BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Season 2015/16 Discussion

A bit lively this post. I don't go to away matches very often nowadays am I still allowed to comment? For me, we are all Rovers fans, all have access to tv and online media and can all form an opinion either first hand or from afar. Pidgeon holing any fan who does not attend home and away every week as someone who should not comment on a message board is silly. Its easy enough to ignore if you wish to.

Note that 333 liked this comment. Also a bit odd as he penned the phrase 'Bowyer Hater' to me and seemingly believes that is both adult and perfectly acceptable.

Spot on. Who were the players overcome with enthusiasm to the point they could not perform?

Just as childish as calling someone a 'Bowyer Hater'. Time a few on here grew up, you included 333.

In fact, it is time we drew a line under some of the arguing, aggressive and irrelevant postings. Anyone logging on here every-day for their updates and little snippets of Rovers related news is welcome as far as I am concerned. Makes the board much more enjoyable and interesting with a decent cross section of Rovers fans commenting and posting. Its been tough at the club for all of us for way too long now. It's not improving anytime soon and silly name calling and bitching about who is actually allowed to post has a deleterious impact on the threads for all.

I'm not taking posting etiquette off you as you seem very selective with who you try to chastise. And for the record i contribute as much as anybody to the footballing discussions, and a lot lot more than you. So again, aim that little jibe at those that deserve it.

I agree it does make it interesting that a cross-section of posts and viewpoints makes the board more interesting, which makes me wonder why you get all defensive and upset when I post 'pro-Bowyer' posts. Get your own house in order.

I'll leave you now to start a few threads and keep the Board ticking over ;)

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jeez! That is precisely JR's weakness. If you want an example of a proper centre forward at work just remember the performance of Danny Ings down here last season.

So if Rhodes's movement is worthy of criticism then surely Gestede deserves it more-so as he rarely moves at all, no? Watch the two videos if you need to compare. I am not bashing Rudy, just stating the (your) criticism of Rhodes is often unfounded and inconsistent.

I think Rhodes is a much better and more intelligent player than Gestede but the constant comparison between the two of them by the Rhodes bashers is getting extremely wearisome.

It's like complaining about the difference between a Rolls Royce and a Bentley when the rest of the squad or fleet comprises of Austin Allegros.

gestede is no footballer Rev, he's just a big lad. I wouldn't get into an argument about which one is technically the best footballer because they're both poor.

However, as much as you don't like hearing it, all our better performances over the last couple of seasons have been when Rhodes hasn't played. They've basically been when we've played 4-5-1 without Rhodes (such as the Man City cup tie), or in the other cup games when King has got the rave reviews.

As for the "Rhodes bashers" - you can add both of his managers to that because one of them won't play him at all, - and the other one has dropped him on a number of occasions and IMO would probably have sold him, in order to reinvest that money, so as to strengthen the team, just as some fans think we should have done. It's been a huge amount of money wasted because it's got us nowhere - unless you believe that finishing 9th is a good return for the money.

And yes, this is all so boring now. But at least it's football talk, which is better than a lot of the crap being allowed to fester on here recently.

I don't understand how people are critical of Rhodes and gestede , I don't care when they have 20 goals each to offer a season. The amazing thing is I don't think they compliment each other well. If boring bowyer didn't have rudy as an option I wonder if he would have the nouse to set up a team that focused on Rhodes strengths ?

I don't understand how people are critical of Rhodes and gestede , I don't care when they have 20 goals each to offer a season. The amazing thing is I don't think they compliment each other well. If boring bowyer didn't have rudy as an option I wonder if he would have the nouse to set up a team that focused on Rhodes strengths ?

I agree with most of this post - apart from the bit in bold.

I think they do work well together and got better as the season went on. Their body language (particularly for celebrations) towards the end of last season spoke volumes.

Rhodes provides space for Rudy and he knows it. He may get similar in the PL but, and I stand to be proven wrong, I would not fancy Gestede as anyone's main loan striker. Not without two fast wingers at least.

Yes perhaps so , maybe they do its just a shame bowyer doesn't know what to do with them as a pair... I don't think it's an exact science either .. Although it's not perfect, based on what we have use Conway and marshal as proper wingers supplying them and a centre mid of a combination of the most solid and creative we have .... Lowe and cairney maybe...although hardly spoilt for choice

I agree with most of this post - apart from the bit in bold.

