BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

As feared, the Aussies are going o get a first innings lead, possibly a sizeable one. From there we will be attempting to save

the game, with plenty of time for the Aussie bowlers.

Bazball won't be much use in those circumstances.

TBF this is more a criticism of the Captain rather than the methodology.

We should never have declared.

As for the  wicketkeeper, we have a long unproud history of omitting the best in order to give

us another batter----right back to Jimmy Binks of Yorkshire in the early sixties in my experience!!

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1

Long way to go in the test, don’t give up just yet 47er. Couple of quick wickets and we’re back on top. 

Before McCullum came in we’d be 100 behind already and heading for a defeat, I’ll take this all day long. 

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Long way to go in the test, don’t give up just yet 47er. Couple of quick wickets and we’re back on top. 

Before McCullum came in we’d be 100 behind already and heading for a defeat, I’ll take this all day long. 

Que? England won matches before McCullum turned up

This is about a very questionable declaration, surrendering a strong position when Root and Robinson were going along very nicely and could have made the match safe by posting a very big score and scored some psychological points against the other lot

As it stands it’s easy to see a scenario in which England can easily lose this match.

Bazball is fine when it works but there’s a load of hype around it too and Stokes seems to have taken an unnecessary risk

We had a long debate about it down our cricket club last night and the  consensus was it was a daft decision 

• Like 1

I’d always play the best keeper even if he didn’t know which end of the bat to hold. A bad one who’s in as a batsman will need a 50 every innings just on missed opportunities of stumpings and catches. In this game bairstow has 78 and is already in a big net deficit. 

• Like 4

Re the declaration. At the time I thought with root still in it was nonsense and a bit arrogant for the sake of 4 ish overs bowled. Might have got away with it if took a wicket or 2 but on a pitch they’re saying 450 is par strange coming in with root in and Robinson going well. Suppose feeds into the baz ball mystique just be different even if it’s stupid so long as it’s different.

They could still get away with it but like a footballer who deliberately smashes one into his own net but win the game 2-1 it’s still a ludicrous decision. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

Would anyone have played Foakes at 8 and had Root as our spin option?

Personally considering bairstow was coming off a very bad injury I’d have gone foakes for bairstow. Gain a lot with the gloves lose a bit with the bat. I think over all the trade would be net improvement

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Que? England won matches before McCullum turned up

This is about a very questionable declaration, surrendering a strong position when Root and Robinson were going along very nicely and could have made the match safe by posting a very big score and scored some psychological points against the other lot

As it stands it’s easy to see a scenario in which England can easily lose this match.

Bazball is fine when it works but there’s a load of hype around it too and Stokes seems to have taken an unnecessary risk

We had a long debate about it down our cricket club last night and the  consensus was it was a daft decision 

I think the weather played a major part in the decision to declare also Jim. Overcast conditions on Saturday and England took wickets early on as a result.

I was talking to some Aussies over here on Merv Hughes tour party on Friday night. They all said it’s the first time since 2005 that they really fear England and that’s due to Stokes and Baz unconventional approach. 

Edited by Gav

9 minutes ago, wilsdenrover said:

1 innings match now - who do we think the favourites are?

This pitch is going to deteriorate, I’m worried about Moeen’s hand, he seems to be struggling and we need him desperately. 

England in the box seat after the last 45mins where they’ve been superb.

Quick runs and aggressive declaration? You wouldn’t bet against it.

Edited by Gav

England under Stokes will continue to play the same way, being positive with the declarations and want to win games. They not interested in Draws. Stokes's declaration looks right now. They need to play attacking now. 

3 hours ago, 47er said:

True-- so why waste it with a reckless declaration?

How have we wasted it? 

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

7 runs innings lead. Silly declaration on a 5-day match, dropped catches, should have been so many more.

England have to bat the rest of today and most of tomorrow to avoid defeat

It was a strange one and just a touch of arrogance.

Going at 5 RPO with Root established and Robinson doing ok everything points to batting the first innings out whilst trying to maintain the scoring rate.

I also hope that Stokes doesn't personally look to bat as if its T20.

Still they are the experts so fingers crossed.

3 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

It was a strange one and just a touch of arrogance.

Going at 5 RPO with Root established and Robinson doing ok everything points to batting the first innings out whilst trying to maintain the scoring rate.

I also hope that Stokes doesn't personally look to bat as if its T20.

Still they are the experts so fingers crossed.

A "positive" attitude is fine .... but not all the time. Sometimes pragmatism is required, such as now when England need primarily to make a decent score in order to avoid defeat. Throwing wickets away with reckless shots with more than 2 days to go isn't positive, it's downright stupid.

England may win the match from here (or may not) but the declaration will never make sense to me. Two batters with their eyes in, tired bowlers after a long day, and possibly 50 runs or more given away

• Like 1