BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Danny Guthrie And Corry Evans

Let's hope Olsson is next.

am i the only one that thinks olsson is ridiculously over rated? take away his speed and your not left with much, he does seem like a nice lad and a good pro though, i personally think Spurr at his best(1st season form) offers more all around.

Happy Evans has extended his contract(although 4 years seems a bit excessive) I think there's still a lot more to come from him and hopfully PL can get the best from him, i think he is captain material when he's in form.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

am i the only one that thinks olsson is ridiculously over rated? take away his speed and your not left with much, he does seem like a nice lad and a good pro though, i personally think Spurr at his best(1st season form) offers more all around.

Happy Evans has extended his contract(although 4 years seems a bit excessive) I think there's still a lot more to come from him and hopfully PL can get the best from him, i think he is captain material when he's in form.

The only areas where Spurr is better in my opinion are his long throw and he does offer some versatility with an option to play him at centre half. Olsson is as good if not better defensively and offers a lot more going forward. I think his passing and crossing is so much better than Spurrs.

I think he has looked a lot better when we have played a high pressure pressing game - with short sharp passing - which seems to be what PL is been pushing - so he could get even better.

Yes - I'd say the key to Evans having a good game is playing it in the opposition half. Can short pass well, and press and crunch into the tackle when we're on the front foot. Really impressive.

However when we are pinned deep his long passing is woeful, giving the ball away again and again, while the oppostion just Waltz round him when in the charge. He's so ineffective.

Real chalk and cheese with him in my opinion. I think when he was signed there were some thoughts he could be a deep lying playmaker, but never the case. He needs to be up and in the oppos face. A budget Robbie Savage.

I think Olsson is a very good left back at this level. One of the positives of an awful five years - and an unexpected one (Is he our second longest serving player now??)

I used to think Spurr was decent but he doesn't look anywhere near the level he was before that injury.

Spurr certainly doesn't offer more than Olsson. Olsson's still improving and is now a good solid championship left back. Spurr is pretty one dimensional and seems to be now going backwards.

Spurr can go for me and I'm also not sure he's a Lambert type player.

am i the only one that thinks olsson is ridiculously over rated?

A Steve Kean signing that was originally brought here as a forward. While he was never played in that position, instead being initially played on the left wing, he was amongst the poorest players I'd ever seen in our infamous blue and white halves.

A few years on, and what a transition he's made to his new position. Striker to left-back. Like his twin brother, his defensive capabilities are average, but used in the right way as part of an attack, he is a great asset, particularly given that we do not have a natural left footer that can stream down the left. That's a good enough reason on its own to tie him down in a new contract. That Derby have come knocking for him, should speed up that process.

Would he have signed a new contract under Bowyer? Or, bearing in mind that he's now 27, would the ambition of promotion-hopefuls, Derby, be too much of a pull for him? We'll never know. Perhaps he's really settled at Rovers and doesn't want to leave. But something tells me that the Lambert factor will do no harm in helping us keep him on the books.

I know a couple of scouts of other Championship clubs and know for a fact that they gave the information to target the left hand side of our defence as it is a weak point.

Archived