BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Season 2015/16 Discussion

Huh? No ulterior motive in my opinion. My viewpoint is based on what I saw week after week. I just don't buy into Cairney's view that he's a marked man and that's the result of his poorer performances. I don't know if there is an attitude problem there but he doesn't seem to have the same desire and commitment as before. Same can be said for a lot of players. I think other players in our team don't help Cairney either tbh. No movement around him, no real structure to allow him to thrive in. Our play has become predictable and as a result the only good performers this season have been Rhodes and Rudy who are exceptional players for this league (some would argue Rhodes hasn't had a good season but his goal return is still very good). Outside of the front two there is only Kilgallon and Olsson who are often under the cosh most games.

Do you believe with other aspects of my post or not? Out of interest.

A good player makes his own space..Cairney simply not upto it quality wise or most certainly fitness wise.

Fitness is a major issue regarding Rovers im afraid.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well you wouldn't would you, because it doesn't fit with your viewpoint. You obviously didn't read the article so i'll quote you the relevant part:-

"But I suppose after last season it was always going to be hard. Ive not had the space I had last season and I think more teams know more about me and know more about my strengths"

Cairney's words, not mine.

One's looking for an excuse for being a one legged lightweight crab. The others a Rovers fan.

He sounds a bit like he thinks he's a billy big @#/? in that interview. Management should have been far more demanding of him this season after the no shows he was putting right from the off. Playing him out wide upsets the balance of the team for me because he's always cutting inside onto his good foot and slowing the play right down, without the ball he just casually strolls about. He has the ability to play in the middle but again his workrate and attitude let him down. He should have had a rocket up him but I just couldn't see Mr Mild doing that to one of his young buddies.

• Moderation Lead

He's hamstring by his lack of pace and use of his right foot. Hence why I can't understand why the manager persists.

Before anyone says 'it works out well for Bayern/Barcelona'-their wingers are world class and rapid!

• Moderation Lead

Absolutely, or just in the centre ☺ It was frustrating beyond words to see Cairneyhill start on the wing, with existing wingers on the bench!!

Weirdly though Cairney was player of season in his first year, and he played that position predominantly then.

Khod knows my opinion on TC, he doesn't work hard enough to play in a 2 man midfield. It's a shame really, it's nothing to do with fitness, being slight, it's just his arse is never in gear IMO.

Williamson, Evans, Lowe for all their foibles, are grafters- TC is not.

Don't know where to put this but Darragh was captain of the u21s other night. Maybe he is a future captain for us?

http://mobile.rovers.co.uk//news/article/darragh-lenihan-republic-of-ireland-england-2484495.aspx

There is a very simple way out of this division, it goes a bit like this.

The team needs to defend from the very 1st minute to the last, that is the starting point and will lead directly onto point number 2.

The defensive line up needs to be settled from the off, it needs to be worked on all pre season and the plan must not be changed. That means a settled back 4 with options to cover injury and suspension. All the back 4 have to do is THEIR job and work for each other.

The back 4 - Henley Kilgallon Duffy Spurr

The midfield needs to be built around a playmaker, that person is CAIRNEY, he needs to be central to everything.

There needs to be a defensive king pin in there and that person is LOWE. He is fit, young and can run and he has shown he is prepared to put his head amongst it. LOWE needs another defensive breaking up midfielder who can put his foot on the ball, that man is EVANS. The 4th midfielder has to be a player capable of defending, attacking, scoring and creating. That role can be filled by either MARSHALL, CONWAY or OLSSON.

The midfield needs to have an inter changeability about it, that means players such as WILLIAMSON and maybe TAYLOR (if resigned) can fit in and do a job.

Up front, its not just about scoring goals its about creating and mucking in the team ethic. Goals are clearly what strikers are paid for. They require service but at the same time they need to be involved and to play their defensive duties.

The subs need to be players who are prepared to muck in despite being on the bench.

The manager needs to be tactically aware - sometimes GB has shown utter incompetence in this area and that concerns me greatly. His team set up has been totally naïve at times and it has shown and cost us dearly.

Off the park, the fans need to be in it from the off. The atmosphere needs to be positive and hostile towards the opposition and the players have to buy into it.

The first 10 games will define our season.

"But I suppose after last season it was always going to be hard. I’ve not had the space I had last season and I think more teams know more about me and know more about my strengths"

Cairney's words, not mine.

And presumably weaknesses too Tom.

There is a very simple way out of this division,

There is indeed a very simple way out of this division. It involves continuing down the road we have been on for the last 4 years. Exit from the league next May is very likely unless some fundamental changes are made very quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Without getting into another manager debate what should be the bare minimum for the upcoming season?

To me the minimum is a discernible improvement resulting in a better season than the one before last.

