BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Dunn a Blackburn Legend

Gav

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dunny has always had real quality as his goal yesterday showed. Unfortunately he only has 60 mins in him. If he was a racehorse he'd be glue by now. Such a pity that Rochina got hurt as these two could have played the support striker really well between them.

I must say much credit must go to Bowyer for playing him higher up the pitch where he has always been more effective.

Dunny has always had real quality as his goal yesterday showed. Unfortunately he only has 60 mins in him. If he was a racehorse he'd be glue by now. Such a pity that Rochina got hurt as these two could have played the support striker really well between them.

I must say much credit must go to Bowyer for playing him higher up the pitch where he has always been more effective.

To be fair he really did put a shift in whilst he was on the pitch. I can vividly recall him pressurising Bolton players in the old right half position on a few occasions. An hour of Dunn in that form should be enough in this league to do some damage. The key is maintaining that form and fitness.

Yeah, Dunn rolled the clock back with that goal yesterday. That's why it's imperative we stick to this 4-5-1/4-4-1-1 formation. We look a completely different side when there's someone in the pocket supporting Rhodes, be it Dunn or Rochina. Another good thing to come out of yesterday is that Cairney might be able to play that role when Dunn & Rochina are both on the treatment table.

Said in the summer that its worth us giving him a contract every time because when he's fit he's outstanding, definitely our best player. That goal was a thing of beauty, I know Bolton's defending wasn't the best but to take the ball whilst running at full pelt, put 3 opposition players on their backside, and slot past the keeper, takes some doing against anyone. Coming to the boil nicely for Burnley :)

Dunny has always had real quality as his goal yesterday showed. Unfortunately he only has 60 mins in him.

This isn't my main concern, really. Much like Tugay's final couple of seasons, I'll take 60 minutes of quality. We can at least plan for that.

No, my big concern is him staying fit.

Lovely goal yesterday btw.

Dunny on form is a class above Rochina, such a clever player.

Absolutely, Rochina hasn't done anything to even warrant a place in the side, the amount of decent games he's had I can count on one hand.

Potential yes, but he's a long way off a starting place for me.

Absolutely, Rochina hasn't done anything to even warrant a place in the side, the amount of decent games he's had I can count on one hand.

Potential yes, but he's a long way off a starting place for me.

Don't agree with that at all. Rochina certainly deserves a place in the team if Dunn isn't fit. Always looks dangerous and while his final ball is deeply suspect he quite rightly scares the bejeesus out of defenders when driving forward.

I have been one of Dunn's biggest critics on here - and rightly so, in my opinion, with regards to his lifestyle choices and unprofessionalism.

However, in spells yesterday, he was excellent.

Rhodes really benefits from having a man in the hold behind him (that sounded less weird in my head) and if Rochina is injured, Dunn can probably squeeze 45-60 minutes out every other week.

Great, great finish too.

agreed he has a footballing brain, whereas rochina......

... Would do well to lace Dunnys boots.

Total amnesia has set in on this board now. Absolute drivel being spoken about a chap who if he could be arsed, might have even kept us up by denouncing that knob Kean and keeping in shape.

So if Dunn had called Kean a fecking arsehole we'd have stopped up?!? I'm amazed. Dunn will put in an hours worth of quality. End of. That's nowt to do with ale, pies or lifestyle. Fact is he has a bad back which effects his hammys etc.

Bitch and moan with the rest of em. He keeps doing a great job for Rovers. If he had called Kean out he'd have been binned. See Samba, see Givet. He played it canny. Unfortunately that's beyond comprehension for too many people on this supporters forum.

We play the bastrds in 2 weeks. Who've they got who gets it? Bring em on.

Dunn is one of the only players we have that can unlock any defense. He's got a great eye for a pass and something that Rhodes will benefit from. Yes he can only make 60 minutes max but in my eyes in that 60 mins he can create 3-5 decent chances for us.

Dunn is one of the only players we have that can unlock any defense. He's got a great eye for a pass and something that Rhodes will benefit from. Yes he can only make 60 minutes max but in my eyes in that 60 mins he can create 3-5 decent chances for us.

Thats why Bowyer has to be applauded by playing him in the hole and saving his energy for just that purpose.

... Would do well to lace Dunnys boots.

So if Dunn had called Kean a fecking arsehole we'd have stopped up?!? I'm amazed. Dunn will put in an hours worth of quality. End of. That's nowt to do with ale, pies or lifestyle. Fact is he has a bad back which effects his hammys etc.

Bitch and moan with the rest of em. He keeps doing a great job for Rovers. If he had called Kean out he'd have been binned. See Samba, see Givet. He played it canny. Unfortunately that's beyond comprehension for too many people on this supporters forum.

We play the bastrds in 2 weeks. Who've they got who gets it? Bring em on.

You would say that though Bob...I suppose you and pie boy go back a while.... ;)

Maybe Lizard lips might have gone sooner if local hero fat boy wasn't publicly backing him.

