BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Chris Taylor - Set to sign

I asked you to provide a supporting case as to why the Venkys should continue as owners of the Rovers.

Whilst being a key issue, it is not the only one.

So, again, why should the Venkys continue as the Rovers owners?

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're speaking in black-and-white though. Are you really blaming Williamson for us being in the bottom half of the Championship? Do you not remember Berg, Appleton or anything else? Rickie Lambert? Sneichderlin? (sp?) They've only just played in the top division. Is Nicky Shorey a top division player? Rob Green?

There's numerous exceptions to your rules that make little sense anyway.

So we're not allowed opinions on players? Keith Andrews was poor but Trappatoni rated him so it's obvious that everyone except Jonnolad knows sweet f a about football?

Actually someone on this messageboard has seen him regularly, see roverstdt's post above. It arguably dispels your argument, along with the Millwall fans comments. Not considering the fact he might not be good for us.

I can't remember who, it was a Scandinavian poster, Greco perhaps? but he rightly talked about having solid grafters in your team that allow the quality players to thrive. The Darren Fletcher's and James Milner's of this world. This initially seemed like one of those, a decent hardworking winger who will get balls into the box. Hardworking in the sense that they can do important defensive work while also contributing in an attacking sense, something your Norwegian mate no longer does.

But the aforementioned post speaks very highly of him, so he could be a lot more than that. We need players like Williamson as a platform for the quality that we had/have in our squad to properly thrive - Kazim, Rhodes, Martin Olsson, Rochina.

But you do need the "unprettier" (if that's a word, probably not) players in the team to do the dirty work.

Yes I remember Berg and Appleton very well. I remember being in a minority on here who told the majority from the very start that they were gonna be rubbish. You're talking there about players who are with clubs who've just been promoted. Southampton for example have very different targets in the Premiership than what we have in the Championship. If all we wanted to do and all we could do was survive then I'd say fine, sign players like Taylor. But surely we want, and have, to be promoted, this is our very last chance coming up.

They're not my rules, they're common sense. Fans have this wonderful ability to inflate their own amateur opinions to a level where they seem to think they know better than professional managers and scouts who work in the game. Keith Andrews isn't poor for the level he plays at, as you've just said Trappatoni rates him, any fan who thinks they know better than one of the greatest Italian managers of all time is delusional. The fact that many fans have that opinion doesn't change how delusional it is. Many people thought they knew better than medical experts when they didn't get their kids vaccinated for measles, and they were all talking rubbish together.

Maybe roverstdt is right, I hope he is. But one guy's opinion doesn't dispell my argument, and neither does the Millwall fans who are clearly biased. Every Rovers fan would have told Chelsea fans Chris Sutton was great, or told City fans Santa Cruz was, or Spurs fans Bentley was etc. And I've lost count of the number of people on here a few months ago who'd spoken to Blackpool fans who thought Appleton was great.

I agree we need grafters, but there's still high, medium and low quality grafters. We keep signing medium ones for this league, and the fans keep being chuffed about it. Its blind optimism based on desperation.

I asked you to provide a supporting case as to why the Venkys should continue as owners of the Rovers.

Whilst being a key issue, it is not the only one.

So, again, why should the Venkys continue as the Rovers owners?

because they have financial clout necessery for us and a will to succeed.

Yes I remember Berg and Appleton very well. I remember being in a minority on here who told the majority from the very start that they were gonna be rubbish. You're talking there about players who are with clubs who've just been promoted. Southampton for example have very different targets in the Premiership than what we have in the Championship. If all we wanted to do and all we could do was survive then I'd say fine, sign players like Taylor. But surely we want, and have, to be promoted, this is our very last chance coming up.

They're not my rules, they're common sense. Fans have this wonderful ability to inflate their own amateur opinions to a level where they seem to think they know better than professional managers and scouts who work in the game. Keith Andrews isn't poor for the level he plays at, as you've just said Trappatoni rates him, any fan who thinks they know better than one of the greatest Italian managers of all time is delusional. The fact that many fans have that opinion doesn't change how delusional it is. Many people thought they knew better than medical experts when they didn't get their kids vaccinated for measles, and they were all talking rubbish together.

Maybe roverstdt is right, I hope he is. But one guy's opinion doesn't dispell my argument, and neither does the Millwall fans who are clearly biased. Every Rovers fan would have told Chelsea fans Chris Sutton was great, or told City fans Santa Cruz was, or Spurs fans Bentley was etc. And I've lost count of the number of people on here a few months ago who'd spoken to Blackpool fans who thought Appleton was great.

