BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Evens Out

Maj, do you think we've had more than our fair share of penalties.

Here's some interesting tables:

Conceded

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/championship/elfmeter/wettbewerb_GB2_2013_b.html

Rovers 3rd

Awarded

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/championship/elfmeter/wettbewerb_GB2_2013_a.html

Rovers 18th

Me being cynical (no Sh.. Sherlock) reads this as - far from being an evening out thing - being down to the approach of the team. With Bowyer's Lowe-centric (sorry) tactics we the game closer to our own goal than the opposition's which means that we are making tackles in our own box more often.

Well after looking at those tables I'd have to say, it clearly doesn't even out.

If your asking me why we concede so many, then I'm afraid I couldn't attribute it to any one thing. But I will say this, science has shown that a multitude of factors both physical and psychological can affect decision making in either a positive or negative manner. The environment, training, nutrition, recovery, physical status, mental status, mood and emotions all influence this aspect. So all I would say is that clearly we are doing something wrong as otherwise we wouldn't concede so many but what it actually is, I cannot say as you need to be there day in, day out. The other aspect is they may just not be good enough between the ears, IE intelligence. For example Hanley seems to not be able to control his emotions at times ala wigan, perhaps someone could help him with that???

• Backroom

I certainly don't think there's any bias against us just inconsistent refs, Rhodes goes down easy so doesn't get a lot of sympathy from refs and we have some rash heads at the back!

Derby had the most blatant penalty I've seen in a long time turned down at Ewood recently

Ironic that some fans were laughing last year about Hanley diving to win a penalty at Millwall last season - maybe they do even out

Thing is, even if the awarding of penalties evens out, the importance of the pens doesn't. If you get a dodgy one at 3-0 up, who cares. Unless goal difference matters then it's unimportant. If you get or concede a dodgy one that affects the result then it's a big issue.

I certainly don't think there's any bias against us just inconsistent refs, Rhodes goes down easy so doesn't get a lot of sympathy from refs and we have some rash heads at the back!

Derby had the most blatant penalty I've seen in a long time turned down at Ewood recently

Ironic that some fans were laughing last year about Hanley diving to win a penalty at Millwall last season - maybe they do even out

There was also the one v Reading where Gunter was booked for diving when I could clearly see Hanley had kicked him over.

I suspect a direct correlation between time spent in opposition penalty areas and penalties gained. The more attacking play you have, the more penalties you will get, thats why United get so many, and why we get so few.

Its frustrating to see Bowyer complaining about penalties, when we should be burying these teams by playing more attacking football, it seems we continually have to go behind in a game before we have a go.

It's may just be that we have slower players than most other teams, quick forwards draw more pens, slow, cumbersome defenders

commit more fouls on quick/tricky forwards.

Noticeable that Leicester, who attack at speed, and have a very offensive style of play, have been awarded the most.

We on the other hand seem to have a very laboured style of attacking.

Archived