BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] David Dunn a Blackburn Legend

Gav

• Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's disappointing to see people not wanting Dunn to be offered a new contract. If not for his football ability, then surely his passion for the club in these severely dark times is something we need more than ever. Having him at the club keeps the club alive in the respect that we are still Blackburn Rovers. Not a Pune infested disgrace of a club that we have turned into. He is very much the last of the legacy that John Williams, Tom Fin etc worked so hard to build and for that reason I would keep him.

Not forgetting his fantastic ability, he's our best midfielder hands down. Most of our midfielders struggle to pass a ball properly i.e Lowe, Pedersen and even Murphy. He might be 33 but if it wasn't for him we would have lost to Burnley. Show the man some respect.

It's disappointing to see people not wanting Dunn to be offered a new contract. If not for his football ability, then surely his passion for the club in these severely dark times is something we need more than ever. Having him at the club keeps the club alive in the respect that we are still Blackburn Rovers. Not a Pune infested disgrace of a club that we have turned into. He is very much the last of the legacy that John Williams, Tom Fin etc worked so hard to build and for that reason I would keep him.

Not forgetting his fantastic ability, he's our best midfielder hands down. Most of our midfielders struggle to pass a ball properly i.e Lowe, Pedersen and even Murphy. He might be 33 but if it wasn't for him we would have lost to Burnley. Show the man some respect.

It's not just a question of ability, we could sign Messi or Ronaldo but they'd be no use to us if they were sat in the treatment room all season.

On ability alone, Dunny's still got a certain amount of natural talent but is a pale shadow of the player he was before he was sold to Birmingham imo.

For those reasons the decision as to whether to offer him a new contract is a marginal call rather than a no brainer for me.

I bet there are some on here who would have given Tugay an extra deal.

Even great players' careers come to an end - even if they think they still have something to offer.

Tell you what, if we end up in League One next year, lets give him an extra year at League One average wage.

If we stay up, it's a player coaching role with a coach's basic wage and a reasonable bonus if he plays.

Best I can do for you, Dunny lad. You've been a great servant to the club. If you get a better offer, all the best to you. If you don't fancy this, we'll gladly have you as a club ambassador, no hard feelings.

It's disappointing to see people not wanting Dunn to be offered a new contract. If not for his football ability, then surely his passion for the club in these severely dark times is something we need more than ever.

Where was this passion for the club when he decided that siding with Kean and telling fans to 'get real' was more important than the long-term wellbeing of the club...?

Did a lot of damage with that interview and it's nobodies fault but his own.

The one thing you can say about Dunny is he is always willing to receive the ball. That is an extremely rare commodity in Rovers ranks nowadays. One of our downfalls over the last 3 years has been the players are frightened to get on the ball and make things happen. Even when we're under the kosh you need players who are willing to try and keep the ball and relieve the pressure. Dunn is on his last legs but i think his courage in this regard is still worth hanging on to.

Like it or not, the fan unrest (which is perfectly understandable and resonable) has contributed to the players underperforming at home. It is not the best environment to play football and too many of our good young players have used that excuse to go missing during home matches. As i say, the resons behind it are pure desperation and entirely justified from the fans point of view. But for the players to change that mindset they need to see leaders amongst them who have the courage to play football rather than pass the buck. Dunn, for all his faults will do that. On Friday it didn't always happen for him. He will have games like that. But there will be other times when the reverse can be said. Rochina also had a similar effect, but in this division he didn't match that desire to use the ball with the desire to win the ball back. Thus imo he became a luxury all too often. Dunn might have a bad day with the ball at his feet, but you can pretty much guarantee he'll put a shift in in terms of his defensive duties. I'd be happy to see him given another year at Rovers. Ideally on a structured deal linked to appearances. Just having him around the place could be important. Sadly i would wager he is already fixed up elsewhere and will move on for a final payday.

You've been reading the papers too much, PV.

Aside for the organised protests (games we won), and the reaction to the Wigan game - the last straw being relegation - there has been little visible/audible fan unrest, particularly this season. The Ewood crowds have been subdued, if anything. The most visible 'protest' all season was the second coming of the chicken against Bumley.

Don't let they anger and frustration of this mb cloud things. The Ewood Park crowd has been largely apathetic - rare goal celebrations aside - and looks like a fanbase that has had it's heart ripped out. The only thing a young player has to worry about is the football - there really is very little in the way if fan unrest. About the closest is the reaction to (captain) Danny Murphy's lack of motivation on the pitch but even Orr hasn't had any real grief.

You've been reading the papers too much, PV.

Aside for the organised protests (games we won), and the reaction to the Wigan game - the last straw being relegation - there has been little visible/audible fan unrest, particularly this season. The Ewood crowds have been subdued, if anything. The most visible 'protest' all season was the second coming of the chicken against Bumley.

Don't let they anger and frustration of this mb cloud things. The Ewood Park crowd has been largely apathetic - rare goal celebrations aside - and looks like a fanbase that has had it's heart ripped out. The only thing a young player has to worry about is the football - there really is very little in the way if fan unrest. About the closest is the reaction to (captain) Danny Murphy's lack of motivation on the pitch but even Orr hasn't had any real grief.

