BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Dunn a Blackburn Legend

Gav

And yet I would argue the reverse applies in the common view of Dunn and Pedersen. Objectively they should both be legends, or close to it:

Dunn - 344 appearances, 56 goals, 1 promotion, 1 trophy, 24 England caps (all levels), instrumental in 4 top half PL finishes.

Pedersen - 349 appearances, 47 goals, 96 Norway caps (all levels), instrumental in 4 top half PL finishes.

Its only when we start factoring in the subjective opinions of our self-declared expert fanbase, including the extremely dubious self-inflicted injuries of Dunn and sub-standard effort of Pedersen, that they take on a significantly inferior status.

Thankfully the history books don't include such amateurish analysis which is why the Rovers stock of the likes of Souness and Allardyce have risen with time. In 10 years Dunn and Pedersen will be closer to being recognised as they should be, and the harsher critics in this thread will conveniently forget all the stick they dished out at the time, as per usual.

Without a clear definition of what a 'legend' actually is, everything is a subjective opinion. Adding in numbers in the form of games played doesn't make it objective.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prob had a match coming up.

As for a few scoops and a kebab on match nights who the hell cares? These guys could simply stay on at training for an hour or two and it's gone. The old Lpool way was to weigh and measure the players on Mon and if they had put weight on from the weight that the club stated they should be then it was extra training for that week. They even had miscreants training in a plastic bin bag under their shirts to make em sweat. Players soon realised that it was preferable to not put weight on than get it off. I'm sure nowadays that science linked to bmi and blood/urine samples could allow for a similar system to be monitored even better.

Sports scientists would be rolling in their graves at these comments Gordon, fluctuations like that are definitely not the way forward, best example in recent times was Ricky Hatton, massive talent and ability, no discipline and a liking for Guinness and fry ups. His abilities were enough against the lesser guys but against the best, the fluctuations seriously took their toll and he got hammered.

All the pros who have longevity and success in their careers look after themselves, they don't @#/? it up and eat all kinds of crap.

Might be better to ask what he has done that is legendary.

Tugay's ball control and striking of the ball from distance - legendary

Friedel's shot-stopping - legendary

Duff's dribbling and scoring exploits - legendary.

I'm struggling to come up with something similar for David Dunn - I hate to be harsh, but really can't think of anything that stands out like the above, off teh top of my head.

Sports scientists would be rolling in their graves at these comments Gordon, fluctuations like that are definitely not the way forward, best example in recent times was Ricky Hatton, massive talent and ability, no discipline and a liking for Guinness and fry ups. His abilities were enough against the lesser guys but against the best, the fluctuations seriously took their toll and he got hammered.

All the pros who have longevity and success in their careers look after themselves, they don't @#/? it up and eat all kinds of crap.

... and if you want to stay on boxing, a good contrast would be Bernard Hopkins.

Prob had a match coming up.

As for a few scoops and a kebab on match nights who the hell cares? These guys could simply stay on at training for an hour or two and it's gone. The old Lpool way was to weigh and measure the players on Mon and if they had put weight on from the weight that the club stated they should be then it was extra training for that week. They even had miscreants training in a plastic bin bag under their shirts to make em sweat. Players soon realised that it was preferable to not put weight on than get it off. I'm sure nowadays that science linked to bmi and blood/urine samples could allow for a similar system to be monitored even better.

BMI, Body fat %, is all a load of tosh. The equations for body fat % (jackson Pollock) make the assumption we are all the same height for example. BMI does take height into account but doesn't consider body type or shape, It's the distribution of the fat that's the issue and linked to the health issues raised. Best way is just to monitor the measurment points and use a visual aid IE photo to donate improvements/decreases.

I'm struggling to come up with something similar for David Dunn - I hate to be harsh, but really can't think of anything that stands out like the above, off teh top of my head.

... and if you want to stay on boxing, a good contrast would be Bernard Hopkins.

:lol:

"Rolling in their graves" blue n white? Thats a strange one for sure.

Sports scientists couldn't trap a wet sandbag. Ricky Hatton took the p1ss in between fights. A sports psychologist (more who couldn't do the above) might suggest that an athletes well being and mental state comes into play too. There needs to be a happy medium in all this and the biggest problems with our lot appears to be between their ears. No idea why but our footballers seem much more immature than their european counterparts.

It's because he's local and has took the @#/? outta the dingles, people romantacise, truth is there are plenty on here from Blackburn who regularly take the @#/? outta the dingles, are they legends too?

BMI, Body fat %, is all a load of tosh.

I had read that but I've no idea what system it's been replaced with. Lets be honest why would I?

Things move on and sometimes they move on so far they come back to the start. For example and it's maybe going off at a tangent somewhat but eggs and butter are now not regarded as unhealthy as they were thought to be 20 years ago.

