BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Leeds United preview

I would say he is the best player we have in terms of creating something out of nothing - taking on players, dribbling through a crowd of players keeping the ball close to him etc. But another big strength he has is that he talks to the younger players around him - co-ordinating and settling the likes of Rhodes, Taylor, King, Cairney. All in all we have nobody else like him (or even close.)

I think Bowyer is dead right to play him for 60 minutes per game - if it means we get a couple more games out of him over the course of a season. I don't know the sports science bit - but I would imagine when players get tired they are more likely to get injured, so knowing what we know about Dunnys record of injuries I would use him sparingly.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some really good debate and well articulated points on this thread. Interesting to note that now everything seems rosy again, whereas a week ago promotion was a dim and distant laughable prospect.

Firstly, from the game itself - an excellent result. Leeds were in good form winning their last 3 games, and scoring freely. So for us to beat them is a really great result. Kudos for the Taylor move working - credit to Bowyer on this, as with other games, he's shown some good promise of tactical nous. The real proof of the pudding will be doing it mid-game when it is not working. When we see those type of masterstrokes then, then we'll know we've a good 'un on our hands. But encouraging nevertheless.

Onto the player debate. Agree that Lowe does a valuable function in the team. If left to do that, he'll be an asset. When people want him to do more - he'll struggle. Let's keep a formation and a team which allows Lowe to do what he does best, and excel at it.

As for Dann - personally I'm not convinced. It's not his premiership performances which I'm holding against him - but more his twofold weaknesses: 1 he is too easily bullied off the ball and 2 when he makes a gaffe it's usually a huge and costly mistake. They're not too regular, but they're far too common for them not to be considered a part of his game. Now whilst I can appreciate we are a Championship team and therefore won't have complete players - for example Lowe's range of passes and offensive capabilities, King's end product, Dunn's fitness etc. for me center backs in particular must cut out mistakes/not give chances away. So what if they can't pass, have limited technique, lack pace - all of these can be compensated for and aren't critical for the role. Not giving away silly costly errors, and being bullied off the ball easily are however key components of being a center half. Primarily a defender is there to stop goal scoring chances not give them away. So to me, Dann's weaknesses really undermine some of the key functions of his role. He's not terrible, but I do feel given these weaknesses that it significantly harms the team and that we could get someone doing just as good a job for a fraction of the wage.

Interesting to note that now everything seems rosy agek ago promotion was a dim and distant laughable prospect.

One win. A good win but that's all it was. Long long way to go an plenty of ups and downs but I still think we'll fall way short of the playoffs.

Scott Danns is an easily identifiable weakness to Rovers as you point out. Gary Bowyer needs to be offloa

Corry Evans looks a suitable replacement for Jason Lowe more progressive and aggressive than Jason. Though in Dann we dont have a suitable replacement which means Gary Bowyer must go out and search for a higher level experienced centre half to pair with Grant Hanley.

Some really good debate and well articulated points on this thread. Interesting to note that now everything seems rosy again, whereas a week ago promotion was a dim and distant laughable prospect.

Firstly, from the game itself - an excellent result. Leeds were in good form winning their last 3 games, and scoring freely. So for us to beat them is a really great result. Kudos for the Taylor move working - credit to Bowyer on this, as with other games, he's shown some good promise of tactical nous. The real proof of the pudding will be doing it mid-game when it is not working. When we see those type of masterstrokes then, then we'll know we've a good 'un on our hands. But encouraging nevertheless.

Onto the player debate. Agree that Lowe does a valuable function in the team. If left to do that, he'll be an asset. When people want him to do more - he'll struggle. Let's keep a formation and a team which allows Lowe to do what he does best, and excel at it.

As for Dann - personally I'm not convinced. It's not his premiership performances which I'm holding against him - but more his twofold weaknesses: 1 he is too easily bullied off the ball and 2 when he makes a gaffe it's usually a huge and costly mistake. They're not too regular, but they're far too common for them not to be considered a part of his game. Now whilst I can appreciate we are a Championship team and therefore won't have complete players - for example Lowe's range of passes and offensive capabilities, King's end product, Dunn's fitness etc. for me center backs in particular must cut out mistakes/not give chances away. So what if they can't pass, have limited technique, lack pace - all of these can be compensated for and aren't critical for the role. Not giving away silly costly errors, and being bullied off the ball easily are however key components of being a center half. Primarily a defender is there to stop goal scoring chances not give them away. So to me, Dann's weaknesses really undermine some of the key functions of his role. He's not terrible, but I do feel given these weaknesses that it significantly harms the team and that we could get someone doing just as good a job for a fraction of the wage.