If we are not up there consistently in the top 6 and around the top six (within a win) then the season is a failure. Because if we don't set such a target then what is the point?

Even if we fail to actually finish in the top 6 we have to show that we are beginning to challenge and show consistency and learning from our mistakes.

Is that unrealistic given the tailor made excuse of FFP? Well yes. We have spent some decent money on what should now be a good spine to the team, to add to Rhodes, and other clubs have done wonders on less in the past.

The time excuses is over. The time for results has arrived.

With the restrictions FFP place upon us and the fact that we are likely to be under a transfer embargo until January, and probably until next summer, I would be happy with a finish somewhere between 8th and 12th. If we lost Gestede and/or Rhodes I'd be happy to finish anywhere above the bottom three! FFP simply means we can't compete with those clubs in this division who have money to spend. I notice Derby have just spent a few million on Weimann from Villa, whilst we are looking at players on frees who other clubs don't want. It's rather like when we beat Burnley 5-0 during the promotion season and Stan, quite rightly said comparing Burnley with the Rovers was like trying to compare a Ferrari with a Mini. Sadly, this season we are the Mini being asked to compete with quite a number of Ferraris. We can all speculate on what we should have done or could have done in the past - and we all know it should have been done differently - but the bottom line is that we are where we are at the moment and have to deal with 'what is' and not 'what might have been.'

Good question Shaun.

If Gestede and Rhodes have left then the target is mid table.

If Both are still here then I'm hoping for top 6 finish.

But with Derby spending big and bring good quality additions, Boro and Wolves looking to spend big aswell. Plus QPR looking to build good young side. I expected those to be top 4 looking at it at the moment

With the restrictions FFP place upon us and the fact that we are likely to be under a transfer embargo until January, and probably until next summer, I would be happy with a finish somewhere between 8th and 12th. If we lost Gestede and/or Rhodes I'd be happy to finish anywhere above the bottom three! FFP simply means we can't compete with those clubs in this division who have money to spend. I notice Derby have just spent a few million on Weimann from Villa, whilst we are looking at players on frees who other clubs don't want. It's rather like when we beat Burnley 5-0 during the promotion season and Stan, quite rightly said comparing Burnley with the Rovers was like trying to compare a Ferrari with a Mini. Sadly, this season we are the Mini being asked to compete with quite a number of Ferraris. We can all speculate on what we should have done or could have done in the past - and we all know it should have been done differently - but the bottom line is that we are where we are at the moment and have to deal with 'what is' and not 'what might have been.'

If we keep gestede and Rhodes even under ffp and the rest of the squad we should be in the play offs. I suspect you are down playing our squad and chances in order to make excuses for bowyer when he fails again. Without Rhodes and gestede I agree we will struggle but with 40 goals in the front 2 playoffs is a minimum even with bowyer. Not saying we're good enough to win the playoffs but getting there with those 2 is a must otherwise it's another failed season.

We can talk about FFP being a problem that is going to haunt and limit this club for years to come, but the last time I checked Derby, QPR and Middlesbrough are supposed to be under the same restrictions as ourselves.

Lets think about the Derby situation. In theory they are permitted losses of no more than £8 million in a year. In the last month they have sacked off Steve McClaren (a lot of money), employed Paul Clement on a reported multi-million pound contract, signed Weimann and Bent from the Premier League for several million pounds and good wages, and are expected to sign Tom Ince from Hull and Jason Shackell from Derby for several million pounds.

All the above are only possible if Derby made a profit of about £10 million in their last accounts. If they were breaking even as a club then the £8 million permitted loss would have been swallowed up by now with pay-offs and huge wages for this division (lets remember the very expensive loan signings last year of Bent, Lingard, Ince).

They haven't sold any players for big money. They haven't got Premier League income or parachute money. They only way they could possibly spend money like they have done in recent weeks and stay within the permitted losses of FFP is for them to have made a huge profit.

Championship clubs don't make profit. Certainly not at £10 million a year. Infact I'm sure the only club to make a profit last year was Blackpool.

FFP has failed.

With our squad and set up as it is especially with the front men half this division sees us as Ferrari's to their Fiestas. I too think we'll finish similar to last season if we keep the front 2 and they stay fit. Yet again that's just underachieving.

We can talk about FFP being a problem that is going to haunt and limit this club for years to come, but the last time I checked Derby, QPR and Middlesbrough are supposed to be under the same restrictions as ourselves.

Lets think about the Derby situation. In theory they are permitted losses of no more than £8 million in a year. In the last month they have sacked off Steve McClaren (a lot of money), employed Paul Clement on a reported multi-million pound contract, signed Weimann and Bent from the Premier League for several million pounds and good wages, and are expected to sign Tom Ince from Hull and Jason Shackell from Derby for several million pounds.

