SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Who Is Making The Signings ?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Norbert

Simple really.

Season kicks-off 3 August and a squad needed whoever owns or manages club come then.

My view - every effort will be made to clear the high earners and replace with cheap, cheap options and Taylor and Eastwood fit the bill. We could well be envying the signings Burnley make !

I wouldn't expect to see Dann, Hanley, Olsson1 or Rhodes here come 3 August. If takers can be found for Etuhu & Murphy then I think they will go (or terminations agreed) and if Robbo could be shifted then he would be but with a back problem and two years left on contract, he aint going anywhere.

If they're selling up though, why would it matter if there are a few players on big wages? Sure, it might look a bit better on the balance sheet, or they might be able to snaffle some of the fees, but whoever may buy the club may prefer to have the above players on the books, and would therefore pay a smaller amount when they look at the quality of the squad.

And has your source said which people may be interested, and possibly successful?

If they're selling up though, why would it matter if there are a few players on big wages? Sure, it might look a bit better on the balance sheet, or they might be able to snaffle some of the fees, but whoever may buy the club may prefer to have the above players on the books, and would therefore pay a smaller amount when they look at the quality of the squad.

And has your source said which people may be interested, and possibly successful?

I said that, IMO, there would be an ownership change at Rovers before the new season kicks-off. I'll stick with that, however, how that materialises remains to be seen !

The crux of the matter is that I think Rovers are financially screwed.

Guest Norbert

I don't really disagree with that last point, but other than The Trust or the two Ians, I can't see who'd come in and buy the club. From previous comments and behaviour, the Venky's clowns may be wanting to sell, but not to either to them.

• Backroom

Taking that official line, it may be that Bowyer (once he returns from holiday) will be officially installed as manager, and (knowing this) he signalled he wanted these players, so Venkys (or whoever) have entered negotiations with them.

According to LET looks like I was right. Once in a blue moon, eh?

It was purely political, like Berg he was fighting an up hill battle from day 1 because of the pathetic power struggle, which is no environment for success of any kind, very long shot I know, but It really wouldn't surprise me under this lot if he was brought back in(considering his contract is still rolling and where looking to sign players that he likely helped identify as targets)

Come on, he was rubbish! Bowyer left him with a side that had won 3 on the bounce before drawing at Wolves and then in Appleton's first game we lost at home to Charlton. A brief honeymoon period did kick in and we got a few good results. But post-Arsenal, we lost the next 5 out of 7, including some dreaful ,verging on humiliating, performances against Leicester, Peterborough and Millwall. Fans used to complain about Allardyce, well the football under Appleton was far uglier and far less effective, it was painful to watch at times. It took Bowyer longer to rebuild from the Appleton effect than it did from the Berg effect. He was a terrible manager in my opinion who signed extremely average players and allowed quality like Rochina and Vuckevic to leave.

Come on, he was rubbish! Bowyer left him with a side that had won 3 on the bounce before drawing at Wolves and then in Appleton's first game we lost at home to Charlton. A brief honeymoon period did kick in and we got a few good results. But post-Arsenal, we lost the next 5 out of 7, including some dreaful ,verging on humiliating, performances against Leicester, Peterborough and Millwall. Fans used to complain about Allardyce, well the football under Appleton was far uglier and far less effective, it was painful to watch at times. It took Bowyer longer to rebuild from the Appleton effect than it did from the Berg effect. He was a terrible manager in my opinion who signed extremely average players and allowed quality like Rochina and Vuckevic to leave.

Watching the Ipswich match is one of my most painful Rovers memories.

Inspired Gary. Truly inspired. Fence off the area around the ticket office now to cope with the queue

You're quite right, they are sensible signings for a club in our position. Sadly, some are finding it difficult to come to terms with the fact that the days of Jack and the Trust are long gone. We are where we are for whatever reasons. One or two bargain basement signings might be no bad thing. The likes of Jim Arnold, Chris Price, Mark Atkins and many others were hardly household names when they came to Ewood Park and yet all gave the club good service. I'm happy to wait and judge the players on what they do on the pitch rather than where they have come from.