I think they do work well together and got better as the season went on. Their body language (particularly for celebrations) towards the end of last season spoke volumes.

Rhodes provides space for Rudy and he knows it. He may get similar in the PL but, and I stand to be proven wrong, I would not fancy Gestede as anyone's main loan striker. Not without two fast wingers at least.

Agree they can play together and have linked up well and laid goals on for each other a few times in the past 2 seasons. It usually coincides with the whole team playing well. When the defence is solid and the midfield get stuck in and we go at teams them two are usually too much to handle for a lot of defences. It should be like that more often.

They don't perfectly compliment each other and don't have that telepathic understanding but that doesn't mean it can't happen. The team needs setting up correctly instead of just aiming for Rudy and expecting Rhodes to feed off the scraps, mix it up. Get Conway as usual aiming for Rudy and tell Evans, Marshall etc to look to slide balls through to Rhodes.

Bowyer likes to talk of developing players when really he should talk of developing a TEAM, get those partenerships developed and settled and build on that. Centre halves, centre mid, centre forwards. Get them developing and leave them the fook alone unless there has to be a change.

Hell I only posted because I thought Spurr's reasoning was child-like in it's simplicity (we had Gestede and Rhodes last season and came nowhere) and thought it was as good a time as any to discuss the coming season :/

Funnily enough, we hear about how Rhodes has no pace no height no strength and yet he contributes variety of goals from both springing defences and winning headers as well as out-muscling and out-working centre halves. Been hearing all season how much slower he is than Rudy but I can only recall one goal where Rudy outruns a defender. Maybe that's because he's a touch lazier and lacks the movement of Rhodes?

Rhodes is good at springing defences when close to the box. But he suffers from not being able to get in behind a high line. That's the nub of it. Unless the oppo defence is very slow they can push up high and nullify him very easily.

I guess this is why we are looking for a pacy striking partner to replace Gestede to help him out and get the oppo to play deeper.

That would suit him well, especially if we can then drop Cairney or Marshall in the hole behind to thread through balls from around 30 yards out.

Also if we can get him in the box he will score headers from crosses.

Still reckon he will be sold though once someone finds 10 million quid.

Rhodes is good at springing defences when close to the box. But he suffers from not being able to get in behind a high line. That's the nub of it. Unless the oppo defence is very slow they can push up high and nullify him very easily.

I guess this is why we are looking for a pacy striking partner to replace Gestede to help him out and get the oppo to play deeper.

The fact Rhodes has managed to score so many without such a player to compliment him speaks volumes for his ability.

I do agree a pacy striker would help him out and should be a priority this summer in the likely event that Gestede departs.

The fact Rhodes has managed to score so many without such a player to compliment him speaks volumes for his ability.

I do agree a pacy striker would help him out and should be a priority this summer in the likely event that Gestede departs.

A lot of his goals are the result of very poor defending. Not knocking that - I love goals no matter where from - and we give away more than our fare share of clangers too.

But in the Premier League you get far fewer of those opportunities.

The fact is with his scoring record he should have been up in the Premier League years ago. Yet he hasn't been. Why? Fundamentally because it is felt he won't suceed at that level. Only one manager has felt different on that score - Steve Bruce.

However no one can argue that in the Championship he is utterly prolific and any team would want him.

Wasn't sure where to post this but as we are looking towards the new season and are unsure as to whether we will have either of our front two still playing for us next year, I thought I'd post it here.

Here are links to all Rhodes and Gestede's goals from this season.

Rudy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaYXvNHpFPs

Rhodes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwB9vI1wjf8

Needless to say, most of Rudy's goals come from being a powerhouse in the air, whilst most of Rhodes's come from great movement/finishing. Also JR creates a good number out of nothing with no one within 20 yards of him and chips in with a decent number of headers.

It does make me wonder whether Rudy would get found out at Prem level where it wouldn't be as easy to bully defenders in the air.

I thought at the time Liverpool figured out Rudi after about half an hour. They stopped challenging him in the air, stood off and let him have the headers or control it on his chest, then fairly easily dealt with him on the ground.

The argument is that you are one of the main culprits when it comes to posting off-topic in an insulting manner. You're far from being the only guilty party, with antagonists on both sides, but you contribute. You're not the batman mate, it's not up to you to shout down those who you believe to be bullies, especially by using the same childish, insulting tactics that you are apparently so against. It's rather hypocritical.

