BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Season 2015/16 Discussion

FFP needs amending more like. There has to be a place for restraint and common sense or football will blow itself apart.

I know our owners are unpredictable to say the least but I find it odd that you even think that is possible!

The squad as it is imo opinion is still good enough to at least have a crack at the play offs, on a fair wind of course. If what eminates from the club is an attitude of shoulder shrugging we'll happy with 10th/12th if we keep what we've got and they stay fit then it would be a poor attitude.

Welcome to the twighlight comfort zone !

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the restrictions FFP place upon us and the fact that we are likely to be under a transfer embargo until January, and probably until next summer, I would be happy with a finish somewhere between 8th and 12th. If we lost Gestede and/or Rhodes I'd be happy to finish anywhere above the bottom three! FFP simply means we can't compete with those clubs in this division who have money to spend. I notice Derby have just spent a few million on Weimann from Villa, whilst we are looking at players on frees who other clubs don't want. It's rather like when we beat Burnley 5-0 during the promotion season and Stan, quite rightly said comparing Burnley with the Rovers was like trying to compare a Ferrari with a Mini. Sadly, this season we are the Mini being asked to compete with quite a number of Ferraris. We can all speculate on what we should have done or could have done in the past - and we all know it should have been done differently - but the bottom line is that we are where we are at the moment and have to deal with 'what is' and not 'what might have been.'

Mick McCarthy seemed to manage a real shoestring budget rather better than GB has done, when you read that Paul Taylor was Ipswich's

highest paid player on £10k per week and he has only spent cash on one player(tiny fee) all the time he has been in charge.

If only the owners had enough sense (or cared enough) to realise it's a proper manager we need.

I suppose if they employed a proper CEO, we would probably have had one last December after Bowyer

had been sacked.

All this FFP stuff is crap - just an excuse for Bowyer.

Bottom line is there was nothing to stop Rovers legally challenging FFP and the transfer embargo, like QPR have, however, they chose not to.

So stop bloody moaning Bowyer - you are so lucky to have a job that pays you a fortune and for which, IMV, you are unsuited for.

All this FFP stuff is crap - just an excuse for Bowyer.

Bottom line is there was nothing to stop Rovers legally challenging FFP and the transfer embargo, like QPR have, however, they chose not to.

Nothing to stop us spending money? I can think of 100m reasons.

Nothing to stop us spending money? I can think of 100m reasons.

Here is the contradiction.

Venkys are meant to be squillionaires and our debt peanuts - according to some. That's the main defence people make for them. They simply have zero ambition for our club - either that or talk of their riches is cobblers - in which case we really are up the creek and ONLY Premier League football will save Rovers (in its current guise).

Still, on with the "Push For Promotion" and "Premier League Pledge".

I'm glad parson doesn't run the club as we would be stuck in this division forever more

Lol. That would be good news!

Whilst Parson has his opposite and more patient view to others there's no need to be disingenuous about it. Aren't we ina more tolerant mode these days?

£100m debt is irrelevant to FFP as its based on losses. As Venkys caused the debt the least they could do is wipe it and pay to put us back where they found us. Sadly they couldn't give a flying fook.

Here is the contradiction.

Venkys are meant to be squillionaires and our debt peanuts - according to some. That's the main defence people make for them. They simply have zero ambition for our club - either that or talk of their riches is cobblers - in which case we really are up the creek and ONLY Premier League football will save Rovers (in its current guise).

Still, on with the "Push For Promotion" and "Premier League Pledge".

Lol. That would be good news!

Hard for the club to market itself on promotion pushes and then justify mid-table finishes. Especially considering we rarely threatened the play-offs and that our record against the top teams was poor.

Of course PL football is our only salvation. If including the owners in the generic 'our' then the only way to recoup some of their losses is growing the business again. Be nice to have someone at the helm with a track record of growing football businesses, both administratively and managerially. Imagine how much cash a manager like Allardyce has made for club owners over the years.

If we don't change anything, I am unsure how anyone thinks things can change. Should GB remain and recognising our transfer blight, a new strategy might be the only way. Whether he can reinvent himself I don't know. Everyone's favourite Uncle needs to grab his moment.

I'm grasping at straws for him. I bet his head is spinning as well. Siege mentality? That might work but you'd ideally need a tough old bird in charge to pull it off. Total commitment to physical, direct football? No-one likes playing against it which is a start. Few like watching it either. Has worked before, but it's all or nothing really. Blanket defence and concentrate on clean sheets? All out attack? Try and get 30 points on the board before anyone wakes up? Might ultimately be the best bet with our better players upfront.

We can see what happens the next few weeks, but I'd be tempted to give them all two weeks training with the army lads pre-season. They won't need a ball. A wake up call might help a few remember how lucky they are to play sport professionally.

Siege mentality? That might work but you'd ideally need a tough old bird in charge to pull it off.

Agreed. I think he has tried this though but doesn't have the gravitas to pull it off. Doesn't help in a war against apathy either.

Total commitment to physical, direct football? No-one likes playing against it which is a start. Few like watching it either. Has worked before, but it's all or nothing really.

We don't have the personnel. We are far too soft-centred.

Blanket defence and concentrate on clean sheets?

This is Bowyer's main philosophy. I'd say it's harder to watch than direct football. Especially when it is used at the expense of, rather than as a platform for, attacking football. It's also not working.

All out attack? Try and get 30 points on the board before anyone wakes up? Might ultimately be the best bet with our better players upfront.

I genuinely think that the side that Bowyer has put together is built more for this style than any other. But asking Bowyer to deliver this is like an old lady leafing through the Haynes manual for a Ferrari Impreza, let alone driving it.

We can see what happens the next few weeks, but I'd be tempted to give them all two weeks training with the army lads pre-season. They won't need a ball. A wake up call might help a few remember how lucky they are to play sport professionally.

I would definitely consider this. It would certainly separate the men from the boys, or the Kilgallons from the Brownys.

Definitely FFP is a joke. ..But I bet Derby have found a way of making the books seem like their complying with the rules ..Why can't our puppet board do the same

Puppet board is irrelevant. Presumably Derby have people willing to invest and we have people who aren't. Not that I can quibble about the generosity of our lot given the amount they have blown, only about their naivety.

Mick McCarthy seemed to manage a real shoestring budget rather better than GB has done, when you read that Paul Taylor was Ipswich's

highest paid player on £10k per week and he has only spent cash on one player(tiny fee) all the time he has been in charge.

If only the owners had enough sense (or cared enough) to realise it's a proper manager we need.

Only if we know know how many players that Bowyer has signed are on more than 10k pw can we make adverse comment. He inherited a poor squad with a Premier league wage bill.

Archived