Not at all Stu. The subdued atmosphere is just a part of the process. The anger has subsided and now there seems to be an expectation of failure. Again, i stress, i fully appreciate why. What has the fan base got to be positive about anyway?

The atmosphere might not be toxic or poisonous as some quarters have suggested in the past, but patience is minimal. Sadly the young lads who are in the squad now are still playing football at Ewood with the knowledge that the place is unhappy - on its knees. Half empty at best and that in itself won't produce the necessary environment to roar the side on when they are either up against it or looking to go for the kill.

Everyone appreciates the club is in one hell of a rut. The players need lifiting, but more importantly the fans need lifiting too. Until we have a side containing some players willing and capable of demanding the ball and trying to play, the situation won't improve. The players need to take responsibility and people like Dunn lead by example in this regard. I look at players like Martin Ollson and wonder how they aren't ripping it up in this division. I can only assume that the lad is devoid of any confidence. I'm afraid the fans can't lift the players and the players don't seem to be able to lift the fans. I mentioned in another thread that the comeback from where we are to where we want to be could take a decade or more. And it is for this reason that i think that. People like Dunny will always look to get on the ball and make something happen and i hope that he demands this from other players. If one part of the process improves the other will follow. I can't see how the fan base can be roused and more people enticed back until the side start to look like dominating visiting sides. And that won't happen while half the side take no responsibility and go missing.

The atmosphere might not be hate filled anymore, but it is certainly gloomy. I haven't checked the statistics, but i would wager our better performances and results this season have come away from home and that tell it's own story.

But what can we do PV? Ignore what they are doing and cheer along?

Even when the main protest group - the most staunch in wanting Venkys out - tried to appeal for people to support the team and were told to get lost. They seem to have taken that a bit too literally.

In any case, it's too late for that. The gloom extends far beyond this mb, the majority of the matchday crowds don't read this board and they can't see much to be cheerful about, except the odd goal.

Only Venkys can lift the mood now. They do that by bringing in a proper football chairman and a proper manager.

If they really have money and intend to use it then it shouldn't be a problem. If they haven't got the money then no amount of "getting behind the lads" will change what happens next.

As i say Stu, supporters are entirely justified in every action they have taken. That point i would never debate.

But the fans need a lift and aside from the actions we hope Venky's may take (however unlikely), the only way to do that is by better performance on the pitch. If we can get better at the actual business of playing football, then the crowd will respond. The only way i can see that happening is via the introduction of some leadership on the pitch. That comes in two types. Those who can rally the side and those who lead by example. If having Dunny at the club and him showing other players how to be brave, demand the football and make things happen then it is worth it imo. It isn't even a case of differing footballing styles we're talking about here. I'm not saying we have to play a pretty brand of possession football to win the crowds favour. Allardyce had Diouf who kept the ball equally well. IMO every side needs players who can keep the ball and occassionally use it to good effect. Without that you're in big trouble.

The way we're doing it at the moment is neither yeilding much in terms of points or lifting a crowd at their whits end. Hoofing balls up to Rhodes won't cut it. We need to retain possession better than we have done. Dunn has it in his locker to do that and despite his crock status, i think he offers something nobody else in the squad has.

We aren't going to get on-field improvements until we have off-field improvements.

The leadership you talk about needs to come from a strong board and a strong manager, followed by a strong captain and strong characters on the pitch. In that order.

Get it the other way around and you have anarchy. Or in football terms: a set of individuals, not a team.

Once we have that, we can get back to worrying about the football. People really didn't realise how good we had it under Williams-Allardyce. Some still don't.

If we could have just replaced the uninterested Walker Trust with a keen (rather than Kean) Venkys, things could have been so different. Although when you look at how QPR are doing, maybe it really is a cultural thing?

Can't disagree that we need an improved off field structure. I think you'd be hard pushed to find anyone who would disagree. But it doesn't look like happening anytime soon.

However, we have seemingly just canned a manager who seemed to identify some of the problems at the club. If not rectify them. But then i guess 3 years of neglect can't be patched up in 67 days.

However, despite the ongoing off field madness, i can't just give up. Write off every match day because we're run by buffoons. I still want to see individuals in the side capable of changing a game in our favour and attempting to do so. That is what football is for me. It is all about matchdays. I want to see my side be competetive regardless of the next loony decision being schemed in the back ground.

But yes, barring a miraculous discovery of a brain cell in the Rao bungalow it would seem we will continue to see results and attendances decline alarmingly.

As i say Stu, supporters are entirely justified in every action they have taken. That point i would never debate.