As a minor irritant, when the Leeds keeper came up for those corners on the 90th minute, DJ was lurking just outside our area but GB appeared to wave him back into defence resulting in 22 players inside our own penalty area thereby inviting extra pressure on ourselves.

When the keeper came up I don't know why we didn't promptly order DJ onto the half way line meaning Leeds would have had to have left at least 2 defenders back and possibly the keeper would have had to retreat as well.

A point that I made at the time. At that stage they would prob have used only one to mark him but what good is the diminutive DJ in trying to mark opponents for corner kicks? Far better to plonk him in the centre circle and if the chance arises to leather it over his head for him to run on to.

I have made this point several times this season where invariably we bring everybody back for the opposition corners. The exception to this was at Burnley when Todd Kane went up front. Surely as the home team we should be leaving at least two up, preferably King would be one of them to try and capitalise on his pace.

Why 2 when we are 1-0 up in the dying seconds?

Certainly, I will never forget the forlorn, isolated figure of Mark Atkins trudging from the field after his desperate own goal against Liverpool in the FA Cup. It gives me great pleasure to think that a few short years later, he had a premiership winners medal in his pocket.

It was the bloody ball girl's fault wasn't it?

• Backroom

I would normally leave king forward on corners he is a bit rash at the back and the one player that will get past a man and possibly result in a last ditch foul and a red card should we get a chance to counter

When he went on that run in the 2nd half he'd have scored but for fatigue in my opinion

Nah.... he simply overran the ball.

Depending on the opposition a general rule could be that Dunny does the first 60 at home and the final 30 away if needed.

A point that I made at the time. At that stage they would prob have used only one to mark him but what good is the diminutive DJ in trying to mark opponents for corner kicks? Far better to plonk him in the centre circle and if the chance arises to leather it over his head for him to run on to.

Why 2 when we are 1-0 up in the dying seconds?

It was the bloody ball girl's fault wasn't it?

It was more of a generalisation than specifically pertaining to Saturday but the same logic would apply. Coaches always want a spare man back on offensive corners. Keeping two (or three) up front would certainly surprise the opposition. I vaguely remember seeing this recently and their opponents didn't know whether to stick or twist.

It was more of a generalisation than specifically pertaining to Saturday but the same logic would apply. Coaches always want a spare man back on offensive corners. Keeping two (or three) up front would certainly surprise the opposition. I vaguely remember seeing this recently and their opponents didn't know whether to stick or twist.

Jose does this alot. Infact sometimes he leaves 3 up there forcing them to bring 4 back. It really is a game of cat and mouse and during the game worth trying, but not in injury time when leading

Are people figuring out the big big difference between 1st team and the ressies/youth? Bowyers spent years developing players and results aren't so important as long as the players grow. Now though it's win at all costs and Bowyer must up his game tactically, where as before it wasn't a key factor now it's the be all and end all.

He needs to start showing it in the match now, that he can see how to change the game to our benefit. We've seen he can do it with success with Bournemouth away as you said with preperation, now he needs to work on that during the game itself.

Bowyer change tactics during the game.

against Boro, Bowyer move King up front and move Judge from the hole to the left wing.

we seen him changed tactics against Leeds again by moving King, Taylor and Dunn around.

good to see him doing this now

Nah.... he simply overran the ball.

Depending on the opposition a general rule could be that Dunny does the first 60 at home and the final 30 away if needed.

If anything he underran the ball - as it was behind him, and he struggled to get it properly in front of him. Not certain if it was the pitch - or just a symptom of his fatigue.

Bowyer change tactics during the game.

against Boro, Bowyer move King up front and move Judge from the hole to the left wing.

we seen him changed tactics against Leeds again by moving King, Taylor and Dunn around.

good to see him doing this now

Thanks for quoting me.

Thanks for quoting me.

