone. I've been to a few games in Germany in the past couple of years - my favourite was standing on the fancurve at MSV Duisburg (with a beer!! shock horror!) and that kind of set up would be perfect for Ewood. One end of standing, three sides of seating - so people who want to stand can stand, people who want to sit can sit. Quite logical really.

• Moderation Lead
After the Hillsborough disaster, standing in grounds should never be an option. Would be a kick in the teeth after we have come so far since the 90's.

As someone mentioned earlier, wonder how the families of the 96 feel about Liverpool fans standing on the Kop and at away matches?

If you don't want to stand, then don't. It's a proposal for a standing area, it isn't going to be mandatory across the board.....

At Perth Glory's ground three sides are seating (currently undergoing redevelopment) but one side has remained standing it was actual built 10 years ago as a standing area, only minor injuries over the last few years ,were from smoke cannisters and beer is allowed on all areas of the ground in view of the match. The standing area is two tired (pic below smaller capacity upper tier) and holds about 3500 when full.

l.jpgGlory%2BShed.jpg

When I moved over here first game I went to went in there was great atmosphere bit like it used to be following Rovers at away grounds , now though take my 70 odd year old father in law to games so go into one of the seated areas (bit too boistorous for him in the shed end). So can not see the problem with standing areas that are built to current safety specs. You could argue that in this case Aussie supporters aren't as "rowdy" but considering the Shed is made up of a large number of ex pats and different nationalities from traditional European footballing countries sort of deflates it

As someone mentioned earlier, wonder how the families of the 96 feel about Liverpool fans standing on the Kop and at away matches?

If you don't want to stand, then don't. It's a proposal for a standing area, it isn't going to be mandatory across the board.....

When your father loses his best mate in the disaster and you know the ins and outs of the Hillsborough tragedy, then your views would be very similar to mine.

The standing in seated areas is no where as bad as what the standing was like in the 80's and earlier. There is no chance of crushing the person in front due to the seat in front being the 'obstruction'.

Like I said, it would be a kick in the teeth after the Hillsborough disaster.

Over 100 votes on this so a reasonable sample of opinion. This will be presented to the club (along with other info) after the weekend so if you have an opinion on this, please vote if you haven't already.

As I have said previously, a number of clubs throughout the leagues have expressed an interest in taking part in a trial, so the hope is if opinion is strong amongst Rovers fans that our club will also be pursuaded to look into it.

Whilst it's commendable Ben, I don't think the clubs hierarchy are interested in the fans' view on mundane stuff, let alone controversial and emotive topics like standing trials.

Good luck though - maybe they'll surprise us! :tu:

When your father loses his best mate in the disaster and you know the ins and outs of the Hillsborough tragedy, then your views would be very similar to mine.

The standing in seated areas is no where as bad as what the standing was like in the 80's and earlier. There is no chance of crushing the person in front due to the seat in front being the 'obstruction'.

I dont understand the last line given the middle line.

I don't mind standing areas provided I don't have to stand in them. I remember standing on the Riverside with my feet frozen so that I could no longer feel them and I have no wish to return to that. If others want to do that, whatever turns you on, but what I can not stand is the louts that stand in the seated areas and block the view of the public who respect those areas. It is the height of uncaring selfishness.

Without trying to be disrespectful here, why then as you mention the above, are Liverpool one of the worst, if not the worst offenders for standing not only at away matches (which alot of fans do) but home matches also...?

I don't mind standing areas provided I don't have to stand in them.

I think that's one of the main advantages of bringing in designated standing areas Al. Having a designated area where those who want to stand can go will greatly reduce the chances of you and me being sat behind anyone standing.

80% want a return of safe standing. Hopefully it will be a resounding success at the clubs that are trialling it and we will sign up at some point in the future. How about a a re-built 1 tier riverside with one half terrace and one half seated?

Firstly, thanks to the 130+ who voted in this poll. Following a meeting with officials at the club this evening I can advise that although the club would not want to lead on an initiative of trialling a safe standing area, they would indeed be open to look at this option if/when it gets off the ground.

So the good news is they are not opposed to it, but are reluctant to join the current list of clubs who have offered to initially trial it should the Government give the green light for it to happen.

Archived