BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Season 2015/16 Discussion

Everton mafia connection

It's interesting when you hear Varneys agent telling everyone how he brought Varney here, yet, Glen and Kamy claiming that Bowyer has the final decision.

Wonder who provides Gary with his list of targets or can we say hes told who he can get.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. I think the way to get the most out of Rhodes is a diamond formation. Quick striker up with him to stretch the defence, attacking mid in the hole to supply the through balls.

Would be quite effective I think. It helps if you have pacy full backs to supply the width and we have that in Henley and Olsson.

-----------------Raya

Henley---Killa---Duffy---Olsson

-----------------Lowe

-----Evans---------Cairney

----------------Marshall

------Rhodes----Pacemeister

That would be decent enough. Needlesstosay would like someone better than Evans on the right (maybe Lenihan could do a job?) and Cairney would need to learn to put his foot in more to protect the back four.

It certainly would suit Rhodes and Marshall.

So what lowes purpose in that team?

What. The first on the team sheet or Son in Law material?

or are you questioning his batting order Abbey?

lets say he's not bothered if someone has a boyfriend already . That's ALLS I'm saying .. Def not son in law material.

lets say he's not bothered if someone has a boyfriend already . That's ALLS I'm saying .. Def not son in law material.

Who cares? All's fair in love and war. It's up to the girl anyway and so long as it's not a mate it doesn't matter does it? tbh These guys only have to look at a girl and they can have her.

• Backroom

Who cares? All's fair in love and war. It's up to the girl anyway and so long as it's not a mate it doesn't matter does it? tbh These guys only have to look at a girl and they can have her.

A poor, but (sadly from my experience) true, indictment of girls. Very few seem to have any self-respect. In fact same goes for most people I come across who are my age (I'm 24).

The only people my age I've met who I can really associate with are also doing their PGCE. And the odd mate I've kept from my QEGS years.

didnt get her though

So what lowes purpose in that team?

Cover the back four.

Generally Lowe had a poor season but his best performance, and one of the best performances by any of our CMs last season, was with him as the base of a midfield diamond against Charlton.

It suits him. He has the legs to get across the back four and put tackles in. Put Williamson or Evans in there and the opposition would just go round them with pace.

Again if Lowe isnt up to it or injured Lenihan could go into that role.

Does Cairney have a position? Some say he's useless out wide. Others say he's too slow, left sided, crablike and weak to play in the centre

I think the role Cairney would suit the best is the number 10 role behind a striker. get him freedom and let him be the Rovers playmaker and dictate the tempo of Rovers play and style

Cover the back four.

Generally Lowe had a poor season but his best performance, and one of the best performances by any of our CMs last season, was with him as the base of a midfield diamond against Charlton.

It suits him. He has the legs to get across the back four and put tackles in. Put Williamson or Evans in there and the opposition would just go round them with pace.

Again if Lowe isnt up to it or injured Lenihan could go into that role.

if you'd have said 'to confuse the back four' then id agree with you, because that's all he does with all his running about like an headless chicken, he hasn't got a tackle in him and the majority of his passes are back to the defenders or keeper(which only puts them under more unnecessary pressure.

• Backroom

I think the role Cairney would suit the best is the number 10 role behind a striker. get him freedom and let him be the Rovers playmaker and dictate the tempo of Rovers play and style

Amazing how opinions differ. I think he'd be better sat in front of a back 4 (with Lowe) and a mobile attack of Rhodes and 3 midfielders (say Olsson, Conway, Marshall) to spray balls to. Then when we're on the front foot he should join the attack.

Unfortunately Tugay was a true master at this and I fear Cairney won't be seen as 'good enough' because of that.

if you'd have said 'to confuse the back four' then id agree with you, because that's all he does with all his running about like an headless chicken, he hasn't got a tackle in him and the majority of his passes are back to the defenders or keeper(which only puts them under more unnecessary pressure.

We'll have to agree to disagree. He's not perfect but can cover the back four well IMO.

Whatever Cairney's best or favoured position is, he is an important and useful player because of his versatility. He's certainly capable of playing on the right of midfield, in the centre of midfield and behind a striker, and in all three positions we have seen he can be a very decent player.

I don't buy that he is wasted on the right. I think the fact that he was our player of the season in 2013-14 having spent the vast majority of games on the right suggests he is capable of playing there week in week out and being effective.

I don't know the stats but would imagine that he has played on the right in 80-90% of the games he has worn a Rovers shirt. He's one of the few players we have, along with Marshall and Conway, who looks to get forward with the ball, create something, make something happen. Someone who has a go from the edge of the area or from free kicks.

He's a good age and is the type of player who, along with Marshall, we should be building around. Both have had issues with consistency, but on their day they can make things happen. We certainly shouldn't be entertaining thoughts of allowing him to move to teams that finished around us in the table last season.

Lose the creativity that Cairney and Marshall bring to the table and we're going to be struggling.

Archived