BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Back Or Sack?

Guest Wen Y Hu

Back Or Sack  

394 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gary Bowyer continue as manager of Blackburn Rovers?

• No, he should be sacked immediately.
    • Yes, but replace him at the end of the season.
    • Yes, but give him to the end of the season and then review his position.
    • Yes, he should receive full backing to manage next season.
    • I'm not sure.

Yoda, to some extent Jimmy is right. Look at the club's history prior to Jack taking over. Between 1936 and 1992 we spent far more seasons outside of the top flight than in it. Jack's money changed that and allowed us to mix it with the best. The Trust kept it going so that we were comfortable in midtable in the top flight and had a decent record in cups and some European adventures. You are correct in saying that the Rao family have completely destroyed that. Sadly, I suspect it will take a generation or more to overcome the legacy of the clowns in pune - if we ever do.

And that was when Football had some degree of 'level-playing field' about it Parson. In the modern game when money talks, unfortunately Blackburn are on an equal footing to the rest of this sack of @#/? we find ourselves playing every single week. As I mentioned we could go either way. We could enjoy a Hull type season and return to the PL, or even an extraordinary Burnley season (doubtful without a top manager like Dyche, and some incredible luck), but we could just as easily slide out of sight like Sheff Utd, Bradford, Portsmouth, Charlton, Sheff Wed (all former PL clubs) .... and find ourselves fluttering around League One.

The only advantage we hold is the superb facilities left by Jack's legacy. Wonder if we'll still have that when the Raos eventually turn out the lights.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point is changing your key players, tactics and management season upon season will have a negative impact. We kept the best of the lot in Rhodes and a few of the others, but that is a massive squad upheaval which will take time to bed together (if it ever does!) Don't underestimate the impact large "in's and out's" can have on a football club.

I think you make a very good point...not just on a football club..any organisation.

Even just thinking of Lowe and Hanley. Off the top of my head ( including Eric Black and Bowyer twice) I counted at least six changes in "manager"/ person selecting the team and planning the strategy for them. Each will have brought different expectations..That's before what must be a record "churn" of playing colleagues and probable disruptive impact of the overpaid malcontents in the building.

I know I really did guffaw at the "Join our Push for Stability" slogan, but it would take some skill to manage all that .

I do not seek to minimise concerns about tactics etc, but the above plus injuries adds up to a particularly difficult hand for Bowyer to play.

Yoda, to some extent Jimmy is right. Look at the club's history prior to Jack taking over. Between 1936 and 1992 we spent far more seasons outside of the top flight than in it. Jack's money changed that and allowed us to mix it with the best. The Trust kept it going so that we were comfortable in midtable in the top flight and had a decent record in cups and some European adventures. You are correct in saying that the Rao family have completely destroyed that. Sadly, I suspect it will take a generation or more to overcome the legacy of the clowns in pune - if we ever do.

The Trust didn't really keep it going though did they? That's why we lost Hughes. They wanted out and ceased investing.

Why narrow it down to 1936 to 1992 to make a point, we were founded in 1875, in any case during the period you used we had some moments at different levels, I would suggest at all times we had respect, you don't get that by being mediocre

Not sure how much "respect" we had and from where it came when we were in Div 3 getting beat by the like of Rochdale and Torquay

Or in the 1980's when gates fell below 5,000 as Bob Saxton didn't have a penny to spend

Apart from that loyal band of fans there wasn't that much respect in our home town, never mind anywhere else. There were times when you felt almost a social misfit for continuing to do your civic duty and supporting the club

Well our full league member status continued for a good few years after we had been relegated to the 3rd, unprecedented at the time I believe

The Trust didn't really keep it going though did they? That's why we lost Hughes. They wanted out and ceased investing.

Invest

To put (money) into financial schemes, shares, property, or a commercial venture with the expectation of achieving a profit.

''The Trust didn't really keep it going though did they? That's why we lost Hughes. They wanted out and....limited their throwing of money into the bottomless pit that is modern day football, whilst ensuring BRFC remained a successful Premier League Club under their supervision.''

Best not to re-write history 47er.

Invest

To put (money) into financial schemes, shares, property, or a commercial venture with the expectation of achieving a profit.

''The Trust didn't really keep it going though did they? That's why we lost Hughes. They wanted out and....limited their throwing of money into the bottomless pit that is modern day football, whilst ensuring BRFC remained a successful Premier League Club under their supervision.''

Best not to re-write history 47er.

People forget that it was JW himself that stopped writing cheques

Well our full league member status continued for a good few years after we had been relegated to the 3rd, unprecedented at the time I believe

We didn't have Full League Member status between 1971 and 1975. I remember Bill Westall doing an excellent article about it following relegation in 1970-71 in the old 'Blackburn Times'. We regained it with the Third Division Championship in May 1975. Meadows is bang on with his description of how things were when the crowds fell below 5,000. Seems some have forgotten or weren't there to remember in the first place.