IMO we are all entitled to an opinion, regardless of attendance records, but seeing all this mindless bickering is getting boring. I quite like reading alternative viewpoints and challenging/debating them, but having to sift through pages of back-and-forth on each thread is tedious.

If you have a problem sifting then you should address that the the main culprit who posts inflammatory, provocative and repetitive comments multiple times on a daily basis. You haven't done that and its no surprise.

You're correct I'm not Batman, nor am I your 'mate'.

Not to be melodramatic but I'm pretty close to quitting this site. It has reached new lows of personal spats which would make 6 year old school kids embarassed.

I don't want to log on and read grown men (and maybe women? But I think it is mostly men) calling each other names.

Not to be melodramatic but I'm pretty close to quitting this site. It has reached new lows of personal spats which would make 6 year old school kids embarassed.

I don't want to log on and read grown men (and maybe women? But I think it is mostly men) calling each other names.

Before you do, have a go at using the ignore facility for a few choice folks. It does wonders for the perceived site dynamic.

It's easy to get fixated on the strikers, after all they score the goals we all want to see and we've seen some gooduns down the years. But for me we need a complete overhaul in defence or we're going nowhere. Even the player of the season isn't too good at what he's picked to do.

Then we move onto the midfield.......gulp!

It's easy to get fixated on the strikers, after all they score the goals we all want to see and we've seen some gooduns down the years. But for me we need a complete overhaul in defence or we're going nowhere. Even the player of the season isn't too good at what he's picked to do.

Then we move onto the midfield.......gulp!

Sorry pal I disagree with a change of manager roll of the dice that squad can challenge.. But we all know it's not going to happen. So frustrating 😤

Can any of the analysts on here have a quick look at Rhodes' championship league goals stats and see if they can pick out a trend?

2012-13 29 league goals

2013-14 25 league goals

2014-15 21 league goals

Anyone care to make a prediction for 2015-16?

Can any of the analysts on here have a quick look at Rhodes' championship league goals stats and see if they can pick out a trend?

2012-13 29 league goals

2013-14 25 league goals

2014-15 21 league goals

Hard to predict really depends if the master tactician decides to start most games with El Browniho to grab a bore draw against the big footballing powerhouses like MK Dons

If you have a problem sifting then you should address that the the main culprit who posts inflammatory, provocative and repetitive comments multiple times on a daily basis. You haven't done that and its no surprise.

You're correct I'm not Batman, nor am I your 'mate'.

You are a petty little fellow, aren't you? I addressed the hypocrisy in your response to me earlier. Simples.

I'm not taking posting etiquette off you as you seem very selective with who you try to chastise. And for the record i contribute as much as anybody to the footballing discussions, and a lot lot more than you. So again, aim that little jibe at those that deserve it.

I agree it does make it interesting that a cross-section of posts and viewpoints makes the board more interesting, which makes me wonder why you get all defensive and upset when I post 'pro-Bowyer' posts. Get your own house in order.

I'll leave you now to start a few threads and keep the Board ticking over ;)

Ok, no problem. If you still think its adult to call me and others a 'Bowyer Hater' you keep on going. Put it in capitals, itallics and make it bold if it amuses that much.

I don't get 'upset' or 'defensive' regarding your comments regarding Bowyer. He is pretty inconsequential to me as yet another over promoted coach retained by clueless no-nothings. You are just a number on here to me, who steadfastly supports him. Why should I be upset in anyway? Neither of you mean one iota to me.

Nothing lasts forever and hopefully Bowyer won't be here too much longer if we continue under-achieving so badly. Immediately descending into indignant big brother mode the minute he is criticised is quaint, but I really don't understand your logic.

For me, what can't speak cannot lie, so I can listen to the likes of you, or simply look at the league table. Where I see 20+ points off automatic promotion do you see a near miss?

2012-13 29 league goals

2013-14 25 league goals

2014-15 21 league goals

If we were to sell Gestede, and keep Rhodes then 30 ish again.

If we were to keep them both then 40 ish between them.

It goes without saying that if they're both fully fit and motivated (big if for Gestede next season imo) we're better off with both of them.

Hardly rocket science is it?

Archived