;)

He needs to improve in this aspect Chaddy as this is the first real evidence of him being able to change a game now he's the boss. We're still in the chasing pack of the play-offs and slim hope is better than none and whilst it's OK saying players need to get better, but so does GB. His subs have surprised me for a while and I would like to see him try the first move in that aspect especially at home as even on Sat he didn't use all three. It's a long season and fitness and pitch time are important for players/squads from many an aspect.

• Backroom

We won the match so I don't think it's necessary to try and pick holes in Bowyer's substitutions Saturday. There have been other times when it hasn't worked out, but it's not like we've had a wealth of talent on the bench is it? Now that the likes of Dunn, Rochina, Kilgallon, Taylor etc are all pushing for places we might see better use of subs.

So is GB now joining Rhodes as above critic?

Do the top managers save a sub in case some one gets injured?

The lack of talent on the bench was signed by whom? Does he not have faith in his own signings?

We cannot play the same every 3 days, you're all talking about the play-offs but if we get there and are fatigued because we never rest players, well we'll just be at a disadvantage. Football is a marathon, staged it's no good being at the front if you can't maintain it through every stage.

Cant believe the usual crew where chanting for Rochina to be brought on in the final 20mins or so, that would have been the worst move we could have made when our top priority in the 2nd half was to keep hold of the ball, play relatively safe and obviously not concede.

Don't get me wrong id love to see rochina do his stuff but only when the time is right.

Cant believe the usual crew where chanting for Rochina to be brought on in the final 20mins or so, that would have been the worst move we could have made when our top priority in the 2nd half was to keep hold of the ball, play relatively safe and obviously not concede.

Don't get me wrong id love to see rochina do his stuff but only when the time is right.

He does need minutes on the pitch though, like you say possibly not the right situation to do it unless he took rhodes off and played rochina up front maybe

People criticising the lack of a 3rd substitution.. really?

If GB would've made a sub and we conceded, he would of been blamed for changing a winning team.

I think people mentioning the lack of talent was in previous games when injuries/suspensions were more of a big issue - No Dunn/Rochina/DJ/Evans etc

With more coming back he should have more options - should he see fit to use them. I'm sure if we were losing or drawing I'm sure GB would of looked to the bench more prominently.

• Backroom

People criticising the lack of a 3rd substitution.. really?

If GB would've made a sub and we conceded, he would of been blamed for changing a winning team.

I think people mentioning the lack of talent was in previous games when injuries/suspensions were more of a big issue - No Dunn/Rochina/DJ/Evans etc

With more coming back he should have more options - should he see fit to use them. I'm sure if we were losing or drawing I'm sure GB would of looked to the bench more prominently.

Some people seem to think the guy who up until last year was our reserve team manager should now basically be the perfect manager making world class game-changing substitutions and rotating players and formations constantly to bamboozle the opposition (never mind it'd more likely confuse our own players).

You'd think we were bottom of the league ffs. Considering the budget limitations and total lack of boardroom support Bowyer is doing a magnificent job. As far as I'm concerned he is showing continual improvement from game to game and as players come back from injury we will see much better use of squad rotation and substitutions.

Some people seem to think the guy who up until last year was our reserve team manager should now basically be the perfect manager making world class game-changing substitutions and rotating players and formations constantly to bamboozle the opposition (never mind it'd more likely confuse our own players).

You'd think we were bottom of the league ffs. Considering the budget limitations and total lack of boardroom support Bowyer is doing a magnificent job. As far as I'm concerned he is showing continual improvement from game to game and as players come back from injury we will see much better use of squad rotation and substitutions.

For me, Bowyer is doing an OK job. Unfortunately he's not responsible generally for the wage bill. If what we are still spending correlates to success, we'd be a shoe in for promotion. Unfortunately we're all aware that isn't the case.

If only the clock could be turned back, Murphy, Etuhu, Rhodes (for £8 million), Best and the Portugeuesers wouldn't have been signed. I guess that lot including agents and transfer fees and salaries would amount to what, £65 million?

No point harping on over that lot but unfortunately GB and us are left with the legacy.

Given that level of investment and a duty of care for the future of BRFC, the likes of the most avid Claret couldn't have done a better job. In fairness the Venkymob have stumped up the brass, where it's gone and why is what's both wrong and buggers belief.

You're doing exactly the same here as you have done with Rhodes.

Archived