BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Dunn a Blackburn Legend

Gav

If I was as 'fat' as Dunny the mrs wouldn't keep her hands off me. Worth another contract on the basis that he is the most gifted midfielder we have and we certainly wont be signing any better players in the summer.

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pay. As. You. Play.

Seems fair to me.

Where else is he going to get a 12 month deal?

The only fly in the ointment is that when the money dries up we won't be able to field him at all. (Opa Salgado Style).

• Backroom

Not exactly. Players tend to get a lower base rate in exchange for a higher rate as and when they play, so it's not so much pay as you play as having a lower standard wage and a higher appearance fee.

Dun being overweight is a load of old guff. Quite a few of us have seen him about since he broke into the first team and it was always @#/?.

Even in his current elder statesman days he's looks cut article-2296629-18BCC43B000005DC-53_468x.

I'd be gutted to look like that.

Injury proneness did for his top end career like it has done for others (Redknapp springs to mind). Other than that he could have been great.

Not sure what your point is Topman, so he never went to a big club? so what? That doesn't mean he shouldn't get a new contract??

We were talking about Dunn's professionalism, or lack thereof.

Is Was he a game changer? Is Was he the best player we have in midfield on his day? Does he give a damn? Can he stay fit?

No? Well then @#/? him off then. This regime will find better. They're ace.

It's not about @#/? him off. Just don't chuck money away that we don't have.

If he loves the club and believes in his own ability then he should accept a PAYP deal. As it is he could sign a new 12 month deal without caveats and break down the following day. He needs to "get real". I appreciate you think he has been loyal (Big Club spell aside) but you don't give people £20k-£30k per week through sentiment.

Much like Pedersen a couple of years ago he's been playing for a new contract. We all know how quickly Pedersen's form went to @#/? almost before the ink was dry.

I'd be saying this even if the Trust were in charge, by they way. Even more so.

ok..what unprofessionalism do you accuse him of ? he has put the fat stuff to bed.(present day ,unproffesionalism )

proof as well .

I used to see him out drinking in Accy on a Sunday night. Only Rovers player I've seen out on the lash.

Imagine the player he could have been without the distractions earlier in his career. Ironically, it's probably the main reason he stayed so long.

We were talking about Dunn's professionalism, or lack thereof.

What you're actually talking about, without saying so,is Souness! Dunn had the temerity to stand up to your hero who's man- management skills were woeful and who was taking us down until Newcastle saved us.

He's never been forgiven for that but Souness has for driving him away. I acknowledge Souness as a truly great player, the hardest I've ever seen,but a terrible manager. Ask Liverpool and Newcastle fans! He got us promoted and we won the Worthington Cup but he could not sustain success because his methods and his approach belonged in another era, if at all.

We've had this discussion on here loads of times and I can predict the responses. As for Dunny, good on him, a true Rovers legend and a great local lad.

Souness a terrible manager? Even by Rovers recent standards? Sheesh.

Souness' problems were player mutiny instead of knuckling down.

If Dunn had listened to Souness he might have got more than one England cap.

Liverpool still recovering from the Souness years. Have a look at the side we were putting out when Souness left. Pitiful. Crap job at Newcastle, a real manager in Mark Hughes saved us etc etc. We've had this argument loads of times so am ignoring the expected flack from now on.

Just saying, there are people on here who have never forgiven Dunn for standing up to Souness and have never given him a break since. Perhaps you haven't got that historical perspective? Don't remember you being around then?

Ah so I'm a glory hunter from the post-Souness years. Obviously.

Don't be a smartass, trying to duck the issue. You do realise that life does exist outside of this messageboard? (As my wife keeps saying to me :blush: ).

Souness is/was a better manager than Hughes. There I've said it.

Don't be a smartass, trying to duck the issue. You do realise that life does exist outside of this messageboard? (As my wife keeps saying to me :blush: ).

