BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Danny Guthrie And Corry Evans

On the basis of the last 3 games I feel these 2 players have been outstanding. I would go as far as to say that their CM partnership has probably been the best that we have seen in the last few years. Both these players were not match fit earlier in the season, but now they are looking really sharp and their forward passing and link up play has really impressed me. I really hope neither one picks up an injury as I can see these two cementing their place in the first team and yes based on their performances they will keep Jason Lowe out of the team! Onwards and upwards!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But you have overlook how good they played against Fulham and QPR.

Fans at QPR game said how impressed they were by Guthrie and Evans performances and how well they did as a partnership

Let's hope he doesn't bring his love child back

Let's hope he doesn't bring his love child back

Exactly.

Rather than trying to be portrayed as a plus point to Bowyers recent changes, it is actually the opposite. It just shows up what a complete buffoon Bowyer has been in insisting on Lowe when available.

It's a strange one with Evans. I went from being a really big fan to a really big critic last season, to the extent where I would have happily sold him.

More out of frustration as he clearly has ability as seen by his performances when he first joined us and for Northern Ireland. He just seemed to go into hiding in key games for us.

Pleased that he has found some form again and let's hope he has a big season for us.

It is also his first game against hull since they deemed him surplus to requirements after promotion; incentive for him on Saturday.

It's a strange one with Evans. I went from being a really big fan to a really big critic last season, to the extent where I would have happily sold him.

More out of frustration as he clearly has ability as seen by his performances when he first joined us and for Northern Ireland. He just seemed to go into hiding in key games for us.

Pleased that he has found some form again and let's hope he has a big season for us.

It is also his first game against hull since they deemed him surplus to requirements after promotion; incentive for him on Saturday.

He was decent early last season but very soon went off the boil like they all did. Again a lot of it is about the pairings and finding the right balance. He seems more fluid with someone like Guthrie next to him, probably has more confidence in a partner like him who's confident on the ball.

One of the best midfield displays came last season when he, Tunni and Lowe played together but it came too late as Tunni went back soon after.

I went through exactly the same opinions of Evans as you have. Moderately impressed when he first arrived, to thinking he was hopeless, to impressed again the last three games.

Personally I think hes just a lot happier playing on the front foot. The best part of his game is closing down, so when he is asked to play as a sitting defensive mid it just doesn't suit him, however push him forward like we have done and he is snapping into the tackle over and over again. Great to see. Also as his passing is not the best if we are playing higher up the pitch then he is passing shorter distances which suits him.

Also as Tom said having a technically decent partner in Guthrie I think helps all the midfielders as if you are in a jam you can give it to him. He's no Tugay, but he can turn and find a pass forward. Thank God.

If its a combo of Evans/Lowe/Williamson you've got a big problem where they all are just not that good at finding a clever pass when under pressure.

After Rhodes I'd say the one person we dont want to lose to injuries is Guthrie. It would have a huge impact on our game.

If he does that, then im afraid he should just come out and say, that he doesnt give a toss

I've seen Lowe play 3 times and, whilst I wasn't overly impressed by him, I could see that he covers a lot of ground which the manager might appreciate.

What do you base your seemingly scathing assessment of Lowe on?

The problem Chris, is not that he doesnt cover ground. He is primarily a defensive midfielder, who should be doing alot of hard work in midfield. You and me can run around aimlessly, but if we cant put our foot in, then we shouldnt be in that position.

The problem Chris, is not that he doesnt cover ground. He is primarily a defensive midfielder, who should be doing alot of hard work in midfield. You and me can run around aimlessly, but if we cant put our foot in, then we shouldnt be in that position.

I've seen Lowe play twice at full back where I thought he was decent and once in midfield where looked limited. The midfield game was against Swansea where he didn't really make much of an impression but did put in a shift and got into position to shield the centre backs. His passing wasn't great but he didn't look shy of tackling.

TV cannot pick up the nuances of a game or the spadework that goes on off the ball. As a player, coach and referee you should know that.

I've seen Lowe play twice at full back where I thought he was decent and once in midfield where looked limited. The midfield game was against Swansea where he didn't really make much of an impression but did put in a shift and got into position to shield the centre backs. His passing wasn't great but he didn't look shy of tackling.

TV cannot pick up the nuances of a game or the spadework that goes on off the ball. As a player, coach and referee you should know that.

I don't think thats really true. Theres a bit that happens off the ball, but I've never gone to a match live and thought "wow being able choose where I look rather than be guided by the TV camera has transformed my view of the player". You can tell whose good and whose bad on TV just fine.