But the fans need a lift and aside from the actions we hope Venky's may take (however unlikely), the only way to do that is by better performance on the pitch. If we can get better at the actual business of playing football, then the crowd will respond. The only way i can see that happening is via the introduction of some leadership on the pitch. That comes in two types. Those who can rally the side and those who lead by example. If having Dunny at the club and him showing other players how to be brave, demand the football and make things happen then it is worth it imo. It isn't even a case of differing footballing styles we're talking about here. I'm not saying we have to play a pretty brand of possession football to win the crowds favour. Allardyce had Diouf who kept the ball equally well. IMO every side needs players who can keep the ball and occassionally use it to good effect. Without that you're in big trouble.

The way we're doing it at the moment is neither yeilding much in terms of points or lifting a crowd at their whits end. Hoofing balls up to Rhodes won't cut it. We need to retain possession better than we have done. Dunn has it in his locker to do that and despite his crock status, i think he offers something nobody else in the squad has.

We are suffering from a lack of leadership, though out the club we only have followers and no leaders.

On the pitch players come in two groups - 1) the ones who roll their sleeves up and get you into a game ( Shearer, Batty, Hendry etc ) and- 2) the ones who will begin to dominate the opposition once group 1) have got you into the game. ( Sherwood, Bohinen, Berkovic etc ). Our problem is we don't have any real group 1) players. Dunny's trying to be one but it's not his natural game.

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2013-04-01/david-dunn-blackburn-could-show-me-a-bit-of-respect/?

David Dunn has called on the Blackburn hierarchy to show him some respect and tell him whether he will still be at Ewood Park next season.

The 33-year-old's present contract is due to expire in the summer.

Not only has there been no word over an extension, such is the chaos at Ewood Park, Dunn does not even know who to ask about one.

As a life-long supporter I am no longer getting upset about ANYTHING that happens at ewood/brockhall/pune.

Along with maybe 5,000 others (max) I will get my Season Ticket next year.

We just have to sit it out until the catastrophe is over(Admin,League 1, etc etc)

The Club I have been proud to support all these years will have to go down several notches now. Dunny, you can have a new Contract BUT its 5,000 per week(still bloody 250k a year). Surely he can manage on that?

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2013-04-01/david-dunn-blackburn-could-show-me-a-bit-of-respect/?

David Dunn has called on the Blackburn hierarchy to show him some respect and tell him whether he will still be at Ewood Park next season.

The 33-year-old's present contract is due to expire in the summer.

Not only has there been no word over an extension, such is the chaos at Ewood Park, Dunn does not even know who to ask about one.

Got a lot of sympathy with what he says, despite what he's said in the past. Whether you're a long serving player or not, with only a couple of months left on a contract I'd hope there wouid be someone at the club who he could have a meaningful conversation with. He's commenting on the ridiculous state of the club as much as anything.

• Backroom

The thing is a new manager may want to keep him around but won't come in until his contract expires possibly

Which may mean the clown is in charge of contracts in the meantime

• Backroom

If they were all up for renewal who would deserve to be kept on?

Off the top of my head I can only think of Jake Kean, Henley and Rhodes. The rest either aren't good enough, are only on loan or don't have any pride in their performances. You could possibly make a case for Dannley even though I think both of them have been very much overrated as of late.

Best quotes from Dunn in that piece. "The owners are forking out needless amounts of money"

Has anyone worked out how much money Venky's have wasted in sacking / paying off 1) Sam and his staff; 2) Berg and his staff; 3) Appleton and his staff 4) Other administrators etc ?

I think Dunn is sore about Appleton being sacked who might have given him a new contract.

In his post match interview after the Burnley game Appleton said he'd been joking with Dunny during the team building night or nights away they'd had about him getting a new contract. You sort of got the impression he (MA) was in favour.

Can't see what Dunny's problem is really. I assume his contract runs until July 1st. as is the norm. Only the new manager can properly make the decision on a new contract. The new manager will either want him or he won't. As long as it's sorted out one way or the other before then, no problem.

Even if it isn't sorted out by the time his contract expires he then becomes a free agent and he and his agent are completely at liberty to either sort himself out immediately with something else or risk waiting until the manager is appointed. Until then he gets paid by us whether he is in or out of favour. There's a lot of people in the world a lot worse off.

The Club I have been proud to support all these years will have to go down several notches now. Dunny, you can have a new Contract BUT its 5,000 per week(still bloody 250k a year). Surely he can manage on that?

Got to be based on availability, performance and minutes on the pitch.

I think Dunn is sore about Appleton being sacked who might have given him a new contract.

In his post match interview after the Burnley game Appleton said he'd been joking with Dunny during the team building night or nights away they'd had about him getting a new contract. You sort of got the impression he (MA) was in favour.

Can't see what Dunny's problem is really. I assume his contract runs until July 1st. as is the norm. Only the new manager can properly make the decision on a new contract. The new manager will either want him or he won't. As long as it's sorted out one way or the other before then, no problem.

Even if it isn't sorted out by the time his contract expires he then becomes a free agent and he and his agent are completely at liberty to either sort himself out immediately with something else or risk waiting until the manager is appointed. Until then he gets paid by us whether he is in or out of favour. There's a lot of people in the world a lot worse off.

Dunny is just thinking with a long head and striking whilst the iron is hot. We have seen all this before a few years back rem?

Archived