BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Dunn a Blackburn Legend

Gav

our problem last year(and for the last 5 years or so) is keeping possession of the ball, its pointless playing 5 midfielders if there just going to be bypassed(allardyce style) or just lacking the ability to string two passes together(post allardyce style) basically whatever formation you play you need players with ability and the right mentality(if you want to do well)

I agree, our midfield has never recovered from the loss of Tugay. It doesnt help either when our centre halves continually look to lump it forward to an isolated Rhodes, who isnt quick or strong enough to hold up possession

Its a different scenario from the premier league, where you have better teams and setting up for counter attacking works, to gain promotion, you have to be the aggressor and to dominate games, i cannot remember us dominating a game in this manner for a long time.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe not although the ponderous Shittu did....

Jordan Rhodes is a conundrum. His strength is his finishing inside the box ... full stop (not a bad strength to have btw). The weakness with Rhodes is that when he isn't sticking it in the net he simply cannot hold the ball up with the result that clearences just keep on relentlessly coming back at our defence with the predictable and usual inevitable outcome. Once he has scored his goal he may as well come off, get wrapped in cotton wool until his next outing and leave the team to defend that lead with 10 men. That way we should avoid relegation by the skin of our teeth every season.

Good managers realise the value of 'defending from the front' and good managers will not imo pay in the teens of millions for Jordan Rhodes. I've a feeling that if he stays this summer that he will walk away for nowt in 2 years time. Can we afford to effectively keep a championship proven striker who costs us 80k pw?

I can't argue with much of that. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if he was sold.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't argue with much of that. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if he was sold.

Dont dispute the argument but £80k a week??? Wheres that come from ?? Even by our ridiculous standards surely never earning £4mill a year.

But have to agree, given the shortcomings in our team his style doesnt really compliment and you could actually see us having to cash him in if the story of us having 50 plus players on our books is true.FFP eat you heart out.

Still we will be saving a bit on stationery and chairs and paper clips under the astute guidance of Shelfboy .

I would be interested to know the names of that Youth side. I recognised Duff and Taylor but not sure about the others!

From what I can guess

Top Row - Keith Brown (?) (think he was in the squad in Championship last time) James Thomas, ??, Taylor, ??, ??, ??, ??

Bottom row - ??, Dunn, Duff, ??, Damien Johnson, Leam Richardson

From what I can guess

Top Row - Keith Brown (?) (think he was in the squad in Championship last time) James Thomas, ??, Taylor, ??, ??, ??, ??

Bottom row - ??, Dunn, Duff, ??, Damien Johnson, Leam Richardson

Graham Coughlan is bottom left I think. And I'm sure one from that team is Anthony Whealing or something like that, but I dunno which one it is!

So, is Dunny injured? Or are we keeping him in cotton wool until Burnley?

Wouldn't be a bad idea Baz!

Chatting the other night about special moments at Ewood, I put the Dunny goal against that lot last season in my top 5 best moments at Ewood that I could remember.

The feeling of euphoria when the ball hit the back of the net was something special and will take some beating for me. :tu:

Wouldn't be a bad idea Baz!

Chatting the other night about special moments at Ewood, I put the Dunny goal last season in my top 5 best moments at Ewood that I could remember. The feeling of euphoria when the ball hit the back of the net was something special and will take some beating for me.

My best Ewood memory by far! Him kicking down the corner Flag and touting the Burnley supporters while pointing to the badge. Amazing! The immediate reaction all around Ewood where everyone started singlng: DD is blue and white, blue and white - he hates Burnley!

• Backroom

I only have about 12 years of 'moments' to call upon. The only 3 that spring to mind are the Bentley hat-trick vs Utd, BenniMac vs Arsenal and DD vs Burnley. Also (opposition) Henry's goal vs us up their left wing....WOW.

• Backroom

His goal has to be up there for Ewood moments, others being shearers goal on VE Day and Flowers performance in general that night.

As for goals against us ill never forget Le tissiers and the grounds reaction to it and for all the wrong reasons Henning Bergs perfect tackle on Lee Sharpe

Archived