BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

13 minutes ago, Gav said:

I went last year to the Royal London cup game in Sedbergh, sadly it rained all day, but a great place to watch cricket when the weather stays fine.

Lancs playing Onionsball at well over 7 rpo.

Hurst and Aspinwall thrashed everything that came their way.

• Like 1

As playing Cumbria the only fixture Lancs should be playing up in historic Yorkshire modern Cumbria.

Krikken led us last year and got us to the final when chapple took over and inevitably lost the final. Things are not right at Lancs so can’t see them doing anything.

Unfortunately playing there again Tuesday. So a bit of time for a nice swimming pool to appear in the bit in front of the pavilion. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gav said:

Talking of swimming pools, it’s pelting down in London, can’t see any further play today. 

Yeah it’s a real shame the weather has spoilt what has been an enthralling and thoroughly entertaining series. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Gav said:

This England side breaking record after record, it’s been another phenomenal day for this team, they’re quickly heading towards the best English test side ever.

You heard it hear first. 

Lets have some actual results before we make that sort of claim!

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

Lets have some actual results before we make that sort of claim!

You didn't hear it first?

This England team could well lose the first home Ashes series in more than 20 years

Far from being "the best English (sic)  test side ever" (silly), it could be one of the worst 

On Pakistan England have toured Pakistan 9 times for test series winning 3, losing 3 & drawing 3. Although they have won 2 of their last 3 tours there.

17 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I would argue he is actually more of a legend than Jimmy, despite having less career test wickets. He has won several matches single handedly over the years with some amazing spells of bowling. Until he got hit on the head his batting was half decent too.

Broad will be remembered more fondly than Anderson despite being an inferior bowler when at their peaks. English cricketers are best remembered by their performances in Ashes series and Broad has been a phenomenal competitor in Ashes cricket whereas Anderson's record is poor, criminally poor really for someone as good as him.

26 minutes ago, 47er said:

Let’s have some actual results before we make that sort of claim!

Where have you been for the past 15 months? 

This side have won 11 tests out of 17 under Stokes as captain, including a historic 3-0 win in Pakistan, which has NEVER been achieved by any England side in the history of cricket. 

They’re undoubtedly the most entertaining England side ever and given time could prove to the best side ever. 

It’s a great time to be an English cricket fan.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

On Pakistan England have toured Pakistan 9 times for test series winning 3, losing 3 & drawing 3. Although they have won 2 of their last 3 tours there.

Thanks Ewood Ace, I thought Jim was making stuff up again…

Edited by Gav

20 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

This England team could well lose the first home Ashes series in more than 20 years

Far from being "the best English (sic)  test side ever" (silly), it could be one of the worst 

Rightly or wrongly all England and Australian players and sides are pretty much judged by the ashes. If don’t get back on and get a win, I agree this side will forever be remembered for the first England team to lose a home ashes for 22 years. Despite the run rates. 

4 minutes ago, matt83 said:

Rightly or wrongly all England and Australian players and sides are pretty much judged by the ashes. If don’t get back on and get a win, I agree this side will forever be remembered for the first England team to lose a home ashes for 22 years. Despite the run rates. 

The "run rates", the "excitement", the crash-bang-wallop T20-style batting, ........ bleeding Bazball ...... is pointless if you don't win. 

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

They’re undoubtedly the most entertaining England side ever and given time could prove to the best side ever. 

I suppose being entertained is subjective. For those who like t20 and what the boring traditionalists would could reckless cricket it might be.

I was fortunate enough to be at the mcg then the SCG in 2010/11 where won in their back yard 3-1. Only once did we go over at 4 an over in Adelaide. Grinding out a draw in 2nd innings at the gabba, scoring over 500 at 3 an over at the mcg after skittling them for less than 100, 644 going at 3 (high test score down under) at the scg where cook got nearly 200 at a strike rate of about 50. Exceptional sensible batting, bowling and fielding for me that was the most entertaining England have and probably will ever be. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, matt83 said:

I suppose being entertained is subjective. For those who like t20 and what the boring traditionalists would could reckless cricket it might be.

You've nailed your colours to the mast during this series matt, you want traditional cricket played in the traditional way and nothing wrong with that.

Having been a cricket fan for more years than I care to mention, I'd much rather watch us play wining cricket, as we have been doing more recently, than getting hammered in West Indies by 10wkts trying the same old traditional approach.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Gav said:

You've nailed your colours to the mast during this series matt, you want traditional cricket played in the traditional way and nothing wrong with that.

Having been a cricket fan for more years than I care to mention, I'd much rather watch us play wining cricket, as we have been doing more recently, than getting hammered in West Indies by 10wkts trying the same old traditional approach.

I must admit after that windies series something definitely had to change and I did always wanted England to play more aggressively than they were. I hated the end of the root era just attempting to block out neither trying to score nor technically sufficient to defend. The bowling side were on a win to nothing they could try whatever they wanted without our batsmen trying to score then they eventually succumbed to one.

