BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Has this community lost its community spirit?

Our native English is probably, amongst comparable languages, the one with the widest vocabulary, a wonderfully diverse collection of colloquialisms along with a wide range of local words and phrases.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK i'm getting like TJ Newton here, promising to leave the Board but carrying on posting!

I appreciate everything you say but its the parts of my post and Abbeys you haven't addressed that most concern me.Its OK apparently for posters to call others a nob or a tool but not for Gav to call TJ Newton a cock. Is that correct?

Moreover its not OK for me to agree with Gav without using the word?

Finally I seem to remember that the same Mod who banned me for a fortnight for not using the word called Rovers Fan a @#/? and did not, so far as I know ban himself. (He had a very good point by the way but that's not the issue!)

All in or all out eh? Otherwise its an abuse of authority.

I hasten to add that you are as fair a person as we could hope to be running the Board and I have no criticism of you whatsoever.

It comes back to my earlier comments about profile moderation vs letterbox moderation. If you go back and read the thread (I normally wouldn't share the mod's private comment, but I think it'll help this time), you see the private moderation notes are pretty valid. It's not about one use of one word (and/or intentional filter avoidance) but the overall impact that "spat" had.

"[ The three of them ] banned for a while as they had taken 2 pages over with their arguing. Gav had started it by calling TJ a cock, and whilst TJ was being the biggest instigator, you couldnt can TJ without the two others."

So, it wasn't really *just* Gav calling TJ a cock (not that we'd support or condone that), but if it had stopped there, then it probably wouldn't have gone beyond a quiet word at worst, but it was the fact in continued on for two pages or unwanted drivel, that's what crossed the line.

I should probably add, I don't want to get in the habit of doing our moderation in public, I think our policy of trying to do all this without drawing attention to it works better than doing it all in public, but as this case is being publicly discussed, I think it helps you understand our side.

Interesting and thanks for that. I haven't got an infallible memory by any means but I don't remember being a major part of that one. I foolishly threw in a one-off comment at the end of a spat between those two is how I remember it, basically about TJ promising to leave the Board for a while but not doing so (ironically!). i don't even know what thread it was but if you let me know I'll look it up.

I' m sure you know you are continuing to avoid a central issue here, Abbey has raised it and so have I. It doesn't look good does it?

Rather than bore everyone further I'll check out that thread and PM you if you PM me with a reference.

Thanks.

my cocks getting way to much attention,

honestly though, if it makes certain board members feel better and helps them to move on! I'd happily take a posting ban(maybe ill get some karma points),

I think this thread has nearly run its course to be honest and is just becoming a little ironic,

Maybe some new mods would freshen the place up a little is my final opinion on the whole issue.

my cocks getting way to much attention,

honestly though, if it makes certain board members feel better and helps them to move on! I'd happily take a posting ban(maybe ill get some karma points),

I think this thread has nearly run its course to be honest and is just becoming a little ironic.

(maybe some new mods would freshen the place up a little)

New mods!!!! Please God No! It takes most of em (no names mentioned ;) ) the best part of 2 years to simmer down and settle in.

I think this thread has nearly run its course to be honest and is just becoming a little ironic.

I disagree. I think this thread is keeping the rest of the board fairly tidy.

Long may it continue.

From personal experience, moderator nominations aren't a great idea. Democracy simply doesn't work and in most cases it devolves into a glorified popularity contest. Those running the site should be trusted to choose the appropriate mods for the job at their own discretion.

It comes back to my earlier comments about profile moderation vs letterbox moderation. If you go back and read the thread (I normally wouldn't share the mod's private comment, but I think it'll help this time), you see the private moderation notes are pretty valid. It's not about one use of one word (and/or intentional filter avoidance) but the overall impact that "spat" had.

"[ The three of them ] banned for a while as they had taken 2 pages over with their arguing. Gav had started it by calling TJ a cock, and whilst TJ was being the biggest instigator, you couldnt can TJ without the two others."

So, it wasn't really *just* Gav calling TJ a cock (not that we'd support or condone that), but if it had stopped there, then it probably wouldn't have gone beyond a quiet word at worst, but it was the fact in continued on for two pages or unwanted drivel, that's what crossed the line.

I should probably add, I don't want to get in the habit of doing our moderation in public, I think our policy of trying to do all this without drawing attention to it works better than doing it all in public, but as this case is being publicly discussed, I think it helps you understand our side.

I certainly don't recall being part of a 2 page argument, I made the comment and logged off, it must have kicked off after that I guess.

All water under the bridge for me, I've never taken this site too seriously and never will. I think the moderators do a great job on a voluntary basis and thats commendable in my book, even if they did get it wrong on this occasion in opinion.

As for making Gordon a moderator :lol: now that would be fun :tu:

Can we take this away from an ex and current mod bashing session please. All mods past and present do it to try to help out the site and keep things running effectively. Seems a shame for what has been a good thread to degenerate into a mud slinging contest.

Just to clarify, I do think the mods here do a great job(especially considering the amount of traffic and posts this site get) my idea of having a couple of new mods that are voted in to moderate for short periods was meant as a way of taking some of the load from the current crew(and it could also work as a way for admin to find potential future fulltime mods),

But saying that I can see where Amarillo is coming from, so it is probably not the best idea i've had.

oh ok ignore the questions ,comments then...no more comments then.

The question was asked at the start about what is wrong and people commented. Whats wrong with that ? So we can only comment if we dont comment on things ...that is what is so wrong.

Archived