BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers songs of 70s and 80s

I know this a bit off topic but this thread reminded me of 'burnleys going down forever' pre match rendition at the turf in 2010. For those who aren't aware, burnley's pre match anthem and cheesy attempt at galvanising the turf faithful was Altogether Now by The Farm. 3000 Rovers fans tweaked the lyrics a little and gave our own roaring rendition for the sky tv cameras!

This actually happened at half time - the song was hijacked by Rovers fans and the Dingle MC eventually turned the music off. That didn't stop us carrying on singing for a good while after. A great memory.

This actually happened at half time - the song was hijacked by Rovers fans and the Dingle MC eventually turned the music off. That didn't stop us carrying on singing for a good while after. A great memory.

It was definitely played before the game not at half time.

I used to enrich my kids' bedtimes with "Tales of the terraces", when they were growing up in the era of sterile, all seater stadiums.

My own personal favourite song was Rovers fans' version of Molly Malone.

I remember my very first, away game. It was a night match at Blackpool and I looked up the steep, spion kop to see the synchronised lifting of thousands of bare arms, in readiness for the rhythmic clapping in the chorus.

The arms always went up with the line .." as she wheeled her wheel barrow.." My kids loved that, although they have never once heard it at a match.

Something else that Venkunts can't take away....

Lee Marvin with yer Dean Martin

Snow can burn your eyes

But only Venky's make you cry?

I used to enrich my kids' bedtimes with "Tales of the terraces", when they were growing up in the era of sterile, all seater stadiums.

My own personal favourite song was Rovers fans' version of Molly Malone.

I remember my very first, away game. It was a night match at Blackpool and I looked up the steep, spion kop to see the synchronised lifting of thousands of bare arms, in readiness for the rhythmic clapping in the chorus.

The arms always went up with the line .." as she wheeled her wheel barrow.." My kids loved that, although they have never once heard it at a match.

Something else that Venkunts can't take away....

Snow can burn your eyes

But only Venky's make you cry?

I remember an away night match at Blackpool in the seventies, I seem to remember a bit of fistycuffs after the game.

It was definitely played before the game not at half time.

Hmmm..... Not that great a memory of mine then! I am amazed that it was before kick off as I was on the last coach to get to the ground and it was bedlam when we turned up. I thought that we only just about got to our seats for kick off, but I definitely remember singing it.

I bought the By gum we'll make it a day single from ebay one night while full of beer. It wasn't in the best of nick but its not surprising as its over 40 years old. I have got it as an MP3 on my PC, if i can find it I'll upload it somewhere

Never give in, go out to win, forever will be our aim, and here's a song to help us along the way.

Blackburn Rovers good old blue and white, for our namesakes ,to play is our delight.

Whoever were playing, we'll never be failing, in giving our best to test the rest at home or away.

Our name is ranked among the all-time greats, we'll never say die, where here to try, and then to celebrate.

For we are the Rovers, were proud of our colours, on and on we'll carry to victory,

For the rovers we'll be scoring, for the Rovers they'll be roaring,

We'll never give in, by gum we'll make it our day.

Classic.

We used to sing this travelling to away games and it always got the blood pumping.

• Backroom

A bit off topic but in our version of Blaydon Races do most people sing 'walking down the Bolton road just to see em running' or repeat the 'should have seen us coming'

I always thought it was the first but it seems like most people sing 'should have seen us coming' twice

One of the earliest chants I remember is 'clap your hands, stamp your feet, wiggle your fingers' when Roy Wegerle was on along with 'Wegerle / wiggle it just a little bit'

Thanks for posting them AndyR, they are not as bad as I remembered :)

Was listening to the Mighty Wah today, Pete Wiley the nostradamus of Rovers

First they take your pride, then turn it all inside,
and then you realise you got nothing left to lose.
So you try to stop,try to get back up,
and then you realise you're telling the Story of the Blues.

Felling browbeaten day after day,
I think It's over but I just can't get away.
You said forget it,
well don't go jump to the gun,
you're laughing this time next time you might be the one
To tell the story of the blues

I remember an away night match at Blackpool in the seventies, I seem to remember a bit of fistycuffs after the game.

Me and my mate used to go, only in our young teens then but i remember one Friday night match i think we got stuffed 4 or 5 nil and one of their players scored 4, i cant remember his name for the life of me. Anyway we managed to keep out of trouble had a couple of beers and got home at silly o'clock. worst place was Bolton our bus or train from Darwen on the way and on the way back was always stoned.

I remember that great night at Bury in 1980 when we won promotion back to the second division. Rovers fans almost took over the ground and the old Gigg Lane stands were literally rocking with all the bouncing and singing.

Watching the last few minutes tick down, we were all singing "ten more minutes to go and we'll be in the second" then "five more minutes to go and we'll be in the second" etc.. to the tune of ten men went to mow a meadow.

If I ever hear that tune nowadays, it takes me straight back - what a fantastic night!

Me and my mate used to go, only in our young teens then but i remember one Friday night match i think we got stuffed 4 or 5 nil and one of their players scored 4, i cant remember his name for the life of me. Anyway we managed to keep out of trouble had a couple of beers and got home at silly o'clock. worst place was Bolton our bus or train from Darwen on the way and on the way back was always stoned.

The game I was on about was in Feb 1976, we drew 1-1, Tony Parkes scored

• 1 month later...

aloeta jonty aloeta,how i love ur tatty head,who remembers this,my name is tomo from preston,followed rovers for 40 years,this song took off when i started it on blackburn end,who remembers ?????????

Well Tomo, judging by your 'handle' you sound like my generation... but I must admit I don't remember this ditty. We used to stand by 'Pillar 5' in the Blackburn End and started many a 'daft' song off. Who remembers the B.U.N song? ... or 'Clap you Hands, Stamp your feet, Wriggle your fingers'? ... or 'As slow as a Tortoise, as fast as a Hare'. Funnily enough, back then, we used to stand next to Abbey and his crew and join in with their eulogies to Abbey Village drinking establishments ..... happy days!

Archived