I agree we need grafters, but there's still high, medium and low quality grafters. We keep signing medium ones for this league, and the fans keep being chuffed about it. Its blind optimism based on desperation.

who would be an acceptable signing in your book? where should we sign players from?

To succeed in what?

knitting? archery? fancy dress costume making? what do you think..

because they have financial clout necessery for us

This I agree with - Unfortunately rock and a hard place as far as I can see. Sure, we can call for them to leave until we're blue in the face, but ultimately, without them we would slide into oblivion.

This is the sorry state that professional football finds itself in these days. Every time a club is sold it walks a tightrope, hoping upon hope that the owners are genuine and do not walk away a'la Pompey.

Way I see it we have two options. 1) Hope Venkys are genuinely well intentioned having been led a merry dance, and are now cleansing the club in the hope that they can restore some degree of pride. 2) Celebrate their leaving of the club and stumble towards oblivion Portsmouth style.

Number 2 would of course involve the Trust somewhere, but how on earth could they run this football club on the available resources?

who would be an acceptable signing in your book? where should we sign players from?

knitting? archery? fancy dress costume making? what do you think..

There's absolutely nothing to connect them with winning football so perhaps you've hit on it.

This I agree with - Unfortunately rock and a hard place as far as I can see. Sure, we can call for them to leave until we're blue in the face, but ultimately, without them we would slide into oblivion.

This is the sorry state that professional football finds itself in these days. Every time a club is sold it walks a tightrope, hoping upon hope that the owners are genuine and do not walk away a'la Pompey.

Way I see it we have two options. 1) Hope Venkys are genuinely well intentioned having been led a merry dance, and are now cleansing the club in the hope that they can restore some degree of pride. 2) Celebrate their leaving of the club and stumble towards oblivion Portsmouth style.

Number 2 would of course involve the Trust somewhere, but how on earth could they run this football club on the available resources?

Or Number 3, do a Swansea.

i`d also add that just because somebody is local, what makes people think they`d be any good at running a football club? as far as i know non of the the members of the trust have any more experience of doing so than any of the venky`s..

i`m a fan, am local and care about the club massively, but i wouldn`t have the first clue of how to run it.

If we want to get promoted we should be signing fringe PL players, good players in this league or excellent players in the league below. Look at Cardiff's 11 last season:

1. Marshall - 5 years at Celtic

2. Connolly - Championship title with QPR

3. Taylor - 4 years in the Prem with Middlesbrough

4. Hudson - Nothing special

5. Turner - England under 19 cap

6. Whittingham - 5 years in the Prem with Villa

7. Conway - 3 caps for Scotland (arguably nothing special)

8. Gunnarson - 34 caps for Iceland

9. Bellamy - Awesome

10. Helguson - Prem player with Watford, Fulham, Bolton and QPR.

11. Noone - Nothing special

Thats probably the worst team to win the Championship in years and it still had 7 players in it who you could class as being of PL standard before the season started. Thats what we need. As I say I hope Taylor proves me wrong and does the business, but I'm very worried that we're shopping at a level below where we need to be. Of course this is all assuming the aim is promotion next season, maybe I just need to start getting used to the idea that it might not be.

Guest Norbert

Do they have the clout? A lot of their money is probably tied up in their many assets relating to their core business. And will to succeed? Don't make me lauigh. If they had any will to succeed, they'd have kept Williams and Finn, not brought in the likes of Shebby and Shagnew, appointed Kean......and all the rest of it. They may have wanted to do well, but they are such cretinous morons, and only keep on the bad staff.

They have a will to back the wrong people, ignore sensible advice and generally look like idiots.

If we want to get promoted we should be signing fringe PL players, good players in this league or excellent players in the league below. Look at Cardiff's 11 last season:

9. Bellamy - Awesome

Thats probably the worst team to win the Championship in years and it still had 7 players in it who you could class as being of PL standard before the season started. Thats what we need. As I say I hope Taylor proves me wrong and does the business, but I'm very worried that we're shopping at a level below where we need to be. Of course this is all assuming the aim is promotion next season, maybe I just need to start getting used to the idea that it might not be.

You are stretching things very thin there SKH. One player out of that lot for me is current top flight quality and you could easily see Chris Taylor in that team, Hull's, or Palace's.

There's absolutely nothing to connect them with winning football so perhaps you've hit on it.

if it really was that simple, why aren`t there many other swansea`s about in the game? possibly because it`s rare that it works maybe..?

