BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lampard Greatest Footballer in the BPL era

neekoy

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/chelsea/id/1525/frank-lampard-the-greatest-footballer-of-the-premier-league-era?cc=3436

Oh, ok.....

1. Ronaldo

2. Henry

3. Giggs

4. Bergkamp

5. Shearer

6. Scholes

7. Schmeichel

8. Drogba

9. Cantona

10. Keane

11. Viera

12. Makelele

13. Desailly

14. Adams

15. Le Tissier

16. Van Der Sar

17. Friedel

18. Zola

19. Lampard

20. Gerrard

Where so these guys come up with this stuff

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is that's your list then the first thing I would argue against is Van Der Sar over Seaman and Given.

As for Lampard being the best ever PL player? He's not even the best English CM to have played in the PL. That would be Scholes.

Nonsense. A top-flight goalie should be a good shot stopper as standard and that's why Given always looked good behind Newcastle's leaky defence. The real top-goalies may only have one or two saves to make, as Van Der Sar did. Unlike Given, he could command his box, organise a defence and distribute the ball on either foot. Schmeichel was a bigger character than VDS but there wasn't much between them as goalies.

Seaman was alright but messed up too often in big games. Thought Nigel Martyn was better myself...

Is that's your list then the first thing I would argue against is Van Der Sar over Seaman and Given.

As for Lampard being the best ever PL player? He's not even the best English CM to have played in the PL. That would be Scholes.

Since Friedel is listed below Van Der Sar, that seems an odd observation. Friedel is definitely better than either Seaman or Given. IMO a bit better than Van Der Sar too.

WTF is the BPL? The EPL is just as bad a phrase (americanised gobbledygook)

It's bad enough that we know have people referring to 'offensive players'. Cantona was the last one who truly offended me. And the use of 'assist' instead of the correct term "He was set up by......."

It's The Premier League.

It's bad enough that we know have people referring to 'offensive players'. Cantona was the last one who truly offended me. And the use of 'assist' instead of the correct term "He was set up by......."

It's The Premier League.

Totally agree - I suspect the 'B' in this instance might stand for Barclays. They are simply the latest sponsor so even that would be incorrect in the context of 'greatest ever player', which spans all sponsorship periods.

There is no reasonable way of comparing players in different positions/eras

The best you can say is Lampard is one of the top midfielders in the prem.

But its all opinions and to be honest I wouldn't say he was the best.

He is English which straight away means he gets alot of press for every goal/assist.

He is a very good player but he has been lucky to be pared with some very good players.

Don't forget when he and Gerrard were together it was a mess.

If I had to pick the greatest prem player it would be Henry, with Shearer behind him but that doesn't make it so; just my opinion.

Depends how you wanna look at it, I always prefer to approach these things from a statistical perspective. Statistically Lampard is one of the best, whilst players like Cantona and Bergkamp are over-rated (in terms of their PL contributions). In terms of how good a player is full stop, I agree with your top 7 except I'd have Keane in for Schmeichel.

It's The Premier League.

Or first division!

For me the great players are ones that almost win games by themselves, I don't think you'd find many games where Lampard has been the stand-out game winner for Chelsea. There will be some, but not nearly as many as Henry, Giggs, Shearer, Ronaldo, Scholes (in no particular order).

There is no reasonable way of comparing players in different positions/eras

The best you can say is Lampard is one of the top midfielders in the prem.

But its all opinions and to be honest I wouldn't say he was the best.

He is English which straight away means he gets alot of press for every goal/assist.

He is a very good player but he has been lucky to be pared with some very good players.

Don't forget when he and Gerrard were together it was a mess.

If I had to pick the greatest prem player it would be Henry, with Shearer behind him but that doesn't make it so; just my opinion.

I kind of like this.

It seems about all of the names mentioned are those who attack with a few goalkeepers and there, Keane.

This article is speaking about the Premier League but England's defenders have actually done exceedingly well. I'd have to say they have had some of the best defenders in the world since the conception of the Premier League. England have not fared poorly internationally because of poor defending in general imho.

Michael Owen got hurt a lot but was very good and the other usuals too could go on that list, personal opinions aside.

Or first division!

Or The Football League if you go back far enough.

There is no such thing as the EPL. Just as there is no such thing as the English FA. And a striker is not offensive. He's an attacker. And it's a set-up and not an assist.................bloody Yanks

Archived