Guest Norbert

Colin Hendry was not really doing much at Man City either, nore Le Saux at Chelsea. As I've said before, I'd rather get some decent, cheap players in now and clear some deadwood on high wages than go all out and spunk all the money on one aging Premier League 'star' or flavour of the month player. Some people just want to be professional moaners, and condemn everything, just like this (a few rude words):

Agreed, Appletons tactics where pish poor, but how much of that was due to all the injuries he had,sadly though it is obviously a results business, so he was sacked, but nearly everthing he was doing and saying away from matchdays seened to be right and in the best interests of the club.

I said that, IMO, there would be an ownership change at Rovers before the new season kicks-off. I'll stick with that, however, how that materialises remains to be seen !

The crux of the matter is that I think Rovers are financially screwed.

You promised , you even offered to do me a drawing of events and won't (because its was nailed on ) take my 50 pound bet .

Bigger U turn than the Tories ever could do .

As much as I'd love em gone the scumbags won't be going ... Oops sorry the nice Indian owner chappys ( is that better Paul)

Agreed, Appletons tactics where pish poor, but how much of that was due to all the injuries he had,sadly though it is obviously a results business, so he was sacked, but nearly everthing he was doing and saying away from matchdays seened to be right and in the best interests of the club.

It's all well and good appearing to do the right things like making all the right noises and appearing to do the right thing like signing a head of transfer recruitment.

But where does it leave you if despite your brave words the team fail to perform and your much vaunted your head of transfer recruitment actually goes on to sign a right load of old crap?

I really don't think Appleton should be lauded as a genius because he managed to find Williamson and Jones. He also signed Bentley, Campbell, Rekic and Stewart all of whom were disastrous signings imo.

He also shunted aside young Kane who had done very well in favour of recalling the experienced but talentless and repellent Orr. And inexplicably loaned out imo our second best player behind Rhodes in Rochina.

So he was given a relatively free hand but only got two out of six signings right or if you like two decisions out of eight right. Anyone could have managed that surely.

Agree Revidge. And thats personally why I always and only judge managers on results. There's many different aspects to management. Some managers are good at aspects that contribute little, some appear to be better at certain aspects than they actually are, and equally the reverse applies. But you bring all these many aspects together and what you get is results, thats the full picture, or the bottom line, or however you wanna say it.

To me it doesn't matter one bit if a manager is good at certain things if the results aren't good, and it doesn't matter if they're bad at certain things if the results are good enough. If a manager gets on great with his players, gives great teamtalks, makes great signings, is a great coach and his results are rubbish, he's a bad manager. In that case the results are saying he isn't as great as he looks to fans at one or more of those things, or he's doing something else wrong thats more important.

To me its a more sensible to take an objective look at the results and work backwards to speculate on what a manager's doing wrong, than to make a subjective judgement on what you think the manager is doing right and then expect the results to at some point follow.

It's all well and good appearing to do the right things like making all the right noises and appearing to do the right thing like signing a head of transfer recruitment.

But where does it leave you if despite your brave words the team fail to perform and your much vaunted your head of transfer recruitment actually goes on to sign a right load of old crap?

I really don't think Appleton should be lauded as a genius because he managed to find Williamson and Jones. He also signed Bentley, Campbell, Rekic and Stewart all of whom were disastrous signings imo.

He also shunted aside young Kane who had done very well in favour of recalling the experienced but talentless and repellent Orr. And inexplicably loaned out imo our second best player behind Rhodes in Rochina.

So he was given a relatively free hand but only got two out of six signings right or if you like two decisions out of eight right. Anyone could have managed that surely.

Cambell and Bentley should both have performed better, rekic was just dropped in the deep end and i like stewart(so ner ner nan ner ner;)

He also got coaches that got the players into kuch better shape, but it wasnt untill bowyer took over that the extra fitness they had started to reap rewards.

As i say he was fighting an up hill battle from day 1, unlike bowyer who was just left to his own devices, had less pressure on him and had the benefit of already being liked and respected by evetybody at the club.

