BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] women's euros

this is not a sexist post but really what relevance does the England women's team have on English football? does anyone really care if they win or lose? the England women's team winning the euros won't have any impact on improving the future of the English game because the men's and women's game are two completely different entities. Again this has nothing do with women playing football as I wholeheartedly admire females wanting to get into other sports!!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not really sure of your point, who is saying that the women's team will have an impact on the future of English football? Maybe the media like the BBC are talking it up, but I don't know many girls who play who have aspirations to be as famous as fellas. They play for England cos they're the best girls we have, in the same way that the fellas play for England cos they're the best we have (well most of the time).

Maybe the future of the english game is female :P cos the fellas are crap!

Well it might be if we get rid of Hope Powell, can't stand her for some reason.

One thing I've noticed, the defending and goalkeeping is horrendous in women's football!

Also, has Hope Powell got the safest job in football or what?!? She hasn't done anything for ages and gets praised as some magician by the media! I wonder if she also has an agent in high power. *cough* Lord of the dance.

One thing I've noticed, the defending and goalkeeping is horrendous in women's football!

Also, has Hope Powell got the safest job in football or what?!? She hasn't done anything for ages and gets praised as some magician by the media! I wonder if she also has an agent in high power. *cough* Lord of the dance.

She's like a female Stuart Pearce....doesn't do owt but can't get rid! Was watching before and they were all talking about how this is our best chance of winning ever, but like the fellas we've flattered to deceive.

England's current goalie isn't right good, we've had better.

Talking about ladies, I was under the impression that Rovers team was being disbanded bla bla bla. Well it seems we've got new managers and are now going to play at AFC Darwen.

What relevance does it have to English football?

Strange question. Women are allowed to play football, it's OK, they won't get an attack of the vapours, or start scrubbing the penalty box. It's a valid sport for them to pursue and they can quite easily co-exist with the men's football team with no problems. I'd also have no problems with at least watching one match, if only for the novelty value. Who knows, maybe the women will prove to be more robust than the men and will shame some footballers into stopping rolling around like they've been shot.

Good luck to them.

watched sweden the other night, played some good stuff.

my daughter used to play when she was younger for rhyddings school

they had a good team. she got crocked with the previous england goalie

who went to st christophers in accy. rachael brown aka chicken.

its about time hope powell was given the boot shes dun nowt for years.

watched sweden the other night, played some good stuff.

my daughter used to play when she was younger for rhyddings school

they had a good team. she got crocked with the previous england goalie

who went to st christophers in accy. rachael brown aka chicken.

its about time hope powell was given the boot shes dun nowt for years.

Rachael Brown was decent, although I always remember watching a docu with her in and she said that her goalkeeping inspiration was David James. Bloody no hope for her if that's the case!

Roverandout,

I'm not sure of the point you are trying to make here. Are you suggesting that Victoria Pendleton has no impact on cycling; that Paula Radcliffe has not had an impact on marathon running; Rebecca Adlington has not had an impact on swimming?

Generally speaking most sports have men & women competing on parallel lines but rarely crossing. The only example I can think of off the top of my head is various equestrian events and mixed doubles in the likes of tennis and badminton.

So what question are you asking exactly?

BTW, agree 100% with Bryan: not only the lack of rolling around, but no histrionics over who gets the throw-in; the 10 yards for the free kick; & the wonderful lack of cynicism.

FourFourTwo once ran an article that woman's football was real popular in about the 1910s and 20s, unsure of the exact date and so it was quashed by the powers that were, the FA.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/feb/11/newsstory.womensfootball

I've come across some really big fans of the women's game.

Daughter has an article on the BBCwebsite on the same topic. The men stopped them playing and it's only in the last 40 years or so that the games taken off in Britain again. The point of showing the euros and the current BBC interest in the women's game is that if you can get more coverage then your sport generally grows. The impact is not on the men's game in England but on the whole idea of getting people out and active, especially young girls, who are not generally active enough in their teens. Anything that promotes a sport and makes it accessible is good for the health and wellbeing of young people. Agree Hope Powell is not good enough though, although its not long since it was suggested she could manage a men's team in the lower leagues.

• Backroom

If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports. Like hot-oil wrestling, foxy-boxing and such-and-such.

If the Bible has taught us nothing else, and it hasn't, it's that girls should stick to girls sports. Like hot-oil wrestling, foxy-boxing and such-and-such.

....and that many of the "girls" are playing premier league football!

Amazing thinking in 2013!

In response to a couple of posts I have to say that the standard of goalkeeping in the womens game is improving very rapidly - if you think it's dodgy now you should have seen it ten years ago! That said, I've never been 100% convinced by Bardsley, I sometimes get the impression that she gets picked because she's tall rather than because she's a particularly top shot stopper (that said, you couldn't watch England, men or women, without fearing an impending GK howler at any moment, that's half the fun...)

I've watched a lot of the tournament, and I'm enjoying it.

Hopeless Powell has to go but appears to be untouchable.

Heard some pretty unsavoury stuff about her from a trusted friend as well, would appear that some 'personal issues in the changing room' (use your imagination) have led to certain players being ostracised.

Hopeless Powell has to go but appears to be untouchable.

Heard some pretty unsavoury stuff about her from a trusted friend as well, would appear that some 'personal issues in the changing room' (use your imagination) have led to certain players being ostracised.

Has she got a finger in a few pies then?

Has she got a finger in a few pies then?

That's a pretty good euphemism there Bryan. Let's just say if Ms Powell liked the look of your pie but you weren't for sharing it with her, you'd end up 'injured'.

I don't think Rooney is Moyes's type to be fair!!

Just relaying what I've been told from trusted friends who know the womens football set up.

Obviously when I say the players who wouldn't play ball got 'injured' I don't mean physically, just a figure of speech for suddenly not needed.

I don't think Rooney is Moyes's type to be fair!!

Just relaying what I've been told from trusted friends who know the womens football set up.

Obviously when I say the players who wouldn't play ball got 'injured' I don't mean physically, just a figure of speech for suddenly not needed.

What?

Archived