BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Realistic February aims

Looking at the fixtures it's a busy month for us. We have made the perfect start to it results wise but we've got some tough ties ahead, many of which are away. We also have the potential to bring in a few players and a cup game on the horizon

Beginning with league progression, given that our remaining fixtures this month are Ipswich at home, Hull away, Leeds at home and Leicester away, and that these games are largely unpredictable I would say a realistic aim if we do a very good job is to try and stay within the same difference as we are now from the play-offs. Maybe even reduce the gap to 5 points. That would be a great achievement and put us in good stead for a late push. I am of course talking about a realistic aim if we do well, so no need to simply come in with the negativity and say we don't stand a chance, etc. I'd be more interested to see what people think we are capable of if we do well.

On the players front it would be nice to see both loan signings come in and also for Best to hopefully get some game time.

As for the cup, our aim, I am sure, is to not be embarrassed.

We should do this as a monthly thread (I know this one started a game late for Feb) as it will be interesting to see what people think is realistic to expect, and if we over-perform, according to their predictions, if they see any positivity in that or continue to push the negative agenda. I think it's also useful to put things into perspective rather than being reactionary from one game to the next.

What are your hopes for this month and also, what do you think will happen?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I adopt the John Virgo phrase, 'You've got to pot as many balls as you can' which translated into football terms, get as many points as we can!

dalglish philosophy at Rovers was 'To get as many points as you can as quickly as you can' by doing that early season, pressure is off for relegation and you can kick on, of course we had the financial clout in those days to be able to compete in the prem on at least equal terms but again, the principle needs to be the same, go into every game to pick up points and see where it takes us!!

FA Cup - Keep a clean sheet at the Emirates. We did under Kean and they should be playing a weaker team, same as us from that day. Get bodies behind the ball and let them over-play it all day long.

Incoming Signings - Thomas and Campbell on loan. Personally, I see CM as a bigger priority than up front so I'd rather bring in a box-to-box midfielder than Campbell.

Outgoings - Get Robbo off the wage bill. Let him get a game somewhere else as he'll hate sitting on the bench for the rest of the season.

League - Win at home to Ipswich and Leeds. Try and get something from Hull and Leicester. They're beatable, everyone is. P'boro won away at Cardiff, we can beat these. We've beaten them both this season anyway. They're both on form atm so hopefully by the time we face them, they've stalled a bit.

Hull have lost at home to Sheff Wed, P'boro and Burnley this season. Leicester are very good at home though. Only Cardiff and Palace have won there and they've scored 35 goals at home this season.....we've scored 40 home and away.

We also play Brighton away, a week on Tuesday. We need to be beating our "divisional rivals".

Bristol City (H)- 3 points

Ipswich (H)- 3 points

Brighton (A)- 3 points

Hull (A)- 1 point

Leeds (H)- 3 points

Leicester (A)- 1 point

I think we'll gather 14 points this month.

As to Arsenal, I'd play Best if he's fit. It'll give us a chance to see him and Rhodes up front together without risking precious league points. But I think we have a chance to sneak something out of it.

Ipswich, Hull, Leeds and Leicester.

Tough games. We need to improve our home form. If we win against Ipswich hopefully the good feeling will push us on to another home win against Leeds. The two away games will be wry tough. Can see us losing to Leicester but nicking something against Hull. Maybe a draw there. Is 7 points from 4 games enough to keep us in the hunt?

Ipswich (H)- 3 points

Brighton (A)- 3 points

Hull (A)- 1 point

Leeds (H)- 3 points

Leicester (A)- 1 point

As to Arsenal, I'd play Best if he's fit. It'll give us a chance to see him and Rhodes up front together without risking precious league points. But I think we have a chance to sneak something out of it.

I hope you're right but think that's towards the top end on the optimistic scale. With our midfield cant see us going on a 7 game unbeaten league run if include last couple of league results. Think it'll be

Ipswich 3pts

Brighton 1 pt

Hull 1 pt

Leeds 3 pts

Leicester 0 pts

To be honest with hull away (currently in 3rd), Leicester away (2nd), leeds (just above us), and Brighton also above us I think 8 pts from next 5 games would be a good return and the maximum can realistically expect.

• Backroom

Ipswich (H)- 3 points

Brighton (A)- 3 points

Hull (A)- 1 point

Leeds (H)- 3 points

Leicester (A)- 1 point

So you think we're going to be undefeated in February and can sneak a win against Arsenal? Jheeze man, can I have some of what you're having? :lol:

Seriously, if we get 7/8 points that would be adequate. We'll lose at least one of the away matches, and I think we'll drop points in one of our home matches too. Can see Ipswich being a draw, possibly Leeds as well.

• Backroom

Think arsenal will field a reserve team as they play champs league a few days later and we will nick a win.

I don't buy into this line of thinking at all. What are Arsenal more likely to win, the FA Cup or the Champions League?

Considering their well publicised trophy drought I'd be shocked if they didn't put out a strong team against us.

I adopt the John Virgo phrase, 'You've got to pot as many balls as you can' which translated into football terms, get as many points as we can!

dalglish philosophy at Rovers was 'To get as many points as you can as quickly as you can' by doing that early season, pressure is off for relegation and you can kick on, of course we had the financial clout in those days to be able to compete in the prem on at least equal terms but again, the principle needs to be the same, go into every game to pick up points and see where it takes us!!

Indeed, but what do you think is a realistic month for us to expect if we perform decently?

I do have some Guinness in the fridge...

Make sure it's in date.

I had a couple of swigs of some 2 years past their sell by date.

'fizzy gravy' doesn't quite cover it, 30 minutes later...

• Backroom

Minimum 7 but reckon we could scrape 10 if we keep fit and get lucky. I don't feel we'll hit top gear until best and king return.

The 10 (an extra win) is based on my hoped-for impacts of Campbell and/or Thomas and/or Williamson :$

(un)Realistic aim for february - seeing a thread stay on topic (having just waded through 4 pages on the appleton thread without a mention of appleton...)

:rolleyes:

Seriously - i would take 3 league wins and spirited showing against Arsenal. Anything better will be a bonus. Hopefully bring in 2 players on loan.

Archived