You would say that though Bob...I suppose you and pie boy go back a while.... ;)

Maybe Lizard lips might have gone sooner if local hero fat boy wasn't publicly backing him.

You're a bitter individual SM :lol:

Did you go against Barnsley or Bolton?

If Dunn stays fits he can certainly play for 60mins in the hole behind Rhodes and has the quality to do damage. That positions frees him up a little from trying lung busting runs back to cover and battle in midfield meaning he can manage an hour - possibly more. Suspect Bowyer will when he has the option pull him off the pitch after 60mins to try and keep him free of injury. It may prove to be perfect for Dunn - enough to keep his body fit but not too much to over strain it and cause all the injuries he has always had.

Even with being a little slower (mind you he was never fast was he? It was always his skill that caused the opposition problems) he can cause major problems for the opposition to pick him up etc. We also know he can make a telling final ball to Rhodes and score a few. Playing that role we may well see him have a higher goal tally than he has of late. Dunn should get better ball from Cairney and Evans as well. Funny how it takes Bowyer to realise that's where Dunn should play when our recent previous managers didn't seem to ? How many teams in the championship have a player of his skill level? Of course it helps putting in the correct midfielder's behind him so he doesn't try to make to many challenges and push himself to hard with the inevitable injuries following.

When he does start to tire you can get on Evans or Lowe who may lose his place to Evans now Evans is fit and move Cairney forwards or put on Judge.

Notice we now have options even without Rochina. Lowe and Cairney play well together, Evans and Lowe may well work in some games as Evans can pass a little if Cairney needs a rest or we have to be a bit more competitive and physical. Williamson is still to come in.

Suddenly its starting to look like we have a decent midfield - no coincidence that our possession stats have improved substantially (last game against Bolton I think the correct percentage was 57%) Darn sight harder for teams to beat you if you have more of the ball than them. When was the last time a Rovers team consistently had higher possession than the opposition? Even the earlier games in the season it was higher just we made some really stupid individual errors or mistakes - we could and really should have got more points out of those games. Perhaps as we gel more and get increasingly sharper those errors may reduce (you will always get some with a young team).

(I am NOT comparing this to SAM and how he set us up when we were in the Prem - even if you have higher possession teams in the Prem had the ability to beat you - Sam proved that but in the championship I do believe that teams don't quite have the quality so if you do have higher percentage possession with enough players of quality to create and take chances then you more often or not should come out with the points)

Last year we had Rhodes scoring goals for fun but our team and midfield never controlled games or had enough of the ball so we were always going to concede enough goals to never win enough games. If you can get Rhodes scoring that number again or more but control games to a higher extent which we seem to be doing, inevitably you will end up with more points. Encouraging that other players seem to be contributing with goals as well - but that is no coincidence either as we seem to now have more players who can strike a ball well - certainly for the championship.

Just looks decent that we already have such a high percentage of possession with such a new team who are still learning to play alongside each other and Bowyer is still learning what the best combination of players is. There are not that many teams in the championship who have overhauled their first team, especially midfield and squad as much as Rovers this season.

Will it be enough for playoffs or more - too early to tell. Long season - injuries play huge role for all the teams (mind you having a young team might help - even then we have at times already had high numbers injured). Never mind being such a competitive league. At least Im more confident now we wont be looking over our shoulders worrying about relegation.

Im sure it can very easily come crashing around our ears especially with our owners (always living on a knife edge with them) but my confidence in Bowyer is growing. Did well last year under extreme circumstances. Spotted the issues with the team that we all could see and has tried to address them. Is obviously trying to create a balanced squad all be it a very young one that copes better with injuries and the tough nature of the championship.

Simply in my mind we are now a competitive team in this league and its going to be fun to see just how competitive we end up being.

(with this post I am talking about the playing side including the manager and his coaches of our club NOT about how we are run and the rest of it - if only we would see the same professionalism there as well)

Magnificent performance from Dunn on Saturday, arguably his best since rejoined the Club. I've never seen him charge about as much and It looked to me as though GB had instructed him to just give us 60 minutes at absolutely full pelt and it worked like a dream on the day as he was hauled off after 57 mins seemingly with plenty still left in the tank.

How long Dunny can keep that up for is anyone's guess and long term I think Rochina will be a top top player somewhere if he can iron out the wrinkles in his game. Hopefully for us if he can be persuaded to stay.

Short term though any Club should be pleased to have Dunn as part of the squad if he remains fit and playing like that .

Magnificent performance from Dunn on Saturday, arguably his best since rejoined the Club. I've never seen him charge about as much and It looked to me as though GB had instructed him to just give us 60 minutes at absolutely full pelt and it worked like a dream on the day as he was hauled off after 57 mins seemingly with plenty still left in the tank.

How long Dunny can keep that up for is anyone's guess.

Not long I wouldn't think. He was having injections in his knees before the game.

I hope this is not correct unless Dunn wants to end up like Tommy Smith.

That's what he said on radio rovers straight after the game last Sat. (I don't think he was having them minutes before the game, but in the days prior to it. Still, injections in the knee are just that.)

Archived