We didn't have Full League Member status between 1971 and 1975. I remember Bill Westall doing an excellent article about it following relegation in 1970-71 in the old 'Blackburn Times'. We regained it with the Third Division Championship in May 1975. Meadows is bang on with his description of how things were when the crowds fell below 5,000. Seems some have forgotten or weren't there to remember in the first place.

I remember those years and "the social misfit thing" only too well as well as the stigma of losing full member status. In those dark days of exile Furphy really seemed like a Messiah.

I think it is different this time because the decline is more sudden and has been directly instigated by the club's own owners from a position of premiership (relative) security.

It seems so much worse because the legacy has been stolen by agents and peed away by neglectful, absent landlords..

I would like to see that article, my memory is that we did not lose it straight away. Even when the crowds fell the ones still there, well me and my friends always backed the team to the hilt. Don't disagree with what was happening result wise on the pitch but in football we were still considered a proper football club, this I think helped us attract the managers we did, to help get us back up the league

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/11089880._/

Admitedly I've robbed the below definition from Wikipedia

Sport science is a discipline that studies the application of treatment and prevention of injuries related to sports medicine. The study of sport science traditionally incorporates areas of physiology, psychology, and biomechanics but also includes other topics such as nutrition and diet.

Sport scientists and performance consultants are growing in demand and employment numbers, with the ever-increasing focus within the sporting world on achieving the best results possible. Through the study of science and sport, researchers have developed a greater understanding on how the human body reacts to exercise, training, different environments and many other stimuli.

Not sure how much "respect" we had and from where it came when we were in Div 3 getting beat by the like of Rochdale and Torquay

Or in the 1980's when gates fell below 5,000 as Bob Saxton didn't have a penny to spend

Apart from that loyal band of fans there wasn't that much respect in our home town, never mind anywhere else. There were times when you felt almost a social misfit for continuing to do your civic duty and supporting the club

I worried for the club at that time. Gates were disastrous. Tough times indeed. Good for Bob Saxton to get a mention now and then. I might be wrong but I was sure we got less than 4000 for a midweek game.

People forget that it was JW himself that stopped writing cheques

He had written too many for Harford, Hodgson, Kidd and latterly Souness no doubt. I imagine the expensive and very ordinary talents of Christain Dailly, Nathan Blake, Ashley Ward, Darren Peacock, Per Frandsen and Martin Dahlin, Greer, Davidson and numerous others dissuaded him from chucking endless millions down the swanny. Paying millions in inflated fees and wages for those shiftless nonentities would certainly have had me heading for the exit door.

I remember those years and "the social misfit thing" only too well as well as the stigma of losing full member status. In those dark days of exile Furphy really seemed like a Messiah.

I think it is different this time because the decline is more sudden and has been directly instigated by the club's own owners from a position of premiership (relative) security.

It seems so much worse because the legacy has been stolen by agents and peed away by neglectful, absent landlords..

Indeed so Leonard. At least the old Directors although powerless to stop the 60's and 70's decline were die hard BRFC fans. Those responsible for our recent demise can never ever claim to be anything other than western loving egotists and base chancers. Worst bit is that myself and a good number who were old enough to rem the dark days were never sucked in by the tonnes of bullsh1t heaped on the supporters and predicted a return to the wilderness happening all over again right from the off. We knew how difficult it is to get out of these divisions and that our Prem status could never be taken for granted but were powerless to stop the lunatic charge down the division. It was like watching a slow motion car crash with your nearest and dearest in it.

I worried for the club at that time. Gates were disastrous. Tough times indeed. Good for Bob Saxton to get a mention now and then. I might be wrong but I was sure we got less than 4000 for a midweek game.

Average home attendances : -

1970/71 Old Division 2 8334 Relegated

1971/72 3 8256

1972/73 3 9214

1973/74 3 7432

1974/75 3 12651 Promoted

Average attendances weren't quite as bad as I remembered, but there were some shocking 4/5000s

on wet windy Wednesday nights, that's for sure.

The only other season in the 3rd tier was 1979/80 10311.

I still feel quite proud that our 'beloved club' has only spent 5 seasons outside the top 2 divisions, and 72 in the top one.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/11089880._/

Admitedly I've robbed the below definition from Wikipedia

Sport science is a discipline that studies the application of treatment and prevention of injuries related to sports medicine. The study of sport science traditionally incorporates areas of physiology, psychology, and biomechanics but also includes other topics such as nutrition and diet.

Sport scientists and performance consultants are growing in demand and employment numbers, with the ever-increasing focus within the sporting world on achieving the best results possible. Through the study of science and sport, researchers have developed a greater understanding on how the human body reacts to exercise, training, different environments and many other stimuli.

How interesting. :mellow::blink:

........... Now where were we?

Some great memories came flooding back reading some of the posts on here. We sang a song and one of the lines was 'now we're in three it doesn't bother me' and it bloody well did not. I lived in Darwen but went to school in Blackburn and it was almost like you knew everybody. Picking people up for away games on the Ribblesdale coaches at various locations is a great memory and making up songs was one of the highlights. I would honestly go back to those days in a heartbeat if it meant cutting the poison out of our club.