For me (not all) there is a happy medium than where we’re currently at. I just watch some of the techniques and mentality of these players and I think we’re a house built on sand. This side will live and die by the sword there’s no doubt about that.

Also another thing that’s bugging me in some sections of the media is they’re rewriting history. It’s either bazball or go at 1 an over and lose. There’s a world of middle ground but it’s reported almost as get on board or watch 50 off 500 overs. 

Edited by matt83
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, matt83 said:

It is and has been painfully obvious that a fast RPO whilst losing wickets on a regular basis or by a collapse leaves too much time remaining in Test cricket for a competent team batting at a slower RPO to score enough to win.

Add in the effect of weird declarations, poor keeping, dropped catches, no balls etc and even a fast RPO will struggle against the better sides who are the Aussies and India.

Yes we have beaten SA and Pakistan who are no where near top form and/ or in the turmoil of rebuilding.

India will be a yardstick to judge by. We should skate through our summer.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

It is and has been painfully obvious that a fast RPO whilst losing wickets on a regular basis or by a collapse leaves too much time remaining in Test cricket for a competent team batting at a slower RPO to score enough to win.

Add in the effect of weird declarations, poor keeping, dropped catches, no balls etc and even a fast RPO will struggle against the better sides who are the Aussies and India.

Yes we have beaten SA and Pakistan who are no where near top form and/ or in the turmoil of rebuilding.

India will be a yardstick to judge by. We should skate through our summer.

Agree with a lot of this. I think ‘Bazball’ will evolve to be fair.

6 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I think it has a bit since this series started. It's more controlled but still getting a good run rate.

I almost expected the start the Aussies have made in their 2nd innings. No way such class batmen can always fail in the majority.

The BBC are hopeful that the weather will be ok tomorrow. We need wickets fast, if the Aussies bat long they win.

I think one thing we can all agree on is that a fast run rate is better than a slow one but some like the win too and definitely in the Ashes.

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 1

There's only one form of "entertaining cricket" - and that winning cricket. Any normal England fan would tell they just want to beat the convicts and they don't care how it is achieved, whether it's at 1 or 6 runs an over.

England's fast scoring run rate in this series gave them the chance to win the first Test and it could well undo us in this one too. Bazball worked against the lesser Test teams but its high-risk approach has come unstuck this summer when faced with tough and pragmatic opponents.

Assuming play is possible tomorrow, we need a big session first up taking 5 wickets to make up for the poor effort today. 

40 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

It's evolved over this series until yesterday evening when they were too lax and left the door slightly ajar for Australia when it really should have been slammed shut with them chasing over 400.

Going into the series England had gotten massively carried away by their own hype and those first two matches were a big reality check.

Edited by Ewood Ace

2 hours ago, Gav said:

Where have you been for the past 15 months? 

This side have won 11 tests out of 17 under Stokes as captain, including a historic 3-0 win in Pakistan, which has NEVER been achieved by any England side in the history of cricket. 

It’s a great time to be an English cricket fan.

They drew with NZ and will probably lose this Ashes Series.That's the last 2 series. On that basis your claims seem a little far-fetched.

England currently  are very entertaining---I've never disputed that.

Some tweaking required though don't you agree?

Foakes in for me, replacements for Anderson and Broad required.

Accept that the batting line-up looks very settled but must attach more importance to protecting their wicket at key times.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 2

So this side is going to be the best cricket team of all time now, not just England like you said yesterday? 

That’s better than the Windies of the late 70s and 80s? The Aussies of the 90s/early 2000s?!

How much you been supping, Gav. 😀

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

So this side is going to be the best cricket team of all time now, not just England like you said yesterday? 

That’s better than the Windies of the late 70s and 80s? The Aussies of the 90s/early 2000s?!

Yes---Windies deserve that accolade alright. Absolutely unbeatable at that time.

9 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I know you don’t spend much time on this side of the forum to understand context, but we’ll let you off.

Let me be clear, I was talking about the best English side.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, 47er said:

Some tweaking required though don't you agree?

Foakes in for me, replacements for Anderson and Broad required.

Accept that the batting line-up looks very settled but must attach more importance to protecting their wicket at key times.

Absolutely, we are by no means the finished article, but the signs look good.

With the current line up, built on making quick runs, Foakes doesn’t get in. 

Fair enough, must have misread it.

But to be remotely a hall of fame England Test team let’s see them win a home ashes series first, never mind an away one. And of course ‘they’ won’t, as by the next home one there will be no Anderson, Broad, Woakes, Wood, Ali, Bairstow or Stokes for starters. And Baz himself is a quintessential gun for hire and could be anywhere by then.

(Oh and I’ve posted on this thread for years, not like those that just come out the woodwork for the Ashes).

Edited by Mattyblue