BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] women's euros

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is not a sexist post but really what relevance does the England women's team have on English football? does anyone really care if they win or lose? the England women's team winning the euros won't have any impact on improving the future of the English game because the men's and women's game are two completely different entities. Again this has nothing do with women playing football as I wholeheartedly admire females wanting to get into other sports!!!

I'd dispute that its not sexist because your post seems to imply something only has value if it contributes to the male form of the game. I'm sure there are plenty of female players and fans and probably a few male fans who care about the womens game just purely for what it is.

Personally I find it hard to get enthusiastic about because the pace and technique seems to be on a par with about North West Counties level and I wouldn't watch Darwen v Nelson if it was on TV. Having seen bits of it though whats struck me is the impressive level of sportsmanship in comparison to the mens game. My 2 pet hates, diving and shirt pulling, are a lot less common.

It helps to be more than friends with the manager of the England womens team if you want to get a game for them.

Allegedly.

utter rubbish....i personally know several of the England team and photograph the games on a regular basis. I meet the players in the players lounge and attend press conferences after games.

While it is correct to say that Hope Powell isn't overly popular with some players in the game, to say somethink like that is just un-informed rubbish.

The players are on central contracts and have to agree to certain conditions - such as being available for all training camps, fitness testing, media appearances etc.

Katie Chapman had to retire from playing for England because she couldn't arrange sufficient child care arrangements. She had to drop out of the Cyprus Cup for this reason. Hope is very demanding of the players and relies on the tried and tested players like Aluko and Williams.

England haven't had a natural goalscorer since Karen Walker, that is the problem. Playing one up front is very difficult for Ellen White as players aren't getting into the box to support the forward. Natasha Dowie hasn't been picked for a number of reason's (very similar player to White). Nobody is talking about why Rachel Williams was left out of the squad.

The most gifted player in England is Katie Anderton, she dropped out of the England set-up at 18. England would be a far better team if Katie had been playing for the team over the last 10 years.

She is the most gifted player of her generation and has scored 197 goals for her club. She has an attitude and the FA blazers dont like that..

People aren't aware of her because she plays for Blackburn Rovers and not Arsenal (she rejected them a few years ago). Hope will know when it's time for her to stand down and that might be after these championships. One thing for sure, she'll have a big say in who takes over.

Personally I find it hard to get enthusiastic about because the pace and technique seems to be on a par with about North West Counties level and I wouldn't watch Darwen v Nelson if it was on TV. Having seen bits of it though whats struck me is the impressive level of sportsmanship in comparison to the mens game. My 2 pet hates, diving and shirt pulling, are a lot less common.

That's my take on it. No disrespect meant to the girls but whenever I caught in on the box the standard of play was quite amateurish. I wouldn't enjoy watching a game like that whether the players have ovaries or not.

the target market for women's football isn't your middle-aged male football fan, it's aimed at families and teenage girls, to give them their own role models to look upto. I just wish Rovers had took the WSL seriously, as the club would have the entire county as a catchment area. The way i look at it, the players can do what i can't, they are far better than I'd ever hope to be.

it's a different game from Men's football. I prefer it to men's football, photography has taken me away from the Pro game in the last few years, so Rovers on a Sunday is when I get to watch my team play......it's the same shirt, same badge., same club.....it's just a shame we had Paul Agnew. Venky's could have invested a relatively small amount of money and got a team in the WSL.

Manchester City are putting in £750,000 a season and the fans will have some football to watch next summer.

Those England players have had to sacrifice alot over the years to play for England, some have had to give up careers or change jobs and still fit in the training required. Equality hasn't reached football yet.

One Rovers player paid £3000 to travel to training and games last year, she was rewarded with a full Wales cap at 18.

Appeal failed. Watch the women's footy show on I player from a couple of weeks ago if its still available. Daughter has a piece on the belles has a piece on it there.

Rovers Ladies had a small part to play in Daughter's career a few years ago. The appeal failed due to not having 1st dibs on the Keepmoat. Rovers weren't even allowed to apply due to the Seperate Legal Entity rule.

Guest Norbert

Perhaps this could be an interesting post for someone with professional managerial experience in the men's game. Assuming Hope stands down. The pay will be low, but you'd still be your country's manager and you'd get the chance to leave a real legacy and improve standards.

Norbert, the person you are referring to is Marcus Bignot (Walsall, Crewe, QPR etc), who is the current football consultant at Birmingham City Ladies.

A very familar ex-pro, ex-rovers is rumoured to have applied for the Rovers job and didn't get it. I'm a big advocate for ex-pros to get involved in coaching in the women's game. Rovers get textbook coaches who have never played.

The next England manager is likely to come from within, either Brent Hills or Mo Marley (U19 coach).

I'd prefer Rick Passmoor from Lincoln/Notts County myself, but he'd upset a few. The ideal candidate is Pia Sundhage, manager of Sweden, as she's the best in the business..

Guest Norbert

I wasn't reffering to anyone really. I just thought it would be a role for someone like Shteve McClaren or Glenn Hoddle to take on. Nowhere near the pressure of a top club or country, and the space to implement their ideas.

Guest Norbert

I could make a joke here, but it may be offensive to our female members............

They need a manager who has been at a much higher level, which it must be said is the men's professional game, and a good goalie coach. Steve Coppell perhaps?

Looks like England out now 2-0

They interviewed USA womens manager at half time, he is scottish, now how about Steve Kean for new England manager.

Wee Stevie would be licking his lips if he got that job. :blink:

"We'll take the positives and crack off."

Archived