BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Academy & U21s

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

How did Travis and Jack Doyle?

Both did OK, agree with RV don't think Jacks first team material just yet, but Travis looks a professional had a solid game without standing out too much.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Who impress apart Nuttall tonight.then?

It was a collective team performance chaddy.

Wolves didn't offer much though to be fair. Put our lot up against the best that there is at this level then we'll see who the men from the boys are.

It was intesting seeing the fitness coach work with the subs at half time plus Joe Rankin Costello. Thought he, the coach, looked fitter than the young lads, which I, suppose is a good sign.

Edited by JAL
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, JAL said:

Charley Doyle looks an interesting character where did he come from thought he had a decent game despite looking like a pub player ?

He is definitely a strange player, he doesn't look like a footballer at all, flat footed, long arms, yet I thought he played quite well.

11 minutes ago, JAL said:

Charley Doyle looks an interesting character where did he come from thought he had a decent game despite looking like a pub player ?

He's come through the Academy - one of the four that they offered pro contracts to at the end of last season.  Can play centre-back or centre midfield.  I believe he is from that part of the world that you are none to keen on!

3 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

He's come through the Academy - one of the four that they offered pro contracts to at the end of last season.  Can play centre-back or centre midfield.  I believe he is from that part of the world that you are none to keen on!

4 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

He is definitely a strange player, he doesn't look like a footballer at all, flat footed, long arms, yet I thought he played quite well.

He reminded me of that Bolton fullback that use to get a loads of stick off the Wanderers fans under Allardyce, can't think of his name. 

Edited by JAL

17 minutes ago, JAL said:

He reminded me of that Bolton fullback that use to get a loads of stick off the Wanderers fans under Allardyce, can't think of his name. 

Nicky Hunt probably 

6 minutes ago, Swanson said:

I tought Joe Grayson was a midfielder?

He was but looks far better with the game in front of him....he can struggle at times with the hussle and bussle of midfield as he is a big unit....it was only a matter of time that he would be asked to play at centre half.....he has all the attributes to do well in this position he is left sided and left sided centre halfs are like hens teeth (rare) he has a great left foot and once he adds real aggression to the powerful build he has it all points to him being a decent prospect....

the only thing that concerns me with him at the minute is he is still learning the role from a defensive point of view and I think he may struggle to cope in a 2 rather than a 3 but the more he plays there the more he will start to grasp his role and there is massive improvement game on game...the lad has a lot to work with in his game which makes him an exciting prospect in his current position

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Doyle has got to be worth a punt over Williams at LB or God forbid, LWB in one of Mowbray's master formations.

He isn't ready. The bloke above you saying Doyle carried out his role to perfection is so unfair on him as it puts unnecessary expectation on him to make the (massive) step up.

Although last night was a good team performance, I specifically went to see if any of the players were good enough to play for the first team at this moment in time, and there was only 2/3 that would even possibly be ready.

Tomlinson doesn't read the game well enough yet and often mistimes his tackles and interceptions, he could do with going out on loan to League 2 for 6 months and get some real games under his belt.

What I will say though, is that we could do worse than giving Damien Johnson the first team job.

2 minutes ago, ruggles1995 said:

Nuttal - 6 goals in 3 games.... From the fans that have gone to watch our academy teams is he worth a shot? not a bad ratio. Obviously in a bit of form.

The lads who have seen him play, will no doubt be in a good position to comment. There is one thing for sure, the step up, is quite often greater than people realise. I do recall us signing a non league striker years ago called Paul McKinnon. He was prolific at none league level and many thought he would make it, be failed miserably at Ewood.

Signed for Slough in the summer of 1991 from Sutton United.

Made 525 appearances for Sutton, scoring 278 goals in the process. McKinnon also played abroad in Sweden playing for Malmo and briefly in the Football League for Blackburn Rovers. Scored 36 times for Slough in his 97 apperances for the Rebels.

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

He isn't ready. The bloke above you saying Doyle carried out his role to perfection is so unfair on him as it puts unnecessary expectation on him to make the (massive) step up.

