BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Bentley

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do. I'm not surprised at all that things didn't work out for him. How many times have we seen a player who has performed brilliantly for a smaller team where he has been the main man, force a move to a bigger club that has lots of similarly talented players, only for it to fail? I saw this coming a mile off. Bentley threw five years of his career away because he got seduced by the bright lights of London and had players whispering in his year what he could be earning at another club while away with England.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Backroom

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2291884/David-Bentley-says-fans-allowed-abuse-players.html

Not sure if this has been posted but some interesting comments from Bentley. A subtle dig at Orr, perhaps?

‘At times we get a bit politically correct in this society,’ the 28-year-old said. ‘Fans should be allowed to drink, enjoy themselves and abuse the players. The players should take it. Football's like a pantomime.

‘That's what football should be about. There should be more of it. Every ground you go to should be like that with the fans fully involved. It's the way it should be. It makes it more exciting. Football, especially now, can seem a bit boring.

'People are paying big money to go to games, I see no problem with what they say as long as you stay away from racist and homophobic stuff, it's fine.'

Spot on IMO.

• 1 year later...

He'll regret it in a few years when he wants to play but is too old an bloated. Turning out on a Sunday morning park just to play and wishing it was WHL, then it'll sink in and haunt him the rest of his days, sad.

Thanks. I notice Robbo is SEM!

Sorry, Perth, I know it may be a bit anal, but I do keep wondering about a) existing Rovers players at the time of Sam's exit, who got big new contracts ( with a cut for certain others.)

b)new players who were signed with new contracts( with a cut for certain others)

c) players who were sold for big fees ( with a cut for certain others)

Archived