BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Real SAS

Stuart

So SkyEM Sports have taken it upon themselves to re-christen the two lads at Liverpool, Suarez and Sturridge, the SAS.

Given that we where the pioneers of The Real SAS (unless someone remembers an earlier incarnation), it sticks in the craw a bit but it sounds like a good pub debate (for the neutral) or even between Liverpool and Rovers fans.

So who was/is the best combo?

Shearer and Sutton or

Suarez and Sturridge

For me, Shearer will always be way above Suarez (doing the comparison that way) but is it a closer match between Sutton and Sturridge?

Presumably the best fantasy combination would be Shearer and Suarez, but could they have played together? Again, from my perspective I reckon that Shearer could have played alongside anyone.

Thoughts?

• Backroom

If I was going to rate the four strikers it'd probably go something like Shearer - Suarez - Sturridge - Sutton. All great talents but I think Sutton would have struggled in the modern day prem, whereas Shearer would have still been fantastic.

No comparison. The current SAS could stand for S*** and Scouse.

Shearer and Sutton won the league. Will the present incarnation? In my opinion, no.

Also, anyone who saw Sutton play for Celtic against us at Ewood, would realise what an outstanding footballer he was. And would have easily cut it in today's Premiership.

Guest Norbert

Again, no debate, our SAS is way ahead. Scouse fans may come across this and laugh at us, but has Suarez won the league and scored 30+ goals in 3 consecutive seasons? And did either Shearer or Sutton spend 20 odd games banned for racial abuse and biting a player like a petulent 4 year old? Finally, Sturridge is nowhere near the talent of Shearer, or Sutton who became a bit of a utility player for Celtic. He's good, but not brilliant.

Again, no debate, our SAS is way ahead. Scouse fans may come across this and laugh at us, but has Suarez won the league and scored 30+ goals in 3 consecutive seasons? And did either Shearer or Sutton spend 20 odd games banned for racial abuse and biting a player like a petulent 4 year old? Finally, Sturridge is nowhere near the talent of Shearer, or Sutton who became a bit of a utility player for Celtic. He's good, but not brilliant.

Sutton became kind of a utility player for Celtic because he was that good of a footballer, he could play in midfield or defence to a very high standard, particularly the former. Bearing in mind this was in Europe sometimes, not just the Scottish league.

Of course he could play in today's premier league, he was a fantastic player. I know you didn't say he couldn't by the way.

Sutton became kind of a utility player for Celtic because he was that good of a footballer, he could play in midfield or defence to a very high standard, particularly the former. Bearing in mind this was in Europe sometimes, not just the Scottish league.

Of course he could play in today's premier league, he was a fantastic player. I know you didn't say he couldn't by the way.

Sutton was a top player in his hey day. He had a great all round game. The only thing he lacked was a bit of pace and maybe a better attitude.

Sutton was a top player in his hey day. He had a great all round game. The only thing he lacked was a bit of pace and maybe a better attitude.

His attitude really was bad. I remember seeing him in a hotel hours after we lost to Bolton in an fa cup game.

Him and a few others with him really opened my eyes to how little the players actually care about results at times

His attitude really was bad. I remember seeing him in a hotel hours after we lost to Bolton in an fa cup game.

Him and a few others with him really opened my eyes to how little the players actually care about results at times

I dont remember that game could have been our last apearance at Burnden ? It was a league game ..

Not sure Sutton played in that game , Shearer did and Matty Holmes scored !

and we all got wet through on the embankment ..

I dont remember that game could have been our last apearance at Burnden ? It was a league game ..

Not sure Sutton played in that game , Shearer did and Matty Holmes scored !

and we all got wet through on the embankment ..

I've slept a good few times since then, so there is a good chance it may not have been fa cup.

Was late on in Hodgsons spell as manager

Archived