Although last night was a good team performance, I specifically went to see if any of the players were good enough to play for the first team at this moment in time, and there was only 2/3 that would even possibly be ready.

Tomlinson doesn't read the game well enough yet and often mistimes his tackles and interceptions, he could do with going out on loan to League 2 for 6 months and get some real games under his belt.

What I will say though, is that we could do worse than giving Damien Johnson the first team job.

If you mean by the bloke above you mean me...I'll trust my judgment against yours any day of the week and just to clarify where have I said J, Doyle should be in the 1st team??

none of the young players who played last night are the finished article far from it but I will say the potential is there for them to do well....now that is just potential not the finished article....you need to understand that each player has a role to play he is given specific instructions and the higher up the ladder you go understanding this becomes more and more important ( just look at the 1st team) Mowbray has a point when he says it's not the formation as players need to understand there roles some have a low game IQ it's just the way it is 

football is about levels and until young players are allowed to go through these levels you won't know how good they are....some people get caught up in thinking young players should be ripping it up in the reserves before they should be given their chance in the 1st team...well IMO that's crap not every player plays in a position which allows for that....

even Connor Mahoney didn't rip it up very often for the reserves and he's now in the Prem it will be interesting to see if he can cope at that level given a chance

I have watched many, many youth and reserve matches involving many clubs not just Rovers over numerous years and given a chance some of these lads have the tools to do well and make the step up to the next level and maybe beyond IMO

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SkipDonoghue said:

If you mean by the bloke above you mean me...I'll trust my judgment against yours any day of the week and just to clarify where have I said J, Doyle should be in the 1st team??

none of the young players who played last night are the finished article far from it but I will say the potential is there for them to do well....now that is just potential not the finished article....you need to understand that each player has a role to play he is given specific instructions and the higher up the ladder you go understanding this becomes more and more important ( just look at the 1st team) Mowbray has a point when he says it's not the formation as players need to understand there roles some have a low game IQ it's just the way it is 

football is about levels and until young players are allowed to go through these levels you won't know how good they are....some people get caught up in thinking young players should be ripping it up in the reserves before they should be given their chance in the 1st team...well IMO that's crap not every player plays in a position which allows for that....

even Connor Mahoney didn't rip it up very often for the reserves and he's now in the Prem it will be interesting to see if he can cope at that level given a chance

I have watched many, many youth and reserve matches involving many clubs not just Rovers over numerous years and given a chance some of these lads have the tools to do well and make the step up to the next level and maybe beyond IMO

I'm with RV on Jack Doyle whilst he may have provided width when he was defending just after the first goal the Wolves winger went past him like he wasn't there to create an opportunity for them to score at a higher level we'd be punished for that. On an attacking point Jack Doyle offered nothing so just don't see what he's good at other than standing out wide.

Rovers need to get a game on at Ewood against Chelsea and Man City's respective teams to see where our lads are at.

Edited by JAL

38 minutes ago, ruggles1995 said:

Nuttal - 6 goals in 3 games.... From the fans that have gone to watch our academy teams is he worth a shot? not a bad ratio. Obviously in a bit of form.

The Wolves keeper was nothing special nor his defenders so let see the quality of the opposition rise to form a better opinion.

2 hours ago, SkipDonoghue said:

He was but looks far better with the game in front of him....he can struggle at times with the hussle and bussle of midfield as he is a big unit....it was only a matter of time that he would be asked to play at centre half.....he has all the attributes to do well in this position he is left sided and left sided centre halfs are like hens teeth (rare) he has a great left foot and once he adds real aggression to the powerful build he has it all points to him being a decent prospect....

the only thing that concerns me with him at the minute is he is still learning the role from a defensive point of view and I think he may struggle to cope in a 2 rather than a 3 but the more he plays there the more he will start to grasp his role and there is massive improvement game on game...the lad has a lot to work with in his game which makes him an exciting prospect in his current position

Why was Grayson the last one out at half time after the lads had done their little get together prior to the second half KO, in the middle where they get together then sprint out ......he missed this.

