BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Dunn a Blackburn Legend

Gav

Guest Norbert

In no way is he a legend. Fazakerley, Garner, Shearer, Hendry and Crompton are what you could call club legends. Dunn is merely a mild 'fans favourite' because he's a local guy who has played for his local team. Sometimes very well. And in recent seasons, only when his contract is being reviewed.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not Dunn's biggest fan. I've long said that his injury problems are most likely his own fault for not living the lifestyle required of somebody on an unreal amount of money. But some of the sentiment expressed on here is ridiculous. He is a true Rover, you could see exactly what that goal against Burnley at Ewood meant to him and if he hadn't have been there then we would have lost. Without doubt.

As for his defence of Kean; he worked with him everyday and his perspective on the situation would have been completely different to anyone on here's. 90% of what he would have known of the situation is that his boss, probably a largely agreeable character on the training ground, was receiving stick like any other manager losing games of football. Besides Dunn doesn't strike me as the sharpest knife in the drawer, I don't think he was ever going to be out for his manager's head, nor should he have been. That isn't his place, he is there to try and win matches.

Some complain when players show no sense of loyalty or respect for a club and then are the first to advocate reciprocating in kind.

[EDIT] Oh and what the next post says, I forgot to mention it.

Too much guff and too many short memory banks on here. Forget sentimentality (we can't afford it) this is business. Dunny left sentiment at home and had his business head on when he left the club of his boyhood dreams and flerked of to the mighty Birmingham City didn't he? Lets be honest it was hardly between us or Man U / Chelsea / NUFC or Spurs was it? He had his business head on when he bent over for Steve Kean in such unedifying fashion and he appears to have his business head on when inventing injury after injury to elongate his lucrative career (happens frequently with pro footballeers these days I'm very reliably informed). Is it coincidence that each and every time we've seen Dunny at his best his contracts running out?

A superb talent without a doubt but pay as you play Davey Boy or there's the door.

From my memory, he left because souness said he was a "playboy" and vented certain criticisms at him, of which souness was right, but I don't think he ever wanted to go to them lot and a lot of people were angry at the smallish fee of £4.8mil we received for him, considering he'd just broke into the England side.

From my memory, he left because souness said he was a "playboy" and vented certain criticisms at him, of which souness was right, but I don't think he ever wanted to go to them lot and a lot of people were angry at the smallish fee of £4.8mil we received for him, considering he'd just broke into the England side.

Souness was right and Dunny went on to underachieve. Souness knew what was needed to succeed at the very top and Dunne now never will. Too late to cry over spilt milk.... spilt by nothing but a pathetic and stupid attitude. He's not alone in that is he? Better players than him have spewed their talent. Best, Bowles, Gascoigne and Collymore being the leading lights in that respect but there are plenty more.

I'm not Dunn's biggest fan. I've long said that his injury problems are most likely his own fault for not living the lifestyle required of somebody on an unreal amount of money. But some of the sentiment expressed on here is ridiculous. He is a true Rover, you could see exactly what that goal against Burnley at Ewood meant to him and if he hadn't have been there then we would have lost. Without doubt.

Well, it's difficult to say that without a doubt.

What if he didn't play and somebody more talented and/or fitter had played and contributed more throughout the 93 minutes, resulting in a Rovers win?

It's all ifs and buts, but let's not let a scabby late (clearly offside) goal against some local rivals cloud our judgement here.

What if he didn't play and somebody more talented and/or fitter had played and contributed more throughout the 93 minutes, resulting in a Rovers win?

But that wouldn't have happened would it? If Dunn hadn't played it would have been Pedersen or Williamson, and I seriously doubt either would have got themselves into such an attacking position as Dunn was when he scored. Thats not to mention him having more of an effect on proceedings than Jones and Lowe in the game up until that point.

Could we get a better attacking midfielder than Dunn for the same money? So thats a free transfer and wages around £15-20,000 per week? Cause the new player would have to be on lower pay than Dunn to offset agent/signing on fees. If the answer is no then keeping him is a no-brainer.

Clearly everybody is entitled to their opinion and there are some valid points on the thread but I am absolutely baffled at some of the antipathy and outright venom directed at David Dunn.

All very odd for me but a sign of the times I suppose.

Another shocking revelation by Dunn in todays LET. Shocking in two ways. One, that we have that many players and two, that he appears to be so blasé about it.

“There are going to be times with these Saturday-Tuesdays and Saturday-Wednesdays and it will not just be myself, there will be a few other players who are probably rested on a few of those games.

“But I’ve heard we’ve got 52 players so we’ve got plenty of players to pick from.”

and of those 52 players I can only name 1 worth having :blink:

• Backroom

In no particular order: Kean, Hanley, other Hanley, Henley, Williamson, Rhodes, Kane, Edwards, O'Connell, Dann, Dunn, Givet and Rochina. And that's just those we know from last season, nevermind my optimism re: Judge and Taylor.

I took 'worth keeping' as meaning good enough to start for our 1st X1 bearing in mind that we are no longer in the PL. All those players were good enough to get a 17th finish in a season full of upheaval. In a steady season with one manager (and the best out of all our oyhers last season) I expect a top-half finish. If thinks click and we're consistent, MAYBE a play-off push.

Think Dunny will be good for the last thirty minutes of a game, as an impact player. Its just a pity he cant sustain a full ninety minutes amongst all this dross thats probably ahead of him at this moment in time.