Sports scientists couldn't trap a wet sandbag. Ricky Hatton took the p1ss in between fights. A sports psychologist (more who couldn't do the above) might suggest that an athletes well being and mental state comes into play too. There needs to be a happy medium in all this and the biggest problems with our lot appears to be between their ears. No idea why but our footballers seem much more immature than their european counterparts.

Hasn't Dunn took the p1ss in exactly the same way? The game has evolved dramatically since the black bin bag training regimes, like it or not they are professional athletes, and any professional maximises their edge, for footballers physicality is a massive part of this.

@#/? food, @#/? drinking habits are scientificaly proven to cause derogatory mental issues, depression, mood swings, emotional control all influenced by a crap diet. A shrink is only useful if the subject knows he has a problem and wishes to resolve it. Unfortunatly becuase of the ego driven personalities created these days (how we raise children, the power we give them and the positive environement completely opposed to reality), we see what we do. Until football wakes up and realises that the clubs along with the parents, have to work hand in hand to develop the right traits mentally nothing will change.

I had read that but I've no idea what system it's been replaced with. Lets be honest why would I?

Things move on and sometimes they move on so far they come back to the start. For example and it's maybe going off at a tangent somewhat but eggs and butter are now not regarded as unhealthy as they were thought to be 20 years ago.

I just measure the 8 sites and keep a record of them over time, always measured at the same time etc etc and when fully hydrated. Just put the data into a spider graph and track the points. Photo's are taken each time as well as this gives the players a visual record of how they are improving or not. Eggs are the gold standard of rpotein and have been for donkies years, dunno where unhealthy came from? But you try getting a footballer to drink a protein shake let along an egg based drink as I would prefer.

Ricky Hatton took the p1ss in between fights.

And he effectively retired at 31, when most professional boxers are just getting going.

Not saying the two are related but you didn't pick the best example.

........... Eggs are the gold standard of rpotein and have been for donkies years, dunno where unhealthy came from?

Eggwina Currie in 88 single handedly decimated the British egg producing industry for years. Egg prices dropped through the floor when she said eggs carried salmonella. However people eventually returned to eating eggs but by then the country had to import them by the train load from european countries.... many of which which have still not adhered to the ban on keeping laying hens in cages. What a stupid keaner she was/is.

Also much advice given in the 70's and 80's was to eat only 1/2 eggs pw because they were thought to raise cholesterol.(.... once that word had been 'invented' and utilised to excess by womens mags and daytime TV.)

Eggwina Currie in 88 single handedly decimated the British egg producing industry for years. Egg prices dropped through the floor when she said eggs carried salmonella. However people eventually returned to eating eggs but by then the country had to import them by the train load from european countries.... many of which which have still not adhered to the ban on keeping laying hens in cages. What a stupid keaner she was/is.

Also much advice given in the 70's and 80's was to eat only 1/2 eggs pw because they were thought to raise cholesterol.(.... once that word had been 'invented' and utilised to excess by womens mags and daytime TV.)

Thanks for that Drog, interesting stuff. Why do we do this in this country, it's almost as if we set out to destroy all we've built??? Anyway what the kean does some amatuer chef know about physiology and why do the sheep all follow?

Without a clear definition of what a 'legend' actually is, everything is a subjective opinion. Adding in numbers in the form of games played doesn't make it objective.

Well personally I'm not that bothered whether they're seen as legends. However I think they should be respected and praised for their accomplishments. I included the number of games because that's an achievement, clocking up 300+ games at the top level of English football means you're a very good player. Or at least that's what it means to the many Rovers managers who've consistently played them and the Rovers owners/chairmen who have consistently renewed their contracts. And as we all know that's included people who are some of the best in the business on both counts. What a legend is may be a fuzzy concept, but a basic requirement to even be considered is making a significant contribution to a club. Pedersen and Dunn qualify on that, the vast majority of total players ever to pull on the blue and white shirt don't. I just feel they should both be shown considerably more respect from fans, as they will by the history books.

Her game pie was fantastic, really tasty, her beef pie was full of flavour, nice gravy. But her hare pie really took some licking.

Nothing wrong with a bit of pie.

Reminds me of when myself and the wife got into drinking wine.

She was quite happy when I got her a bottle of Pinot Grigio, really happy when I got a nice bottle of Shiraz but you should have seen her face when I walked in with a Semillon.

• 3 weeks later...

Although he won't play ever game he still has an important role to play for us this season. If he gets a good preseason behind him I think dunny can have a impact on games even if it's only from the bench. I'm delighted he's apart of the squad next year

• Backroom

Bit daft, but at the same time I think we need a little heart-over-head to try and cheer us up these days. We know he cares about the club and (as mentioned) is taking his coaching badges.

Bryan: Tbf, not all coaches look all that fit. Half of them look like Mr Blobby with a makeover!

Archived