Agree..Souey got us promoted, worthy cup and Tugay.....Hughes just got us a reputation

I did cartwheels when Souness left us. I mourned when Hughes did, but its all a matter of opinion so fair enough.

I see we joined this Board at the same time so apologies for that.

However, I think I realise there's life outside of this Message Board better than you judging by the enormous difference in the number of posts!

I'd listen to your wife if I were you! :goal:

David Dunn still the best footballer on the books ...

As for the argument about Hughes and Souness , wish either of them was our manager now ! !

Well I agree with that. Souness I see as an impact manager, good for a few months ( though he couldn't even do that at St James).

Anyway this is a thread about Dunn and I'm saying Souness is a major reason why certain people don't like him.

Dunn is best in the final third of the pitch but is not really a proper central midfielder - though he does try at least. His best seasons were the first three in the first team when we were a very attacking team and 09/10 when he was given a free role behind the striker. If we become a proper attacking team again he could be a useful asset but this requires the whole midfield balance to be changed.

A pay as you play contract would be the best solution here as he won't play 30 games a season again nevermind the 46 games the Championship requires.

I used to see him out drinking in Accy on a Sunday night. Only Rovers player I've seen out on the lash.

I'd much rather they throw money at someone thats given 21yrs service to the club than managers that aren't up to the job and get sacked after 2 months.

As for drinking out in Accy, that maybe so, but he certainly didn't do half the stuff he's been accused of. I spent a few years in his circle early 2000's and I can say hand on heart I never saw him drunk, in fact I'd almost go as far as to say I hardly ever saw him drinking anything other than orange juice.

Souness did a great job in his early days here but gradually lost the plot as time went by. If Newcastle hadn't have come in for him he would have either been sacked or taken us down. He was obviously the sort of old school manager whose methods just won't work now unfortunately. Even the sort of dross wearing the shirts at Ewood at present only need a few seasons to become millionaires. They can just do as they please then, the manager hasn't really got any sanctions. Even on basic wages they'll still be loaded.

The ones with ability, desire and commitment gravitate to the bigger clubs and we are left with the rubbish.

As for drinking out in Accy, that maybe so, but he certainly didn't do half the stuff he's been accused of. I spent a few years in his circle early 2000's and I can say hand on heart I never saw him drunk, in fact I'd almost go as far as to say I hardly ever saw him drinking anything other than orange juice.

Wasn't Dunn livin' it up at bars and clubs around the time he was dating that Jakki Degg bird? There's even a quote from the guy admitting he enjoys going out and having a drink (but not to excess, apparently):

"Old players go on about how much they used to get p****d the night before a match.

"I like to go out and have a drink but if you were drinking every night these days it would catch up with you."

I don't deny that Souness was a confrontational bugger, and that was ultimately his undoing here, but that doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't right on this one.

If he loves the club and believes in his own ability then he should accept a PAYP deal. As it is he could sign a new 12 month deal without caveats and break down the following day. He needs to "get real". I appreciate you think he has been loyal (Big Club spell aside) but you don't give people £20k-£30k per week through sentiment.

Much like Pedersen a couple of years ago he's been playing for a new contract. We all know how quickly Pedersen's form went to @#/? almost before the ink was dry.

I'd be saying this even if the Trust were in charge, by they way. Even more so.

Imagine the player he could have been without the distractions earlier in his career. Ironically, it's probably the main reason he stayed so long.

Only one ? Yea right ok .

Wasn't Dunn livin' it up at bars and clubs around the time he was dating that Jakki Degg bird? There's even a quote from the guy admitting he enjoys going out and having a drink (but not to excess, apparently):

"Old players go on about how much they used to get p****d the night before a match.

"I like to go out and have a drink but if you were drinking every night these days it would catch up with you."

I don't deny that Souness was a confrontational bugger, and that was ultimately his undoing here, but that doesn't necessarily mean he wasn't right on this one.

He was a young lad and liked a beer, its not a crime FFS and has no bearing on the fact he deserves a new deal.

You shouldn't beleive everything you read either Topman.

Archived