Indeed the one live game I have managed this season, Cardiff at home, Lowe was absolutely terrible. This year he has got worse - maybe because of injuries or confidence. He's made some strong tackles occasionally (but totally dwarfed by Evan's efforts in recent games) but his passing has been truly truly woeful.

I don't think thats really true. Theres a bit that happens off the ball, but I've never gone to a match live and thought "wow being able choose where I look rather than be guided by the TV camera has transformed my view of the player". You can tell whose good and whose bad on TV just fine.

Indeed the one live game I have managed this season, Cardiff at home, Lowe was absolutely terrible. This year he has got worse - maybe because of injuries or confidence. He's made some strong tackles occasionally (but totally dwarfed by Evan's efforts in recent games) but his passing has been truly truly woeful.

We'd have to agree to disagree on the tv thing. I, by no means, watch games forensically but in my experience you even get a completely different view from the JW Upper than you do from behind the goal.

Chris i dont want to go through this whole tv vs live debate again. When Lowe gets the ball on tv or live, he is horrible with that ball at his feet. Whatever he does off the ball is irrelevant, if he cant do anything when he actually receives the ball. Coaches pick up these things quite quickly, and will know if a player is comfortable with and without the ball, but more importantly when he gets it.

If i play a 1-2 with another player, i cant give the guy a terrible pass, then run into space, and then moan when the player i passed to is struggling to give it back to me. You can run into space all day long, jog up and down the pitch, but if you struggle to give a straight forward pass, or look uncomfortable with the ball, then you are not a player.

Chris i dont want to go through this whole tv vs live debate again. When Lowe gets the ball on tv or live, he is horrible with that ball at his feet. Whatever he does off the ball is irrelevant, if he cant do anything when he actually receives the ball. Coaches pick up these things quite quickly, and will know if a player is comfortable with and without the ball, but more importantly when he gets it.

If i play a 1-2 with another player, i cant give the guy a terrible pass, then run into space, and then moan when the player i passed to is struggling to give it back to me. You can run into space all day long, jog up and down the pitch, but if you struggle to give a straight forward pass, or look uncomfortable with the ball, then you are not a player.

Lowe can play a straight forward pass from what I saw. If he does that and provides protection for the back four when playing in midfield then he could be a useful squad member. The little I've seen of him suggests that he doesn't have the vision or ability to effectively play further forward.

Lots of people on here who's views I enjoy reading aren't keen on Lowe. These are people who see him and the team regularly. It's posts like the one further up which I quoted which prompts me to react. It does grate a bit with me that you are so scathing and strident about a player that you haven't seen in the context of a live game at the ground and condemn him with such 'authority'.

Lowe can play a straight forward pass from what I saw. If he does that and provides protection for the back four when playing in midfield then he could be a useful squad member. The little I've seen of him suggests that he doesn't have the vision or ability to effectively play further forward.

Lots of people on here who's views I enjoy reading aren't keen on Lowe. These are people who see him and the team regularly. It's posts like the one further up which I quoted which prompts me to react. It does grate a bit with me that you are so scathing and strident about a player that you haven't seen in the context of a live game at the ground and condemn him with such 'authority'.

Again Chris, i dont understand your persistent idea, that being at a live game is important to see how not so crap a player might be, or at least less crap than what one would normally see on TV. I ask again, why is it so important to be at the ground, to see a player move around a few paces here and there? do you think if a keeper fumbles a ball, that its different on tv than being at the ground? a fumble is a fumble, or a player recklessly goes in on a tackle, that its different?

how often has our back 4 come under pressure, when nobody including Lowe provided extra protection in midfield? There is a reason alot of people dont rate him, and it doesnt concern watching him on tv or live at the ground

Lowe isn't supposed to be the 'footballer' in our side. He isn't supposed to be the one making a 1-2 and getting beyond the opposition midfield or back four. So it's not fair to judge him on that. What he is supposed to do is protect our back four. And quite honestly that's where I have a problem with him. I don't think he does that job well enough. Covering ground is great but all too often when the opposition play the killer ball which opens us up, he's a good ten feet away. Being a defensive midfielder isn't about covering lots of ground to no affect. It's about knowing where the danger is and being able to get yourself into position to defuse the situation. Quite frankly Lowe doesn't have the footballing brain to play in that position imo. Look around the world at the best defensive midfielders and they are generally the cleverest, most cute in their respective sides. I wouldn't expect Lowe to be at that level of course. But it is his undoing and I don't see what he offers in that position that Evans couldn't. To steal a phrase from the mercurial Stan Collynlmore :-/ a defensive midfielder should rat around. Sadly Lowe doesn't do that we'll enough. It's like having a jack Russell in the midfield. An old one. Which smells a bit and has developed arthritis.

Archived