Some great memories came flooding back reading some of the posts on here. We sang a song and one of the lines was 'now we're in three it doesn't bother me' and it bloody well did not. I lived in Darwen but went to school in Blackburn and it was almost like you knew everybody. Picking people up for away games on the Ribblesdale coaches at various locations is a great memory and making up songs was one of the highlights. I would honestly go back to those days in a heartbeat if it meant cutting the poison out of our club.

We've won the cup three times on the run, champions of Division 1, now we're in 3 and up we come, We are the Blackburn Rovers!

I remember Rochdale away one year, all the "coaches" parked up in a line, we counted 36 and there were more arriving, on the way hone the floor boards of the "coach" blew up into the aisle!

We've won the cup three times on the run, champions of Division 1, now we're in 3 and up we come it don't bother me, We are the Blackburn Rovers!

Think that is the correct version

Indeed so Leonard. At least the old Directors although powerless to stop the 60's and 70's decline were die hard BRFC fans. Those responsible for our recent demise can never ever claim to be anything other than western loving egotists and base chancers. Worst bit is that myself and a good number who were old enough to rem the dark days were never sucked in by the tonnes of bullsh1t heaped on the supporters and predicted a return to the wilderness happening all over again right from the off. We knew how difficult it is to get out of these divisions and that our Prem status could never be taken for granted but were powerless to stop the lunatic charge down the division. It was like watching a slow motion car crash with your nearest and dearest in it.

Reminds me of the old definition of mixed emotions..watching your lamborghini going over a cliff with your mother in law at the wheel..

Seriously, you are so right about those directors. OMG...and .to think Bill Fox took so much stick from the die hard fans.I seem to remember the chant " Spend some money or F*** off" coming from the Blackburn End. How the passage of time serves to emphasise that ignorance!!!

On 18 March 1986 we played Brighton at home in the 2nd Division (Championship) and got beat 4-1. There were 3,587 on.

On the final home game of 1983-84 we had 3,107. Still the lowest ever league gate. We had finished 6th at this level! No play-offs then

I think it has to be remembered season tickets in those days were not the norm for most fans, that's why end of season

games were so poorly attended, unless your team had something to play for, same for all clubs.

Some indeed..... but more sh1t ones imo. For someone whose earliest memories were lording in in the top division watching the likes of Duggie, Fred Pick, Andy McEvoy, Mike England, Ronnie, Fergy and Keith Newton the fall was spectaculor, devastating and swift. Coming from that background the wilderness years hit hard. They were demoralising and frustrating. Only a masochist could have really enjoyed the experience.

Reminds me of the old definition of mixed emotions..watching your lamborghini going over a cliff with your mother in law at the wheel..

Seriously, you are so right about those directors. OMG...and .to think Bill Fox took so much stick from the die hard fans.I seem to remember the chant " Spend some money or F*** off" coming from the Blackburn End. How the passage of time serves to emphasise that ignorance!!!

Loved BRFc did Bill, as did Bill Bancroft and Deryck Keighley who sadly died whilst doing a sterling job as Chairman. That Blackburn End small town mentality does my bloody head in! Put admission up in line with inflation and it's like it's the end of the world and those in charge aregreed ridden racketeers.

Coming from...

A good point generally. If you started with the club struggling and got to see good times follow, it's a different mindset to someone who, say, has only ever known Rovers as (barring a couple of years) a Premier League team. Even in out last time in the second tier, we had some great players. Not so much any more.

It's definitely going to affect people's perceptions and expectations.

season tickets were totally unnecessary unless you were a committed fan who wanted to make a saving! There was hardly any prospect of being locked out if you were a casual spectator picking the odd game or not getting your customary spot on the terraces!

For years the price of a ST was equivalent to 1/3 off. If for instance we had 21 home games and admission was £2, your season ticket was 14 x £2 ie £28 instead of £42 paying game by game

Add your reserve team games for free at Ewood and Reserve team football was decent then, it was a bargain. As a young single lad obsessed with footy I wouldn't have dreamed of not having one but a 10,000 gate was a one off then never mind 10,000 season tickets

Remember that seeing the odd star on his way back from injury or dropped to Man U or Liverpool Reserves was quite something to say you might get a decent cup draw once in five years!

I recall loads turning out to give Willie Johnston stick for West Brom stiffs after he had been sent home from Argentina after failing a drugs test with Scotland

The club was so hard up then I remember my dad getting phone calls from directors in the summer asking if he could maybe pay for next years STs a week or two early as there was a big fuel bill due!

They were great times with little or no expectation as a supporter.

Funnily enough I found an old season ticket from 75/76 season in a drawer a few weeks ago, price £6 !

Match Day admission was Ground 65p adults, 30p juveniles &oaps.... Private Box A (the coup de grace) £1.50 !

I remember Rochdale away one year, all the "coaches" parked up in a line, we counted 36 and there were more arriving, on the way hone the floor boards of the "coach" blew up into the aisle!

Think that is the correct version

Cheers yoda, the memory's not what it was.

Never give in go out to win...........never say die we know the time will come to celebrate!

For we are The Rovers...........

Archived