Would it be too onerous to ask for supporting evidence?

To date they have proven to be totally incompetant, yes, they have provided money, but whose money is it?

They run a poultry business in India, they don't run that like the Rovers is run, do they?

Proof? One makes money, the other bleeds it.

Now, back up your statement with "reasonably" proven facts that they are ; 1. in control 2. providing the "financial clout", and 3. have a will to succeed.

An approach that intrigues me. I think I will have to do some investigation into the Swansea structure - Quite how they do it is beyond me. They must have a few heavy hitters somewhere that put the money in? Or do they stretch the TV revenue? Interesting.

9. Bellamy - Awesome

our squad is no worse than that, the only differance is stability and good management, fact.

Would it be too onerous to ask for supporting evidence?

To date they have proven to be totally incompetant, yes, they have provided money, but whose money is it?

They run a poultry business in India, they don't run that like the Rovers is run, do they?

Proof? One makes money, the other bleeds it.

Now, back up your statement with "reasonably" proven facts that they are ; 1. in control 2. providing the "financial clout", and 3. have a will to succeed.

1. they own the club, hence are in control

2. they have backed every manager bringing in the players they wanted, there is no evidence that they have done this `on tap` whatsoever

3. they are still here and show no sign of changing their goals of succeeding in the game, either at rovers or with their own acadamy plan in india

if it really was that simple, why aren`t there many other Swanseas. about in the game? possibly because it`s rare that it works maybe..?

Because in England this development in in its infancy. Which clubs do you know of which have attempted to develop in this way and have failed?

And your Number One above is a hoot given the recent court case and THEIR OWN SUBMISSIONS!!!!

I'm beginning to think you are on a wind-up because its difficult to credit that you actually believe the stuff you are writing.

Something unachievable with Venky's and friends in charge.

statement of opinion, not proven fact. if venky`s give up and leave, then you`ll be proven right, but you aren`t yet.

Because in England this development in in its infancy. Which clubs do you know of which have attempted to develop in this way and have failed?

And your Number One above is a hoot given the recent court case and THEIR OWN SUBMISSIONS!!!!

no, because it generally doesn`t work, especially at a club with a small fan base, paying reduced rate prices to attend at all, like rovers.

Guest Norbert

I could have the will to play in the world cup, but I would be deluding myself as Steven Hawking can play football better than me. You can say they want to succeed all you like Saxoman, but the fact is they're complete fools who could not find their bum with both hands, and therefore will drag the club down even further than they have already.

I could have the will to play in the world cup, but I would be deluding myself as Steven Hawking can play football better than me. You can say they want to succeed all you like Saxoman, but the fact is they're complete fools who could not find their bum with both hands, and therefore will drag the club down even further than they have already.

they have been complete fools, but they aren`t fools. all i`m reading from detractors on here is heresay after heresay, not proven fact.

1. they own the club, hence are in control

2. they have backed every manager bringing in the players they wanted, there is no evidence that they have done this `on tap` whatsoever

3. they are still here and show no sign of changing their goals of succeeding in the game, either at rovers or with their own acadamy plan in india

1. They own the club, but they have stated in court they are not in control.

2. They backed Kean, even though he was the pits and got the club relegated.

They Backed Berg for 57 days, they backed Appleton for 67 days.

3. They are still here (That's the problem) and one would ask why. Why continue to pour money into a bottomless pit when everything is obviously going tits up? I doubt their poultry business could sustain the (apparent) losses of BRFC for long.

TBH, I can't see why you are supporting an abysmal set of owners. Their ownership has shown nothing but contemp for the supporters, contempt for the administration, and contempt for some of the (previous) senior playing staff.

To me, they are a front for something more sinister happening.

1. They own the club, but they have stated in court they are not in control.

2. They backed Kean, even though he was the pits and got the club relegated.

They Backed Berg for 57 days, they backed Appleton for 67 days.

3. They are still here (That's the problem) and one would ask why. Why continue to pour money into a bottomless pit when everything is obviously going tits up? I doubt their poultry business could sustain the (apparent) losses of BRFC for long.

TBH, I can't see why you are supporting an abysmal set of owners. Their ownership has shown nothing but contemp for the supporters, contempt for the administration, and contempt for some of the (previous) senior playing staff.

To me, they are a front for something more sinister happening.

key word there, more heresay..

Its not hearsay that Venkys have completely failed us. They have, it must have passed you by.

Any notion that they will somehow turn things around is pure invention though.

Repeat, are you on a wind- up?

Archived