All the above are only possible if Derby made a profit of about £10 million in their last accounts. If they were breaking even as a club then the £8 million permitted loss would have been swallowed up by now with pay-offs and huge wages for this division (lets remember the very expensive loan signings last year of Bent, Lingard, Ince).

They haven't sold any players for big money. They haven't got Premier League income or parachute money. They only way they could possibly spend money like they have done in recent weeks and stay within the permitted losses of FFP is for them to have made a huge profit.

Championship clubs don't make profit. Certainly not at £10 million a year. Infact I'm sure the only club to make a profit last year was Blackpool.

FFP has failed.

FFP needs amending more like. There has to be a place for restraint and common sense or football will blow itself apart.

With our squad and set up as it is especially with the front men half this division sees us as Ferrari's to their Fiestas. I too think we'll finish similar to last season if we keep the front 2 and they stay fit. Yet again that's just underachieving.

I know our owners are unpredictable to say the least but I find it odd that you even think that is possible!

• Backroom

Hasn't Bowyer already stated that promotion is the target? I know In every interview he ever does he slips in the FFP stuff ever so well but I'm sure after the last game of the season he said promotion is the target, speaking to Pune again?

Hasn't Bowyer already stated that promotion is the target? I know In every interview he ever does he slips in the FFP stuff ever so well but I'm sure after the last game of the season he said promotion is the target, speaking to Pune again?

Promotion is the target for every club Tom and every manager at this stage will say that is the aim. Grim reality is somewhat different to optimistic expectation.

FFP needs amending more like. There has to be a place for restraint and common sense or football will blow itself apart.

I know our owners are unpredictable to say the least but I find it odd that you even think that is possible!

The existing rules have failed. If you are content for us to be restricted whilst rivals like Derby and QPR continue to splurge millions on players supposedly within the rules then we've got very different opinions.

Unless a strict blanket of equality is going to be imposed across every club in every division then it will be impossible to introduce restraint. There is too much at stake nowadays.

As it is we've got a mish mash of confusing, ambiguous and bizarre rules. Different rules for each division, scope for manoeuvre for clubs moving between leagues e.g. QPR, scope for allowance for those clubs supposedly on track to get losses under control.

All done in secret at Football League HQ. No transparency, no reasoning for their decisions. A thorough explanation of how/why Middlesbrough are able to lose £20 million last year (an increase on the previous year) yet these losses miraculously don't apply to FFP would be welcome, as would an explanation as to how Bolton can reduce losses from £40 odd million to less than the permitted £8 million in the space of 12 months would also be appreciated.

As I've already said in the past - those clubs that spend the money will succeed. Its the way football works now. Its all well and good sticking to some stringent financial model of not spending but it won't get us anywhere. We can either try to be competitive by spending in line with rivals in this division or become one of the small fry and allow our assets to be poached and slide down the league, probably into eventual League One (which appears to be where some people anticipate us as belonging).

Some people seem happy for us to stop spending, sell our best players and cut back whilst its absolutely fine for virtually every other club in this league (all making losses themselves) to

cart on splashing the cash. Entertaining the notion of us selling our best striker to a rival like Middlesbrough who can offer nothing as a club that we can't is a prime example. It shouldn't even be possible under FFP. Never mind entertained by the club or its supporters.

Of course our losses need to be brought under control, which I would like to think has been the aim of the last two years. Wages wise there should only be Rhodes and Best on big money and the latter is useless to the team. But there is a difference between getting the wage bill into sensible shape and stopping all spending. We need to remain a competitive force in this league and continue to look at doing deals like with Gestede, Cairney, Marshall, Evans, Duffy - good young players signed for reasonable money.

FFP has failed.

Definitely FFP is a joke. ..But I bet Derby have found a way of making the books seem like their complying with the rules ..Why can't our puppet board do the same

He said we had underachieved in a disappointing season. He said the play-offs next time round are the minimum target acceptable and finishing in the top two is the primary aim.

Bowyer knows we have a gargantuan squad and pay top dollar. He's not that stupid. He knows last season we / he badly under performed.

The target last year wasn't 9th :). Anyone pretending it was is simply having a laugh.

Promotion is the target for every club Tom and every manager at this stage will say that is the aim. Grim reality is somewhat different to optimistic expectation.

Sorry but you've just made that up. I don't remember Blackpool last year thinking they were going up with only eight players signed on.

So Bowyer has a job for life? No goals, no ambition, no targets. just tootle alone ad infinitum?

On another side issue will Weelock write an article in the LET without mentioning FFP? Even the "Tommy Spur - I'm selfish. I'll play anwhere as long as I get a game even if it's to the detriment of the team because there may better equipped players" article mentioned FFP even though it was irrelevant to that article.

I'm sure every fcker in the area is aware of it now Mr Weelock

Archived