• Backroom

Think Dunny will be good for the last thirty minutes of a game, as an impact player. Its just a pity he cant sustain a full ninety minutes amongst all this dross thats probably be ahead of him at this moment in time.

That might be a good idea in terms of getting the fans a little more hyped up too.

Noticeably a class above in the few matches he played in last season, and it seems that he's have played considerably more had backroom politics not been a factor.

Doubt very much that he's one of our top earners, probably the closest thing to a no brainer we'll have this summer.

In no particular order: Kean, Hanley, other Hanley, Henley, Williamson, Rhodes, Kane, Edwards, O'Connell, Dann, Dunn, Givet and Rochina. And that's just those we know from last season, nevermind my optimism re: Judge and Taylor.

I took 'worth keeping' as meaning good enough to start for our 1st X1 bearing in mind that we are no longer in the PL. All those players were good enough to get a 17th finish in a season full of upheaval. In a steady season with one manager (and the best out of all our oyhers last season) I expect a top-half finish. If thinks click and we're consistent, MAYBE a play-off push.

I meant just Rhodes....premierleague, league 1, championship, whatever. He would be the only one I would be sad to see sold. The rest would get a 'meh' from me as they are replaceable. Scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in football.

52 players and only 1 decent one amongst them

This is all an opinion I currently have. It's a fluid opinion that may change if the other 51 pull their tripe out

• Backroom

I meant just Rhodes....premierleague, league 1, championship, whatever. He would be the only one I would be sad to see sold. The rest would get a 'meh' from me as they are replaceable. Scoring goals is the hardest thing to do in football.

52 players and only 1 decent one amongst them

This is all an opinion I currently have. It's a fluid opinion that may change if the other 51 pull their tripe out

Ahhh, from that POV I sort of agree (although I still rate Grant Hanley, Henley and Williamson as 'must keeps' for this season). It does rely on replacements for these guys though.

I'd rather look at getting rid of the likes of Murphy, Etuhu, Pedersen, Gomes, Formica, Henrique, Orr (I think Lowe is better than him at RB tbh), both Olssons, Goodwillie (prefer Slew), Riberio and Rosado before culling any of the guys I mentioned (yes I trawled through the site's 'first team'). It's worth noting that many could still be counted as U21's on that site, so it's more likely we have 35 1st teamer's to start with. Get rid of the lot I just mentioned then build on the talent we already have.

Eg: I don't think Dann is brilliant. But I'd only get rid if an adequate replacement came in or we ABSOLUTELY had one in the academy. Edwards and O'Connell are good, but I'd want to see them tried.

• Backroom

52 is a shockingly high number though. No wonder the club is losing money hand over fist

In the context of some U21's and U18's being included, it won't be all THAT much. Certainly the blame must lie with the unnecessarily high earners who contribute nowt. The majority of the U21's will be on less than 5k/week.

Could we get a better attacking midfielder than Dunn for the same money? So thats a free transfer and wages around £15-20,000 per week? Cause the new player would have to be on lower pay than Dunn to offset agent/signing on fees. If the answer is no then keeping him is a no-brainer.

I think we could easily get someone to take his place sat on the sidelines for a lot less...... in fact I'd like to volunteer to do that for just 1% of that figure.

I just wish someone could divide Dunn'e remuneration by his minutes on the pitch and then extrapolate that through to full 90 min matches. It would be a frightening amount per game ..... and an even more frightening waste of money.

Not often I agree with you . It's weird how there is more hate for Dunn than venkyscum .

Not hate Abbey. I love watching Dunny, always have and I admire his ability immensely, but I refuse to put the telescope on the eye patch and ignore his matches lost to injury. I've seen it all far too often and imo he has been intentionally swinging the lead and playing injured in order to prolongue his income stream. If he isn't then the alternative is that he is a crock that we don't need and can't afford. It's a well worn tactic employed by certain players and certain agents in football. We have all seen DD rise from his sickbed and play some marvellous matches but usually everytime his contract is coming up for renewal. Dunny is only slightly above Vince Grella in swinging the lead and extorting money from BRFC imo. I repeat... unless he is willing to sign on a pay as you play deal then he has to be potted.

I think we could easily get someone to take his place sat on the sidelines for a lot less...... in fact I'd like to volunteer to do that for just 1% of that figure.

I just wish someone could divide Dunn'e remuneration by his minutes on the pitch and then extrapolate that through to full 90 min matches. It would be a frightening amount per game ..... and an even more frightening waste of money.

Take your point. In the league he had 9 starts and 6 substitute appearances last season, didn't realise it was quite that bad. About half Pedersen and Etuhu and a third Murphy and Lowe. Pay as you play or a significantly reduced wage would be the way to go then, maybe the second has actually happened. The reason I'm so reluctant to cast him aside personally is the incredible rarity of players who can do what he does and with the quality that he does it. The art of the attacking midfielder is dying and the art of beating players through trickery rather than pace is dying.

Dunn at his best is practically unique in this league, our attempt to replace him last season resulted in a disillusioned granddad who couldn't run. Our attempt to replace him the season before resulted in a kid from Barcelona who couldn't pass and was blown over by a strong gust of wind. I suspect another attempt to replace him will end up being just as futile. He's practically irreplaceable with the resources and pulling power we've got. So either you take a big risk on him again, or you remove an attacking threat from our arsenal in favour of another hardworking midfield grafter devoid of footballing ability.

I think it was a risk worth taking, although with a bit of luck that kid from Barcelona who can't pass might keep him out the team anyway.

Archived