Cambell and Bentley should both have performed better, rekic was just dropped in the deep end and i like stewart(so ner ner nan ner ner;)

He also got coaches that got the players into kuch better shape, but it wasnt untill bowyer took over that the extra fitness they had started to reap rewards.

As i say he was fighting an up hill battle from day 1, unlike bowyer who was just left to his own devices, had less pressure on him and had the benefit of already being liked and respected by evetybody at the club.

according to today's LT that Bowyer has been given the go ahead to line up the signings.

Isnt Gary Bowyer on holiday plus he hasnt been named as the manager.

Sounds like a cover up!

Isnt Gary Bowyer on holiday plus he hasnt been named as the manager.

Sounds like a cover up!

I'm sure that the Owners have give GB assurances that he will become the new permanent manager shortly. so he has been lining up signings for when he is the permanent manager.

so what if Bowyer is on Holiday, quite sure that he knows how to use a phone and Internet to speak to players. not rocket science is it???

Radio Lancs has said today that GB is back from holiday this weekend. so I expect Bowyer to go to Pune this weekend for talks and announcement over weekend or early next week!

I find it more amsuing that yesterday ABB's starts this thread and the very next day in the LT they say bowyers lining up the signings. Coincidence???

Ive been noticing that a lot since Cryer left, Flanagan et. definitely seem to be using this board as a way of gauging fans thoughts, feelings and questions, If this is the case and not just coincidence then its a good thing I my opinion(it helps to put the cynical, idol and miserable gossip to bed faster, before things get carried away)

Legitimate question to ask. Who is making the signings.

It SEEMS like it's from the input of Bowyer, they seem his kind of players. Nor do I disagree with the fact this is where we have to look - especially until we can shift the deadwood (or more likely when their contracts expire.)

However there are several issues with this. Firstly it's at best unprofessional, cart before horse stuff. Surely you get the manager in first - it's pretty basic.

Secondly - we're still don't know for certain whether Bowyer's definitely get the job. Looks nailed on but this is Venkys remember. Their capacity to do something stupid or dodgy is limitless. It could be the case that Bowyer isn't going to be manager (for whatever reason). If this is the case this is more than unprofessional - it's utterly stupid. They should let the new manager choose the players. Even if the recommendations are Bowyer's it's still wrong for people other than the manager or DoF initiating transfers - aside from undermining him, it's not helpful for the manager/DoF to choose who to bring in.

Thirdly, even if there's an innocent explanation, given the amount of dodgy deals the club has seen over the last 2 years fans are bound to be worried. Sure it might just be unprofessional, but given our track record, buying players without a manager settled in is bound to get people worried and wondering.

• Backroom

Legitimate question to ask. Who is making the signings.

It SEEMS like it's from the input of Bowyer, they seem his kind of players. Nor do I disagree with the fact this is where we have to look - especially until we can shift the deadwood (or more likely when their contracts expire.)

However there are several issues with this. Firstly it's at best unprofessional, cart before horse stuff. Surely you get the manager in first - it's pretty basic.

Secondly - we're still don't know for certain whether Bowyer's definitely get the job. Looks nailed on but this is Venkys remember. Their capacity to do something stupid or dodgy is limitless. It could be the case that Bowyer isn't going to be manager (for whatever reason). If this is the case this is more than unprofessional - it's utterly stupid. They should let the new manager choose the players. Even if the recommendations are Bowyer's it's still wrong for people other than the manager or DoF initiating transfers - aside from undermining him, it's not helpful for the manager/DoF to choose who to bring in.

Thirdly, even if there's an innocent explanation, given the amount of dodgy deals the club has seen over the last 2 years fans are bound to be worried. Sure it might just be unprofessional, but given our track record, buying players without a manager settled in is bound to get people worried and wondering.

I do think it's unprofessional, but it's still a slight over-reaction tbh. While it's Venkys, the likelihood (as reported by the LET and our resident ITKs) is that Venkys have guaranteed Bowyer the position thanks to staying up, contract negotiations with him have stalled due to his holiday and will be completed when he gets back. In the meantime, we appear to have signed players w can afford at his recommendation. there is an argument to say we are going all out (being extra-professional) so that our manager gets the men he wants.

Archived