BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Has this community lost its community spirit?

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've already had a couple of quiet private words, but for the good of the thread as a whole.

One point made several times earlier in the thread was that the proliferation of personal insults is bad and the answer is stronger moderation. This includes the mods too (especially former mods who are no longer around to defend themselves or who are aware of how moderation currently works), just because they've got more sense then to bite back, doesn't mean it's acceptable.

So, feel free to throw questions and comments my way, either here of if its either about an individual mod or you'd rather not share it with everyone send it as a PM, (and I've genuinely missed whatever it is Abbey is asking that I keep ignoring) and I'll try my best to answer them openly and honestly, just like I'll take on board any feedback.

But the personal attacks, be them on mods or anyone, stop now or I'll take great delight in seeing how effective the new moderation controls are.

I think before ICBINF, when there was nothing more relevant to talk about on a game, the thread would meander into random topics and maybe as Paul was alluding to earlier, something was lost when ICBINF came along.

Now instead, when all the talk has been exhausted, the sly digs and nastiness comes to the fore. Maybe this is worse now that there's nothing, or not much positive stuff to talk about.

I see no problem with hard but moderation to promote considerate posts that add to the content.

I think perhaps one problem is that in these days of broadband, it is much quicker to make a post and people may be more tempted to make a post even when it adds nothing at all. I remember when it used to take 45 secs or more to post using my dodgy dial-up

Perhaps a time delay of 3 minutes would be useful in cutting down the noise and filler.

I guess part of the psychology of making vacuous posts is to get a little buzz from seeing your name up in lights or your post count go up. Also, the dynamics of a running feud on here is that it's a very quick to and fro thing, which doesn't help as there's no time to cool down, just a continual cycle of antagonism and response and antagonism.

Or possibly a limit on how many posts you can make on a thread, as a percentage of the total number of posts. Maybe there could be a few excepted threads to this, eg the match day thread, maybe a transfer rumours thread (we all know how chaddy loves getting his links in).

There's a minority of smug trolls on here, and reading their nonsense is especially tiring. For most sensible users of this forum, plus the moderators, it's a real pain watching someone try to be clever.

Just my earnest opinion.

EDIT: and how about an option to do a "hard ignore" so that if someone's on your hard list, you don't have the "View anyway" option (so tempting) and if someone quotes a post of theirs, you can't see it at all?

The problem is too many cocky new posters driving the old ones away. The only way is to jump on them immediately and after one warning ban them. At the moment this site is being ruined by a few of them. I don't need to name them. We all know who they are.

I'm very sorry. I didn't mean to come across as cocky and it certainly was not my intention to drive the old ones away. I really enjoy reading their posts, and I do hope they return. If me getting banned means their return, I will willingly refrain from posting. I'm sure the comments, opinions and posts of the old timers are worth much more than my ill-informed, impulsive and narrow-minded ones.

I'm very sorry. I didn't mean to come across as cocky and it certainly was not my intention to drive the old ones away. I really enjoy reading their posts, and I do hope they return. If me getting banned means their return, I will willingly refrain from posting. I'm sure the comments, opinions and posts of the old timers are worth much more than my ill-informed, impulsive and narrow-minded ones.

I don't remember referring to you directly Black Burn.

Linking two current subjects under debate Glenn. Can an attack really be deemed 'personal' on an anonymous person whi is using a made up board name? :blink:

I rarely agree with you, but if everyone saw this point and embraced it we wouldn't get half the bickering we do. Whatever people think of other internet forums, trolling and abuse doesn't last half as long as it does on here, because become get so tetchy about it. Majiballs can call me a cock as many times as he wants, it doesn't provoke any emotional reaction whatsoever. Why would it? Because of this things soon fade out, rather than dragging on for days and days.

Surely that's noting to do with anonymity though and it's just how easily you're upset or offended? If I understand what you're saying (and I may have this wrong) that everyone should man up and learn not to take things personally, just because they can't identify who said them? (see also "it was only a joke" and "banter")

If so. I think that could be the fundamental issue here. If some people try and tailor their comments to the sensibilities of other readers, but others believe the answer is that readers should align their sensibilities with those of the poster then it's hardly surprising we have problems. Sure, I'm happy to let no end of BRFCS members rip into me, but generally they've earned the right to do that. If it was some random internet troll I didn't know hiding behind a fake name, then I can't imagine I'd be particulary happy.

..... and generally, it doesn't make good reading either (though you have just given another compelling reason for The Bear Pit idea).

... and on a lighter note. For those of you that haven't seen it, I simply have to share this Facebook conversation that TJ & Batman's (big B ) exchange reminded me of.

facebook.jpg

Archived