Edited by JAL

27 minutes ago, SkipDonoghue said:

And I will trust my judgement over your's :rolleyes:... your post gave people the impression that Doyle is ready for first team football, he isn't. He didn't carry out his role to perfection, I can't remember one cross he put in or him standing out defensively, that is not perfection. I never said that these lads are the finished article, they aren't, I said that the vast majority aren't ready to play in the first team yet, they aren't. Using Mahoney as an example of someone that has made the step up is poor, he's done nothing in his career to date.

Edited by RV Blue

14 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

And I will trust my judgement over your's :rolleyes:... your post gave people the impression that Doyle is ready for first team football, he isn't. He didn't carry out his role to perfection, I can't remember one cross he put in or him standing out defensively, that is not perfection. I never said that these lads are the finished article, they aren't, I said that the vast majority aren't ready to play in the first team yet, they aren't. Using Mahoney as an example of someone that has made the step up is poor, he's done nothing in his career to date.

For anyone who wasn't at the game RV, I'd say your post above is the most accurate summation.

27 minutes ago, JAL said:

Rovers need to get a game on at Ewood against Chelsea and Man City's respective teams to see where our lads are at.

And would likely lose as would the majority of u23 teams throughout Europe not just England

those two sides are the stand outs at this level 

listen I'm not saying this Rovers u23 team is the 2nd coming far from it and Neither am I saying these lads are ready for the 1st team....but we won't know until they get a chance and we are talking League 1 here

I am saying though that the potential for some of these lads to kick on is there and the only way we will know is if they are given a chance to go through the levels you can't make a judgment on a player as some seem to think they can based on him playing u23s football

For example City have a young kid called Phil Foden if some watched him based on the comments on here he would be written off as he doesn't rip it up each and every game as what he does is keep it simple and uses the ball very well...but this kid has been allowed to go through the levels at City when asked he has shown he can do what he does for the youth team and at the highest level for City in the 1st team the same with Marcus Rashford at United same as Trent Akexander-Arnold and Ben Woodburn at Liverpool, Harry Winks at Spurs I could go on they don't change the way they play they just go to the next level 

so until some of these u23s are tested at the next level we won't know

going back to last night I stand by my comments with regards to J. Doyle he did his job in this formation and every player played their part and that's why the score line was 5-1....that's right 5-1 and it could have been more....

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, JAL said:

The Wolves keeper was nothing special nor his defenders so let see the quality of the opposition rise to form a better opinion.

The wolves keeper could do nothing with any of the goals Nuttalls finish for 2nd was class at any level of the game

and Wolves finished 2nd in this division last season and missed out on promotion against a very strong West Ham team in the play offs

33 minutes ago, SkipDonoghue said:

And would likely lose as would the majority of u23 teams throughout Europe not just England

those two sides are the stand outs at this level 

listen I'm not saying this Rovers u23 team is the 2nd coming far from it and Neither am I saying these lads are ready for the 1st team....but we won't know until they get a chance and we are talking League 1 here

I am saying though that the potential for some of these lads to kick on is there and the only way we will know is if they are given a chance to go through the levels you can't make a judgment on a player as some seem to think they can based on him playing u23s football

For example City have a young kid called Phil Foden if some watched him based on the comments on here he would be written off as he doesn't rip it up each and every game as what he does is keep it simple and uses the ball very well...but this kid has been allowed to go through the levels at City when asked he has shown he can do what he does for the youth team and at the highest level for City in the 1st team the same with Marcus Rashford at United same as Trent Akexander-Arnold and Ben Woodburn at Liverpool, Harry Winks at Spurs I could go on they don't change the way they play they just go to the next level 

so until some of these u23s are tested at the next level we won't know

going back to last night I stand by my comments with regards to J. Doyle he did his job in this formation and every player played their part and that's why the score line was 5-1....that's right 5-1 and it could have been more....

Ok, but you used the word perfection which do you admit was very misleading to the readers who weren't present.

• Like 1